MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lally is covering familiar ground: what responder was doing what, where. Who was the lead, where was the equipment.

Lally is asking about the condition of OKeefe’s clothing as they removed it.Flematti says clothes were cold & wet.Testifies they were looking for injuries & info on what happened.They noticed external bleeding from mouth, nose, eyes when they got into the ambulance.

Earlier Flematti says he asked #KarenRead what happened, She answered with “I hit him”.He says he tried to question her further but she did not answer his questions and she was very upset.

Flematti testifies that OKeefe’s eyes were swollen, there were lacerations on eight upper arm, his belly was distended, rigid finger & feet, dried blood.Flematti assume the dried blood was from several hours earlier.

Flematti testifies that Canton Firefighter Katie McLaughlin tried to question #KarenRead at the scene.Lally is now asking about the transport to the hospital.Flematti is reading more treatment efforts. Flematti says the transport was slow because of the snow.

@SueNBCBoston

Lt. Flematti describes JO: "His eyes were pretty well swollen... also had markings on his extremities... swelling of the belly

Lt. Flematti says injuries on JO's arm were consistent with happening "earlier in the evening" based on dried blood.

Lt. Flematti says the blizzard slowed the transport of JO to Good Samaritan Hospital in Brockton. He says they were in contact with Good Sam to have ER team waiting.

@TedDanielnews

I don't claim to know what really happened but this entire investigation seems really off to me. IMO there is much more going on than has been revealed. The behavior of those in the Albert house and many of the officers at the scene just don't give the impression that they care much about a fellow officer being found dead after many hours of laying in the snow in the front yard of another officer's house. That various party people coming and going and plowing the road never noticed. And now there are already conflicting statements from the State witnesses. Add to that the connection of almost all parties involved and the whole thing just seems surreal.

@SueNBCBoston

Lally directs jurors to the screen, lights are turned off in courtroom.Flematti confirms Fairview Road house, blood in snow.He now has laser pointer.He indicates where he found OKeefe when he arrived.Lights are back on.Alan Jackson for the defense is up.

10:03 AM · May 2, 2024

@SueNBCBoston

It sounds like someone’s cell phone is vibrating. Spectators look at each Ch other. Every morning court officers warn participants & spectators that cell phone use is prohibited.

9:41 AM · May 2, 2024
Lol, is Proctor in the room? He seems to have problems using his cell phone appropriately.

Doesn’t recall a laceration on nose, or see physical trauma on abdomen.Jackson asking about conversion with #KarenRead at scene.Jackson referring to Flematti’s grand jury testimony.You asked “How do you know him?” “How did he get here?” “What happened to him?”

Flematti testifies that he had a conversation with #KarenRead face to face.Flematti says the convo was unproductive.Moved to treating patient, asked other firefighter to continue convo.Jackson now asks what Flematti was doing.Flematti says he was doing CPR,

Jackson acts out CPR, as coincidentally, an ambulance with sirens drives by, briefly pausing testimony (it’s loud),Jackson asks what Flematti was wearing.Flematti surprised.Jackson said “You weren’t expecting that”Flematti chuckles, answers winter coat.

Jackson asks about where everyone was in the ambulance.Jackson showing dashcam evidence.Judge calls a sidebar &Some jurors use the opportunity to stretch their legs. A couple chat.

Jackson back to evidence on screen.Judge calls a sidebar again.

@SueNBCBoston

Judge called for a 15 minute break.

While Lally asks Flematti about SOP & the weather, I’ll share, based on my observation, what the juror makeup is:
There are 17 jurors.
7 men, 10 women
2 of the men appear to be Asian
The rest appear to be White, although 2 of the women may be Black, Latino.

Age is tougher to determine, but I think about 8 are under 40, no one looks older than 50s.
Again, this is guess made on observation.
About 300 jurors were interviewed.
I wish we could know the level of education each juror has. It could be a huge gamut.

Does that appear to be my client?YesDo you recognize the figure doing CPR?Could that be you?Flematti can’t answer definitively.Do you see the person in middle of screen? Is that my client?I think so.

Do you see people entering from screen right. Who does that appear to be?Could be one of the firefighters.What is the activity on the left side?Lowering the stretcher.Do you recognize the person facing the camera?NoJackson is starting and pausing video.

Jackson confirming testimony that he did chest compressions.Does he see anyone in the video trading off?Could it me you?Objection SustainedJackson tries again, Sidebar

@SueNBCBoston

Jackson - do your recognize the person on the coat
Flametti - based on the the equipment I’d guess
Judge: don’t guess
Flametti: McLoughlin
Jackson appears to be trying to have Flametti name the people in the videos, that would place what they were each doing.

Flametti is uncertain about who is who. Jackson asks if he was in the ambulance at this time (dashcam footage was running continuously). Flametti says he doesn’t know.
Jackson asks where else he could have been? Where was OKeefe? I don’t know. Where were you at this point?

I don’t remember. Getting equipment.
Jackson: But you were doing CPRI didn’t say that, I didn’t do it continuously. Other people did it too.
JacksonSo OKeefes body is in the ambulance? Are you in the ambulance.
Felmatti seems worn down.

@SueNBCBoston

Back, Here's a screen grab of the dash cam video Alan Jackson is showing . He's walking Lt. Flematti through it and asking if he recognizes Read
https://twitter.com/TedDanielnews/status/1786045542151131526/photo/1

1714662576862.png

Jackson asking Lt. Flematti to identify people in the video. Prosecution has objected several times. Judge called both sides to sidebar.

1714662606904.png

Lt. Flematti confirms the dash-cam video does not show him "having a detailed conversation" with KR. According to Jackson, Lt. Flematti told Sgt. Yuri Bukhenik that KR said she hit JO

@TedDanielnews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member