MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post in thread 'MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4'
MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

IMO only, I wonder if she googled how long it would take for someone to die in the cold before they dumped him out there to die? If it was just being discussed as a possible way to deal with the “problem”, but it would make sense they wanted to know how long it would take for someone to freeze to death. If it would take too long, they would need a different plan. If that’s what happened, the timeline makes sense. Googling just before 2:30am, snow plow comes through at 2:30, body dumped outside at some point after.

That's a possible scenario. But the defense needs to get their story straight.

What was her plan with Brian Higgins? It’s a very curious thing. She just out of the blue starts texting him days before she killed John. Calling him “hot” repeatedly and planting a kiss on him. She wasn’t interested in him romantically because he made sure to ask her what she wanted repeatedly and she was quite vague. He was on to her manipulation but was also flattered and curious.

JMO

Post in thread 'MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4'
MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

IMO only, I wonder if she googled how long it would take for someone to die in the cold before they dumped him out there to die? If it was just being discussed as a possible way to deal with the “problem”, but it would make sense they wanted to know how long it would take for someone to freeze to death. If it would take too long, they would need a different plan. If that’s what happened, the timeline makes sense. Googling just before 2:30am, snow plow comes through at 2:30, body dumped outside at some point after.
Nightowl, responding to the poster you responded to with a possible scenario

There's speculation JO was moved from the backyard to the front at a later time. And then the statement by Loughran of a ford edge being parked on the street near the location where JO's body was found

Now, in a new motion filed on September 1, Read’s attorneys are seeking GPS records from the town of Canton that they believe will further corroborate the testimony of a veteran DPW plow driver —Brian Loughran — who was responsible for plowing Fairview Road onthe night in question.
Brian Loughran, according to the defense motion, emphatically told both a private investigator hired by Read and officers of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) that he made multiple passes by the Alberts’ home between 2:30 and 3:30 a.m. on January 29, 2022 and O’Keefe’s body was not on the lawn where he was found by Read shortly after 6 a.m. Loughran’s testimony, the defense motion alleges, directly contradicts the commonwealth’s assertion that O’Keefe had been “lying incapacitated in Brian Albert’s front yard” since around 12:30 a.m., when he was allegedly struck by Read. The defense also cites additional testimony by Loughran claiming to have observed a vehicle he believed to be a Ford Edge parked near the location of where O’Keefe’s body was discovered sometime after 3:30 a.m.
Loughran’s testimony, according to the defense motion, not only establishes reasonable doubt as to the commonwealth’s version of events; it also highlights what they allege to be “extraordinarily misleading and inaccurate information” provided by State Trooper Michael Proctor, a Canton resident and one of the investigators handling the case. Specifically, the defense references a police report prepared by Proctor on February 3, 2022, which cites an interview with DPW Superintendent Michael Trotta stating that “no snowplows were dispatched to the area of 34 Fairview Road” during the snowstorm on January 29. According to the defense motion,however, not only is that statement “patently false,” but two DPW employees, Brian Loughran and Bill Walsh, reportedly told the defense team’s private investigator that Loughran was in fact dispatched to plow Fairview Road.

What was her plan with Brian Higgins? It’s a very curious thing. She just out of the blue starts texting him days before she killed John. Calling him “hot” repeatedly and planting a kiss on him. She wasn’t interested in him romantically because he made sure to ask her what she wanted repeatedly and she was quite vague. He was on to her manipulation but was also flattered and curious.

JMO
He was definitely flattered and interested in her, no question. All he had to do is tell her they could talk when she and JO broke up, but not before that, as he wasn't going to go behind his friend JO's back. However, he did not do any of that, so his character is a bit questionable at this point IMHO.

