Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time they pat you down, generally, is when you set off the alarm. I have a knee replacement and have to go through that every time I fly. They do a pretty good job of it, too. Always very respectful. jmo

About the video: it was discussed in the first threads and that it didn't prove anything. In fact, I don't even think it's from THAT same day.

My opinions only, no facts here:

I want to address a few of the very recent posts:

This has nothing to do with the posters, but everything to do with the info that we are being spoon-fed from various semi-official sources.

The four ELT's on board MH-370 could not all be turned off from the cockpit. I am not sure that even one of them could have been turned off from the cockpit. Further, the ELT's should have nothing to do with ACARS. Turning off ACARS/SATCOM should not affect the ELT's. And even further- the reason there were no ELT signals from the Air France crash is because that plane disintegrated and sank. In order for ELT's to transmit, they must be above the waterline (ELT's have nothing to do with Black Box pingers that transmit sonar signals from underwater). IF MH-370 hard-landed on the Indian Ocean and remained intact, one or more of the four ELT's should have been singing like a canary and transmitting the exact location to satellite. The "Silence of the ELT's" is one of several conundrums regarding the MH-370 mystery.

Malaysian Airlines subscribed to engine-health monitoring via ACARS, with SATCOM provided by Inmarsat. This is why Rolls-Royce in Great Britain received two engine health messages before MH-370 disappeared from transponder radar. In order to disable ACARS, both VHF and SATCOM must be disabled. But if SATCOM was disabled, how could MH-370 continue to handshake with a satellite for hour after hour? Is there some way to manually turn off just the engine health monitoring portion of SATCOM? There had better be, because no engine health messages were sent after the transponder quit working. It almost seems as if (surprise, surprise!) the engines fell silent at about the same time that everything else and everyone aboard fell silent.

We already know the transponder quit working. That hides you from civilian radar. After that, turning off power serves no purpose at all- Military radar can detect any large metal object flying in the air. That is the basic principle of original radar. I do not profess to know why this latest story about shutting down power systems has surfaced; I just want to point out that this supposedly occurred around the same time that the apocryphal handshake occurred between the First Officer's phone and the mainland cell tower.

One final comment- the talking heads are saying generic statements like "well we know this didn't happen and that didn't happen, because the plane flew on for seven hours". How quickly we forget. We have a theory (Inmarsat pings) based upon a never-tried before model that has somehow evolved to become the "foundation fact" that all other theorists must accept, or face ridicule and banishment. This is a logical non sequitur, in that some talking-heads are saying, in effect: "we know that this unproven theory is a fact, so we do not want to hear about YOUR unproven theories"!

:rocker: This is my favorite post of yours thus far :cheers:

Still, to me, the biggest mystery of all this is the transponder being disabled immediately before the transition to Vietnam ATC.

This is one reason I think it could have been taken over by someone else on board... no matter where it ended up!

Yes they could have pushed those buttons and turned those knobs, but there is no proof that any communications were "switched off". There was just as likely a fire and the crew turned back and started running the checklist and succumbed to smoke inhalation.

A plane on fire is crippled,

Still, to me, the biggest mystery of all this is the transponder being disabled immediately before the transition to Vietnam ATC.

The point where communications were lost is the same point where they would be handing off the VN ATC. A new transponder code would likely be assigned when they established contact with VN. No one has said if the primary radar still had them in sight (range) at that point, if not, there would be no transponder return. They also may have switched the transponder off or to another code in the interim.

More than likely fire was eating through cabling at that point,

I happen to agree with you that many of the newspaper headlines, journalist choose to
emphasize the more sensational aspects of the story, in order to sell more newspapers.
However, readers must also be diligent to evaluate the statements made by anonymous sources.

If you think an experienced pilot should be disregarded because he is titled a "talking head",
then what title do you ascribe to the opinions of anonymous Websleuths posters have ?

Unfortunately we are unaware whether the opinions stated here,
come from a place of education & experience ... or elsewhere.

In order to counteract this disadvantage, as I understand it, Websleuths
has a policy that a poster should back up their statements with references.
Such a policy aids other posters in evaluating the veracity of the statements made.

This sounds to me like a very tentative statment ...
Can you please provide a reference that backs up your supposition ?

On the other hand, I DID provide a reference in message #96 here,
where a retired pilot with many years of experience at Malaysia airlines
claimed that in order to function properly, the ELT required ACARS.

Since I am unaware of your personal background, it would be most helpfull
if you could please provide another reference from an experienced individual,
towards clarifing if there is a problem with the claim made by THIS pilot.

I have NOT read anyone state that they think that MH370 hard landed on top of the
Indian Ocean intact & remained floating. So I am confused at to why you bring up this
unlikely possibility ??? Everything I have read says that it sank under the water.

ACARS stands for "Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System".
If you suppose that ELT is not using ACARS, then can you please tell me
which communications system, an ELT uses to broadcast the locater frequency ?

I think you have misunderstood the workings of the Rolls Royce engine health maintenance PLANS.
They offer more than one option. ALL commercial planes have engines monitored automatically through ACARS.
IF & ONLY IF the airlines decides to pay extra for the advanced engine health maintenance plan
THEN Rolls Royce would monitor further ... would that be through SATCOM ???

In message #43 here I provided an MSM reference saying that Malaysian Airlines divulged that they
did NOT pay the required subscription fee for the advanced engine health maintenance plan ...

Can you please provide a reference for this statement ?
I have NEVER read that SATCOM was disabled !
I personally think ACARS & SATCOM are 2 different systems.
The pilot has access to ACARS ... but please enlighten me if a pilot has access to SATCOM.
My reading has indicated that SATCOM is located in a separate computer on top of the plane.

In my opinion, this statement reflects a misunderstanding about which part
of the Inmarsat data is FACT & which part of the Inmarsat data is THEORY.

One can argue about the theoretical location of the plane because that is questionable,
BUT the fact that the handshakes occurred is a reality.

Excluding location, can you please explain EXACTLY what you think is theory
about the satellite communicating with an airborne MH370 at these UTC times below
which were reflected in 2 separate computers (Inmarsat & ground station) ...

2014/03/7 @18:40:56.354 IOR-3730-21000 IOR 305 6 C-Channel RX 0x30 -
Call Progress - Channel Release 90 19:41 - Handshake Request, with response take-off

2014/03/7 @19:41:02.906 IOR-R1200-0-36ED IOR 305 4 R-Channel RX 0x15 -
Log-on/Log-off Acknowledge 111 11500 20:41 - Handshake Request, with response

2014/03/7 @20:41:04.904 IOR-R1200-0-36ED IOR 305 4 R-Channel RX 0x15 -
Log-on/Log-off Acknowledge 141 11740 21.41 - Handshake Request, with response

2014/03/7 @21:41:26.905 IOR-R1200-0-36ED IOR 305 4 R-Channel RX 0x15 -
Log-on/Log-off Acknowledge 168 12780 22:41 - Handshake Request, with response

2014/03/8 @00:10:59.928 IOR-R1200-0-36ED IOR 305 4 R-Channel RX 0x15 -
Log-on/Log-off Acknowledge 252 18040 00:19:29 -
Log-On Request (reported as a Partial Handshake), initiated from the aircraft terminal

2014/03/8 @00:19:29.416 IOR-R600-0-36F8 IOR 305 10 R-Channel RX 0x10 -
Log-on Request (ISU)/Log-on Flight Information (SSU) 182 23000

2014/03/8 @00:19:37.443 IOR-R1200-0-36F6 IOR 305 10 R-Channel RX 0x15 -
Log-on/Log-off Acknowledge -2 49660

This fact means that MH370 was STILL flying at 8am MYT. The only part logical people
can argue about, is the theory about WHERE the plane went down AFTER that time.

Rhyolite has mentioned that Inmarsat theory could be affected by the heat of a fire.
In my personal opinion, heat would alter the location by hundreds of miles,
but not thousands of mile ... however that is debatable.

So in summary, a plane going down at 8am MYT in the Maldives or Andaman Islands
remains a small possibility ... but a plane going down anywhere at 3am MYT
is NOT a possibility given the satellite evidence in existence at 8am MYT.

My opinions only, no facts here:

First, my most recent post that you are citing here was not linked to anyone's prior comments, so obviously I am not questioning any specific sources, including yours. But, I will address your more relevant questions, so you can move forward in this most interesting case.

