Mary Kennedy 52 found dead Estranged from Robert F Kennedy

The Court system should have intervened and referred the Kennedy’s to a family therapist after the domestic abuse incidents at the Bedford Estate began to pile up.

After the second or third call to LE for help presumably made by Mary, the Court needed to intervene.

Court-ordered Family counseling sessions would have benefited the couple the most imo because Robert would have to attend. jmo

Respectfully, may I ask what are you basing this opinion on? "Mary Kennedy had been sober for the last five months." sounds more like a statement of fact than opinion. Are you quoting from another source? Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing especially since she was arrested twice in recent months and was not sober.

I have not posted on this thread but I have been reading on this story from the start.

I feel very sorry for her, now her children....
It could not have been easy to love a man so much, also stand by him during his recovery, and watch him walk off with another woman.
It also could not have been easy for him to have her drinking after his recover.

But It is not all about drinking/drugging.... ALWAYS under the drugs there are underlined issues.

Sad story, sad ending... :(:(:(

The Court system should have intervened and referred the Kennedy’s to a family therapist after the domestic abuse incidents at the Bedford Estate began to pile up.

After the second or third call to LE for help presumably made by Mary, the Court needed to intervene.

Court-ordered Family counseling sessions would have benefited the couple the most imo because Robert would have to attend. jmo

BBM
While that sounds, in a perfect world, like the best remedies, it is not the reality. Did Mary use the court system to obtain remedy? If LE goes to the house and it is determined there has been an assault or a battery then the one who has committed the violent act is arrested. If, as per The Minneapolis Expirement, one of the people involved is removed from the home, it is a cooling off period. I have seen women who have claimed they were battered/assaulted but then, do not show up in court to pursue the matter and it is dropped. If there is no victim to state the complaint in court the case is dropped. It is one thing to excoriate someone because of the last name, it is another to work within the framework of the jurisdiction. To not do so would culminate in a suit against the jurisdiction.

As per New York State's Family Protection and Domestic Violence Intervention Act of 1994:

When the police arrive, tell them:

•what happened, in your own words;
•where the abuser is, if you know;
•if weapons were involved and if so, where they are;
•if you have children and where they are;
•if you have any injuries; and
•if any pets were harmed.

Under What Conditions Will the Police Make an Arrest?

•A felony has been committed by one "member of the same family or household" against another.
•There has been a violation of a stay-away provision of an order of protection.
•A "family offense" has been committed in violation of an order of protection. (There are certain crimes that are called family offenses if the people involved are considered "members of the same family or household.")
•A misdemeanor family offense has been committed. (The police do not have to make an arrest in this situation if you say that you do not want an arrest made, but they are not supposed to ask you if you want an arrest made. Be aware that they can go against your wishes and make the arrest anyway in this situation.)

http://www.opdv.state.ny.us/help/fss/policecourts.html

Even with state laws modeled after The Minneapolis Experiment [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Domestic_Violence_Experiment] if the 'victim' doesn't pursue it, the courts don't intervene.

New York State’s Domestic Violence Prevention Act creates a comprehensive network of services for victims of domestic violence. The Act requires social services districts to offer emergency shelter and other services, including advocacy, counseling and referrals. The Act requires shelters that receive funding under its provisions must to maintain a confidential address and also mandates that other government agencies keep such addresses confidential.

New York State’s law on warrantless arrest permits localities to establish mandatory arrest regulations or policies. The state’s law on criminal procedures for family offenses directs officers investigating “a family offense” under that provision to “advise the victim of the availability of a shelter or other services in the community” and to “immediately give the victim written notice of the legal rights and remedies available to a victim of a family offense.” This law provides an example of the kind of information an officer might give to a victim, and mandates that the notice be prepared in multiple languages if necessary.

New York State also passed a law creating an Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence. The Office is charged with advising the governor and legislature “on the most effective ways for state government to respond to the problem of domestic violence” and to “develop and implement policies and programs designed to assist victims of domestic violence and their families, and to provide education and prevention, training and technical assistance.”

http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/svaw/domestic/laws/samplelaws.htm

Bill language of law:

This note proposes that New York implement a mandatory arrest policy for certain types of
domestic violence.

New York State, however, lacks a specific statutory provision to
guide law enforcement officials' response to domestic violence.'

The victimized household member
has the choice of forum," and arrest is not a prerequisite to proceeding in either court.5 9 Once the victim selects a forum, however,
she is barred from proceeding in the alternate forum by either a
finding on the merits of the petition or complaint, or a lapse of
seventy-two hours following filing of the petition or criminal instrument.

In 1982, the Minneapolis Police Department,
in cooperation with the Police Foundation, conducted a "classic"
experiment. 103 The experiment was designed to test which police
response-advice, separation or arrest'4-most effectively deterred
abusers from repeating violence. 105 The experiment was conducted
over a one year period '06 in two Minneapolis precincts with the
highest density of reported domestic violence. 107 Based on followup
data supplied by the police and victims, 108 the researchers concluded
that of the three possible responses, arrest was the most
effective in preventing future acts of domestic violence.'