For those who believe KR killed him (on purpose or by accident), I’ve not seen any reasonable theory or explanation for the 2:27am google search. Do people truly believe the FBI experts somehow got it wrong, along with all of the others who investigated that particular issue? Why would JM be googling that in the middle of the night, hours prior to his body being found? Is there a reasonable explanation?
this stuff is all too technical for me (I glaze over at some of the experts) but Vinnie P. had a guest on ...an expert of sorts on phone records. She said when you. open a window on your phone and google such as what Jen did that night in bed..something about sports and then she put the phone down..left window open and when Karen asked her in the morning to do the search it reverts back to the time the "window" was open. I am sure there are experts that will debunk this. This search is a real smoking gun for the defense.

this stuff is all too technical for me (I glaze over at some of the experts) but Vinnie P. had a guest on ...an expert of sorts on phone records. She said when you. open a window on your phone and google such as what Jen did that night in bed..something about sports and then she put the phone down..left window open and when Karen asked her in the morning to do the search it reverts back to the time the "window" was open. I am sure there are experts that will debunk this. This search is a real smoking gun for the defense.
Yes, prepare for the battle of the experts. Who you gonna believe?

“It’s a fascinating trial, it’s grabbed everyone’s attention across the country,” said Boston defense attorney William D. Kickham, one of the two experts the Herald spoke with to analyze what has been presented after four weeks of trial. “It’s an amalgam of jealousy, possible lies, possible sex, a number of human behaviors that combine to create a very compelling story.”

Chris Dearborn, a Boston defense attorney for three decades and a clinical law professor at Suffolk University Law School, said the police’s handling of the physical evidence in the case is “a ripe area for cross-examination and argument for the defense.”

“You have all the weird stuff with the texts, and the love interests and the oddities with the forensic evidence and the oddities with the cell phones,” he said. “There’s enough here that may not add up and give the jury pause. It just depends on whether or not that gives them enough pause for reasonable doubt and acquittal.”

“Nothing about the scene was standard,” said Canton Police Lt. Paul Gallagher, who arrived at the scene along with the sun and took control following the initial witness statements and O’Keefe’s removal by ambulance.

“The fact that they used red SOLO cups ostensibly from an unopened package doesn’t change the calculus for me,” Dearborn said. “We think of college kids drinking beer and playing drinking games, that’s what we use red SOLO cups for.”

“I do appreciate that sometimes police need to be creative under pressure, but they have to expect to be thoroughly challenged by the defense, especially in a homicide case,” he added. “The general principle here is that jurors have the right to expect high-quality police work in how they maintain and preserve forensic evidence.”

JMO
it is interesting timing....personally I think things had been going really bad at home with JO. Was listening to some pre trial hearings and it sounds like the children (at least one) will be witness for CW that in Aruba after the Sullivan rant she came back in the room and in front of them and the fight continued. Things were bad and Higgins seemed like an easy target too get going in this game of flirting and hoping to make JO jealous? If true that the children will be on the stand how very sad but they are in the absolute best position to talk about how things were at home. But how does defense cross them? I think they have to because that testimony will be bad for them. Per these hearings JO had tried repeatedly to get her to move out but she did not. This is probably old news to some here but I am getting caught up.

But if I were to guess, AJ doesn't have a military background.
snipped.

Alan is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, where he served honorably as a jet engine mechanic.

I've watched many trials and this is the first time I have seen an attorney confer with a witness while testifying. Wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes that BH would need his attorney's assistance while on the stand? Wondering if it has to do with the ongoing Federal Investigation? Could it involve the proffer? So many questions..... JMOO

I've watched many trials and this is the first time I have seen an attorney confer with a witness while testifying. Wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes that BH would need his attorney's assistance while on the stand? Wondering if it has to do with the ongoing Federal Investigation? Could it involve the proffer? So many questions..... JMOO

Just speculation from a non-lawyer, but I wonder if it was because Jackson was citing actual statutes and specifically asking him if he violated the law. Answering that could be self-incrimination so he had the right to consult with his attorney to see how he should respond and if he should take the Fifth.

Of course, the questions were all objected to and sustained, so the whole thing was moot anyways.

