MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things Judge Bev does that I hate is if she doesn't sustain the prosecution objection, she won't say overruled but instead takes over asking the witness the question herself rather than let the defense attorney ask it.

Having watched numerous other trials, most judges either rule sustained or overruled, but not Judge Bev. Rarely do I hear other Judges asking witnesses the questions. Judge Bev does it regularly.

One of the things Judge Bev does that I hate is if she doesn't sustain the prosecution objection, she won't say overruled but instead takes over asking the witness the question herself rather than let the defense attorney ask it.

Having watched numerous other trials, most judges either rule sustained or overruled, but not Judge Bev. Rarely do I hear other Judges asking witnesses the questions. Judge Bev does it regularly.
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if she has other public trials and does the same thing? Or if this case is by chance, a one off in dialect and ruling hmm

So Jackson wants to make the point that this LE witness illegally used federal resources for personal gain? He used the FBI computer to extract 2 text messages so he can hand them over to law enforcement. But this is use for personal gain, according to Jackson, and this witness is now a criminal???? Gimme a break. This is a clown show.

JMO
It’s great to hear that you would think it was a clown show if KR had been the one to use federal resources for personal gain, and destroy her phone the day before legal orders were issued to preserve it for evidence. It’s certainly the only fair way to look at it.

I know WS is pro-LE and I’m not trying to come off differently. But it’s WILD to me that people either can’t see the issue or don’t care about law enforcement acting this way. Everything BH did on Jan 29th is a huge problem and whether KR is guilty or not, the entire way that the Canton PD handled this situation is gross.

A non-Canton police officer was allowed unfettered access to the police department, information from the police chief and access to evidence storage, all without being forthcoming about BEING AT THE CRIME SCENE, and communicating with the homeowners.
I agree.
I would think that most people would not want their loved one's blood collected in borrowed Solo cups.
Maybe they lack empathy for others. Or blindly believe that law enforcement never makes mistakes.
Or they feel special and that KR's situation would never happen to THEM.
It could happen to any of us. That alone should concern the average citizen.

I don't have $10,000 handy to post bail at any given time.

Exactly ! In that sickening phony voice....." Did you know that, Mr Higgins?" Cripe ! Of course Mr Higgins is gonna say No !!!

Yeah that stands out to me too and it's bs imo. Seems like a control and micro managing issue, she takes over and rushes the process. It denies the attorneys their own agency imo.

I've seen a lot of cases where the defendant claims that their electronic devices are somehow wrong: GPS, texts, emails, phone calls, browser searches, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen one where it was the prosecution that was claiming the electronic devices are wrong. And not just once, but several different commonwealth witnesses claim to have malfunctioning phones.
and a world's record for "butt dials"

they'd probably share a meal followed by a relaxing game of charades

Today was the first time that I've seen a witness on the stand under cross examination to be able to leave the court room to discuss with his lawyer. Why was this allowed - even encouraged - by the judge?

Surely not normal practice or we would see it more often?

And agree it was pointless, and IMO not correct, to allow a line of questioning only subsequently to sustain every objection raised.

@DeDee So chilling. She had done everything to please him and seek his/his friends’ approval and how dare he dump her. Likely, in the beginning she put him on a pedestal bending backwards to please him and when she couldn’t control him anymore she devalued him and killed him in her enraged state. I’m getting the sense she has a distorted idea of what a relationship looks like - possibly in her mind it’s this formulaic thing, I please you by doing this, now you have to please me by doing that. He was committing a grave/unforgivable sin by dumping her, in her eyes. She was auditioning for marriage and he pulled the rug from under her.

JMO
I assume you forgot to add the sarcasm emoji, correct?

I wonder if defense will have time and resources to acquire a representative record of JMc's calls and texts, say for the last year, to demonstrate that serial butt dialing isn't something she habitually engages in, but on the contrary is something she did on one occasion only; for 20 minutes between... what was it?...c 12.30am & 12.48am ? on 29th Jan 2022. That would be very strong circumstantial evidence in support of her lying imo and really highlight how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Hope they call her and present her with the (hypothetical) data

"...take all the time you need, the two second unanswered serial 'butt' calls are highlighted in pink... no no all seven of them are on page 1...but ofcourse feel free to read the entire print out"

You know what? I am pizzed off at Judge Bev !

She KNOWINGLY allowed these ill gotten screen shots/texts from Brian Higgins to come in. We got to read each and every one. Over 70 plus pages. Including the sensitive and kind..." Did they bang?". It all was just so childish and obnoxious. " Is your thong twisted?"

And yet....when the defense is up for Karen Read, Judge completely whacks them off at the knees like a Mob Boss, and sustains every question asked regarding the how and whys of their existence. She did not allow the defense to complete their thoughts and direction for due diligence. No wonder KR actually went up to the sidebah at the end! Hope she spoke out loud to the judge.

Grrrr
I think this would apply to any judge in Norfolk County, MA. Which is why (IMO) this trial should have been moved to a different county. The defense case is levelling serious allegations against emergency response workers in her county which merit enough foundation for an ongoing federal investigation, and she is clearly in a difficult position trying to adjudicate it. But at the same time aunty Bev has to try and ensure a fair trial. Oh and one of the main "third party culprits" (IE the guy who was on the stand today) is also a Fed.

If KR is somehow convicted she would break the world record for the defendant with the greatest number of grounds for appeal.

Today was the first time that I've seen a witness on the stand under cross examination to be able to leave the court room to discuss with his lawyer. Why was this allowed - even encouraged - by the judge?

Surely not normal practice or we would see it more often?

And agree it was pointless, and IMO not correct, to allow a line of questioning only subsequently to sustain every objection raised.
Maybe for the record. And the jury heard all of the questions and I'm betting they're pretty savvy people. If the prosecution is objecting to the question, you can guess the answer will be incriminating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oOoJodieoOo