MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you’re saying ok. I guess my question should be directed toward why the cell phones of anyone in the house weren’t investigated during the investigation of the death.

Finally re: JM cell records.
Good question , as a person who has followed many cases where a person was murdered and hauled to the yard just feet outside ,where their body was found (most have ended up in plea deals)
All of the phones at the scene when the body was found should have had a PC SW to secure them when the murder was discovered. Even if this was an unattend death invstigation for 20 minutes.

Legal analyst review of search warrant for KR phones, which many opinions feel that since she’s known to be a witness in the federal investigation that it’s a way to get into her phones and gather information on what’s going on with the fed investigation. That’s one-sided speculation of course but these happenings are unusual at minimum.

Last edited:
Attorney Timothy J. Bradl, representing Kearney, issued the following statement:

I read the search warrant affidavit unsealed today in the Karen Read matter. It appears to be a single spaced 30 page story about how the state police went to unbelievable lengths (taxpayer funded trip to California!) to try to establish … drumroll …that Aidan Kearney and Karen read communicated with each other. It is an investigation without a crime. It appears to me that there is zero evidence that Karen Read intended or had anything to do with any witness intimidation or interference, and rather is a woman fighting for her life as a target of a murder charge.

She is entitled to wield inalienable rights under the first, fourth, fifth, and sixth amendments to defend herself. She also has a special right under our Massachusetts Constitution, which precedes and is the model for our US Constitution, in its Article 12, "to produce all proofs that may be favorable to [her]." This provision gives her broad rights and privileges to explore all avenues in her defense--a sacrosanct right to defend herself. She can share information with whomever she wants, speak out against her enemies, associate with anyone she pleases, and seek to keep it secret if she wants. It is chilling to read about law enforcement poring through defense phone records and texts intended to be private and confidential, and then laying out these protected and legal actions as if they are elements of a crime in an effort to destroy her.

The prosecution is doubling down on defective theories of witness intimidation that we are in the process of attacking at the SJC in Mr. Kearney's case. Every freedom-loving citizen in the Commonwealth needs to hope and pray that the SJC finally takes up the matter and takes down the witness intimidation statute, the most odious intrusion on our rights since the bill of attainder or the writs of assistance.

The only crime here is the robbery of privacy.

This afternoon the prosecution and defense filed a joint motion to delay the trial.

Both sides say they are still waiting to hear what federal authorities have uncovered in their probe of the case.

The motion also lists several items of evidence that still have not been produced – including records from Google, Verizon, witnesses and the state police crime laboratory.

Item #13 is certainly interesting.

View attachment 482238

So, Verizon responded to the court order in 11 days, but it took two more months for the defense to be given the files? And then it turned out they were the wrong records.

I know, hard to tell if deliberate or general incompetence. The overall lack of compliance with discovery is interesting as well. That and the fact the CW even jointly agreed to this motion makes me feel they’re now less than enthusiastic about their case.

I know, hard to tell if deliberate or general incompetence. The overall lack of compliance with discovery is interesting as well. That and the fact the CW even jointly agreed to this motion makes me feel they’re now less than enthusiastic about their case.

It's really hard to say what this means.

As for deliberate vs. incompetence, I usually lean towards incompetence (or laziness) in the absence of evidence of conspiracy. But it's just hard for me to believe the Commonwealth didn't immediately know what they received from Verizon. Unless the records went straight to the court only and in that case I'm back to incompetence.

There are so many players - half of them cops, state cops, Canton cops, Boston cops - that it's very hard to cover everything. And lots of twists and turns. But I'll try for anyone new to the case. Mind you, this is a primer. A deep dive is really needed before I'd recommend making up one's own mind.

John O'Keefe was a Boston cop who lived in Canton. Apparently a very good guy who'd worked in the kids' SA unit for years. He was the guardian to his minor niece and nephew as both of their parents had died when they were young. Karen Read was his on again, off again girlfriend who mostly lived with him and the kids. It was a verbally volatile relationship that may have been on the verge of ending. She had her own large home in Mansfield and was a Bentley College professor.

In January of 2022 Karen and John did some bar hoping in Canton. Karen was driving. In video from one of the bars they can be seen hugging each other. The prosecution contends she had nine vodka and sodas that night. I don't know, but she was probably drunk by the end of the night, possibly very drunk. Snow was just beginning to fall when they left. The storm was a big one, but did not begin in earnest until just about daybreak.

