MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the audit of the canton police dept is making progress. The citizens of canton are being heard.
Snipped
McCarthy said his proposal is for the audit to examine all police operations, policies and procedures, including citizen complaints;Select Board overview; crime scene protocols; professional standards and accountability; organizational structure and hierarchy; citizen privacy protection; training programs and standards; and potential areas of conflict of interest.
Clough’s proposal, first read to the committee at the meeting,contained many of the items mentioned by McCarthy but also included a review of the Police Detail Fund as well as evidence room procedures,internal affairs and instances of police misconduct, overtime and cell phone policies, and police officer training standards.

A theory is that JO may have been hit by a plow? Did the jeep with the plow belong to BH? Could that plow, (which would have had no reason to be lowered) have hit JO? MOO. Interesting that BH did not exclude the possibility of JO being in the house. He saw a 'A tall man with dark hair'.

For those who believe KR killed him (on purpose or by accident), I’ve not seen any reasonable theory or explanation for the 2:27am google search. Do people truly believe the FBI experts somehow got it wrong, along with all of the others who investigated that particular issue? Why would JM be googling that in the middle of the night, hours prior to his body being found? Is there a reasonable explanation?

There is simply no explaining that away. Adding in the FBI investigation determination that JO injuries are not consistent with being hit by a car, and that the damage on KR car is not consistent with hitting someone. I have changed my position on this case. I do not think that KR car hit him. MOO.

So, this is weird. More coincidences. See link to Canton Citizen article at end of post. Lank and Kevin Albert were the responding officers. Again, “nothing to see here” by Lank and Albert. The investigation was completing about the time of JOK death. Can read the report (redacted) https://www.scribd.com/document/596...e-former-Stoughton-Police-Department-officers Then, I remembered JOK was assigned to the sex crimes unit of BPD.. Did he find out something that was supposed to stay buried? New allegations reported in Sandra Birchmore case | Canton Citizen

So, this is weird. More coincidences. See link to Canton Citizen article at end of post. Lank and Kevin Albert were the responding officers. Again, “nothing to see here” by Lank and Albert. The investigation was completing about the time of JOK death. Can read the report (redacted) https://www.scribd.com/document/596...e-former-Stoughton-Police-Department-officers Then, I remembered JOK was assigned to the sex crimes unit of BPD.. Did he find out something that was supposed to stay buried? New allegations reported in Sandra Birchmore case | Canton Citizen

Here's the Websleuths thread on Sandra's death:

Last month the Boston Globe reported that the FBI was looking into Sandra's death, something that had long been suspected. There's some indication that the Karen Read and Sandra Birchmore investigations are actually linked together as a part of a larger federal probe into police corruption in Massachusetts.

very curious about the tail light pieces- they either definitely come from her car or they do not- curious if some car expert has reassembled and maybe tested them.
Of course! Why this hasn't been done is beyond me. I'm sure that's a thing that is verifiable, has to be. Hm, which makes me think they've already verified it by expert, and it just hasn't been presented in court yet. Because surely they wouldn't claim these came from her car if it could be proven otherwise?? Or maybe they would, audaciously thinking no one would even challenge them on this? But the defense mentioned this explicitly, scoffed at it in fact, when they said the chief just HAPPENED to be passing by when he saw the pieces from a MOVING vehicle after the site had already been searched MULTIPLE times etc etc. So if D talked about it like that, makes me think they've already done the testing themselves and ruled them out.

Well, as u said, they either came from her vehicle or they didn't. And I can't see why they wouldn't be able to tell which it is. So I guess I just expect that to still be upcoming in the trial.

very curious about the tail light pieces- they either definitely come from her car or they do not- curious if some car expert has reassembled and maybe tested them.
Defense will won't deny that the tail light pieces came from her car, but they will show they were planted at the scene, probably by Proctor. Moo. Even if they can't prove who or how they were planted, they'll show BARD that KR's tail lights were intact at five am that morning. Really pieces of her tail light being found on the lawn is academic any way. Defense will have already shown it wasn't through hitting JO that the pieces ended up there. jmo

There is simply no explaining that away. Adding in the FBI investigation determination that JO injuries are not consistent with being hit by a car, and that the damage on KR car is not consistent with hitting someone. I have changed my position on this case. I do not think that KR car hit him. MOO.
Yep I've been forced to take that position too. Didn't happen

I’m almost caught up, watching the defense with BH.

I agree with most others that many/most of the witnesses are obviously lying to the point they have no credibility.

Let’s say KR didn’t hit him and something happened in the house…..i just can’t believe out of a dozen or so witnesses, that just one of them wouldn’t have a conscience at some point. They’ve had 2 yrs …… to let an innocent person take the blame for something she didn’t do. That’s where I get stuck.

