Mark O'Mara's/Defense's Media And Social Network Presence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good thing if the Florida Bar has plans to discuss the ethical use of social media.

But at first glance, why is using FB different from appearing on television?

Too much TV exposure may be a bad thing too sometimes.

The comments may be a problematic aspect on FB. If you set up a page where people can comment without moderation the people may post something that is not true or is otherwise offensive or beyond the pale and since it's your page it might be interpreted that you endorse the comments. Too much moderation could be bad for the fairness if it skews the discussion in a particular direction and bad for the client if it tips your hand prematurely.

How is it "clearly" crossing a line except that social media is a new area?

One might well argue that an ethical defense attorney has an obligation to keep up with the times. As Websleuths demonstrates, it's not as if the case isn't already being discussed on the internet.

Oh heck because the article that was posted said so........but then again, you know I have some deep, dark, hinky reason for my blind hatred of defense attorneys....so, just ignore me. :floorlaugh:

Always follow the money. Somebody has to have some deep pockets to be funding this media relations campaign. It will be interesting to find out where this leads to.

It is very different. FB is far reaching compared to TV and engages the reader in a dialogue; it is interactive. Far reaching in that 'likes' further propel the dissemination of the site, as do the 'friends' connections; it's meant to go viral. And it's also a convenient spot to test the waters, experiment, and keep one's finger on the pulse of opinion, and then steer it in any direction necessary. One can also manipulate the numbers and delete the voices of the dissenters. It lulls people into believing they have a voice and influence. In this case it is also meant to be fodder for social engineering, the gathering of information; a site purportedly about law, and justice and truth, is not intended to serve the country or the people or serve justice. It is self-serving.

It could also be dangerous, because what if someone comes across your opinions and doesn't like what you've written? This is a volatile subject. Many people have a lot of their info on FB. They could in effect track you down and do real harm. Not to mention that FB has sold info to third parties in the past.

Perhaps you can flesh out why it is not any different from TV?

BBM: You must live in England. In the United States we have hundreds of channels. NOTHING is more far-reaching than TV.

But I do use Facebook and didn't really need the lecture on how it works. Yes, every new technology has its own features, but long before FB "likes" were broadcast, people called their neighbors on the phone to say, "Turn on, Nancy Grace! She's talking about the Zimmerman case." If you look around here, you'll find posters spreading the word whenever their favorite case is discussed on TV.

Yes, FB is more conveniently interactive than much TV, but that's not to say TV viewers haven't always had ways (phone calls, mail) of interacting with their favorite programs. Some programs (see, again, Nancy Grace) quite encourage viewers to call in and express opinions.

Yes, FB and Twitter may provide prosecutors AND defense counsels with ways to know what potential jurors are thinking. So this is a new facet in the life of a jury consultant. But researching the jury pool has never been against the law or against the canon of judicial ethics. So I don't believe this issue will even be discussed by the Bar.

I said above that I'm glad the Florida Bar is taking up the issue of legal ethics and social media; obviously, the canon of ethics should be revisited as technology changes.

But I was responding to posts that insisted it was OBVIOUS O'Mara has "crossed the line" by using Facebook and Twitter. And so I ask: obvious to whom and in what way? To my eye, he's simply using the resources made available by the modern world.

And let's remember that both sides will be able to ask potential jurors about their use of social media regarding the case during voir dire.

See it's stuf like this I don't understand. MOM is clearly about to cross a line. How can one be so ethical yet, be close to crossing "ethical lines set by the Florida Bar"?

Defense attorneys go on television all the time talking about their cases - Tacopina and Jose Baez come quickly to mind. The only difference, IMO, is feedback.

How does "keeping up with the times" have anything to do with ethics?

A lawyer who pays no attention to television, radio and, yes, even internet coverage of his client's case is guilty of serious malpractice, imo.

Too much TV exposure may be a bad thing too sometimes.

The comments may be a problematic aspect on FB. If you set up a page where people can comment without moderation the people may post something that is not true or is otherwise offensive or beyond the pale and since it's your page it might be interpreted that you endorse the comments. Too much moderation could be bad for the fairness if it skews the discussion in a particular direction and bad for the client if it tips your hand prematurely.

These are all great points, Donjeta, and something to be considered by the attorney. But s/he should also consider the effect of appearing on Nancy Grace and the phone calls the appearance may inspire.

Always follow the money. Somebody has to have some deep pockets to be funding this media relations campaign. It will be interesting to find out where this leads to.

FB & Twitter cost nothing.

FB & Twitter cost nothing.
But, it takes money to have someone monitor these Facebook/Twitter pages. Someone must be getting paid to do that job. After they launched the new Facebook page for GZ, it got really ugly. Tons of posts..someone is getting paid or is working for free. :waitasec:

You couldn't pay me enough $$ to read all that "stuff" :floorlaugh:

A lawyer who pays no attention to television, radio and, yes, even internet coverage of his client's case is guilty of serious malpractice, imo.

What has that to do with ethics though?

BBM: You must live in England. In the United States we have hundreds of channels. NOTHING is more far-reaching than TV.

But I do use Facebook and didn't really need the lecture on how it works. Yes, every new technology has its own features, but long before FB "likes" were broadcast, people called their neighbors on the phone to say, "Turn on, Nancy Grace! She's talking about the Zimmerman case." If you look around here, you'll find posters spreading the word whenever their favorite case is discussed on TV.

Yes, FB is more conveniently interactive than much TV, but that's not to say TV viewers haven't always had ways (phone calls, mail) of interacting with their favorite programs. Some programs (see, again, Nancy Grace) quite encourage viewers to call in and express opinions.

Yes, FB and Twitter may provide prosecutors AND defense counsels with ways to know what potential jurors are thinking. So this is a new facet in the life of a jury consultant. But researching the jury pool has never been against the law or against the canon of judicial ethics. So I don't believe this issue will even be discussed by the Bar.

I said above that I'm glad the Florida Bar is taking up the issue of legal ethics and social media; obviously, the canon of ethics should be revisited as technology changes.

But I was responding to posts that insisted it was OBVIOUS O'Mara has "crossed the line" by using Facebook and Twitter. And so I ask: obvious to whom and in what way? To my eye, he's simply using the resources made available by the modern world.

And let's remember that both sides will be able to ask potential jurors about their use of social media regarding the case during voir dire.

I have offended you! I was pointing out the effect of how FB works. I guess I failed. Fact is, I stay away from FB and twitter and know only rudimentary stuff about them. The point I was making is that FB has the potential that TV does not have- to go viral. The viral stuff then ends up on TV, I have seen it.

There's a line between pragmatism and ethics and the concepts are not interchangeable.

"Researching the jury pool"? How about influencing the jury pool?

FB is immediately interactive unlike TV. Most people are too lazy to do snail mail, even email, if they can voice their opinions in real time.

As for asking potential jurors during voir dire regarding the case and their use of social media, that is the point I'm making- an exclusive FB site from the defence encourages people to interact, thereby reducing the jury pool. It goes viral, something TV cannot do. It is far reaching in a way that TV can never be.

You seem to accept the jury consultant as a fact of life. Who says?

I live in Canada, no slouch in the gazillion channel department. The internet is way more far reaching than TV could ever be, in multi-faceted ways and so is FB. People don't even need to watch TV when there is YouTube, and online video streaming. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

And finally, no it's not against the law to research the jury pool. But it may contravene judicial ethics if the site is used to manipulate and taint the jury pool.

But, it takes money to have someone monitor these Facebook/Twitter pages. Someone must be getting paid to do that job. After they launched the new Facebook page for GZ, it got really ugly. Tons of posts..someone is getting paid or is working for free. :waitasec:

You couldn't pay me enough $$ to read all that "stuff" :floorlaugh:

You make a really good point. MOM has already stated on the FB page that they have hired a nameless ex IRS agent to monitor donations. Of course they have hired a social media consultant who is working for big bucks! IMO. Who could believe otherwise?

Oh heck because the article that was posted said so........but then again, you know I have some deep, dark, hinky reason for my blind hatred of defense attorneys....so, just ignore me. :floorlaugh:

You make me smile, a lot! Thanks!

I'll give it up for them being groundbreaking. Not sure that this is a good thing, but it is interesting.

I'll give it up for them being groundbreaking. Not sure that this is a good thing, but it is interesting.

I certainly don't disagree that it needs to be addressed. Very canny, too, that challenge. Still self-serving, IMO, and that's why it needs to be addressed.

I certainly don't disagree that it needs to be addressed. Very canny, too, that challenge. Still self-serving, IMO, and that's why it needs to be addressed.

Kind of like having an 800 pound baby to contend with.

Just about anyone who runs a business and doesn't hire or consult smarty-pants social media folks to help them negotiate their social media presence risks being out of touch and off trend with the most important marketing trends of this new century.

That goes for attorneys and nursing homes and all inbetween.

Sad but true, IMO.

Just about anyone who runs a business and doesn't hire or consult smarty-pants social media folks to help them negotiate their social media presence risks being out of touch and off trend with the most important marketing trends of this new century.

That goes for attorneys and nursing homes and all inbetween.

Sad but true, IMO.

You know what would work well for the halls of justice? "No comment".

-- 'case discussion'----Question to their followers today:

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeZimmermanLegalCase
The official page on Facebook for information about the George Zimmerman Legal Case, administered by the Mark O'Mara Law Group.

George Zimmerman Legal Case
about an hour ago.

"We would like to know what other forums regarding this case you are contributing to. Please provide links."

--how does that fall under the category of case discussion/case information?

-- 'case discussion'----Question to their followers today:

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeZimmermanLegalCase
The official page on Facebook for information about the George Zimmerman Legal Case, administered by the Mark O'Mara Law Group.

George Zimmerman Legal Case
about an hour ago.

"We would like to know what other forums regarding this case you are contributing to. Please provide links."

--how does that fall under the category of case discussion/case information?

What an unsettling question the page asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500