As the last bar was closing, they were invited to continue the party at the house of another Boston cop who lived in Canton, Brian Albert. Albert is also a trained MMA fighter and appeared on a cops-type cable TV series. Brian and O'Keefe did not not know each other well, if at all. The house was less than 2 miles from the bar. Karen got a bit lost on the way so they arrived a little late than the other bar hoppers.

There were quite a few people already at the house; some were younger folks celebrating the birthday of one of Brian Albert's sons. Some of the known adults at the party included Brian Albert and his wife Nicole. Nicole's sister Jennifer McCabe and her husband Matt, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent Brian Higgins. Some claim Brian Albert's 17 year old nephew Colin Albert was also there. Colin had been a neighbor of John O'Keefe's and there are allegations Colin was a punk kid who was on bad terms with John. (I think Karen Read may have been the source for this tidbit, however). John was friendly with Jennifer McCabe through their daughters.

The Albert house is a fairly large 4 or 5 bedroom 1970's colonial with a finished basement.

Also at the home was Chloe the German Shepherd who apparently did not play nicely with humans or other dogs.

Karen has a couple of different stories about why she didn't go into the house when they arrived. At one point she says she didn't feel well and wanted to go home, but stayed for a few minutes to make sure John was staying. In another she says she didn't hear the invitation and wanted to make she was welcome as well. She says John went inside and she waited for his text or call, but none came. So she left, driving about 2.5 miles to John's home where she says she fell asleep on the couch.

According to the state, she left many nasty voice mails and texts after leaving the Albert's house, including at least one "I hate you!"

Read says she woke up around 5 and was very worried that John was not home. She had John's daughter contact Jennifer McCabe to ask if he left the Albert's. She also got in her car to try to retrace her steps and in the process of backing out of John's garage, she bumped into his car parked in the driveway. There is ring video that shows the rear passenger side of her Lexus SUV bump into John's SUV as she does.

She hooks up with Jennifer McCabe and one of her friends and the head over to the Albert house. As they approach the house, Read spots John lying on the lawn, about 12 feet away from the curb. He's on his back with under about 2 inches of snow. Hysterical, she tries to give him CPR, but he's dead or very close to it. When his body is warmed up and he is pronounced dead at a local hospital, the state police take over the investigation from the Canton PD.

I'll stop the narrative here because things stop becoming linear.

On the surface, this appears to be pretty straightforward. Drunken, angry, almost ex-girlfriend runs down boyfriend and leaves scene. But this is just the beginning.

*No one leaving the party that night after Karen drove off saw John lying on the lawn. Snow wasn't sticking quite yet, so one would think many could/should have seen him. No one heard a gunning car or a 220 pound body being hit and sent 12 feet. Sideways. The house is not set very far back from the road.

*An eyewitness who was picking up his sister saw Karen sitting alone in the car on the side of the road. She even moved up to to allow him to park closer to the house.

*A town plow driver who was prepping the roads for the storm drove by twice that morning. At about 2:30 and 3. He says he saw nothing at 2:30 and is adamant given the height of the truck and his lights, he would have seen a body at that location. At 3 am he said he saw a light colored SUV parked directly in front of where O'Keefe's body would have been. It should be noted the police did not attempt to speak to this town employee until more than 18 months later.

*The police have claimed that Karen's right rear taillight was damaged when she backed into John. The exact part of her SUV that made contact with John's vehicle at 5 am the next morning with video to prove it. While the Canton cops who were first on the scene noted no red taillight pieces, later on and over the course of the next several days taillight pieces were found at the scene. It should be noted that a state trooper named Proctor had possession of Karen's vehicle which had been towed from her parents house about 45 minutes away that afternoon. Proctor mis-stated the times he collected and dropped off the vehicle at the Canton PD. It's been alleged that Proctor and/or his family are quite close to the Alberts.

Many believe Trooper Proctor planted taillight pieces at the scene to either make his snowy investigation easier, or because he wanted to help out his friends. He wouldn't have known about the video of Karen hitting John's car at that time. Seeing a cracked taillight, did he think this was proof Read was guilty so he "borrowed" it to be left on the lawn.

*Despite the major commotion going on practically under their bedroom window, the owners of the home, the Alberts, never came out of the house that morning to find out what was going on.

*The state police never once entered the Albert home. Instead they interviewed everyone at Matt and Jennifer McCabe's house. (don't know about anyone else, but if there was a body of dead cop was found on my lawn, I'd expect a knock on my door. Or a battering ram if I didn't answer quick enough.)

*John's Apple Health data app shows him walking up and down stairs after Karen dropped him off.

