Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the confusion here, seems like conspiracies circulate around JC on the internet like mutating viruses.
Wolters has been quoted as saying the CB is being extradited and it might takes weeks or months.
Not that hard to understand IMO.

by: KAI FELDHAUS, MIRKO VOLTMER AND TANIA WINTERSTEINpublished on4/21/2022 - 9:03 p.m
Portugal has not had a suspect in the Maddie case since Kate and Gerry McCann were considered suspects 15 years ago.
But now charges are apparently being brought against the German Christian Brückner! You can read all the background information with BILDplus

German tabloid newspaper Bild then reported that the suspect is Christian Brückner, who is currently serving a rape sentence in Germany.

by: KAI FELDHAUS, MIRKO VOLTMER AND TANIA WINTERSTEINpublished on4/21/2022 - 9:03 p.m
Portugal has not had a suspect in the Maddie case since Kate and Gerry McCann were considered suspects 15 years ago.
But now charges are apparently being brought against the German Christian Brückner! You can read all the background information with BILDplus

German tabloid newspaper Bild then reported that the suspect is Christian Brückner, who is currently serving a rape sentence in Germany.

The Week is UK news, but thanks for the other, even though Bild has spelled CB's name incorrectly.

Could be that CB was arguido in Portugal at the time and he could be named.
We'll have to wait for our German lawyer member to clarify.

Last edited:
I don't understand the confusion here, seems like conspiracies circulate around JC on the internet like mutating viruses.
Wolters has been quoted as saying the CB is being extradited and it might takes weeks or months.
I agree. JC probably has good rapport with HCW.

I agree. JC probably has good rapport with HCW.
I agree. Why is it so difficult to comprehend that a journalist might be asking more than others for interviews with the speaker of the prosecution office? And the speaker might as well respond?
Why should the extradiction of CB who is currently in jail in Germany be newsworthy in Germany? Of course the charges would but the extradiction : why would it? It is just a procedural thing...

Yes. I am at a bit of a loss to explain it.

I don't think a german public official would give an 'exclusive' to such a small foreign publication. But given the quotes - why has no german publication since reported the extradition of this major media figure? Is reporting on this not allowed? But then why would HCW give quotes to OP?

I am leaning towards the theory that MSM isn't touching this without direct quotes. i.e. if they report that he is being extradited on specific charges but then he isn't charged, that could result in legal action from CB

It's the best theory I've got. It doesn't seem credible that no major media source has noticed OPs quotes from the prosecutor on such a public case.
I only really understand English libel law, but certainly, in England, there would not be a cat in hell's chance of Christian Brueckner being able to sue anyone for libel. English libel law starts on the premise that a person bringing an action must have a reputation to defend, which Brueckner, irrespective of his guilt or innocence of crimes against Madeleine, doesn't. He is currently serving a prison sentence for a brutal rape and has a string of other convictions for crimes against children.

Also, my understanding is that English libel law is among the most permissive in terms of accommodating and upholding libel actions of any in the world.

I don't have an opinion about libel, but I do have an opinion about human rightss.

Under human rights legislation everyone, including criminals, is entitled to a fair trial by being presumed innocent until found guilty.

I don't think Brueckner has been granted the presumption of innocence by Prosecutor Wolters judging by what he has said.

I don't have an opinion about libel, but I do have an opinion about human rightss.

Under human rights legislation everyone, including criminals, is entitled to a fair trial by being presumed innocent until found guilty.

I don't think Brueckner has been granted the presumption of innocence by Prosecutor Wolters judging by what he has said.

re bold - not in Russia...

I think this has been discussed at length before in here. HCW did not act on his own initiative when he proclaimed that CB is the only suspect. He got a court order to do that. I find it hard to believe that the justice system in Germany would take human rights lightly. And also if CB is charged he will be trialed not by a lay jury but by judges - which does make a real difference in terms of a fair trial. Lastly the job of the prosecution in Germany is to find evidence for both the innonence and the guilt of a suspect. HCW has stated they have found none of the former.

Jmo

Ps could you please use initials for CB thanks!

BIB

My point is simply, no mainstream media source confirms that he is being extradited.

It would seem to me, a big deal that the prosecutors' office is confirming on the record the extradition of the key suspect in the case, to face a specific charge. Yet no mainstream German or UK source has the quotes.

Perhaps HCW will update the German media soon.

Presumption of innocence applies only in Court. The prosecutor does not presume innocence - indeed the opposite.

I only really understand English libel law, but certainly, in England, there would not be a cat in hell's chance of Christian Brueckner being able to sue anyone for libel. English libel law starts on the premise that a person bringing an action must have a reputation to defend, which Brueckner, irrespective of his guilt or innocence of crimes against Madeleine, doesn't. He is currently serving a prison sentence for a brutal rape and has a string of other convictions for crimes against children.