In practice, police generally use one of three approaches when
responding to domestic violence calls. They may: mediate; recommend that the victim exercise her civil remedies; or, as a last
resort, arrest the batterer.'

Moreover, the policy of discretionary arrest in
New York, where "[a] major systemic problem has been inadequate
police responses to domestic violence calls,"' leads, more often
than not, to no arrest.

Domestic violence legislation generally fits into one of three categories:
provisions for non-legal remedies, such as shelters; improved
court procedures; and expanded authority for police.

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/vi... applicable domestic violence new york state"

http://www.nyscadv.org/

Respectfully, may I ask what are you basing this opinion on? "Mary Kennedy had been sober for the last five months." sounds more like a statement of fact than opinion. Are you quoting from another source? Thanks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1vEukva8d

Sister-in-law Kerry Kennedy said Mary - a lifelong friend -* had been sober for five months, but was still battling depression.*
'She fought with every ounce of her mission to overcome that horrible disease,' she told The New York Times.*'It was not something that she asked for, it was something that she was dealt.

I was wondering the same thing especially since she was arrested twice in recent months and was not sober.

I have not posted on this thread but I have been reading on this story from the start.

I feel very sorry for her, now her children....
It could not have been easy to love a man so much, also stand by him during his recovery, and watch him walk off with another woman.
It also could not have been easy for him to have her drinking after his recover.

But It is not all about drinking/drugging.... ALWAYS under the drugs there are underlined issues.

Sad story, sad ending... :(:(:(

:welcome:

Emily’s father died when she was 2 years old, Robert’s was 14 when his father was assassinated, and Mary Richardson was 14 when her father a college professor died.

This media report says after Mary Kennedy’s first DWI charge was reduced to a violation, her license was suspended for 90 days, and she was ordered to undergo alcohol treatment; while another media report said Mary Kennedy was sentenced to 90 days of psychiatric care so it is difficult to know exactly what transpired.

Mary’s second DUI charge was dismissed after she explained to the Judge that she didn’t know the prescription drugs she was taking would impair her ability to drive so she was apparently receiving some medical care. Perhaps her family doctor prescribed them. If the police officer smelled liquor the second time she was stopped, I think he would have given her a breathalyzer test so it is questionable whether she continued to drink alcohol and drive after thie first incident.

It is difficult for me to accept that Mary had a serious drinking problem because she accomplished so much during her lifetime. When she was exhausted, she cancelled appointments so she could take care of herself and for that she was criticized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/n...led-with-depression.html?_r=1&pagewanted=alle

<snipped>
In 2010, Ms. Kennedy was arrested twice, once on a charge of driving while intoxicated, and later on a charge of driving under the influence of prescription medication. The first charge was reduced to a violation. Ms. Kennedy was ordered to undergo alcohol treatment, and her license was suspended for 90 days. The prescription drug charges were dismissed.

The article further states that &#8220;Mr. Kennedy was concerned about his wife&#8217;s mental state after she was arrested for drunken-driving so he drove her to a hospital to see a psychologist in 2007&#8221; but Mary wasn&#8217;t arrested until 2010 so this doesn&#8217;t make much sense.

<snipped>

The Journal News, a Westchester newspaper, reported after the drunken-drinking arrest that Mr. Kennedy, concerned about his wife&#8217;s mental state, had tried to drive her to Northern Westchester Hospital to see a psychologist in 2007, but that she resisted and ran from the car into the road.

It further states that in 2010, Mr. Kennedy filed for divorce, and he said that he and his wife had been living separately for almost four years.

Kerry Kennedy said Mary, who participated in Alcoholics Anonymous, had been sober for five months. But that was not her only battle. Mary Kennedy also suffered from depression, people close to her said, and had talked of suicide in the past. Did Mary have an AA sponsor?

Mary Kennedy despite her problems, continued to do extraordinary work for causes like the environmental group Riverkeeper, of which Robert is vice chairman, and the Food Allergy Initiative (their oldest child, Conor, has severe allergies).

Peter T. Michaelis, who knew her and others in the family in high school, overlapped with her for a year at Brown and was a neighbor and friend, took photographs documenting the green redesign of her home in Bedford.
He said he saw her a week ago, at a party for a friend&#8217;s 50th birthday, and photographed her, smiling. &#8220;This whole thing comes as a total shock to me and to anyone who knows her,&#8221; he said.

After college, Mary worked for Warhol and as a white-water rafting guide for an outdoors company owned by another Kennedy sibling, Michael Kennedy, who died in a 1997 skiing accident; she also worked as an architectural designer.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about the Kennedys, let alone Mary and RFK Jr. However, I don't know how anyone here can know what was going on behind the scenes. (Not referring to anyone specific, just a high level question.) Even Mary's friend who saw her smiling, couldn't have known.

Addictions and/or mental health issues are quite often hidden. As well, we can't possibly know what went on between Mary and RFK Jr., in their personal life.

How can we here take 'sides'? Life isn't that simple.