*Much controversy with this one, but Jennifer McCabe allegedly Googled "Hos long to die in cold" at 2:30 am. The state alleges this isn't true and that she only googled that after they found John's body and at Karen's request.

*John's primary injury was a small but deep laceration at the back of his head. The state has not explained what caused it. He also had lacerations up and down his right arm that are inconsistent with being in a pedestrian incident. Some say they look just like shallow dog bites (John had no coat on but was wearing a heavy sweatshirt).

*Chloe the dog was rehomed after the incident. The Albert house went on the market in November of that year, after they replaced the carpet in the basement.

I'll stop here even though there are more points to be made, possibly on both sides. But this should help someone get started.
The above is a good overview for those just joining the discussion.

Video posted Aug. 7, 2023, and is 5+ minutes.

Parents of Karen Read, woman charged in Boston officer’s death: ‘My daughter will be free’​

The parents of a woman charged in a Boston Police officer’s death say they’re confident in their daughter’s innocence as her legal fight continues.Karen Read, the girlfriend of late Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe, has been accused of backing over her boyfriend in Canton, MA, and leaving him to die in a January 2022 blizzard.

She was charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter, and leaving the scene of a collision in connection with O’Keefe’s death.

The case has drawn national attention over claims of a cover-up. A Facebook page called, Justice For John O’Keefe & Karen Read (Mass corruption) has more than 18 thousand followers.

In Massachusetts, second-degree murder includes when a person intentionally kills another without premeditation.

“We’ll resolve these issues,” William Read, father of Karen Read, told Investigative Reporter Ted Daniel. “My daughter will be free. That’s what I believe.”William Read says his daughter told him she thought she “struck something” while she was at Good Samaritan Hospital in Brockton, where O’Keefe was pronounced dead.The father denied that Karen Read thought she struck O’Keefe.“No, no, no,” William Read said. “She felt she struck something. She said: ‘Dad, I think I struck something.’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ This was in the hospital, she says, ‘I remember backing up and hitting something, but I can’t say what it was’ and at this point, she’s frantic.”

Item #13 is certainly interesting.

View attachment 482238

So, Verizon responded to the court order in 11 days, but it took two more months for the defense to be given the files? And then it turned out they were the wrong records.
Ignoring a court order! I'm sorry, not ;) sorry, but these tech companies need to be regulated when it comes to providing information in a criminal case, need to provide info in a timely (60 days) manner. Maybe a fine might inspire them? My thoughts.

Ignoring a court order! I'm sorry, not ;) sorry, but these tech companies need to be regulated when it comes to providing information in a criminal case, need to provide info in a timely (60 days) manner. Maybe a fine might inspire them? My thoughts.
It kind of reminds me of the Murdaugh case, where GM initially said there were no OnStar records, only to come back and produce them in the middle of the trial. It was likely the notoriety of that trial which caused someone at GM to take a second look.

I suspect a lot of these record requests are being fulfilled by low wage employees in jobs with high turnover and poor training. I have to wonder how many other cases have been affected by tech companies incompetently replying to subpoenas.

Last edited:
In court documents obtained by Court TV, lawyers for the defense and prosecution say they want to put all upcoming court dates on hold while they wait on federal officials to release what they say is key information. In one filing, they asked to reschedule a Feb. 15 hearing at Norfolk Superior Court, cancel a court date on Feb. 26, and change the trial’s March 12 start date. Instead, they’re hoping to hold a hearing regarding several pending motions on March 12.

Prosecutors say Read left O’Keefe, 47, to die in a blizzard in the early morning hours of Jan. 29, 2022. Read has pled not guilty to charges of second-degree murder, vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, and leaving the scene of a collision

I'm not positive, but it sounds like Verizon screwed up. They didn't ignore the order. They thought they were complying but someone in the subpoena group obtained the wrong docs. And the wrong records probably went to the court who didn't share them. They normally would be shared with both sides and it doesn't sound as though the defense had them either.

I'm not positive, but it sounds like Verizon screwed up. They didn't ignore the order. They thought they were complying but someone in the subpoena group obtained the wrong docs. And the wrong records probably went to the court who didn't share them. They normally would be shared with both sides and it doesn't sound as though the defense had them either.
I understand all of that; however, since V sent the incorrect docs, V needs to make the correction and send the correct info in a timely manner, moo.

Here is a question. Any document needs someone to work at it. Lawyers charge their clients a lot of money. Now, if there is a court's order to provide the records, they'd probably be provided free for the court. But to everyone else? The lawyers? At least the time spent on preparing the documents (meaning, Verizon is using own workers), should be reimbursed to Verizon, or am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChemSkya