Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN just reported that the US reported that to turn the plane Westbound, either the pilot or co-pilot punched 7-8 keystrokes into a keyboard situated between the pilot and co-pilot!!! This was deliberate.

That is not entirely correct...

The aircraft can be steered from what is called the "Mode Select Panel" - which is part of the autopilot.

(Attached Pic)

By simply turning these knobs to the desired setting the aircraft will do what you want it to do, automatically.

A: IAS (Indicated Air Speed) - Setting this to a set speed will make the aircraft maintain this air speed. Nose the plane down, or climb the plane up, the aircraft will automatically set the throttle in order to maintain this speed.

B: Heading (direction) - Think of this like a 360 degree compass... well.. that's exactly what it is. Set the heading (compass heading) and the plane will turn to fly in that direction and hold that heading. So, all it would have taken to turn the plane west here would be a simple turn of the knob a few to the left and the plane would have tracked west. As you will notice in the video links below, the pilots "Steering wheel" does not even move or turn during this... its a seperate system. In fact, this is how large commercial airline type aircraft are mostly flown. *Shock Horror!* "You mean they don't use the Yoke to steer the plane?" - Well, they do, but far less than you would think... far far less!

The whole thing is pretty much done by twisting these three knobs!

C: ALT (Altitude) - Controls the planes height setting... self explanatory really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjUq3MvBa-E - Using the autopilot Mode Control Panel Boeing 777-300ER

Attachments

• 77-777cockpitedit.jpg
    77-777cockpitedit.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 15
In the past few days I've looked up aircraft crashes, nuclear weaponry, deaths caused by panic, and when not doing so have been writing a long story about a pedophile and playing sword and sorcery games. I hope if I vanish this will not be taken badly.

edit: I'd suspect Chinese extremists before two Iranians, simply because so many people on the flight were Chinese.

1) What strategies could he practice that he wouldn't already know how to do as a pilot? Is there anything specific that people can think of?

2) While you could argue that some people are inspired by violent video games, I'd hardly say anyone uses them for practice. Such games do not seem very realistic in terms of firing a gun, and usually take place in war zones or in street battles dissimilar to a school environment.

Yup - I've always had an interest in researching drugs and murders, but I've never even gotten an intense argument with someone, and I didn't drink alcohol until age 21. Never done illegal drugs or taken more meds than prescribed. I'm clean as a whistle in my life, but my online history could be used quite badly. One of the young men from Mass. held on terrorism charges at Guantanamo was convicted because he translated some documents into English for jihadist-affiliated people. A huge focus at trial was the fact that he had images of Bin Laden and pro-jihadist images on his computer - not like saved, but in his internet cache. Now try and imagine everything you have in your internet cache, but the public is stupid about that stuff. You have no idea what's in there. I know mine has the JonBenet Ramsey autopsy photos and plenty of other disturbing crime-related images. That doesn't mean I saved them to look at because I enjoy them - and there are people who do save them to keep track of them, but not for any creepy purpose. But it doesn't matter.

bbm

I wonder with all of his years of flying experience there were still airports where he had not flown but ''wanted'' to do so. For example, he may have been on that Beijing route so often it was 'boring' etc. Perhaps, it was his desire to land someplace else one day and he practiced 'virtuallly' (i.e. Seychelles or Maldives) just for R & R as a hobby.

Of course for the purposes of stealing a plane I guess he could be ''sussing'' out the targeted airport or landmark.

I hope they find out that a lot of his recent actitivity as involving flying a seaplane and landing in Alaska! - why not bet he had not done that!

I think a major problem with this case is there is just too much pertinent information that has not been validated. Malaysia is too busy covering up the inadequacies of their systems related to security and air travel.

Key word is may. I haven't heard anything more that has attributed this crash to a language barrier.

That particular crash was really upsetting because i think if I remember it right a girl who survived the initial crash got ran over by an emergency vehcile on the tarmac.

How incredibly unfortunate to have survived a plane crash only to be run over.

Mary Schiavo just said that all of the 9/11 terrorists passed through airport security- they had boxcutters!!!

OT: Anytime I search for anything on Google these days, the first link is something to do with MH370!

Mary Schiavo just said that all of the 9/11 terrorists passed through airport security- they had boxcutters!!!

Boxcutters (and other sharp objects) were allowed on plane's pre 9/11. You can't even bring nail clippers on board anymore!

I also read/saw today somewhere that the Malaysian ATC was supposed to notify Vietnam's ATC that the plane would be transferring to their airspace shortly. Do we know if this happened? Otherwise, they are at fault too, or in on it...

BBM~ No, we don't. Because apparently Vietnam ATC could not reach MH370 and asked another pilot to contact MH370. There is no clear evidence of what or lack of exchange occurred.

Re: Computer programmed

This does not, to me, send alarm bells off that the pilots were involved.

Whoever hijacked this plane, at least whoever was involved in the cockpit side of it, obviously had piloting/aviation skills.

This was all planned out.

Whoever did this, had a plan.

It was not done willy-nilly, ok let's just turn here and there.

It was all planned out, planned in GREAT detail.

The hijackers obviously knew how to program the flight computer. They knew how to turn trasponder off. They knew how to turn ACARS off. They knew how to fly the plane. And possibly, how to land the plane.

Planning, planning, planning.