JMO, of course (and with very little insight into this particular family).

My deepest sympathy to Mary's children and all of her loved ones. I wish she had time to accomplish more. I wish she hadn't been so tormented. It couldn't have been easy marrying into the Kennedy clan. A less public life is tough enough.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about the Kennedys, let alone Mary and RFK Jr. However, I don't know how anyone here can know what was going on behind the scenes. (Not referring to anyone specific, just a high level question.) Even Mary's friend who saw her smiling, couldn't have known.

Addictions and/or mental health issues are quite often hidden. As well, we can't possibly know what went on between Mary and RFK Jr., in their personal life.

How can we here take 'sides'? Life isn't that simple.

JMO, of course (and with very little insight into this particular family).

My deepest sympathy to Mary's children and all of her loved ones. I wish she had time to accomplish more. I wish she hadn't been so tormented. It couldn't have been easy marrying into the Kennedy clan. A less public life is tough enough.

It is entirely possible Mary thought she had accomplished all she set out to do in this lifetime and she was ready to die. She told others she wanted to die and apparently her housekeeper purchased the rope for her so she planned her death in advance.

Police made several visits to the Bedford estate in recent years according to police incident reports and in May 2010 they made 2 more before Mary was arrested on the 15th of May for DWI so LE and members of the community were well aware that something was going on behind the scenes but I suppose the reason LE never made an arrest is because they saw never saw any visible signs of physical abuse. If Mary physically assaulted Robert, LE would press charges against her right?

"Her problems became awkward for those around her, said one person who knows the family well but declined to be named because she did not want to upset them. The person said Ms. Kennedy&#8217;s family often had to cancel events or appointments on short notice, saying by way of explanation, &#8220;Mary is sick.&#8221;

The day after Mary's death, Robert said he and his wife had been living separately for almost four years, (after the home renovations were finished), so if that's the case, he must have been visiting in May when LE went to the Bedford Estate. Mr. Kennedy, who has recently been dating the actress Cheryl Hines, lives in a home a few hundred yards from hers he said.

On May 10, Mary called 911 so maybe Robert initiated some of the 911 calls.

Another report stated Robert gained temporary custody of the couple's 4 children when Mary entered Rehab.

<snipped>

On May 10, two days before Robert filed for divorce, Mary Kennedy called 911herself. Officers responding to the house reported she was "visibly intoxicated" and had "great difficulty collecting her thoughts and articulating her reasons for calling." She told police her husband was verbally abusive to herself and her children.

On May 13 Bedford police responded to the Kennedy home for a "domestic incident" during which her husband alleged she was intoxicated records show. Officers were summoned to the South Bedford Road home at 9:16 p.m. and filed a state domestic incident report before leaving.

It was among several police visits to the Bedford estate in recent years according to police incident reports.

Robert Kennedy, a prominent environmentalist at Pace University School of Law in White Plains, declined to comment this week.

"I'm not going to talk to you about my personal life," he said Monday.

http://www.lohud.com/article/201007...nedy-Jr.-sues-wife-for-divorce?nclick_check=1

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/n...uggled-with-depression.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in Nasty Family Feud With In-Laws

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s former inlaws angrily denied allegations today that she was mentally ill and would beat her husband in the years before she hanged herself in an abandoned barn at her upstate New York compound last month.

Kennedy, according to court papers obtained by Newsweek, accused his wife Mary Richardson Kennedy of pummeling his face, resulting in a black eye and a permanently damaged tear duct, killing the family dog, stealing from Kennedy's daughter from a previous marriage, and threatening suicide and blackmail.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/robert-kennedy-jr-wifes-family-nasty-feud/story?id=16542795

"In a bombshell document obtained by Newsweek, Kennedy accuses Mary of physically abusing him for years and says he told her family that a psychologist had diagnosed her with BPD but according to Robert, Mary refused to see a psychologist."

The charges were included in explosive and confidential court documents dating from their 2010 divorce.

If this is true, why wasn't Mary charged with assault?

<snipped>

Richardson's siblings, who fought Kennedy in the days after her suicide for custody of her body, called the allegations "vindictive lies" told in the heat of ugly divorce proceedings.

"The scurrilous affidavit, which is the entire basis for the Newsweek article, was written by Bobby Kennedy as part of a contentious custody battle and was nothing more than a brutal psychological weapon in the divorce case," the Richardson family said in a statement released today by their lawyer.

Kennedy said Mary went into a "sudden rage" and "hit me in the face with her fist," after she learned he maintained a friendship with his ex-wife.

"She was a trained boxer," he said. "Her engagement ring crushed my tear duct causing permanent damage. Mary asked me to lie to her family about the source of my shiner."

In sworn testimony, Kennedy said, Mary threatened to blackmail him, saying "she intended to kill herself unless I called off the divorce and unless I promised to recommit to the marriage."

Despite years of allegedly being abused by Mary, "she repeatedly says that she will call the police and say I beat her if I threaten to leave her," he said.

Kennedy also accused Richardson of continuing the abuse even after he move out of the family's Westchester home.