Also, my understanding is that English libel law is among the most permissive in terms of accommodating and upholding libel actions of any in the world.

Hypothetically, if UK media reported CB was being extradited to face a rape charge, based on the OP reporting rather than on the record comment from the prosecutor, and then that turned out to be substantively untrue, they could face a libel action, quite clearly. So I could certainly understand why UK media would not report without their own on the record confirmation.

Anyway - this all goes nowhere. We just have to wait and see what gets confirmed on the record. It's more a curiosity.

I think this article alone shows why what ever is reported it should be treated with caution, a source said earlier in the year OG was to end, now this as come up, no MSM seems to be on it, its says in the article the funding was confirmed following a FOI request, is the number for the request known ?

I think this article alone shows why what ever is reported it should be treated with caution, a source said earlier in the year OG was to end, now this as come up, no MSM seems to be on it, its says in the article the funding was confirmed following a FOI request, is the number for the request known ?
Not really. If you look at previous years it was usually around mid July that funding was confirmed to the media.

The Metropolitan Police has requested funding from the Home Office to keep its investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann going into the new financial year...

Dated march 2022

Let's wait for the official home office statement.

Last edited:
Not really. If you look at previous years it was usually around mid July that funding was confirmed to the media.

The Metropolitan Police has requested funding from the Home Office to keep its investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann going into the new financial year...

Dated march 2022

Let's wait for the official home office statement.
I know previously July is around the time of confirmation but the Metro cites a FOI, looking at the MET there's not one there nor for SY.

no MSM seems to be on it,

The British investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann is being continued for another year by the Metropolitan Police.
Reports had suggested that Operation Grange would be wound down this autumn with the end of its funding as the circumstances of the three-year-old’s disappearance 15 years ago remain unsolved.
Scotland Yard has been assisting the Portuguese authorities investigating how she vanished from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.
The British detectives were set to wind down their 11-year involvement in the case, according to reports in March 2022.
However, Scotland Yard has now confirmed in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOI) request that the case has received funding to continue until March 2023.
Christian Brueckner, who is currently in a German prison for a number of sex and drug offences, was named by prosecutors in the country as a chief suspect in June 2020.
A subsequent request for the current 12 months has now been granted, according to the reply provided by the Met Police.
The response stated: ‘I have contacted the Operation Grange Team and in response to your question regarding Operation Grange being closed, they have advised that an application for further funding was submitted and authorised by the Home Office earlier this year.
‘This funding runs until March 2023. Regular reviews between the MPS and the Home Office continue to take place throughout the year. Operation Grange remains open at this present time.’...........

Last edited:
Article from May but has direct quotes from HCW about the connection between the cases with MM. It is clear they are going for MO. So these charges appear to be v relevant to the case of MM...

German federal police hope to charge Brückner with Behan's rape "in the next three months". Hans Christian Wolters, the prosecutor leading the investigation, also said that German police may have enough evidence against Brückner to bring him to trial over the abduction of McCann if he is convicted of raping Behan, according to the Times of London.

"The case against the suspect Christian B for the rape of Hazel Behan is in a good way, and it may be that we can charge him in the next three months. I am very hopeful for a charge on this case," Wolters said.

"We are building a picture of Christian B and the methods he uses to commit his crimes. There are parallels with the case of the American tourist who was raped, the attack on Hazel Behan, and the abduction and murder of Madeleine McCann.

Wolters said that he hoped a judge will believe that Brückner was capable of abducting McCann if he is found guilty of raping Behan in the same area, which could be enough to take the Madeleine McCann case to trial.

"Maybe the judge will think that somebody who has raped more than one woman in the same place where Madeleine was taken would also be more likely to take and kill a young girl. It says something about his character," Wolters said.

Article from May but has direct quotes from HCW about the connection between the cases with MM. It is clear they are going for MO. So these charges appear to be v relevant to the case of MM...

German federal police hope to charge Brückner with Behan's rape "in the next three months". Hans Christian Wolters, the prosecutor leading the investigation, also said that German police may have enough evidence against Brückner to bring him to trial over the abduction of McCann if he is convicted of raping Behan, according to the Times of London.

"The case against the suspect Christian B for the rape of Hazel Behan is in a good way, and it may be that we can charge him in the next three months. I am very hopeful for a charge on this case," Wolters said.

"We are building a picture of Christian B and the methods he uses to commit his crimes. There are parallels with the case of the American tourist who was raped, the attack on Hazel Behan, and the abduction and murder of Madeleine McCann.

Wolters said that he hoped a judge will believe that Brückner was capable of abducting McCann if he is found guilty of raping Behan in the same area, which could be enough to take the Madeleine McCann case to trial.

"Maybe the judge will think that somebody who has raped more than one woman in the same place where Madeleine was taken would also be more likely to take and kill a young girl. It says something about his character," Wolters said.

sounds a bit flimsy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members