So just b/c they programmed something in (according to plan), does not mean that the pilots are necessarily involved.

JMO.

BBM ~ Correct. But let's look at it this way.

If a big cruise liner ship goes missing in the ocean, who would be the first to look at? The Captain, imo. So until then, he cannot be ruled out.

I don't think he is, but until we have proof, I cannot rule out this possibility.

NewsBreaker ‏@NewsBreaker 33m

.@CNBCWorld: China's state media says no evidence of hijack, terror attack on missing #MH370 by Chinese passengers, Reuters reports

And before 9/11 I can walk into any building in NYC accept the stock exchange without ID. Today I have to flash ID at the concierge of most buildings, and in some they will take my photo in the lobby and scan me in.
Pre- 9/11 and Post 9/11 are different worlds.

Thanks for the link - confirmed my gut reaction about the simulator....it was his pride & joy to be able to fly and he shared his passion in a positive way. I have been shown an amateur simulator and the program that was being used meant you could even change the type of plane you were flying and chose a different airport. It was neat.....I am so sad for the captain's family that he is being regarded as suspect. It must be painful.

They also know how to create a different profile for themselves so they can’t be tracked, or draw attention to others.
They have learned in all these years that we do find out. Some want the credit, others want the anonymity.

I did not trust him the minute I read about him, nor did I trust either of them.
The other 2 with fake passports can be part of the plan too.
I don’t thrust the person who scheduled the pilots either. They did not ask to fly together. There are others in this mess.

Sadly its innocent lives we do care about. And If I was in charge of any airline. The last person to fly one would be anyone of their faith. SORRY I KNOW I SOUND BAD.
Better safe then sorry!
I really don't think it's fair to tar all Muslims with the "extremist" or "terrorist" label. And was Shah even a Muslim? I haven't read that. I HAVE read that the co-pilot was, but that does not mean he was an extremist. I know peaceful Muslim people who are genuinely nice, friendly, socially conscious and not at all extremist.

Also, I didn't figure out these things about Shah from any "profiles" he created - just from news articles about him, and the statements of people who knew him.

But I read that the political party he supported was pro-democracy, in addition to being an "official" opposition party to the party in power. It wasn't a brutal dictator he was supporting, or anything like that! Nor is it a Muslim extremist party. In fact, I'd say the ruling party in Malaysia is WAY more extremist, considering they just had Ibrahim jailed for 5 years for being homosexual! If politics figured in at all, it may be that Captain Shah was depressed or saddened by Ibrahim's verdict, and/or his wife and children leaving the house and decided on suicide (although I think that's a long shot). But I'm getting kind of sick of people referring to Shah as a "political extremist." Politically involved, sure, but many of us are!

BBM ~ I do believe Captain Shah's political views have anything to do with this.

This is grander than that. I do not believe CS' intentions were to "expose" and "ruin" the gov't. Sheesh look at Ukraine. :facepalm: It's already happening.

And before 9/11 I can walk into any building in NYC accept the stock exchange without ID. Today I have to flash ID at the concierge of most buildings, and in some they will take my photo in the lobby and scan me in.
Pre- 9/11 and Post 9/11 are different worlds.
The point is that with probably the exception of Israel, and now the US, many countries have lax ( I mean lax, not LAX) airport security. My father who has worked in the industries of metal detectors and radar, told me many years ago not to fly to Greece for that reason!

Thanks for the link - confirmed my gut reaction about the simulator....it was his pride & joy to be able to fly and he shared his passion in a positive way. I have been shown an amateur simulator and the program that was being used meant you could even change the type of plane you were flying and chose a different airport. It was neat.....I am so sad for the captain's family that he is being regarded as suspect. It must be painful.
I agree - at first I was a little suspicious about it, since didn't the 9/11 terrorists train in simulators? But from more reading, it seems like he just liked to share his love of flying with others. He also flew model planes - pretty obsessed with aircraft, as many/most pilots are!

bbm

I wonder with all of his years of flying experience there were still airports where he had not flown but ''wanted'' to do so. For example, he may have been on that Beijing route so often it was 'boring' etc. Perhaps, it was his desire to land someplace else one day and he practiced 'virtuallly' (i.e. Seychelles or Maldives) just for R & R as a hobby.

Of course for the purposes of stealing a plane I guess he could be ''sussing'' out the targeted airport or landmark.

On CNN they had a real flight simulator and were showing the viewing audience how certain manuevers will make the alarms go off in the cabin and according to the guy talking even start to break up the plane. They did some crazy maneuvers and sure enough alarms started going off.

He possibly could have been testing the limits of how high the plane could go before alarms and things would go off.

Something about this story of the plane may have gone up to an extreme altitude has been bugging me as being tied to this event. Some have thought the extreme altitude may have been to disable all the passengers and i think that is plausible theory.

I really don't think it's fair to tar all Muslims with the "extremist" or "terrorist" label. And was Shah even a Muslim? I haven't read that. I HAVE read that the co-pilot was, but that does not mean he was an extremist. I know peaceful Muslim people who are genuinely nice, friendly, socially conscious and not at all extremist.

Also, I didn't figure out these things about Shah from any "profiles" he created - just from news articles about him, and the statements of people who knew him.

BBM.
Good point. My mom's landlords are Muslim, and they are not at extremists at all. Just because someone is Muslim, doesn't mean they're terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whirlebird