ELT's do have nothing to do with aircraft-enabled ACARS/SATCOM. An ELT is a stand-alone device with its own battery and its own transmitter. Modern versions transmit to six COSPAS-SARSAT satellites and do not require payment, but registration is required. A Supercub in Alaska or a 12 foot boat on a lake can have an ELT. I myself could purchase and carry an ELT on my person, in case I ever jumped off a tall building! Even an aircraft without ANY power can possess perfectly-working ELT's (e.g. http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2014/03/flight-mh370-emergency.cfm). The ELT, if properly updated to transmit at 406 Mhz and properly designed, signals direct to satellite upon hard impact OR via deliberate activation by the owner. In my personal opinion, the lack of ELT signals for the Air France 447 crash is because the plane smashed into the ocean and sank immediately. An ELT is designed only to work ABOVE the waterline. I am dismayed about how many sites confuse the ELTs with the submarine sonar pingers on the black boxes. They have nothing to do with each other! It is not clear to me if MH-370 had ELT's that transmitted on 406 Mhz (this is important!). One of the interesting possibilities is that the four ELT's on MH-370 were not updated and lacked the ability to transmit at 406 Mhz. This could be the skeleton in the closet. It is up to the officials to clarify this question. If they have already, and I have not seen it, I apologize. Until then, "The Silence of the ELTs" remains a conundrum.

Regarding how MH-370 landed, NO attributable debris has been found on any ocean or beach in the world. I have previously posted on this thread about the significant quantity of buoyant debris from disintegrative ocean crashes such as Air France 447. This suggests to the layperson, if MH 370 had an ocean crash, that the landing did not cause the aircraft to disintegrate. Whether MH-370 landed in the middle of the choppy Indian Ocean in complete darkness or with faint daylight is not important. Of course, it would sink eventually. BUT, if it stayed afloat whole for one minute, the four ELT's aboard should have been singing like canaries to satellites with exact location to a meter. The ELT's possess no bias; they simply do what they are designed to do. And the deficiencies of ELTs have been considerably exaggerated by the talking heads.

ACARS is the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System. It utilizes both VHF and SATCOM (e.g. http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/16/satcom-acars-explained/). When a plane is close to base, it can transmit via VHF to ground stations, which can then be uploaded to Boeing, Rolls Royce, etc. on the internet. When a plane is too far from base for line-of-sight VHF communication, it can use SATCOM to transmit directly. An airline can subscribe to full-health monitoring OR they can subscribe to engine-health monitoring only (as with MH-370, check my previous url link above). Even if Malaysian Airlines did not subscribe to real-time full aircraft monitoring with Boeing, remember that two engine-health messages WERE sent to Rolls-Royce in Great Britain (http://www.newscientist.com/article...ne-sent-out-engine-data-before-vanishing.html), shortly before MH-370 disappeared from transponder radar. Malaysia Airlines MUST have been subscribed to SOME service. I assume that these messages to Rolls-Royce were not free? If they were free, I am interested in transferring my cell phone service to those guys.

One theory is that someone in the cockpit disabled VHF, SATCOM, and the radar transponder. Easy-peasy, right? Wrong. If SATCOM was shut down, how did the plane continue to be able to handshake with a satellite every hour? In principle, SATCOM is either completely disabled or completely enabled. And do not forget, some talking heads disagree whether it is even possible to shut down VHF and SATCOM from the cockpit. Is there some way to manually turn off just the engine health monitoring portion of SATCOM, yet allow the plane to still freely handshake with satellites? There darn well better be, because no engine health messages were sent to Rolls-Royce in Great Britain from MH-370 after the transponder quit working. Very odd, don't you think?

Now I will address the last portion of your post, where you provide the timing of the Inmarsat pings. Let us pretend that the terrorist masterminds figured out how to turn off SATCOM on MH-370, but failed to recognize that it was not really turned off and still working perfectly for Inmarsat handshakes (but the Rolls-Royce engines were somehow selectively silenced?). The Inmarsat pings are fairly-hard evidence (but watch out for spoofs!) and could be reasonably considered fact by some scientists, leading to a hypothesis/theory. I do not dispute this. Regarding any interpretation of where the pings originated from- these plane-to-satellite handshakes DO NOT yield latitude-longitude coordinates. These pings have nothing to do with GPS. The error range (limited by complete guesses as to the hourly velocity of MH-370, doppler frequency effects, etc.) is huge. But this is not a condemnation of any theorists. It just means that IF MH 370, as predicted, sank in the southern Indian Ocean, it could take years or longer to find it, because of the very large error range.

Since we may have years, or maybe even decades to wait for a solution in the southern Indian Ocean, I would like to see two guys in a row-boat towing a hundred-dollar underwater camera in the Gulf of Thailand, directly under where MH 370 disappeared and northward where the slicks and flotsam were found. The Gulf of Thailand is a VERY SHALLOW sea. It is not necessarily the entire plane that you are looking for here- rather some single submerged piece of relevant evidence. If this fails, these two guys could drag their row-boat across the peninsula to the easternmost Strait of Malacca and continue their search there.

Thanks for the fun and interesting questions 2Rose! I hope that I have helped you in some small way regarding them.

Sleuth On!

A plan to raise millions of dollars as a reward for information in regards to the whereabouts of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has not gone to plan, with less than two per cent of the target raised so far.

Ms Bajc said although an initial survey of how people felt about such a campaign received lots of support, people did not follow through with action when the campaign started.

“I frankly do not understand it,” she said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...s-hoped-for-20140701-zsqlv.html#ixzz36P49VBVT

The point where communications were lost is the same point where they would be handing off the VN ATC. A new transponder code would likely be assigned when they established contact with VN. No one has said if the primary radar still had them in sight (range) at that point, if not, there would be no transponder return. They also may have switched the transponder off or to another code in the interim.

More than likely fire was eating through cabling at that point,

IIRC, the plane dropped off primary radar as well.
The only radar it showed up on was military.

IIRC, the plane dropped off primary radar as well.
The only radar it showed up on was military.

relaxing after a very long shift so excuse me if I am wrong...but..as far as I understand
The Military uses Primary Radar Surveillance
Civil Aviation Air traffic control uses Secondary Radar Surveillance

relaxing after a very long shift so excuse me if I am wrong...but..as far as I understand
The Military uses Primary Radar Surveillance
Civil Aviation Air traffic control uses Secondary Radar Surveillance

No ILPierre has it right ... Primary radar is the simplest type which detects
reflected radio signals to measure the position & bearing of aircraft.

Military identification friend or foe (IFF) technology is the basis
for Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) which uses a transponder
to query for more information such as identity & altitude.

Thank You

I been thinking this over & maybe you are both right ... here is some more clarification :)
What I said before is still correct, but also ...

Commercial airports use secondary radar with transponder identification.
The military uses both primary AND secondary radar.

Since MH370's transponder was no longer functioning,
the military was using it's PRIMARY radar system
when it detected an "unknown flying object" (a plane)
... which has since been labelled as MH370.

I suppose a lot of potential donors were turned off by the media hysteria and the Malaysian Govt ineptitude.

Yes. I also think that the plan may be thought to be a bit flawed .. although the intentions are good.

$2,000,000 for an informant. What if there is no genuine informant, just a bunch of cranks trying to get their hands on a lot of money? How does a person determine who is a crank and who is not?

And $3,000,000 for a search. Where are they planning to search? Somewhere that a (possibly crank) informant told them to search?

The people who have the ability to sift the info to determine if it is genuine or not have already been in the picture … the FBI, the transportation bureaus, military, presumably any intel sources have already been checked.

Yes. I also think that the plan may be thought to be a bit flawed .. although the intentions are good.

$2,000,000 for an informant. What if there is no genuine informant, just a bunch of cranks trying to get their hands on a lot of money? How does a person determine who is a crank and who is not?

And $3,000,000 for a search. Where are they planning to search? Somewhere that a (possibly crank) informant told them to search?

The people who have the ability to sift the info to determine if it is genuine or not have already been in the picture … the FBI, the transportation bureaus, military, presumably any intel sources have already been checked.

Obviously, I don't have any inside info on this, but my supposition was that
they were hoping that someone like a Malaysian government or military offical
would break ranks & divulge info about a ANY kind of a coverup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74