In one incident, Kennedy was called to the compound to console his children after Richardson ran her car over the family pet.

"Mary ran over and killed the dog Porcia in the drive way," he said in the affidavit.

When he came home, he said Richardson was extremely intoxicated in her son Aidan's bedroom.

"I opened the door and she leapt out of bed and hit me with a roundhouse punch that, had I not blocked it, would have undoubtedly broken my face… She screamed at Aidan as she hit me, [and called me] a demon."

Kennedy also accused Richardson of stealing things from his daughter Kick, discovering a collection of lost items hidden under Mary's clothes.

In the affidavit Kennedy requests full custody of the children, alleging that Richardson was mentally ill, had stalked him on vacation and stolen his passport, cell phones and prescription pills.

Calls and emails to Kennedy for comment were not immediately returned.

The sad thing is there was an unstable woman who chose to take her life. The fact that she was married to a Kennedy makes this fodder for media. I'm not familiar with what happened in the case of Ted Kennedy's ex Joan but it seems that she carried herself in a more dignified manner than this woman did, despite her addictions.

LE may not have arrested her but rather looked to the family to place her where she would get adequate mental health care. It appears RFK Jr tried to do that but she jumped out of the car. What did Mary's family do to help her when it came to her mental health?

Snoopster is right, there are no 'sides' here, just a woman who needed help.
State-by-State Standards for Involuntary Commitment (Assisted Treatment)

New York

For inpatient:

60-day involuntary treatment based on medical certification:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.05(b) A certificate, as required by this article, must show that the person is mentally ill . . . [and] the condition of the person examined is such that he needs involuntary care and treatment in a hospital . . . .

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.37(a) The director of a hospital, upon application by a director of community services or an examining physician duly designated by him or her, may receive and care for in such hospital as a patient any person who, in the opinion of the director of community services or the director's designee, has a mental illness for which immediate inpatient care and treatment in a hospital is appropriate and which is likely to result in serious harm to himself or herself or others.

If a hearing on the patient's need for treatment during the 60-day involuntary treatment:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.31(c). If it be determined [by the court] that the patient is in need of retention, the court shall deny the application for the patient's release. If it be determined that the patient is not mentally ill or not in need of retention, the court shall order the release of the patient.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. As used in this article: "in need of care and treatment" means that a person has a mental illness for which in-patient care and treatment in a hospital is appropriate. "in need of involuntary care and treatment" means that a person has a mental illness for which care and treatment as a patient in a hospital is essential to such person's welfare and whose judgment is so impaired that he is unable to understand the need for such care and treatment.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. "need for retention" means that a person who has been admitted to a hospital pursuant to this article is in need of involuntary care and treatment in a hospital for a further period.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. "likelihood to result in serious harm" or "likely to result in serious harm" means

(1) a substantial risk of physical harm to the person as manifested by threats of or attempts at suicide or serious bodily harm or other conduct demonstrating that the person is dangerous to himself or herself, or

(2) a substantial risk of physical harm to other persons as manifested by homicidal or other violent behavior by which others are placed in reasonable fear of serious physical harm.

Case Law. Although not explicitly in the state&#8217;s code, a strong majority of the New York courts addressing the issue have held that in order to retain a patient for involuntary psychiatric care under New York law a hospital must establish that the patient is (1) mentally ill; (2) in need of continued, supervised care and treatment; and (3) that the patient poses a substantial threat of physical harm to himself and/or others. E.g., Anonymous v. Carmichael, 727 N.Y.S.2d (N.Y. App. Div. 2001)

For outpatient:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.60(C). Criteria for Assisted Outpatient Treatment. A patient may be ordered to obtain assisted outpatient treatment if the court finds that:

(1) The patient is eighteen years of age or older; and

(2) The patient is suffering from a mental illness; and

(3) The patient is unlikely to survive safely in the community without supervision, based on a clinical determination; and

(4) The patient has a history of lack of compliance with treatment for mental illness that has:

(I) At least twice within the last thirty-six months been a significant factor in necessitating hospitalization in a hospital, or receipt of services in a forensic or other mental health unit of a correctional facility, not including any period during which the person was hospitalized or incarcerated immediately preceding the filing of the petition or;

(II) Resulted in one or more acts of serious violent behavior toward self or others or threats of, or attempts at, serious physical harm to self or others within the last forty-eight months, not including any period in which the person was hospitalized or incarcerated immediately preceding the filing of the petition; and

(5) The patient is, as a result of his or her mental illness, unlikely to voluntarily participate in the recommended treatment pursuant to the treatment plan; and

(6) In view of the patient's treatment history and current behavior, the patient is in need of assisted outpatient treatment in order to prevent a relapse or deterioration which would be likely to result in serious harm to the patient or others as defined in section 9.01 of this article; and

(7) It is likely that the patient will benefit from assisted outpatient treatment; and

(8) If the patient has executed a health care proxy as defined in article 29-C of the Public Health Law, that any directions included in such proxy shall be taken into account by the court in determining the written treatment plan.

http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/studies/state-standards-involuntary-treatment.html

Oh my goodness, how terrible. She definately had some serious issues going on. Of course I feel bad for the kids.

