Major Severe Weather Outbreak Expected Tonight

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here in Indiana it is EXTREMELY windy this morning! Around tropical storm strength winds, at times. We seems to be averaging 35mph, or so, with gusts close to 60mph at times. I had a VERY difficult time driving my S-10 home from work.

It is also extremely windy here in SE Michigan. My boss was to fly home from Tampa last night, and I'm worried about how their flight went.

Last night they warned us about the tornado sounding like a train, and if we heard it, it would only be a mile away. Was sitting here a few minutes ago, and over the sound of stuff hitting the house, I could hear that sound. Took me a few seconds to realize that it really was the local train, but it sounded different over the sound of the wind. had a wee split second of panic there, though!

Sometime around 4 this morning, I thought my house was going to blow apart. Just all at once, the wind and rain started pounding our house and did so constantly for over an hour. It was a hard wind that rattled the siding on our house.......I need to go outside and see if any blew off as it did in a storm last year. We really needed the rain though.......but it sure was scary!

BarnGoddess said:
DK, is this something we caused out here? Yesterday it snowed and blew enough to close I70 in the Rockies, then blew out into the open plains. At 5:30 PM (MT) yesterday it really started to blow and rain. At about midnight I couldn't sleep because of the fierce wind coming out of the west, northwest. We reportedly had gusts up to 60 mph. I live just 20 miles west of the Kansas/Colorado line and just 5 miles south of I70. It seems that we have a really good blow, then hear the following day that tornados broke out east of us.

It's the same during the tornado season. We seem to spawn the weather, but get relatively few tornados here.

I know that several years ago there was a weather question on the Weather Channel about the windiest place in the US. I was surprised when the winner was Goodland, Kansas. That's 35 miles east of us and has our nearest NOAA station.
It was a combination of things that triggered it.

It's extremely windy here in southwest Michigan, too.

I almost put on my ankle weights. :D

We've dropped all the way down to 26 degrees, here, and with the howling wind the wind chill is around 10 above, brrrrrrrrrrrr.

How widespread is this going to be? Sounds really severe!

I live in Memphis. yesterday at 7:00 am, the temp was 71. The day was dark and cloudy then about 3:40 it turned black outside and rained like crazy. When I left work at 5:00 I didn't see or hear more rain. Today, the sun is bright as glory and about 48 degrees.

We're now getting out fist snow, though it probably won't stick

But boy, if you have noogies, you're gonna freeze them off around here!

We are now about 42 and decending! It's very windy and we will have lake effect snow later,saw a few rotten flakes when I had the dogs out! Oh I hate this weather but I am thankful we didn't have a major storm during cool down.Take care.

3 Tornadoes Confirmed in Southern Indiana

(Cannelburg, Ind.-AP) The National Weather Service says at least three tornadoes struck Indiana yesterday, and two of them were F3 storms that generated winds of up to 200 miles per hour.

Meteorologist John Ogren says the two F3 twisters were spawned by the same supercell thunderstorm that raced across Indiana at about 60 miles per hour, causing non-tornadic wind damage in Brown County.

The strongest of the tornadoes hit Bartholomew County, causing damage near the town of Hope, before pushing into Shelby County. Ogren says that storm was a strong F3 on the Fujita scale with estimated winds of 200 miles per hour and a path of destruction up to 300 yards wide at times.

He says a second F3 tornado that cut a path through Daviess County, causing damage in the communities of Washington, Montgomery and Cannelburg, had winds of between 158 and 206 miles per hour.

That storm also pushed into Martin County, causing damage in the town of Bramble. The weather service says a less-powerful F1 tornado also touched down in Grant County, midway between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis, damaging a grain elevator.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

www.wane.com

I rode out the storms in Evansville, IN yesterday with my parents. I was suppose to drive from Evansville to my home near Fort Wayne yesterday. But after looking at the weather maps and consulting with my better half, I decided to wait it out at my parents. I am glad I did too. Tornado warnings were being issued left and right from Indy all the way down to west of Evansville.

Now today near Fort Wayne we have gusting winds and a temp of 30 degrees with a wind chill of 18. It has always been said if you don't like the weather in Indiana wait a minute; it will change.

Hope everybody stayed safe.

deespoohbear said:
I rode out the storms in Evansville, IN yesterday with my parents. I was suppose to drive from Evansville to my home near Fort Wayne yesterday. But after looking at the weather maps and consulting with my better half, I decided to wait it out at my parents. I am glad I did too. Tornado warnings were being issued left and right from Indy all the way down to west of Evansville.

Now today near Fort Wayne we have gusting winds and a temp of 30 degrees with a wind chill of 18. It has always been said if you don't like the weather in Indiana wait a minute; it will change.

Fort Wayne also had tornado warnings last night.

bbbrrrr is right! Yesterday in KY it was 75 degrees...this morning it was 45 and when we arrived in Indy for our meeting it was 33!!! It was spitting snow on the way home!!

Dark Knight said:
Fort Wayne also had tornado warnings last night.

My hubby told me that Allen and Adams counties were under a tornado warning last night. Fun all across the state! :waitasec:

deespoohbear said:

---------------------Hi deespoohbear, glad you stayed with your parents.We had warnings all over Ohio too.The wind is still vicious (sp)..It's always been said in the Cleveland area too~if you dont like the weather wait a minute it'll change. especially right by Lake Erie~heavy lake effect snow tonight!! Stay warm.

We live in the southern part of Illinois and WHOA!!! :eek: I was scared! It's very chilly...okay COLD now but I'm glad the cold front finally got through. We were fortunate here.

Situation:

The National Weather Service (NWS) confirms three tornadoes in Indiana yesterday.
  • An F-3 tornado in Bartholomew and Shelby Counties
  • An F-3 tornado in Martin and Daviess Counties
  • An F-1 tornado in Grant County
Storm damage reported throughout Indiana. Statewide damage assessment underway.

Injuries:

· 1 fatality in Hancock County (17 year-old female flipped car in attempt to drive through high water).

· Approximately 10 injuries, 1 serious.

Damage:
  • Numerous reports of damage in several counties.
  • Statewide assessment of damage continues.
Current Situation Report by County:

Bartholomew County
  • Damage reported.
Brown County
  • 4 residences damaged.
Daviess County
  • Approximately130 residences damaged. Approximately 20 businesses damaged. Damage predominantly on Amish or Mennonite farms. 2 one room school houses damaged. 1 church damaged.
  • Approximately 1,000 animals killed or destroyed. Indiana Department of Environmental Management and Indiana Board of Animal Health responding.
Dubois County
  • 1 structure damaged.
Fayette County
  • 1 residence damaged.
Gibson County

· 4 residences damaged.

Grant County

· 1 structure damaged.

· 1 grain elevator damaged.

Greene County

· 1 residence damaged.

Lawrence County

· 2 residences damaged.

Martin County

· 4 residences damaged.

· 3 structures damaged.

· County declared state of emergency.

Perry County

· Several roads reported under water.

Shelby County

· Approximately 16 residences damaged.

Switzerland County

· Significant flooding reported.

Warrick County

· Wide-spread flooding reported in Boonville and Newburgh.

· Fire departments called to assist with rescuing occupants from residences.

· 20-50 residences flooded.

Response:
  • Indiana State EOC still activated from Vanderburgh/Warrick County tornadoes, but activities were ramped up at 1200 Hrs. EST.
  • Responding agencies: Indiana Department of Homeland Security, Indiana State Police, Indiana National Guard, Indiana Department of Natural Resources and Indiana Department of Transportation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaJDelta
Back