Major ice storm across parts of the South and Ohio Valley starting Thursday

My FedEx delivery has been postponed until tomorrow. The weather alert still appears on the tracking site.

No precipitation in metro-Detroit, but it has been dark and dreary all day long.

Stay safe.

80 degrees here today! I'm loving it. Higher tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off to clean up my yard from all the leaves that has fallen and enjoying the nice day one more time outside. Have family coming for Christmas.

I feel for all the people experiencing this icy cold weather. I could not live there. I hate the cold!

lol I live in it and I hate it. I can not stand winter.

we had freezing rain and sleet all night last night and half the day. This afternoon the snow came and about an hour ago I had 4 inches and its still coming down.

Rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow here in KY which culminated into a treacherous drive home from work. But, now that I'm home... the snow looks rather pretty :snowflake:

'Trying to remain hopeful there won't be power outages.

Hoping all our members going through this storm stay safe and don't lose electricity!

Let us know how you are doing, please.

:coldout:

Stay safe everyone :please:

The ice won't reach us until tomorrow but let me just say; my body is aching badly as well as this cold is WET and bone chilling. To da Core. I dont like it!!

I had to turn up the furnace to like 75 today. I'm not comfortable at anything less. :( What is your thermostat usually set to? I'm curious what everyone's usual setting is during the daytime.

We set our heat to 68-70 during the day and around 65 at night. However we still need a space heater for one cold room. Unlike our old house, our home now has thicker walls, is very well insulated with double pane windows and we have some awesome southern exposure which allows us to take advantage of natural sunlight.

If I was cold and aching you bet I'd turn the heat up, and I have, so don't feel guilty!

I remember one year we got around one and a half inches of ice and it became positively dangerous to walk outside....giant tree limbs were cracking and falling constantly and giant chunks of ice were falling. No way to drive at all much less walk on a sidewalk, patio or deck. I can't believe we didn't lose power that time as we have lost power many times in the past.

Do you remember the Great Ice Storm of 1998? Oh my! May you all be spared.

I think so. I think that may have been the time I slid through the parking lot into another vehicle. Couldn't stop - couldn't turn - was completely at the mercy of the ice. And my friend insisted I should try again so that I could meet up with them. I turned her down. LOL.

The ice won't reach us until tomorrow but let me just say; my body is aching badly as well as this cold is WET and bone chilling. To da Core. I dont like it!!

I had to turn up the furnace to like 75 today. I'm not comfortable at anything less. :( What is your thermostat usually set to? I'm curious what everyone's usual setting is during the daytime.

70 but if I had my way it would be at a comfortable 72

Oh Lordy-- We have already lost ALL POWER!!... Ugh! Ugh! and more Ugh!!.. and the ice hasn't even set in.. Obviously someone has already lost control and smashed into a pole or something..that was quickly followed by bright blue flashes in the sky..and then the sound of many sirens...

Sooooooooooo.. I've concluded that it just so happens that we have the misfortune and bad luck of actually having lost all power BEFORE THE BIG, OL', HEAVY ICE STORM HAS EVEN SET IN!!

Hope everyone whose in the path of this ice storm stays safe, warm, and cozy!

oh no, I hope you get it back soon!

still no ice up here in Canada but it is FRIGID!

4 die of hypothermia in SF Bay Area cold snap

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-4_die_of_hypothermia_in_sf_bay_area_cold-ap

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Four homeless people have died of hypothermia in the San Francisco Bay Area since last week, authorities said, highlighting the danger to people without shelter as the region is gripped by freezing temperatures.

Santa Clara County sheriff's Lt. Dave Lera said at a news conference Friday afternoon that the victims were all men in their late 40s or early 50s.

"I've met with the doctors and they informed me that hypothermia played a role in all of the deaths," Lera said.......more......

This is crazy...we are at -15 at the moment, with windchills in the -30s!!! (I'm in Montana)

I want to move lol!!!! Stay warm everyone!

This is crazy...we are at -15 at the moment, with windchills in the -30s!!! (I'm in Montana)

I want to move lol!!!! Stay warm everyone!

Brrrrrr!!! That is "BEAR" weather... meaning I hope you can just hibernate through it! :)

I'm sick of this ice, but on the 11 AM news, it was said that the DFW area may get another round of it later this week.
If you want to see how power lines are being affected, ONCOR has a new website where they are marking the outages throughout their repair area in real time.

This is the link.. if you have mobile internet, or still have your regular internet, you can see what's happening in your area, how many outages have been reported by households in the same area, and watch as the outage goes back on line.

http://stormcenter.oncor.com/default.html

I'm lucky in that all of Pecan's power lines are underground. Unlucky because our private roads and bridge stay iced up forever and a day LOL.

Be safe, everyone.

Our power has been going off for periods of time through out today. The wind is absolutely howling outside and the snow is blowing sideways. My elderly parents decided to just go to bed when the power went off this afternoon. At least they'll stay warm for the night. Maybe things will calm down by tomorrow.

Our power has been going off for periods of time through out today. The wind is absolutely howling outside and the snow is blowing sideways. My elderly parents decided to just go to bed when the power went off this afternoon. At least they'll stay warm for the night. Maybe things will calm down by tomorrow.

hope they don't wake up at like 3 or 4 a.m., when it's coldest

4 die of hypothermia in SF Bay Area cold snap

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-4_die_of_hypothermia_in_sf_bay_area_cold-ap

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Four homeless people have died of hypothermia in the San Francisco Bay Area since last week, authorities said, highlighting the danger to people without shelter as the region is gripped by freezing temperatures.

Santa Clara County sheriff's Lt. Dave Lera said at a news conference Friday afternoon that the victims were all men in their late 40s or early 50s.

"I've met with the doctors and they informed me that hypothermia played a role in all of the deaths," Lera said.......more......

I think about homeless people every night when I'm in my warm bed. No one should be without shelter or food. It hurts my soul.

hope they don't wake up at like 3 or 4 a.m., when it's coldest

When the power goes out, the temperature in the house just keeps on dropping unless you have a back up source of heat that doesn't require electricity. So it will be even colder in the morning than it was in the middle of the night. It's pretty dangerous if it goes on for more than a few hours, so most people around here have a backup heating system.

Out here on the south/west coast (southern CA), they've lifted the frost/freeze advisory that we've been under for the last 5 days. This morning, it was 33* at 7:30, which means things had gotten far colder overnight.

Finn and Grace were fine going out to pee. Romi, my beagle, ran out, peed and then ran back as fast as his little legs could bring him. LOL.

BTW, we're not even in winter yet...Dec. 21 is when winter sets in. If this is still fall, man...what will winter bring?

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname