Maine/Canada - Hurricane Lee, Sept 2023

The "fish spinner" just cracks me up. I am central east coast FL so the term fits.
Ha! I’m headed over your way to visit family. We may need to stand on the beach and blow air at the ocean. That’s what I’d tell my girls when they were little. Hurricane Lee might need a bit of persuasion to leave us alone! LOL!!

L3MHIX2ANZDXRB5A4HZ4TNPQEI.png

As Lee turns northward next week dangerous surf will develop along the East Coast while the risk for direct impact rises in New England.

For a look at Lee's projected path through Saturday, Sept. 16
Screen_Shot_2023-09-09_at_2.23.06_PM_kkayoy.jpg

Hurricane LEE
As of 18:00 UTC Sep 10, 2023:

Maximum Winds: 105 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 954 mb
Environmental Pressure: N/A
Radius of Circulation: N/A
Radius of Maximum wind: 15 nm
64 kt Wind Radii by Quadrant:

1694391423160.png

Last edited:
Hurricane #Lee could bring a variety of hazardous conditions to the northeastern U.S. and southeastern Canada later this week, but how severe and widespread will depend on Lee's track and how quickly it approaches land.

An encouraging sign is that models expect Lee to slow down as it nears or enters the Gulf of Maine, which will cause it to pass over cold water north of the Gulf Stream (see image below) for a longer period of time than typically occurs with hurricanes in this region, which are usually fast movers. This could lead to max winds decreasing below hurricane force (74 mph) before they potentially move into land areas. However, the farther west Lee moves, the shorter its time over cold water will be, and the stronger its winds near New England could potentially be. With any luck, Lee will slow down far enough offshore to make this no worse than an average winter nor'easter in terms of wind impacts, but we don't know for sure, as this is still about 5 days out. I'll talk more about the possible outcomes in tomorrow's video discussion.

Regardless of the exact level of wind impacts, there will also be potential for heavy rainfall on the northwestern side of Lee that could spread well inland far from the storm center. Coastal flooding and other hazards from high surf, rip currents, and storm surge may also occur in some areas. Again, details will depend on Lee's exact track, which remains somewhat uncertain 5 days out.

There remains a range of possible outcomes in terms of impact severity from Lee, so preparing based on your local vulnerability to these hazards is probably a good idea just in case.

Last edited:

LeeRainWind11Sep10a.jpg

Along the swath from Delmarva to New Jersey and Long Island, New York, there is a non-zero chance of Lee wandering in, but the chances will increase exponentially farther to the north in New England and reach a peak in Nova Scotia. These same areas will experience building offshore swells, coastal wave action, beach erosion, and rip currents from midweek to this weekend.

LeeSEBeaches11Sep.jpg

We received our first official weather alert. Right now it’s a ‘moderate’ possible threat, which is better than Fiona last year. It’s moving slow, and it’s very wide. I’ve never been in a hurricane that’s expected to last this long once it hits. 2F65BE03-4CEA-4274-9A79-864008F3CB47.jpeg

I have lots of family in New England. An Aunt and her children in Harrington ME. Two brothers in Wells ME. Cousin in Kennebunk ME. Niece in Plymouth MA and she has a 10 y/o autistic son. He is high functioning but I still worry for them. That area has had a lot of rain and flooding this past week. A hurricane is just more pain for all of them.

This video gives a great synopsis of what could happen and what will likely happen.

Hurricane LEE
As of 18:00 UTC Sep 12, 2023:

Maximum Winds: 100 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 949 mb
Radius of Maximum wind: 30 nm

I have lots of family in New England. An Aunt and her children in Harrington ME. Two brothers in Wells ME. Cousin in Kennebunk ME. Niece in Plymouth MA and she has a 10 y/o autistic son. He is high functioning but I still worry for them. That area has had a lot of rain and flooding this past week. A hurricane is just more pain for all of them.

This video gives a great synopsis of what could happen and what will likely happen.

Hurricane LEE

I alerted my son, who lives in Vermont, about Hurricane Lee. His in-laws own a small cottage on the Maine coast, and he was going to offer to go over and batten down the hatches. Haven't heard anything more yet.

Hurricane LEE

I am in New England now...but far inland and west. However, Vermont has been inundated with rain this year, so not sure what to expect. I am watching so closely for my friends and relatives in ME, as well. And I have a best friend in Nova Scotia.... She just moved from Florida to Nova Scotia last year... and quite naturally, she felt she 'was getting away from hurricanes'......... sigh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back