In the article the housekeeper says they called Bobby and when he came over that is when they found her> I had read he was in LA at the time.

Initial reports said the housekeeper found her and later ones said Robert was with the housekeeper and her husband iirc when Mary was found.

Early reports said Robert was in LA and the children were not home at the time Mary hung herself and that Robert didn't show up at the Bedford Estate until evening time. Now we know Robert lives in a home a few hundred yards from hers.

The children's grandmother lives in LA and Robert and the children flew there after Mary's funeral according to a media report.

Cheryl Hines also lives in a Cape Cod style home in Mandeville Canyon, in Los Angeles, California. Hines&#8217;s home is 4,908 square feet, with 6 bedrooms, and 5.5 bathrooms. The entryway leads to a formal living room with oak hardwood floors, built in cabinetry, wood beamed ceilings, and stone fireplace. The formal dining room has built-in shelves, a wood ceiling, and a Dutch door that opens into the backyard. The galley style kitchen has tile floors with granite and butcher block counter tops. The master suite has a step up soaking tub surrounded by marble, twin vanities, two master closets, and a fireplace. The back yard area has a brick terrace with fire pit, and a swimming pool and spa. The rustic style guest house is located above the garage, fully equipped with small kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity-homes/cheryl-hines-house/

Mary Kerry Kennedy and Mary Nancy Richardson were very close in age: Mary Kerry Kennedy was born on September 8 1959 and nearly one month later on October 4, 1959, Mary Nancy Richardson was born.

Mary Kerry Kennedy was born in Washington, D.C. She is the seventh of the eleven children of Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Skakel Kennedy. She is a graduate of The Putney School and Brown University and received her J.D. from Boston College Law School.

She is an American human rights activist and writer.

In 1991 Mary Kerry Kennedy married Andrew Cuomo, now the governor of New York and she was known as Kerry Kennedy Cuomo from 1991 until 2003. She has three daughters: Cara Ethel Kennedy Cuomo, Mariah Matilda Kennedy Cuomo, and Michaela Andrea Kennedy Cuomo. Kennedy and Cuomo divorced in 2005.

Kennedy is the best-selling author of Being Catholic Now, Prominent Americans talk about Change in the Church and the Quest for Meaning.

Human rights work

Kennedy started working in the field of human rights in 1981 when she investigated abuses committed by U.S. immigration officials against refugees from El Salvador. She established the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center for Human Rights, a non-profit organization that addresses the problems of social justice, in 1988. Kennedy established the RFK Center to help promote the protection of rights codified under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The Center uncovers and publicizes abuses such as torture, disappearances, repression of free speech and child labor; urges Congress and the U.S. administration to highlight human rights in foreign policy, and supplies activists with resources they need to advance their work. She has worked on diverse human rights issues such as children&#8217;s rights, child labor, disappearances, indigenous land rights, judicial independence, freedom of expression, ethnic violence, impunity, and the environment. She has concentrated specifically on women&#8217;s rights, particularly honor killings, sexual slavery, domestic violence, workplace discrimination, and sexual assault. She has led over 40 human rights delegations across the globe.

Kennedy is the author of Speak Truth to Power: Human Rights Defenders Who Are Changing Our World, which features interviews with human rights activists including Marian Wright Edelman, the Dalai Lama, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and more.

Kennedy has appeared numerous times on ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN and PBS as well as on networks in countries around the world, and her commentaries and articles have been published in The Boston Globe, The Chicago Sun-Times, L&#8217;Unita, The Los Angeles Times, Marie Claire, The New York Times, Pagina12, TV Guide and the Yale Journal of International Law. As a special correspondent for the environmental magazine television program, &#8220;Network Earth&#8221;, she reported on human rights and the environment. She interviewed human rights leaders for Voice of America.

Kennedy is Chair of the Amnesty International USA Leadership Council. Nominated by President Bush and confirmed by the Senate, she serves on the board of directors of the United States Institute of Peace, as well as Human Rights First, and Inter Press Service (Rome, Italy). She is a patron of the Bloody Sunday Trust (Northern Ireland) and serves on the Editorial Board of Advisors of the Buffalo Human Rights Law Review. She is on the Advisory Committee for the International Campaign for Tibet, the Committee on the Administration of Justice of Northern Ireland, the Global Youth Action Network, Studies without Borders and several other organizations. She serves on the leadership council of the Amnesty International Campaign to to Stop Violence Against Women and on the Advisory Board of the Albert Schweitzer Institute.

Read more Kerry Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank-you,for the link. I felt I knew Mary a little better after reading a few of the remembrances. As one person wrote,"Women need to stand with other women instead of being perpetrators ". I hope Mary's children someday wiil read how much she was loved & admired and how many people's lives she touched..MOO

Thank you for your lovely post.

"Mary Kerry Kennedy serves on the leadership council of the Amnesty International Campaign to Stop Violence Against Women and she has concentrated specifically on women&#8217;s rights, particularly honor killings, sexual slavery, domestic violence, workplace discrimination, and sexual assault. She has led over 40 human rights delegations across the globe."

Kerry Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sad thing is there was an unstable woman who chose to take her life. The fact that she was married to a Kennedy makes this fodder for media. I'm not familiar with what happened in the case of Ted Kennedy's ex Joan but it seems that she carried herself in a more dignified manner than this woman did, despite her addictions.

LE may not have arrested her but rather looked to the family to place her where she would get adequate mental health care. It appears RFK Jr tried to do that but she jumped out of the car. What did Mary's family do to help her when it came to her mental health?

Snoopster is right, there are no 'sides' here, just a woman who needed help.****
State-by-State Standards for Involuntary Commitment (Assisted Treatment)

New York

For inpatient:

60-day involuntary treatment based on medical certification:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.05(b) A certificate, as required by this article, must show that the person is mentally ill . . . [and] the condition of the person examined is such that he needs involuntary care and treatment in a hospital . . . .

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.37(a) The director of a hospital, upon application by a director of community services or an examining physician duly designated by him or her, may receive and care for in such hospital as a patient any person who, in the opinion of the director of community services or the director's designee, has a mental illness for which immediate inpatient care and treatment in a hospital is appropriate and which is likely to result in serious harm to himself or herself or others.

If a hearing on the patient's need for treatment during the 60-day involuntary treatment:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.31(c). If it be determined [by the court] that the patient is in need of retention, the court shall deny the application for the patient's release. If it be determined that the patient is not mentally ill or not in need of retention, the court shall order the release of the patient.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. As used in this article: "in need of care and treatment" means that a person has a mental illness for which in-patient care and treatment in a hospital is appropriate. "in need of involuntary care and treatment" means that a person has a mental illness for which care and treatment as a patient in a hospital is essential to such person's welfare and whose judgment is so impaired that he is unable to understand the need for such care and treatment.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. "need for retention" means that a person who has been admitted to a hospital pursuant to this article is in need of involuntary care and treatment in a hospital for a further period.

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.01. "likelihood to result in serious harm" or "likely to result in serious harm" means

(1) a substantial risk of physical harm to the person as manifested by threats of or attempts at suicide or serious bodily harm or other conduct demonstrating that the person is dangerous to himself or herself, or

(2) a substantial risk of physical harm to other persons as manifested by homicidal or other violent behavior by which others are placed in reasonable fear of serious physical harm.

Case Law. Although not explicitly in the state’s code, a strong majority of the New York courts addressing the issue have held that in order to retain a patient for involuntary psychiatric care under New York law a hospital must establish that the patient is (1) mentally ill; (2) in need of continued, supervised care and treatment; and (3) that the patient poses a substantial threat of physical harm to himself and/or others. E.g., Anonymous v. Carmichael, 727 N.Y.S.2d (N.Y. App. Div. 2001)

For outpatient:

N.Y. MENTAL HYG. LAW § 9.60(C). Criteria for Assisted Outpatient Treatment. A patient may be ordered to obtain assisted outpatient treatment if the court finds that:

(1) The patient is eighteen years of age or older; and

(2) The patient is suffering from a mental illness; and

(3) The patient is unlikely to survive safely in the community without supervision, based on a clinical determination; and

(4) The patient has a history of lack of compliance with treatment for mental illness that has:

(I) At least twice within the last thirty-six months been a significant factor in necessitating hospitalization in a hospital, or receipt of services in a forensic or other mental health unit of a correctional facility, not including any period during which the person was hospitalized or incarcerated immediately preceding the filing of the petition or;

(II) Resulted in one or more acts of serious violent behavior toward self or others or threats of, or attempts at, serious physical harm to self or others within the last forty-eight months, not including any period in which the person was hospitalized or incarcerated immediately preceding the filing of the petition; and

(5) The patient is, as a result of his or her mental illness, unlikely to voluntarily participate in the recommended treatment pursuant to the treatment plan; and

(6) In view of the patient's treatment history and current behavior, the patient is in need of assisted outpatient treatment in order to prevent a relapse or deterioration which would be likely to result in serious harm to the patient or others as defined in section 9.01 of this article; and

(7) It is likely that the patient will benefit from assisted outpatient treatment; and

(8) If the patient has executed a health care proxy as defined in article 29-C of the Public Health Law, that any directions included in such proxy shall be taken into account by the court in determining the written treatment plan.

http://mentalillnesspolicy.org/studies/state-standards-involuntary-treatment.html

<snipped>

Mary was spending much of her time in bed, and on Sunday, May 13 2012, she looked so ill that the worried housekeeper skipped church to stay with her. Monday was no better, nor Tuesday, and the housekeeper had a feeling that something bad was about to happen. She called mary's sisters and they said they were coming over but they never showed up.

