Max's Mother pleads case to Council

Dina's attorney Angela Hallier is misrepresenting her own experts opinions. Both experts hired by Dina do not agree that this was an assault scenario. Dr. Bove, "I have not taken a position as to whether the actual incident that resulted in Maxfield Shacknai’s injuries was intentional". Why would attorney Hallier misrepresent the conclusion of her own expert? Dina also states the same while addressing the Coronado council members.

BBM - good question. I think it weakens their request to reinvestigate Max's death. Nearly everyone thinks his death wasn't explained very well and needs to be looked at again, but the whole conflicting expert opinion, misrepresentation, and pushing the assault scenario seems a little bizarre - worse, because they keep saying stuff like having the science on their side. It isn't coming off as very good science.

You are correct about Item 6.....anyone can speak (for upto 3 minutes), and the format is 1. Identify yourself, 2. state your cause/concern.

Generally, and that is generally, every council/commission has a "public speaker" period where citizens can bring matters to the Council's attention for possible inclusion on a future agenda. Just one of the ways the Council gets information from its constituents.

Salem

I keep thinking about how Max was cremated... apparently unusal for a Jewish family...
I wonder who's idea that was.... Dina or Jonah?

It is unfortuneate that Dina can not have a second autopsy....I can certainly understand why she would have another pathologist go over the findings.

I keep thinking about how Max was cremated... apparently unusal for a Jewish family...

It is unfortuneate that Dina can not have a second autopsy....I can certainly understand why she would have another pathologist go over the findings.

Seems both parents would have to agree on the type of burial? If Dina had suspicions early on, I don't know why Max would have been cremated.

BBM.
I think Dina might feel that she DID have a "second autopsy" for Max when she hired Dr. Melinek.

However, even with cremation as a final disposition, there still exists a great deal of information that another forensic pathologist could reexamine. Max has a large volume of medical information from his 5 days in ICU that is available, as well as the original autopsy report, notes, and official autopsy photographs. If she and/ or Jonah were to desire another "look", there is enough for other professionals to weigh in on their opinions.

With the high profile nature of these deaths, it's entirely possible that some very high level experts might do this for free, provided they have access to everything-- not just portions of the record, etc. Having a number of experts review the records could be very persuasive to authorities to reopen Max's case-- if there is a consensus among a cadre of professionals beyond the ones paid for by Dina, that could be very persuasive. However, the risk is that the consensus might not be what Dina is currently persuaded is the answer.

If Dina really wants to "leave no stone unturned", she will cast a wide net, and plead with many other experts to review her son's records and weigh in with opinions. Because as long as she is wedded only to Dr. Melinek's opinion, I don't think anyone else will seriously listen to her requests to reopen the case.

And if she does intend to begin filing multiple civil lawsuits, which is anticipated by many people, having more than Bove's and Melinek's opinions could help her future cases there, too, if the findings support Dr. Melinek's.

But if there are future civil lawsuits in which Dr. Melinek's opinions are entered as evidence, well, for sure there will be a "war of experts".

I think that what we saw in Dr. Wecht's remarks on the Dr. Phil show are a preview to what could be other renowned experts who strongly disagree with Dr. Melinek.

Time will tell.

BBM.
I think Dina might feel that she DID have a "second autopsy" for Max when she hired Dr. Melinek.

However, even with cremation as a final disposition, there still exists a great deal of information that another forensic pathologist could reexamine. Max has a large volume of medical information from his 5 days in ICU that is available, as well as the original autopsy report, notes, and official autopsy photographs. If she and/ or Jonah were to desire another "look", there is enough for other professionals to weigh in on their opinions.

With the high profile nature of these deaths, it's entirely possible that some very high level experts might do this for free, provided they have access to everything-- not just portions of the record, etc. Having a number of experts review the records could be very persuasive to authorities to reopen Max's case-- if there is a consensus among a cadre of professionals beyond the ones paid for by Dina, that could be very persuasive. However, the risk is that the consensus might not be what Dina is currently persuaded is the answer.

If Dina really wants to "leave no stone unturned", she will cast a wide net, and plead with many other experts to review her son's records and weigh in with opinions. Because as long as she is wedded only to Dr. Melinek's opinion, I don't think anyone else will seriously listen to her requests to reopen the case.

And if she does intend to begin filing multiple civil lawsuits, which is anticipated by many people, having more than Bove's and Melinek's opinions could help her future cases there, too, if the findings support Dr. Melinek's.

But if there are future civil lawsuits in which Dr. Melinek's opinions are entered as evidence, well, for sure there will be a "war of experts".

I think that what we saw in Dr. Wecht's remarks on the Dr. Phil show are a preview to what could be other renowned experts who strongly disagree with Dr. Melinek.

Time will tell.

The cremation was Jonah's idea.

According to this article Jewish law forbids cremation. This is odd because Dina claims in the 'Boy Interrupted' article that, "Dina converted to Judaism at Jonah’s behest." Also, if Dina had doubts that Max's injuries resulted from accidental causes how could she allow the cremation to take place?

Why would Jonah require Dina to convert? Was he observing Jewish law? If so then why did he cremate Max?

