MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
KR going into panic mode at 4:40 AM does not and will not compute.

She knew/remembered something had happened. There's no mass-conspiracy that can explain that away.

Why? I know a lot of people who would panic if they woke up at 4 AM and their partner hadn't returned home. And I know others who would probably just roll over and go back to sleep.

I have no idea which group Karen falls into, but I don't see her reaction as some kind of smoking gun. At least not without knowing more about her relationship with JO. Had he ever stayed out all night before? Was he generally a reliable person? Does she have anxiety? And so on.

Except that it wasn't a house full of people, it was a house full of cops.

Ok, I'm being facetious, and I shouldn't be, but I do still believe that does make a difference. But maybe not the difference that people who believe your "ludicrous" scenario think it makes.

I really don't know what to think. I definitely have a hard time believing his injuries are all from her hitting him in reverse. Also really wish the house had been considered a crime scene inside and searched accordingly at the time. And I really wish I understood why they had to make it a murder charge and not a lesser charge like manslaughter or negligent homicide or whatever would make sense.
Also, I saw pics of the SUV. There's no way that all of his injuries were caused by the back of that SUV. moo Not a chance.

If this is accurate you have JM, friend of PO, call her brother in—law who is a Boston Police Officer to tell him that a fellow officer is dead on his front lawn and he doesn’t come out of the house to offer a statement or any assistance to responding officers or investigators?

It could be explained exactly the same way KR's behavior would be - drunk and passed out. Otherwise, I think even if involved up to his ears, BA would get out - to control the situation and navigate it.

Sadly, I think everyone involved was drunk or drunk/high. Perhaps the reason MP did not enter the house was due to the way the house looked after the party. Of course, there could be other reasons, too.

They look to me like a dog jumping up on you and scratching your arms with the nails on his paws. Clawing your arm as you are trying to protect yourself from getting bitten. A dog defending its owner who was fighting with JO?
The dog got rehomed. Not sure why. And did someone say it’s now dead?
I don’t think they swabbed the wounds for some reason but pls correct me if otherwise
JMO

That's the thing. I was prepared to be equally lenient to everyone for the same reason - equally possible that KR hit him, or that something happened in BA's house but everyone was partying so hard that people really had blackouts and did not remember by the morning/didn't track/were overwhelmed with own activities. So whoever the perpetrator was, it is impossible to find out because, say, if you were drinking with your buddies or otherwise preoccupied in one of the rooms of that large house, you could totally not track what was going on in another one.

But these are the glaring omissions that make me upset and suspicious. Why not take a swab of these wounds, be it for canine or human DNA? If they were so sure that BA never entered the house and it was KR who killed him, more clues! Test for her DNA in these scratch wounds, right? But they didn't.

And while I was far from thinking "police conspiracy", I am now thinking, it is all very suspicious.

One can blame it on inadequate investigators. Only, are they so inadequate in other cases?

Anybody have any thoughts about the request to pay attention to the center console? Is that where the safety features are? Unfortunately, I dont own a Lexus. :)

Btw, in case, unaware the Lexus is at the view location at this time.
moo

Lexus has Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection and an emergency braking system while slowly moving backwards. I don't know the year when they became available, but modern ones certainly have them.

The truth is none of us out here speculating about this case know her. What we do know is that John's own brother and sister-in-law, with whom he seemed quite close, both seemed to like her and thought she was great with the kids. The only arguments they knew about with regard to the kids were about her "spoiling" them with gifts and donuts. I was shocked that Lally used them as his first witnesses.

Karen Read is a college professor. She owns her own large home in Mansfield. Was driving a Lexus. And although she's getting some help from the TB peanut gallery (and frankly, a wise move on her part to engage him), she's been able to put up the money for a very good defense team. We unfortunately still live in society where many people resent and distrust intelligent, independent self-made women. Most of the criticism I see about her from people who know nothing about her seems related to deeply rooted, although perhaps not realized, sexism.

I don't think it is even close to sexism. The situation is way more simple. KR is a celebrity now. As to celebrities, I have the right to say that I dislike Madonna or J-Lo, but absolutely love Priyanka Chopra or Sharon Stone. Celebrities have a different status, it is personal.

Same way, as humans, we have the right to have opinions of the defendants. And TBH, mine has nada to do with her being a good earner or driving a Lexus. In fact, these are all pluses.

However, our personal opinions should not obscure the main point, is KR getting a fair trial? Was she treated fairly by Canton police? Are they professional? This is where i am starting to have more and more doubts.

Unless KR's Lexus had a hidden/retractable cow catcher attached to the back end, I personally don't see how those injuries on his arm could have come from a vehicle hit.
MOO

The question that came to mind was, did anyone, not just KR, anyone whose car was around BA's house that night, have winter chains on their tires? Or, could dragging someone in the house cause such deep lacerations?

The dog bites that I have seen looked different. But dogs have claws, too, and they can scratch someone.

What really looks the strangest is...everyone says that JO was wearing warm clothes. If so, how could a car hit leave such deep lacerations on the skin without tearing the clothes? It is almost like the person has to get the wounds when undressed then be dressed up. Very odd. Can you imagine the context of the situation that might have caused it?

I'd expect the contents of JO's phone to be subpoenaed. Texts, and all.

Last edited:
The question that came to mind was, did anyone, not just KR, anyone whose car was around BA's house that night, have winter chains on their tires? Or, could dragging someone in the house cause such deep lacerations?

The dog bites that I have seen looked different. But dogs have claws, too, and they can scratch someone.

What really looks the strangest is...everyone says that JO was wearing warm clothes. If so, how could a car hit leave such deep lacerations on the skin without tearing the clothes? It is almost like the person has to get the wounds when undressed then be dressed up. Very odd. Can you imagine the context of the situation that might have caused it?

It may be a matter of not being able to access the data?? Apple isn't cooperative in those situations. moo

Going through X posts from yesterday and noticed this post. Hadn't posted this from yesterday, due to posting another reporter's posts. I am a visual person, so like pics.

@BienickWCVB

Here's the picture that was shown earlier today, showing McLaughlin in a yellow and red winter coat talking to Read, to her right, at the scene where O'Keefe's body was found.

1714831504049.png
10:26 AM · May 3, 2024

More postings...

After McLaughlin's testimony, the jury is expected to visit the property in Canton where O'Keefe's body was found on Jan. 29, 2022.

#KarenRead Here is a video of the dash camera video shown in court on Thursday with highlights and annotations added by #wcvb . (Part 1 of 2)

#KarenRead Here is a video of the dash camera video shown in court on Thursday with highlights and annotations added by #wcvb . (Part 2 of 2)

Last edited:

I have never seen a car drive with chains in the metro Boston area. There may be someone somewhere who has them for a particularly steep driveway in the woods somewhere out in central or western Ma or something similar. Snow removal equipment, plowing, sanding, salting etc is usually a pretty big budget item for the towns.
JMO

I hope I'm not breaking any rules when I say that there's an incredible attorney who is following and explaining Karen Read's case. Melanie Little on yt. She also goes over the court documents in this case and she has relevant experts as guests! Dog bites for example
Bringing out Melanie Little on youtube was so informative! Great recommendation.

Anyone in that cop group have issues with the victim? We don't know I guess. Were they all very drunk, perhaps aggressively so ?
RSBM
There is social media that alludes to this, but I don't think we can post here as a credible source. I found it interesting anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