Little Bear at unknown age

Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: August 1980 - exact date unknown
Last Date of Contact: 1983-1984 - exact date unknown
Location Last Seen: Mobridge, Walworth County, South Dakota

Description:
  • Date of Birth: circa 1962
  • Race: American Indian / Alaska Native
  • Height: 5' 4" - 5' 8" (64 - 68 inches)
  • Weight: 150 - 200 lbs
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Hazel
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Unknown
  • Identifiers: Unknown
  • Other: Associated Tribe - Affiliated with Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Little Bear was last seen in Mobridge, South Dakota sometime in August of 1980. He and a friend were witnessed boarding a Greyhound bus, or some other transportation bus, en route to Minneapolis, Minnesota. His family received information that he continued on to Chicago, Illinois from Minneapolis.

Sometime between 1983-1984, Little Bear either wrote or called home to check in on family but the individual who received the letter or call has since passed on. The exact date of his last contact is unclear. He has never been heard from since and his whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs: (605) 341-2123
    Reference Case#: BO23022352
NamUs Case Number: MP103114
NCIC Case Number: Not available
NCMEC Number: 1471895

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Attachments

• flbb.jpg
    flbb.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3

Missing Person / NamUs #MP103114​

Franklin Joeseph Little Bear, Male, American Indian / Alaska Native​

Demographics​

Missing Age 18 Years
Current Age 61 Years
First Name Franklin
Middle Name Joeseph
Last Name Little Bear
Nickname/Alias--

Sex Male
Height: 5' 4" - 5' 8" (64 - 68 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 200 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: American Indian / Alaska Native
Tribe Enrollment / Affiliation: Yes
Associated Tribe(s):- Affiliated with Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

Circumstances​

Date of Last Contact August 1, 1980
NamUs Case Created May 2, 2023

Last Known Location​

Location Mobridge, South Dakota 57601
CountyWalworth County
Missing From Tribal Land Yes
Primary Residence on Tribal Land No
Circumstances of Disappearance

• Reporting party stated that in 1980, Franklin Little Bear was witnessed boarding a Greyhound Bus, or some other transportation bus, with a friend, going from Mobridge, SD to Minneapolis, MN. Family received information that Franklin continued to Chicago, IL from Minneapolis. Sometime between 1983-1984, Franklin either wrote or called home to check in on family but the individual who received the letter or call has since passed on. The exact date of last contact is unknown.

• Original

This Indigenous John Doe was found in Chicago in 1985 and is believed to have committed suicide. I have submitted this as a potential match.

This Indigenous John Doe was found in Chicago in 1985 and is believed to have committed suicide. I have submitted this as a potential match.

Good morning,

Thank you for your email. Law enforcement is currently pursuing leads to identify Franklin Joeseph Little Bear, including this potential match.

Thanks

That is response I got this morning from the ME.

Also I think his middle name really is Joeseph.

• Height: 5' 4" - 5' 8" (64 - 68 inches)
  • Weight: 150 - 200 lbs

Is it just me or is a bit odd that his family gave such wide ranges for height and weight? I mean, I totally understand being off by an inch or two, or guesstimating the weight a bit. But these are some big differences! And no photo being available of a young man except for when he was a child of seven??

Is it just me or is a bit odd that his family gave such wide ranges for height and weight? I mean, I totally understand being off by an inch or two, or guesstimating the weight a bit. But these are some big differences! And no photo being available of a young man except for when he was a child of seven??

I'm his only immediate family left I was with him when he left his height would be 5:7 slender light brown hair where was he interred

I think people take for granted the accessibility of photography these days - not only would you have to pay for the camera, but also the film, development, and prints of the photos. It doesn't entirely shock me.

I'm his only immediate family left I was with him when he left his height would be 5:7 slender light brown hair where was he interred
I also called the law enforcement team and they said they are looking into it. Call them and also the medical examiner’s office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back