Another article from the same site discusses why the gentile wife converts to Judaism and is also shown below.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/510874/jewish/Why-Does-Jewish-Law-Forbid-Cremation.htm

http://www.chabad.org/library/artic...h/How-did-Naomis-sons-marry-Moabite-women.htm

http://www.phoenixmag.com/lifestyle/valley-news/201208/boy--interrupted-full-version/

Organ donation is permitted in Judaism. Some ultra-orthodox Jews oppose organ donation. Clearly JS isn't "ultra-orthodox."

The minutes of the Coronado City Council Meeting from 18 Sep 2012 are now posted on the Coronado City website. This is the meeting where Dina Shacknai addressed the council requesting that the city look into reopening Max's death investigation.

There is only one very brief line in the minutes referring to Dina's comments-- listed on page 9, under 6a "Oral Communications":

a. Dina Shacknai requested that the City Council reopen the investigation into her son's death.

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/documents/1348862000_21137.pdf

There are no further comments about Dina's remarks or request in the minutes.

The minutes of the Coronado City Council Meeting from 18 Sep 2012 are now posted on the Coronado City website. This is the meeting where Dina Shacknai addressed the council requesting that the city look into reopening Max's death investigation.

There is only one very brief line in the minutes referring to Dina's comments-- listed on page 9, under 6a "Oral Communications":

http://www.coronado.ca.us/egov/documents/1348862000_21137.pdf

There are no further comments about Dina's remarks or request in the minutes.
I was in attendance.......what would you like to know?

Who accompanied Dina to the meeting? We know Jonah was noticeably absent. Who was the man sitting next to Dina? Is he the boyfriend who opened her summer home door to police that afternoon after Max's accident? What is her then boyfriend's name and is Dina still dating him? Why have we heard nothing from him?

Well, after perusing old minutes to see how the council has previously handled the public comment section, I suspected that the 18 Sept minutes would not have any substantive comments about Dina's request and remarks. At best, I expected an expression of sympathy for her loss-- but as the council didn't verbally state an expression of sympathy at the 18 Sept meeting, none was inserted into the minutes.

I didn't really think the council was going to do anything, but I thought it would be interesting to see if they made any public comments at all about Dina's very emotional plea in the minutes. Or, a statement or press release or something.

If the council chooses to send Dina a letter, or other communication related to her request, I'm sure she will publicize it and we will hear about it. I was just following up on the minutes to see what they had to say there.

"I am a scientist"..............I almost choked when she said that....Dina DOES NOT OWN PROPERTY IN CORONADO, NOR DOES SHE OWN PROPERTY IN PARADISE VALLEY, AZ. All 3 houses (Spreckels, 1124 G Ave, and 6135 E Caballo Drive) are owned by the Jonah Shacknai Trust. Dina stayed in a hotel in downtown SD on this trip: she no longer has access to the G Ave pad. And she is not a resident of California. This is all public record, so why lie about "facts" that can be verified?

This is just to remind everyone that this property was transferred to Dina's trust in Jan 2013...I was reminded when I just read the Summons

Owner:DINA MARIE SHACKNAI REVOCABLE TRUST
Mailing Address:6135 E CABALLO DR , PARADISE VALLEY , AZ 85253 USA
Deed #:130058233
Deed Date:
January 18, 2013

http://mcassessor.maricopa.gov/?s=168-59-004

This is just to remind everyone that this property was transferred to Dina's trust in Jan 2013...I was reminded when I just read the Summons

Owner:DINA MARIE SHACKNAI REVOCABLE TRUST
Mailing Address:6135 E CABALLO DR , PARADISE VALLEY , AZ 85253 USA
Deed #:130058233
Deed Date:
January 18, 2013

http://mcassessor.maricopa.gov/?s=168-59-004

Also, DS transferred the the property into the trust. It was in her name prior to the transfer and now is held by the trust. This is done to protect assets. For example, DS no longer "owns" the home, though she is the Trustee of the Trust that "owns" the home. By being in trust the home cannot be considered an asset of DS. It is an asset of the trust.

ALWAYS MOO

Well, well! It seems Jonah was well aware of what may/could be coming down the road.

My question is why did he do all this transferring of monies and properties? For Dina Romano? I understand why he did it for himself and his children, but for Dina Romano?

Anyone have any speculations?

Well, well! It seems Jonah was well aware of what may/could be coming down the road.

My question is why did he do all this transferring of monies and properties? For Dina Romano? I understand why he did it for himself and his children, but for Dina Romano?

Anyone have any speculations?

This was part if the divorce settlement, which was final in early 2011. JS held it up deliberately.....until recently.

Sure seems like a LOT of posturing on the part of attorneys and presumed innocent defendants.

Hey, if I were being accused of intentionally, willfully, wantonly, and maliciously threatening to cause immediate physical harm to someone who is now deceased by threatening to stalk, attack, choke, gag, bound, and hang the victim at the premises, I would welcome my day in court, ANY court, to clear my name and prove my innocence for once and for all. But then again, that's just me...
:moo:

Thank you, Inparadise. Wow. 2011.

Do you know when he and Rebecca began to become serious?

Carioca, I'm at a loss why he hasn't moved himself and his teenagers to a place ( United Arab Emirates ) where the country has no extradition treaty with the U.S. Seriously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back