Mary sought the help of psychiatrists and therapists. There was all sorts of family counseling. But nothing got better. By 2003 Bobby wanted out, and he started living a single man’s life. He began an affair that lasted three years, but after Mary made several halfhearted suicide attempts it scared Bobby so much that he broke off the relationship, according to the affidavit. And then he returned to trying to forget in a series of short-lived affairs.

But Mary learned about the affairs, and she began telling her friends and her family. And a number believed that by having these outside relationships Bobby was emotionally abusing his wife. “Mary talked about going to therapy a lot with Bobby and talking about all his affairs,” says one of Mary’s friends. “She tried very hard, and part of it was going to therapy and talking about it.”

In 2006 Bobby talked to Mary’s psychotherapist, then Sheenah Hankin, “You are married to a woman who has borderline personality disorder,” Hankin told him, according to Bobby’s account in the affidavit. “It’s important that you read these books.”

Bobby had never even heard of borderline personality disorder (BPD), but when he opened I Hate You, Don’t Leave Me by Jerold J. Kreisman and Hal Straus, he felt he had an understanding of what was happening with his wife. Bobby read that the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association lists nine criteria for BPD, five of which must be present for a diagnosis. Mary seemed to have every one of the nine, including a perceived sense of abandonment, a lack of identity, recklessness, suicidal threats, intense feelings of emptiness, and inappropriate displays of anger.

There was something else they had in common. They were both recovering in 12-step programs and had exhibited destructive, addictive behavior. In 1985, two years after Bobby had been busted for heroin possession and become sober, Mary was in a hospital to get treatment for anorexia, which she had suffered from at least since her Putney days. Afterward, finding the structure and radical honesty of 12-step meetings helpful, she became a regular at AA, just like Bobby. Bobby had what his brother Doug called the Kennedy “St. Francis complex,” always trying to do good and help people, and he reached out to Mary as if reaching out to a version of himself.

Kennedys still have connections like few families in America, and after Hankin diagnosed the disorder, Bobby and Mary arranged a meeting with Dr. John Gunderson, a Harvard psychiatrist who is often called the father of BPD. After talking to Bobby and Mary, Gunderson says, “I was convinced the diagnosis of BPD was correct. At the heart of this disorder is a hypersensitivity to other people, such that they can perceive rejection and anger from others when it isn’t there, and when it is there, they react with even more desperation. It is thought that this hypersensitivity is present even in childhood, during which they will often feel neglected or mistreated. That sets the stage for their search for an idealized caretaker. The caretaker oftentimes gets exhausted by the unrealistic expectations. But the caretaker finds it difficult to leave as the partner threatens to kill him or herself.”

Almost everyone, including Mary’s own therapists, thought that the marriage was so damaging to both of them that it must end. And in September 2007 Bobby hired a divorce lawyer. With that, everything bad and dangerous escalated.

The other person who was often in the house and saw what was going on in addition to the housekeeper was John Hoving, a social worker and longtime family friend of both Bobby and Mary. After their separation, “Bobby would arrive to take the kids and she would throw a screaming fit,” Hoving says. “The kids were all witnessing a lot of this stuff ... Horror. Just horror. And I loved Mary. I want that to be known. I adored her. I didn’t adore what BPD did to her.”

Bobby repeatedly pleaded with Mary’s brothers and sisters to do an intervention. On June 17, 2011, he wrote an email to them saying, “Mary is a wonderful, generous, kind, and wise person but depression and illness are now killing her. I know you have told me that her frequent suicide threats are not real. I do not believe this is accurate. I see her now sinking into a terrible darkness. She desperately needs a family intervention.” Thomas Richardson, the titular leader of the family, replied, asking that these emails stop: “We will be forced to respond in kind, and the record that we will be forced to set forth is not one that Bobby will be pleased to have on paper or in electronic form.”

Whatever her demons, Mary Richardson Kennedy had finally escaped them. “Her suicide was both a statement of hopelessness about her prospects of staying married,” says Dr. Gunderson, “and it was an angry statement of her perception that she had been abandoned and betrayed. There were two sides to it. One was that she was a horrible person who nobody wanted. The other was that she was an abandoned waif who had been mistreated. And both of these things are inherent in this dramatic suicide.”

Why didn&#8217;t the housekeeper contact Mary&#8217;s doctor when she saw she was critically ill on Sunday morning? If Mary had received medical attention at this crucial time, she might not have committed suicide on Wednesday.

Imo Mary should have been hospitalized on Sunday.

<snipped>
&#8220;Mary was spending much of her time in bed, and that Sunday morning, May 13, 2012, she looked so ill that the worried housekeeper skipped church to stay with her. Monday was no better, nor Tuesday, and the housekeeper had a feeling that something bad was about to happen.&#8221;

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/06/10/the-last-days-of-mary-richardson-kennedy.html

<snipped>

"In a story told in Bobby&#8217;s affidavit and confirmed by one of his friends, the first major crisis in their marriage concerned the way Mary treated Bobby&#8217;s two children from his first marriage, who stayed with them three weekends a month. No divorce is ever easy on the kids, and so it was with the younger of the two, 9-year-old Kick. Almost every time Bobby drove her to the airport at the end of the weekend, she seemed to have lost something that created all kinds of unnecessary problems. One week it was the plane ticket. The next week it was her wallet. Bobby gently asked his daughter to be more responsible.

