MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's so much strangeness in the investigation regarding this snowplow driver too. According to defense filings, the original report from the state police claimed that the street was plowed by an outside contractor and the GPS on the truck was broken.

According to the town plow driver, contractors took over after his first two passes. And apparently no one has bothered to find out who this driver (or drivers) was. Sounds like a small kernel of truth used to cover a bigger lie.

What really puzzles me in this case is the sheer volume of evidence the prosecution is refusing to turn over to the defense, including physical evidence used as the basis for charges brought. The reasoning for withholding the evidence is supposedly that testing isn’t complete, but if testing isn’t complete how was it complete enough to bring charges? Seems to me that at best there is either huge mishandling of evidence and protocol, and at worst intentional cover up of something more sinister. Neither choice is palatable.

Aged article.

Updated Feb 2, 2022 at 8:50pm

According to CBS Boston, the prosecutor said in court that Read and O’Keefe, who was off-duty at the time, went to two bars early Saturday morning and then went to a home in Canton. Read dropped O’Keefe off around 12:45 p.m., “made a three-point turn and left, but did not see O’Keefe go inside the house,” the television station reported prosecutors allege.

Her attorney said she grew worried around 4:30 a.m. after not hearing from O’Keefe and when he didn’t answer his phone, so she drove back to the home with a friend and is accused of asking, “Could I have hit him? Did I hit him? I wonder if he’s dead. It’s snowing. He got hit by a plow.”

moo... Curious why she just didn't go to bed after she arrived home from dropping Mr. O'K off at his home? Why think about him not answering the phone, why are you calling at that time anyway? Did she anticipate anything... worried @4:30 am ET seems interesting - aren't you sleepy then and ready for bed?

Last edited:
moo... Curious why she just didn't go to bed after she arrived home from dropping Mr. O'K off at his home? Why think about him not answering the phone, why are you calling at that time anyway? Did she anticipate anything... worried @4:30 am ET seems interesting - aren't you sleepy then and ready for bed?

Read's story is she went home to O'Keefe's home (she lived there most of the time) after leaving him at the Albert's and promptly fell asleep. She woke up early morning and was surprised he hadn't yet come home to his 14 year old niece. (his nephew was staying with a friend.) She then started making phone calls to try to find him.

Aged article.

Updated Feb 2, 2022 at 8:50pm

According to CBS Boston, the prosecutor said in court that Read and O’Keefe, who was off-duty at the time, went to two bars early Saturday morning and then went to a home in Canton. Read dropped O’Keefe off around 12:45 p.m., “made a three-point turn and left, but did not see O’Keefe go inside the house,” the television station reported prosecutors allege.

Her attorney said she grew worried around 4:30 a.m. after not hearing from O’Keefe and when he didn’t answer his phone, so she drove back to the home with a friend and is accused of asking, “Could I have hit him? Did I hit him? I wonder if he’s dead. It’s snowing. He got hit by a plow.”

I don't think she hit him. Someone is lying, IMO. Easy to try and make her look guilty if everyone gangs up on her.

This says it all:

Read’s lawyers suggest that there’s a reason other than booze as to why Read didn’t have any recollection of hitting O’Keefe: It didn’t happen.

In service of that argument, the defense said Jennifer McCabe — described as “the government’s seminal witness” — Googled “hos [sic] long to die in cold” after 2 a.m. that Jan. 29. The defense said that McCabe meant to Google “how” not “hos.” Read’s lawyers also said that McCabe tried to delete evidence of her
contact with Albert.

“McCabe explicitly told law enforcement that she ‘did not think much’ of O’Keefe’s failure to enter the residence that night and assumed that O’Keefe and Ms. Read simply decided to go home. Yet, three hours before Jennifer McCabe had any reason to suspect O’Keefe hadn’t gone home with Ms. Read, three hours before she inserted herself into Ms. Read’s search for O’Keefe and delayed her return to the Albert Residence, and three hours before her ‘discovery’ of his lifeless body in the cold snow of her brother-in-law’s front lawn, Ms. McCabe had only one thing on her mind: how long does it take to die in the cold,” the defense motion said. “What’s even more shocking, is that the very next day, before turning her phone over to law enforcement, Ms. McCabe took calculated steps to purge her phone of this inculpatory search and, at the same time, attempted to delete her communications with Brian Albert and remove a screenshot of his contact information from her phone, which she had obviously shared with someone that morning.

The defense asserted that the new evidence should prompt the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office to “immediately do what’s right and file a nolle prosequi” and end the case against Read.

