MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling to even envision what the prosecution is alleging happened. KR pulls in the driveway, drops her boyfriend off and hits him while backing out of the driveway? I'm not saying there is zero chance but IMO, almost every single person would get out of the car, walk in front of the car and into the house. Walking behind the car is going out of your way and almost counter intuitive
Thank you! I knew someone witnessed her pull in the driveway. Yet, I heard something about a 3 point turn in the road and that's when she hit him.
I thought I was following along until I heard different scenarios..ugh

I've seen dog bites. There is usually a circular pattern (from the dog's mouth) of the puncture wounds and bruising. I don't see that here at all. And if they're claw marks, it's hard to tell but they don't appear deep or long enough to me to be from a German Shepherd. The whole dog bite scenario is a red herring IMO.

And the googling - well the defendant would've known that she could get someone else to google that and cast suspicion on them after the fact.

victim's injuries:

1683251402323.png

dog bite stock photo from the internet:
1683251464940.png

Last edited:
I've seen dog bites. There is usually a circular pattern (from the dog's mouth) of the puncture wounds and bruising. I don't see that here at all. And if they're claw marks, it's hard to tell but they don't appear deep or long enough to me to be from a German Shepherd. The whole dog bite scenario is a red herring IMO.

And the googling - well the defendant would've known that she could get someone else to google that and cast suspicion on them after the fact.

victim's injuries:

View attachment 419682

dog bite stock photo from the

victim's injuries:

View attachment 419682

dog bite stock photo from the internet:
View attachment 419683
I'm not saying he was bitten or scratched by a dog, yet. But this picture is not the only one that depicts a dog bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what if the victim was wearing a winter coat? Would that affect the depth and length of the scratches/bites?

I'm not sure I understand your theory here...
KR and the woman who searched google last saw each other at the bar at 12:10 AM. The google search was allegedly made at 2:27 AM from a cell phone at the residence where the victim was found while KR was at home.

The two women barely knew each other and both prosecution and defense seem to agree that there was no communication between them from 12:10 AM to 4:53 AM.

Thank you! I knew someone witnessed her pull in the driveway. Yet, I heard something about a 3 point turn in the road and that's when she hit him.
I thought I was following along until I heard different scenarios..ugh
Okay I might have the story wrong... Different articles say different things!! This timeline says

"12:40 a.m. - She (sister of the homeowner) sends another message saying, "Pull up behind me," referencing her vehicle in the driveway. She said that she subsequently watched the black SUV move from its initial place, where it had stopped near the driveway, to the far left side of the property, near a flagpole and fire hydrant and where the body was subsequently found."

I mistakenly took this to mean the SUV did move into the driveway but I guess it means the car just moved in the street closer to the left side of the driveway. But again... I'm still not quite buying what they're saying. If the car is driving left, we're on the side of the road closest to the house. So KR drops him off and he's walking in the road? Maybe he was walking along the road to get to the driveway and walk up to the house but at midnight, after a night of drinking, while it's snowing I feel like most people are just going to walk through the yard.

Maybe my conceptualization of a 3 point turn is off but she would pull forward first, then reverse so the car is essentially vertical in the road, right? Even if O'Keefe is walking in the road he'd be walking to the right side of the house while KR is pulling further left, then reversing. Sure it's possible but it seems like O'Keefe would have to be standing exactly where he got out of the car for her to hit him. And the witness says she saw the car drive away, no mention of a 3 point turn which I would think prosecution would clarify in their timeline if she had said that.

And what if the victim was wearing a winter coat? Would that affect the depth and length of the scratches/bites?

KR and the woman who searched google last saw each other at the bar at 12:10 AM. The google search was allegedly made at 2:27 AM from a cell phone at the residence where the victim was found while KR was at home.

The two women barely knew each other and both prosecution and defense seem to agree that there was no communication between them from 12:10 AM to 4:53 AM.
I'm curious about a coat as well. The police report states that when they found the body he was wearing jeans, a short sleeved shirt and a long sleeved shirt. So it would seem like he wasn't wearing a coat which seems odd for January in Massachusetts. I wonder if any video, pictures, etc. from the evening ever show him wearing a coat

I'm curious about a coat as well. The police report states that when they found the body he was wearing jeans, a short sleeved shirt and a long sleeved shirt. So it would seem like he wasn't wearing a coat which seems odd for January in Massachusetts. I wonder if any video, pictures, etc. from the evening ever show him wearing a coat
Do you have a link to the report? I've seen bits and pieces posted, but not the whole thing.

I'm not saying he was bitten or scratched by a dog, yet. But this picture is not the only one that depicts a dog bite.

what do you mean? there's pictures of other parts of his body that have scratches on it?

where are you getting this information? I didn't see it

where are you getting this information? I didn't see it
The DA filings contain an extensive timeline of events, including the time they left the bar. That timeline is described here.

The defense has claimed that the google search was done during the party. Described in this article.
The new evidence shows that hours before Read found O’Keefe’s body, someone else who had attended the after-party was making suspicious inquiries on Google, according to the newly filed defense motion.

At 2:27 a.m. Jennifer McCabe, sister-in-law to Albert, searched on her phone: “Ho[w] long to die in cold,” the motion said.

Late Friday, the judge handed a victory to the team of defendant Karen Read, the Mansfield woman whom prosecutors accuse of hitting her boyfriend, Brian O'Keefe, with her SUV and leaving him to die in the snow in January 2022 after a night of drinking with friends.

Norfolk Superior Court Judge Beverly Cannone granted Read's legal team's request for access to records involving a dog that lived at the home where O'Keefe died.

There was supposed to be a hearing tomorrow, but it looks like it was canceled and the subpoenas quashed.

Tweet from a local reporter.

I have to say though, it seems like a bad faith argument from the prosecutor claiming that the Apple Health data is unreliable because it shows John O'Keefe taking steps hours after he died. Clearly someone else picked up the phone and was carrying it around.

Last edited:
There was supposed to be a hearing tomorrow, but it looks like it was canceled and the subpoenas quashed.

Tweet from a local reporter.

I have to say though, it seems like a bad faith argument from the prosecutor claiming that the Apple Health data is unreliable because it shows John O'Keefe taking steps hours after he died. Clearly someone else picked up the phone and was carrying it around.

Wondering if taking it to a higher court is an option. If so, seems like her attorneys would get that filed asap.

A new prosecution filing...

Now, the district attorney's office is asking the court to order all of Read's attorneys, in addition to prosecutors and witnesses, to stop making statements outside of court that don't comply with the trial court's rules.

"As part of their 'trial by media' strategy, the defendant has sought to target the witnesses' credibility and character through the use of the media and has encouraged the unwarranted invasion of witnesses' personal privacy," the prosecution wrote.

But perhaps most revealing in the filing is a reference to evidence that "establishes that the defendant, while intoxicated, in a snowstorm, operated her motor vehicle in reverse for a period of time, before striking the victim at a high rate of speed."

A spokesperson for the DA's office said the information was based on their reading of a newly available report prepared by the State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section of the Read's vehicle data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jme81