I agree with most others that many/most of the witnesses are obviously lying to the point they have no credibility.

Let’s say KR didn’t hit him and something happened in the house…..i just can’t believe out of a dozen or so witnesses, that just one of them wouldn’t have a conscience at some point. They’ve had 2 yrs …… to let an innocent person take the blame for something she didn’t do. That’s where I get stuck.

Yeah it does seem crazy ... but once one person with something to lose has told a lie, everyone else is stuck in that world JMO

They are all 'family' or don't dare, so the I didn't see anything, hear anything or remember keeps them 'safe'.

Defense will won't deny that the tail light pieces came from her car, but they will show they were planted at the scene, probably by Proctor. Moo. Even if they can't prove who or how they were planted, they'll show BARD that KR's tail lights were intact at five am that morning. Really pieces of her tail light being found on the lawn is academic any way. Defense will have already shown it wasn't through hitting JO that the pieces ended up there. jmo
For me, the outcome of this trial depends on the darn tail light pieces. Can defense actually convince a jury that one or more persons were responsible for gathering her tail light pieces and placing them on the lawn?

For me, the outcome of this trial depends on the darn tail light pieces. Can defense actually convince a jury that one or more persons were responsible for gathering her tail light pieces and placing them on the lawn?
I was thinking about that too but I suddenly realised planting side of it is icing' on the cake. Because if defense are successful in showing that KR's passenger side tail light was intact at five am.,then jury cannot logically conclude that the shards got there via impact with KR's lexus at 12.30 am. The cw's case falls apart right there if you see what I mean. moo

eta so thinking it through further seems the cw are going to need to go hells bells with some expert to try and convince jury that yet another piece of digital evidence, the five am ring cam footage in this instance, is wrong in some way. That has to be priority one for the cw imo or seems to me case falls apart completely.jmo

Last edited:
I was thinking about that too but I suddenly realised planting side of it is icing' on the cake. Because if defense are successful in showing that KR's passenger side tail light was intact at five am.,then jury cannot logically conclude that the shards got there via impact with KR's lexus at 12.30 am. The cw's case falls apart right there if you see what I mean. moo
I see what you mean. ;)

IMO the chain of evidence on KR's car and tail light and the way the shattered pieces were found is so suspect I can't give it any weight. But mainly the unbiased FBI report of experts saying the damage to prove KR's car didn't hit JO seals it for me.

Don’t disagree at all. And yet might another factor be….. if they were located or lain there, might a plow have moved them or strewn them from an original location? And if so, then might be impractical to determine the original location as well? MOO

By my way of thinking, the point of impact should have been on the street and therefore if the tail light cracked upon impact the pieces should be on the street, not in the lawn. I am not sure what location the Chief purported to find the pieces of tail light but that could be a big deal to me.

Don’t disagree at all. And yet might another factor be….. if they were located or lain there, might a plow have moved them or strewn them from an original location? And if so, then might be impractical to determine the original location as well? MOO
Great point that I have not taken into consideration.

By my way of thinking, the point of impact should have been on the street and therefore if the tail light cracked upon impact the pieces should be on the street, not in the lawn. I am not sure what location the Chief purported to find the pieces of tail light but that could be a big deal to me.
COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS
SUPREME JUDICIAL COURT FOR SUFFOLK COUNTY
SUFFOLK, ss. NO. SJ-2023-______
NORFOLK SUPERIOR COURT
NO. 2282-CR-00117
KAREN READ,
Petitioner
v.
THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS,
Respondent

snipped
According to Detective Michael
Lank’s testimony before the Grand Jury, on February 4, 2022
(one full week after Mr. O’Keefe’s passing), Ken Berkowitz
(“Chief Berkowitz”), the Chief of the Canton Police
Department, purportedly drove by the Fairview Residence and
saw — from his moving vehicle — an additional piece of red
plastic that was consistent with the taillight of Ms.
Read’s vehicle. R.A. 149; R.A. 448.It is worth noting that
this was a scene that had been searched, re-searched, and
searched again by no fewer than three sets of police
officials. Id. Yet Chief Berkowitz claims that he glanced
from his moving car while driving, saw a shard of lens
material on the ground many yards away and — at speed —
recognized the shard’s evidentiary value, and stopped his
car to report the finding. R.A. 448;R.A. 511-512. One of
the officers under the Chief’s command, Kevin Albert, is 34
Fairview Road homeowner Brian Albert’s brother. R.A. 448.

https://elderlaw.info/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/sj-2023-0343-petition.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member