Any attorneys want to comment?

there was a break....he left the stand I assumed to use the restroom but then was asked about meeting with the attorney. BH is under fire here for so much. Why did the judge just act like that was normal? Maybe I missed it and the break was for that purpose. explanation above makes sense about the statutes.

@ch_13, the previous thread was finished and I wanted to comment on Higgins's cross. For me, it was the most amusing part of the trial, so far. So I hope I "re-copied" right. I needed the text to look before I'd answer.

He is a sketchy person, period. Not anyone i'd ever trust to be a friend, and i am surprised that KR didn't see it.

Yes, BH was coached by his attorney. But if I were to guess, AJ doesn't have a military background. So the whole dialogue was like, "so, you said that at three o'clock pm you went to that watering hole?" "No, I said I was at the watering hole at fifteen o'clock". "That's what I say...", "no, this is not what I said", and KR looking imploringly at AJ, "why don't you go for the jugular?" Not so easy...

(Has anyone tried crossing the state borders? The best way to answer is, "yes, sir. Three days, sir. Pleasure, sir!" I can't do it, so even truthful "I am going to Canada for shopping" turns into a lengthy interrogation.)

But Higgins didn't offer AJ this possibility. Plus, he is smart. "They served beer so I realized it was going to be a short evening for me". Personally, I have a lot of questions about what they really served at BA's house, but, by joking, BH simultaneously made things easy for BA (it is beer, after all, not whiskey) and put himself out of the ring of fire ("they served beer, so it wasn't a long party for me"). AJ is good because of high level of aggression, but here, it was like playing tennis with a tennis wall. You get all your serves back.

And AJ seemed to acknowledge it by mentioning that BH had a military background.

All I got from this cross was that for smart, organized men with military background, you have to hire military attorneys. Dramatic antics don't work here. Just an interesting observation. I don't think we'll get any justice for JO, but this trial is surprisingly dull. Higgins was interesting.
BBM - i think most of these people are/were functioning alcoholics imo.
the rest - i wont lie i am confused by what you're trying to say regarding BH's military service/AJ's lack of??

there was a break....he left the stand I assumed to use the restroom but then was asked about meeting with the attorney. BH is under fire here for so much. Why did the judge just act like that was normal? Maybe I missed it and the break was for that purpose. explanation above makes sense about the statutes.
Poster above advised statute questions were sustained by the judge. And he did confer with his attorney for a very short time. Heard, but not sure, that attorney said he could take the 5th. All very strange.

JMO
Respectfully, this has been gone over multiple times

It was mentioned during testimony yesterday, when A Jackson questioned Higgins on the first legit interview with him conducted by Proctor and Bukenick...which happened on Feb 3rd, 2022. Q: 'Where was that interview held?" A : "Sharon MA''. Q: " It wasn't at any Legal Office or Police station, was it?". A: "No"

Now, in re-watching testimony, and realizing that some Medical Records of B Higgins were recently obtained, it is my opinion that Higgins planted himself in a Rehab facility in Sharon. Obviously, after his drinking issues/ black out history/ anger issues with a 10 year old nephew over a video game..noted . But, to me? This guy had some serious guilt issues when it came to reality smacking him in the face. What did he do on the early morning hours of Jan 29th? ( After drinking the whole day and night) He went to rehab to hide. And Proctor knew it as well.

MOO

Thanks for bringing this to the thread! I posted the other night about it when it was live, found it quite helpful.

The thing I don't like about that clip is that the reporter says that the street was pitch black. You can clearly see street lights on the streets that he is driving thru. I counted at least 3 of them. There is no accounting for any secondary lights that may have been coming from other properties such as porch lights, indoor lights, and spot or flood lamps, which may have been left on for the night during a snowstorm so that anyone plowing the driveway doesn't run over the lawn, or hit any cars that may be in the driveway.

That's a possible scenario. But the defense needs to get their story straight.
Not really. The prosecution bears the burden here, not the defense. Any number of plausible scenarios could’ve happened. That’s the whole point. The defense doesn’t have to figure out exactly which one of those scenarios occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517