Magic trick costs teacher job

Subs. at my kids school get paid $95.00 a day. All you need is a GED or diploma. Teachers Aides get $14.00 an hour and also GED or diploma is all that is required. I put in an application but the apps. were stacked 300 high lol..EVERYBODY wants those two jobs here. We are moving in a few months so I never really pushed the issue but man it would of been some good money! I was a teachers aide in Texas for over 2 years and you had to have an associates degree there to get that job.

GOOD GRIEF! I'm making $75/day as a long term sub with a bachelors degree AND a valid teaching certificate! (The "story" here is that they pay so low so retired teachers can sub almost full-time and still get their full retirement benefits. What about the rest of us?)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/article511648.ece
Ordinarily, the sacking of a substitute teacher doesn't make the news at all.
But Jim Piculas said the magic word when he called the local CBS news outlet seeking help and attention to his story.
"It just sounded outrageous," Channel 10 reporter Janie Porter recalled. "The term 'wizardry' that he used, it sounded like the kind of story that would generate a lot of buzz online and on TV."
So instead of sending his call to some nameless producer behind the scenes, the station sent a crew out to interview him and capture his disappearing toothpick trick on tape.
The May 5 story, with the eye-catching Internet headline "Magic trick costs teacher job," quickly launched the 48-year-old former Marine and banker from Tarpon Springs onto the World Wide Web. The report noted that district officials said "it wasn't just the wizardry," and that Piculas "had other performance issues" such as failing to follow the class lesson plan.
In fact, assistant superintendent Renalia DuBose told the St. Petersburg Times, it wasn't the magic trick at all. Rather, the district had written reports from the principal and a teacher at Rushe Middle School detailing Piculas' use of profane language, his inability to control the class and his decision to put a student in charge — something the student's parent complained about.
But those details got drowned out as the tale bounced from blog to blog. It was the wizardry angle, with all its Harry Potter imagery, that grabbed the spotlight.
"The teacher was very smart," said Sree Sreenivasan, a professor of new media at the Columbia University School of Journalism. "It was in his interest to spin it the way he did. … That's a headline I would click and read."
So, too, would thousands of people across the globe.
================
alot more at the link.

Thanks sherri...actually, we have a teacher at school whom I can imagine doing exactly this type of thing. When I finally break and go complain about him it is going to be something dumb like the magic trick (not that I would be upset about that, but YKWIM) but it will really be the year's worth of crap that drives me over the edge.

9 more days!!!!

How ridiculuous!:banghead: Are we back in the days of the Salem Witch Hunts??? There are plenty of good reason to let a teacher go, including having sex with students (and oftentimes those teachers are kept on), but please, an innocent magic trick??? The district obviously has nothing better to do with its time.

I believe so. :(

I believe so. :(
nope. on the update it turns out the teacher lied. the school opened up its files for the press and the teacher was fired for things like leaving students to run the class and foul language.

In fact, assistant superintendent Renalia DuBose told the St. Petersburg Times, it wasn't the magic trick at all. Rather, the district had written reports from the principal and a teacher at Rushe Middle School detailing Piculas' use of profane language, his inability to control the class and his decision to put a student in charge — something the student's parent complained about.
i am sure the school will be sued for showing the file to the press or something anyway in the end.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back