--

Not to mention the fact that the car damage Read allegedly had didn't match up with the scene involving John whatsoever.

I don't think she hit him. Someone is lying, IMO. Easy to try and make her look guilty if everyone gangs up on her.

This says it all:

Read’s lawyers suggest that there’s a reason other than booze as to why Read didn’t have any recollection of hitting O’Keefe: It didn’t happen.

In service of that argument, the defense said Jennifer McCabe — described as “the government’s seminal witness” — Googled “hos [sic] long to die in cold” after 2 a.m. that Jan. 29. The defense said that McCabe meant to Google “how” not “hos.” Read’s lawyers also said that McCabe tried to delete evidence of her
contact with Albert.

“McCabe explicitly told law enforcement that she ‘did not think much’ of O’Keefe’s failure to enter the residence that night and assumed that O’Keefe and Ms. Read simply decided to go home. Yet, three hours before Jennifer McCabe had any reason to suspect O’Keefe hadn’t gone home with Ms. Read, three hours before she inserted herself into Ms. Read’s search for O’Keefe and delayed her return to the Albert Residence, and three hours before her ‘discovery’ of his lifeless body in the cold snow of her brother-in-law’s front lawn, Ms. McCabe had only one thing on her mind: how long does it take to die in the cold,” the defense motion said. “What’s even more shocking, is that the very next day, before turning her phone over to law enforcement, Ms. McCabe took calculated steps to purge her phone of this inculpatory search and, at the same time, attempted to delete her communications with Brian Albert and remove a screenshot of his contact information from her phone, which she had obviously shared with someone that morning.

The defense asserted that the new evidence should prompt the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office to “immediately do what’s right and file a nolle prosequi” and end the case against Read.

--

Not to mention the fact that the car damage Read allegedly had didn't match up with the scene involving John whatsoever.
That is a lot of reasonable doubt right there

I'm surprised there's not more interest in this case. I spent time in the town in question and that's all anyone there is talking about. I have a ton of details but will just have to wait until they are reported on.

The details in this case just don't add up. IMO.

I'm expecting that once the planned Dateline episode aires (they've been in town for weeks now) this thread is going to blow way up.

"On a Dark and Stormy Night in a Quiet Suburb tucked away just a 20 min drive south of Boston..."

I'm surprised there's not more interest in this case. I spent time in the town in question and that's all anyone there is talking about. I have a ton of details but will just have to wait until they are reported on.

I'm expecting that once the planned Dateline episode aires (they've been in town for weeks now) this thread is going to blow way up.

"On a Dark and Stormy Night in a Quiet Suburb tucked away just a 20 min drive south of Boston..."
I haven't looked too deep but it's fishy as heck. I wonder what the motive could be, and uh... not the defendant's motive, to be clear

I grew up in Canton, don’t live there now but still have family etc there and as the acronym saying goes, iykyk. Buckle up.

At least two major networks are working on news stories right now. (Dateline for sure, and I think 20/20 is the other?) Once these air, I think interest will skyrocket. It's such a wild, scary story.

At least two major networks are working on news stories right now. (Dateline for sure, and I think 20/20 is the other?) Once these air, I think interest will skyrocket. It's such a wild, scary story.
What surprises me is that the local news media seem to not be paying a whole lot of attention either, except for some basic coverage of the various court hearings that was mainly focused on the outside protests.

I would have thought the revelation that a snowplow had driven through the scene shortly after the alleged hit-and-run and the driver states definitively that there was no body lying on the grass would be a huge bombshell. Or that the hair caught in KR's taillight is not from a human would spark a story. But nada from the Boston papers or tv stations.

What surprises me is that the local news media seem to not be paying a whole lot of attention either, except for some basic coverage of the various court hearings that was mainly focused on the outside protests.

I would have thought the revelation that a snowplow had driven through the scene shortly after the alleged hit-and-run and the driver states definitively that there was no body lying on the grass would be a huge bombshell. Or that the hair caught in KR's taillight is not from a human would spark a story. But nada from the Boston papers or tv stations.
Investigative journalism is pretty much dead in Boston. Time was the Globe or the Phoenix would be all over something like this, but not now. I think it also might be seen as a political hot potato. And I think many people not following the story closely think it's too vast a conspiracy theory to have any merit. God knows there are enough crazy conspiracy theories out there. This isn't one of them though.

