Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
British police ready to question 'Tapas Seven' over Madeleine disappearance

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3674900.ece

The interviews will begin next Tuesday with the first of the seven British friends who were on holiday with the McCanns when Madeleine was reported missing in Portugal. A different couple will be interviewed each day in the presence of Portuguese detectives at the headquarters of Leicestershire Police.

The officers will concentrate on alleged inconsistencies in the timelines of events on May 3.
British officers will then begin interviews with more than two dozen other people who were at the Ocean Club resort in Praia Da Luz on May 3 last year or who were later connected to the case.

The list of people to be interviewed has been provided by Kate and Gerry McCann as part of their rights as arguidos to demand that police speak to people who could prove their innocence.
Paulo Rebelo, the chief investigator in the Polícia Judiciária investigation into Madeleine's disappearance, will fly to Britain with two other detectives on Monday.
Hopefully things will soon become clearer.
Paulo Rebelo does seem to be doing things his way...Leaks/smears since he took over have become few and far between.

I think he is quietly reviewing everything and these interviews are part of that.

Couple of articles:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/McCanns-press-EU-for-Amber.3951491.jp

McCanns press EU for Amber Alerts

Gerry and Kate McCann will visit Brussels next Thursday to urge Europe-wide support for a comprehensive cross-border missing child alert system.
Madeleine McCann, then aged three, vanished from a holiday resort in southern Portugal on May 3 last year.

Her parents want Euro-MPs to put their names to a declaration demanding swift agreement on a United States-style "Amber Alert" system able to track abducted youngsters across the Continent if necessary.

The McCanns discussed the American system during a visit to Washington last month for talks with the US National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, and are convinced EU countries can cooperate to set up a similar rapid response plan.

. . . Portugal promoted the French alert system to EU Justice Ministers at talks last September. The McCanns welcomed the move but nothing has resulted so far.

So interesting - Portugal already pushed this with the EU last September. But there's no better time to bring it back up than when the police are in the neighborhood re-questioning all your friends. :bang:

And there is this overview of the case in Portugal, looking ahead to the police interviews in England and the first anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance in May.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/apr/06/madeleinemccann.internationalcrime?gusrc=rss&feed=uknews

Links as the Portuguese Police arrive in England today:

Police fly to England
Link Here

The Portuguese officers were expected to land at East Midlands Airport at 12.20pm on the flight from Faro.

A spokeswoman for Leicestershire constabulary said: “The Portuguese authorities have asked that the contents of the request and the way it is being executed be kept confidential so as not to prejudice their ongoing investigation.”

BBC: Who are the McCann tapas seven?
Link Here

City Mother Jane Tanner to be Interviewed
Link Here

City mother Jane Tanner is to be the first person to be quizzed by police in a new round of questioning over the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, according to reports.

Portuguese police are due to arrive in the UK tomorrow to meet detectives in Leicestershire. The three-man Portuguese team, led by Paulo Rebelo, the chief investigator in the disappearance of Madeleine from Praia De Luz on May 3, last year, are understood to be in the UK to interview around 60 witnesses connected with the case, starting with Ms Tanner.She and her partner, Russell O'Brien, who works at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital, are close friends of Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann.

At last!:clap: this should have happened MONTHS ago....

I bet the people of Praia da Luz really just can't wait for their return, just in time for the holiday season to begin as well.:rolleyes:

I just read somewhere that the detectives will NOT directly question the friends, how effective that will be???

Here you go Sleuthmom: http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2008/04/pj-authorized-to-question-mccanns.html

"The diligence should be done only by the British authorities, but the Portuguese obtained a special authorization to do the interrogations directly. “We were only going to assist the interrogations and make suggestions. However due to the good existent collaboration between both police forces, it was agreed that we should do the cross-examinations. It was a question of courtesy from the English Police in general and of Leicester in particular”, explained to 24horas a Judiciary Police source."

<more at link>

This info is coming from 24horas (Portuguese Press)

I read (on the Proboards site today) that the detectives will be allowed to question the friends directly. They will be actively involved in the interviews. I'll try to find you a link....

BTW gang, the 3A's board is "jumpin" today...

Check it out: http://74.54.207.242/viewforum.php? f=1&sid=05a65f8705b0725f47c7eeec48c7e1fa

What a DREADFUL board! Talk about a lynch mob :eek: :eek:

I'm getting a "server error" when I look there - I bet they crashed from all the news! :crazy:

What a day, huh? Wowie!

Yes, you are right TF. Today they set a record for the most visitors!!

Keep trying, I was just able to get through now as it is getting late across the pond.

Welllll, I don't think the picture is a fake. I think the appearance of Maddie's legs is because that's how they cropped the picture. I will say my only expertise in picture sluething comes from looking at family photos and I have never used photoshop for anything other then just playing around.

It does appear that even expert photo folks don't agree on the authenticity of the photo, so who knows???

I would like to know how many other posters here think the McCanns will go back for the "recreation"?

I was going to write something really sarcastic, but I'll bite my tongue and just say - I don't think they will go willing. The articles are conflicting.... some say they have been "asked" and some say they have been "ordered" but whatever, I don't think they will go.

Salem

I really don't know what to think about the photograph. I remember a thread on the Mirror Forums where someone gave very detailed Scientific explanation as to why it was a fake, pity that has gone now for reference.
There has been a lot of speculation about the pic, I guess we will never know for sure!

I don't think that the McCanns will go back to Portugal under any circumstances!

One thing that strikes me about this request for the reconstruction, is it not unusual to ask the actual people involved to participate? Usually it is actors that are used for obvious reasons - stress to bereaved etc. I think this just may be an excuse to get them back to Portugal or a story they are putting out when in actual fact they may have been ordered back.

There is still the question of the other suspicious photograph where the buggy is covered & there appears to be a much bigger child on one side than the twins. I will try to find the link, I have it saved on my PC but don't know how to upload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick