Make Breastfeeding the Law: Gisele

Should there be a worldwide law requiring breastfeeding for 6 months?

• Yes. Breast is best.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • No. I think it should be encouraged but not a law.

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • Only when men can do it too.

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • No. Stay out of my business.

Votes: 118 49.4%

• Total voters
There probably are some steps that can be taken to encourage breast feeding without making it a legal issue:

New mothers should be encouraged to let their babies have the colostrum unless there is a real reason why not to. This isn't a big sacrifice for most new mothers, but it makes a big difference for the baby's immune system. I realise that it's not alway possible.

Formula companies shouldn't be permitted to advertise in the hospital neonatal ward, provide samples, display their names on neonatal furnishings and equipment, or in any way try to persuade a new mother that formula feeding is best. If the new mom wants to formula feed, then it should be a decision that was made without influence from big business.

There probably are some steps that can be taken to encourage breast feeding without making it a legal issue:.

I agree. I'ld like to see a push on breast feeding in the media similar to the "got milk?" ads.

I think people need to be educated about - or even bombarded with the fact that formula is NOT just as good as breast milk.

I think fathers, family, friends, co workers, acquaintances and complete strangers need to know breast milk is best and need to be encouraging toward breast feeding efforts of moms and babies.

my auntie was a midwife. she used to tell her ladies that it was best to breastfeed, but not to stress if they couldn't, for whatever reason.(there are a lot of reasons) to just try it for 3 days, because it was good for mama and baby. baby gets colostrum, mama gets all her lady parts back to normal. most did try it, some stayed with it, some didn't.

she almost didn't breastfeed, herself. at the time her son was born, (in 1972!) it wasn't "normal", and the hospital where he was born (in 1972 locked her in a room with a rocking chair and forgot about her for 12 hours. god forbid anyone should see her doing such a thing. when she got back home, her motherinlaw thought it was nasty, so she had to hide in her room to do it.

my cousin Debra, 8 at the time, accidentally walked in on her and was fascinated. all hell broke loose when her mother found out.(OMG she saw a BOOB!) by the time Deb had kids, times had changed, and she breastfed all 5 of them. her mother wasn't too thrilled, but she didn't care.

and I love this:

"3. This is NOT normal women and NOT a normal life, so don't take anything I say seriously, and don't worry if you don't look like I look. Even *I* don't look like I look. SRSLY. "

HC you crack me up!

Too many women I know have suffered the very negative attitudes of other women (including nurses and doctors, friends and in-laws, and yes, complete busybody strangers who have no business saying anything to anyone about breastfeeding period) because they cannot produce the amount of milk needed by their babies or they have a problem with latching or their medical circumstances make it impossible. These exhausted and worried women are taken to task for not eating the right food, or getting enough sleep, or being too old, or too fat, or too thin, or too lazy, or too selfish, or not loving their child enough to make that milk. They are told that bottle feeding leads to SIDS. They are told that bottle feeding will make their child's teeth be deformed. And that their child will never bond with them or love them because they couldn't breastfeed without supplemental bottles.

Pre-natal classes should prepare women for the possibility that they may not be able to breastfeed quickly, or at all, while stressing all the benefits that it will have for the newborn. Advertising encouraging women to breastfeed, and giving information about groups that would assist would be excellent. Telling women who can't produce milk that they are failures who are dooming their children to substandard nutrition by using formula--I'm not supportive of that. At all.

My sister was giving her adopted baby daughter a bottle while sitting on a park bench when an older woman went up to her and told her she was killing her child by giving her formula, and that if she wasn't so afraid of ruining her figure, she'd be a better mother. Somehow that woman never thought there could be valid reasons why someone could not breastfeed their baby.

I could see malls and large stores being forced to put in mothers' rooms--quiet places where a woman can nurse her baby. That would be a great idea.

Coercing women to breastfeed through pressure groups, not so much.

I could see malls and large stores being forced to put in mothers' rooms--quiet places where a woman can nurse her baby. That would be a great idea.

Coercing women to breastfeed through pressure groups, not so much.

mothers and babies can nurse anywhere they want.

stores forcing them into rooms to eat is unnecessary.

Here is my thoughts:

I believe that you know what is best for you and your child. And I support you however you choose to feed your child.

**** Gisele, seriously. She doesn't know what's best for you, she doesn't know what's best for your child. She doesn't know anything about you and she should not be telling you what to do.

This lady was saying how could you give your baby chemical food...... Well, has she thought about all the chemicals she is surrounding her baby with during her getting all "made up " ?

Does she realize that some infants will starve to death because not all women actually produce enough milk?