But the fact that it's getting national attention is very good. Between Lucky the Plow Guy and the multiple lacerations on the victim's arms that were clearly not caused by a motor vehicle, the more light on this the better. If it can be proven that he was murdered in another cop's house and the crime was covered up by the investigating statie and possibly the DA's office, this is a big 'un.

A long, interesting article from Boston Magazine about the case.

The author is fairly skeptical of Karen's defense and pokes some holes in her claims including that her story has changed over time; there wasn't any bad blood between John and Colin Albert as she contends; and that the her relation with John was quite contentious and there may have been another man in the picture;.

However, the story also doesn't mention some items in Karen's favor, such as the Apple Health data on John's phone or the testimony of the snowplow driver.

This case just gets curiouser and curiouser. I'm looking forward to the Dateline and 20/20 stories. Hope they come out soon.

A long, interesting article from Boston Magazine about the case.

The author is fairly skeptical of Karen's defense and pokes some holes in her claims including that her story has changed over time; there wasn't any bad blood between John and Colin Albert as she contends; and that the her relation with John was quite contentious and there may have been another man in the picture;.

It seems probable John and Karen fought quite a bit. The kids (ages 10 and 14) have said as much.

I don't think anyone can say for certain what the relationship between young Colin and John was like. The story about the bad blood between them originated with Karen and as we can't ask John, Colin is the only other person who can speak to it Both Karen and Colin have vested interests in their versions.

But none of this proves Karen murdered John. And even if Colin had left before John arrived, this doesn't mean a fight didn't break out between some of the other men in the house.

I cannot get past those injuries. They're unlike any pedestrian/auto injuries I've ever seen. Especially the arm scratches /lacerations which clearly appear to be animal predation. There is nothing on a SUV that could have caused them. The Commonwealth's current version (they dropped the three point turn allegation when it became clear she couldn't have generated enough speed to cause the injuries) borders on silliness. Aside from his fists, O'Keefe had no bruising or fractures to his middle to lower extremities. How on earth did he land 12 feet onto the lawn without such force causing hip, rib, pelvis, or leg injuries? Just a 3 inch open laceration to his skull.

And whether you believe the state cop who investigated intentionally covered for the Alberts, the investigation done here was so laughably bad, there is no question Karen Read will be found not guilty. I just hope we can get to the truth of what happened regardless.

It sometimes takes a while for justice to come, but it is on its way. Early this morning I was advised that @DoctorTurtleboy was arrested on multiple state charges. I never revealed that privately, via email, Aiden Kearney threatened not only me but also my family and my children. Why? Merely because of my initial post that I agreed with the state's position that there was probable cause to believe #KarenRead killed #JohnOkeefe. Really a shame that this is the state of a true crime community. That a person can disagree about a case and be relentlessly stalked and maligned. To the relief of many, specifically those he continues to falsely accuse of killing Officer O'Keefe, justice is literally knocking at the door of Aiden. I hope those subscribing and following him will take a deep dive into who he is. His lack of credentials; What he has said in his blogs that have hurt so many; His past history with the law. I am grateful that prosecutors have taken action and that there will be relief for so many innocent people. I will post documents after arraignment.
https://twitter.com/CoffindafferFBI/status/1712117208409661931/photo/1

Aidan Kearney, the blogger behind the Massachusetts news brand Turtleboy, is in police custody amid a special prosecutor's investigation.

Stoughton District Court confirmed to NBC10 Boston he was in Massachusetts State Police custody. It wasn't immediately clear what charges he was in court on, but court records showed that Kearney faces seven counts, all filed Wednesday: six counts of intimidating a witness, juror, police or court official and one of conspiracy.

He was seen being led into court in handcuffs Wednesday morning ahead of his arraignment, which will be livestreamed in this article.

[...] More at link...

Published 1 hour ago • Updated 12 mins ago​

#DEVELOPING: Per online records, the blogger behind #Turtleboy is facing 7 criminally charges, including witness intimidation and conspiracy. @DoctorTurtleboy set to make his initial court appearance momentarily.

1697040492361.png

1697040508897.png

#BREAKING: The blogger behind the popular blog Turtleboy being led into court handcuffed in Stoughton under unusually heavy security. Charges to be officially announced soon after a special prosecutor’s investigation.

As the special prosecutor lays out the charges, @DoctorTurtleboy just expressed surprise as the special prosecutor told the judge there are indications that the blog has raised more than $5 million in donations.

Wearing a “Free Karen Read” sweatshirt, @DoctorTurtleboy led into court handcuffed, hearing the charges against him including a conspiracy charge…court clerk says that charge is for an alleged incident in Avon in late September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74