Kennedy said he didn't initially know of the treatment, but three years after they married it triggered his first attempt at divorce in 1997.

It wasn&#8217;t until about five years after the original incident, he said in the affidavit, that &#8220;I learned from Kick and many others who had witnessed Mary&#8217;s conduct, the heartbreaking story of Mary&#8217;s long campaign of cruelty and abuse directed toward Kick.&#8221;

He alleges that Kick told him that Mary would take her into a closed room to harangue her about her many supposed faults, including the way she dressed. On at least one occasion, she slapped Kick for speaking critically to one of Mary&#8217;s children, according to the affidavit.

In 2003 a storm hit the couple&#8217;s home and it flooded. Bobby wanted to give his wife a purpose and their relationship a final chance, so he agreed to let her redo the house. Like so many other things in Mary&#8217;s life, it was on the surface a splendid achievement, so much so that a book was written on the Kennedys&#8217; green house. But it had cost double the original estimate, and now, half a dozen years after starting the project, the solar panels were already falling apart, and it was costing $40,000 a month to maintain the house and staff. With the extraordinary legal bills from their divorce topping $1 million, neither Mary nor Bobby could afford to live there much longer. Compared with his wealthier relatives, Bobby and his siblings were paupers. His father had spent much of his inheritance on his 1968 presidential run. What was left went largely to his widow and the remaining amount was divided amongst the 11 children."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/06/10/the-last-days-of-mary-richardson-kennedy.html

New details emerge in death of Mary Richardson Kennedy (Video only)

<snipped>

Robert Kennedy Jr was at the residence and is the one who called Police after a housekeeper discovered his estranged wife&#8217;s body in a barn behind the house.

The housekeeper noticed Mary Richardson Kennedy was missing at around 11 am after finding her purse but no sign of her.

Worried, the housekeeper called Robert who lives nearby in Bedford. After Robert arrived, he called a local AA group to find out if Mary was there.

She wasn&#8217;t and a search followed. Bedrooms and the carriage house were searched before the housekeeper discovered Mary&#8217;s body hanging in the barn.

Ms. Kennedy had stacked animal traps on top of one another and then kicked them out from under herself.

Bedford town police said they found "a deceased individual" inside an outbuilding at 1:36 p.m.

The Medical Examiner confirmed Ms. Kennedy died of asphyxiation due to hanging.

Responding to negative news coverage surrounding her death, her family issued a statement.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/16451231...n-kennedy/?playlist_id=86856&intcmp=obnetwork

So, this is the "Camelot" the media fed us like geese intended for Foie gras? Pardon me if I choke on it and the whole clan.

My opinion only

Bobby Jr has a Summer home at 131 Irving Avenue, Hyannisport, Massachusetts.

&#8220;On Tuesday, June 28, 2011, after reading this affidavit and pleading with me not to file it in Court, Mary told me by phone that she would allow me to keep the children during July and August at my house at the Cape.

The Richardsons wanted Mary buried in the family plot in Vermont. Bobby and Mary&#8217;s two oldest children, Conor and Kyra, spent the entire day in court two days after their mother&#8217;s death to tell a judge that they wanted their mother&#8217;s remains buried near the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, where they would have an easier time visiting her. And so the judge ruled.

It seems the Divorce Affidavit Robert F Kennedy signed and filed on September 16 2011 was in effect because in April 2012, the children were staying with Mary at the family home in Westchester County, N.Y. and because of her condition, the family-court judge decided to give full but temporary custody to her estranged husband, who lived in a rented house just down the road from the couple&#8217;s estate.&#8221;

In the weeks before Mary Richardson Kennedy began searching the Internet for instructions on how to make a noose, she was in the midst of an excruciatingly ugly divorce from Robert F. Kennedy Jr., the second son of Robert and Ethel Skakel Kennedy. She was drinking heavily, and her behavior became so erratic that court authorities would only allow her to see her four children during visits supervised by the family housekeeper.

Robert claimed that, &#8220;On Tuesday, June 28, 2011, after reading this affidavit and pleading with me not to file it in Court, Mary told me by phone that she would allow me to keep the children during July and August at my house at the Cape. I am grateful for this settlement but based upon her past behavior, I have little faith she will abide by this.

The following day she told me she had finally signed a child custody agreement and sent it to her lawyer. She promised I would have it in my hand by Tuesday, July 5.

On July 5, my lawyer contacted Mary&#8217;s lawyer, Peter Bienstock, who told him he never received anything from Mary. Mary called me many dozens of times everyday over the July 4th weekend, screaming, crying, threatening to destroy me and telling me she was on her way up to visit.

For the sake of my children and for my own safety and sanity, I need protection from this Court to minimize any contact between Mary and myself by granting the requested injunction for a protective order and requiring Mary to sign a fair child custody agreement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back