I breastfed both of my kids and my understanding is that production is based on supply/demand... More information at link:

Your milk supply is determined by the stimulation that your baby provides while nursing. In other words, the more you breastfeed, the more milk your body produces. So, if you seem to be producing less milk than usual, you should try to feed your baby more often. You also can pump after nursing to help stimulate more milk production.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/breastfeed/breastfeed_supply.html

Clearly, Mrs. Brady knows what is best for all of us. She also impresses me with her knowledge of how things work in the world outside her rich and privileged existence, as she thinks there should be a 'worldwide law'.

On a semi-related note: Which font best conveys sarcasm??

It's always interesting when celebs open their mouths and consider themselves an expert on topics who want to tell us how to live.

So if Giselle thinks breastfeeding should be a law then I hope her law also includes us having a hairstylist, makeup artist and manicurist on hand when we do breastfeed, just like she has in the pic.

Sorta O/T but I had a man once tell me that getting pain meds during childbirth should be outlawed and that i was wrong for having pain meds when I had my son. I pointed out that my son was born via C-section and I was cut open and the idiot STILL insisted that I should NOT have had drugs. Yeah, some people are idiots!!!

Another view is what about the women that are drug addicted? Do you want them breast feeding? What about the women that get pregnant in hopes to stay out of jail? They will not be kept out of jail to have a baby and breast feed it.

Rather than go on, the point of this is LAWS are not toys. You cannot make a law that says you must breast feed. You cannot always be sure it is possible, or that it is even healthy.

Why do stars think their names should be attached to laws?

Why can't they just donate to the starving in any country of their choice, including the U.S.?

Why not just do some actual good deeds and not make "world peace" teen on a stage getting a tiara type of statements? Just do a good deed and donate to the needy, and don't talk about it until you have at least put some thought, and, preferably, some research, into human existence.

Encouraged, but not a law. Never a law.

I breastfed my first, yet i had to make the decision to go to formula for my second due to medical reasons. So i would of been fined or jailed for something that was out of my control due to my health, for the sake of my son?

She's an idiot.

I voted, No. I think it should be encouraged but not a law. I didn't produce ANY milk at all. As a matter of fact, my son was allergic to it, and has to drink soy bean milk. Obviously I can't ptoduce that, so each case is different. :blushing:

She wasn't multi-tasking, she was multi-basking.

I just have to chime in here...I had my first in January, c section by choice initially because the thought and fear of birth literally was giving me such horrible nightmares I didn't even want to fall asleep and literally was sleeping less than 2 hrs a night(I know, I'm such a wimp) but I would have had to have a c section anyway because my baby was breeched and had managed in the last two weeks of my pregnancy to tie her cord in a knot. She was super active in my belly and just as active outside the womb. But because of this I was on a drip with painkillers. I hadn't planned on breast feeding but pumping instead(I'm horribly superficial and vain I know) but I was moved to try breast feeding once she arrived. However, being on pain meds made me oblivious of the pain she was inflicting on my nipples! Holy cow when I came off of them I would literally have to bite a pillow and scream when she would latch.

This story struck a nerve with me though because she mentioned the sixth month mark, and that was my goal. Unfortunately I fell short and stopped at 5 months, due to mastitis in both breasts...I was so pressured to breast feed once started that I was trying to "super pump" to get through the mastitis where basically as soon as she would stop nursing I would hook up to the hospital grade pump and guzzle water and drink mothers tea, eat steel cut oats, take fenugreek - I even drank a dark beer because I heard it could help with lactation and I HATE beer! I learned to sleep while pumping. I didn't even sleep in my own bed for almost 4 months. It reached the point where I was exhausted, could barely even function beyond the point of caring for the baby, and when I realized I was bleeding, couldn't remember the last time I showered, slept in a bed or ate something that wasn't suppose to increase lactation or basically felt like an actual human instead of a psychotic bundle of emotions, I knew I had to stop, even with my goal being so close. It crushed me to be so close and have to quit. All that being said, I will try again with my next, but my baby has done just fine on formula since then, and I think every loving mother makes the choice they think is best for their child.

Sorry for the rant but I just struggled so hard for those five months to breast feed for a long as I did, and I think I would have been able to enjoy that time period with my child more if I didn't feel intense pressure to breast feed or be considered a failure. I think if women felt supported and less stressed about the entire thing, more women would be successful at it, or could at least feel comfortable and confident in whatever decision they made, which makes for a better mommy than one who feels shamed. I find it so ironic that women have this huge stress placed upon them to breast feed when stress itself can reduce milk supply!

Ok...getting off the soapbox...or maybe more appropriately for this thread unlatching from the boob! :)

I wish the supply/demand thing worked for me. I had my son latched onto my breast for what seemed like hours on end. He was never satisfied. Tried fenugreek and any other thing I could to produce more milk. I was never able to pump more than an ounce of milk. Some women just do not produce enough milk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back