MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jurors enter the courtroom and are now being sworn in by the court clerk. The clerk now reads the indictments.

There are 17 people seated in the jury box. There appear to be seven men and 10 women.

The lawyers introduce themselves. The judge rises and asks the jury if they have seen news coverage or talked about the case since last week. All say no.

Judge Beverly Cannone is now explaining some legal principles to the jury, including presumption of innocence and reasonable doubt.

@BienickWCVB

There are 10 women and 7 women listening to Judge Cannone's instructions. She describing what opening statements are. They are not opening arguments!! I still see this all the time. Lawyers are to describe their evidence at this stage, not "argue" guilt or innocence.

Each side will get up to 45 minutes for their opening statements. Prosecutor Adam Lally will speak for the state, and David Yannetti is doing the opening for Read's defense team.

@JHall7news

Edit above made by @arielilane

Lally says he intends to provide a road map of the case. He begins by talking about the life of victim John O'Keefe, including how he took custody of his young niece and nephew after their parents died.

Lally says O'Keefe got help raising kids from neighbors and from his co-workers at the Boston Police Dept. Niece was 14 and nephew was 11 when O'Keefe died.

Lally begins discussing Jan 28, 2022. He says the forecast called for a snowstorm and many activities in Canton were cancelled.

With his niece and nephew staying with friends, O'Keefe went out with friends to go drinking at a local bar. Karen Read joined them just before 9pm.

Lally says O'Keefe and Read had met in 2004, reconnected several years later and started dating. In the months leading up to his death, "the relationship suffered," Lally says.

At about 6am, Canton police received 911 call that a body had been found outside 34 Fairview Road in Canton.

The first officers arrive on scene and see three women standing near the left side of the front yard near a flagpole, fire hydrant and the body. Read is one of the three.

Lally says first responders heard Read repeatedly say, "I hit him. I hit him. I hit him.”

Lally says there were six inches of snow on O'Keefe's body and grass underneath him.

O'Keefe was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital but could not be saved. Read was also taken to the hospital. Witnesses say Read told them the last time she saw O'Keefe they had an argument.

@BienickWCVB

@JHall7news

Lally describes the evening before O'Keefe died, when he and Read and friends went to "establishments"..and says when first responders later found three women near O'Keefe, seriously injured in the snow outside a canton home, she said "I hit him, I hit him, I hit him."

10:45 AM · Apr 29, 2024

Lally says it started to snow just after midnight. Brian Albert and Nicole Albert head to their home at 34 Fairview Rd and invite others to join them there, including John O'Keefe.

Couple witnesses arrive in pickup at the house at the same time as Read in her black Lexus SUV. Witnesses in pickup and in house say they saw Read's SUV move up along street and stop near fire hydrant.

10:53 AM · Apr 29, 2024

@BienickWCVB

I hope I'm not breaking any rules when I say that there's an incredible attorney who is following and explaining Karen Read's case. Melanie Little on yt. She also goes over the court documents in this case and she has relevant experts as guests! Dog bites for example
I watched Melanie Little and the dog bite expert.
Wow.
Seems pretty definitive those were canine tooth lacerations on the arm of the deceased.
And his shoulder may appear to be dislocated because of the pulling? Very interesting.

Although, it made me laugh when the dog bite expert said he knows more about bite injuries than medical examiners, because most people don't die from bite wounds. Pretty silly, he has no experience with children dying from dog attacks. And his rubbery prosthetic "arm" with teeth marks would not be a exact replica of human skin/tissue.
But he made his points regarding the autopsy photos.

Good post!!!

Lally says Read drove around calling people asking where O'Keefe is. Read came to McCabe's home. Read shows damage to her right taillight. McCabe drives Read in Read's SUV to 34 Fairview Rd. "The defendant is the only one who sees Mr. O'Keefe", Lally says.

Lally says Read got out of SUV and "made a beeline" to where O'Keefe's body is.

@BienickWCVB

I watched Melanie Little and the dog bite expert.
Wow.
Seems pretty definitive those were canine tooth lacerations on the arm of the deceased.
And his shoulder may appear to be dislocated because of the pulling? Very interesting.

Although, it made me laugh when the dog bite expert said he knows more about bite injuries than medical examiners, because most people don't die from bite wounds. Pretty silly, he has no experience with children dying from dog attacks. And his rubbery prosthetic "arm" with teeth marks would not be a exact replica of human skin/tissue.
But he made his points regarding the autopsy photos.

Good post!!!
Agreed! Really an eye opener.
Would like to see a forensic veterinary take the stand.
I'd like to see the evidence in this case.
moo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member