Identified! MD - Glen Burnie, WhtMale Skeletal 29UMMD, 18-30, in trash can, Apr'85 - Roger Kelso

Anne Arundel police identify man in cold case from 1985 as Glen Burnie native
By ALEX MANN
JUN 19, 2019

After almost six decades, the family of Roger Hearne Kelso can give him a proper burial.

Anne Arundel County police, utilizing the newest forensic technology, identified Kelso as the homicide victim in a 34-year-old cold case. Such a breakthrough wouldn’t be possible without genetic genealogy analysis, Chief Timothy Altomare said at a press conference Wednesday...

Kelso’s family are just thankful, said his younger sister Mary Ellen Huffman, who was joined by a half-dozen family members at police headquarters in Millersville. Now they can bury Kelso on a family plot in Loudon Park in Baltimore, she said.

“Just knowing that we have his body now,” Huffman said. “We’re going to have a memorial service.”

Kelso was a paperboy growing up, delivering the Sun Papers (now The Baltimore Sun), his family believed. Nobody knew what was to be his next endeavor, Huffman said. “He was so happy, we didn’t think to ask.”

Human remains were discovered on April 23, 1985, when a construction crew was clearing a lot to build Marley Station Mall and discovered the remains in a metal trash can.

Responding officers at the time recovered seven coins along with his remains, the most recent of which was dated 1963, suggesting he was killed some two decades before his remains were found.

The department’s cold case unit — tasked with knowing the ins and outs of every unsolved homicide — has been working on the case for 34 years, police said.

Homicide detectives expended all options at the time, said Sgt. Jacklyn Davis, police spokeswoman. They canvassed the scene, interviewed people, reviewed missing person’s reports and dental records, “they even enlisted the help of the Smithsonian Institute.”

Lt. John Jaschik recovered the remains along Marley Station Road that day. He retired in 2000, but felt compelled to attend the announcement — to achieve some form of closure himself.

“I have your whole case file,” Detective Regina Collier, the county cold case investigator now on the 1985 murder, told Jaschik. “Your report was great.”

In all honesty, Jaschik never thought the case would see a breakthrough, he told The Capital. “Once you did everything you could, you kind of wait and hope somebody says something.”

Police now say they’ve identified the remains as Kelso’s and that he was 19 or 20 years old at the time of his disappearance. They believe the homicide was a result of severe upper body trauma.

Davis said investigators have more information about the way that he died. Releasing more details to the public would jeopardize the integrity of the investigation, she said.

None of this, police said, would be possible without the services of Parabon Snapshot DNA Analysis Service...

Kelso grew up in the 100 block of Whip Lane in Glen Burnie and attended Glen Burnie High School as part of its Class of 1961, police said. Huffman spoke at a press conference announcing the news Wednesday: Kelso was a good and trusting person — perhaps too trusting, she said...

Identifying the victim is one of the first steps in a homicide investigation, Collier said, though in many cases it’s not a herculean feat that involves decades of searching around the country with FBI help.

Regardless, “it’s like I’m starting from scratch,” Collier said. She’s interviewed family members as far away as Oregon and they’ve helped by describing who Kelso was before he went missing. But none know of the events immediately preceding his death...

More at below link.

LINK:

Anne Arundel police identify man in cold case from 1985 as Glen Burnie native

Last edited:
th

Roger Hearne Kelso is seen in this undated photo released by the Anne Arundel County Sheriff's office.

LINKS:

Man murdered in 1960s identified through genetic genealogy: 'All these years and people still care,' sister says

Genetic Tests Help Officials Identify Roger Hearne Kelso As Victim In 1985 Cold Case

I always wondered about this case. I grew up in 70’s - 80’s Harundale right beside the woods that became the mall. I roamed every inch of those woods with my dogs. I was sad they were building a mall and tried to take down all the markers but they thwarted me by bolting them right to the trees. When the news told that a body had been found at the building site I got teased by my friends, asking if it were one of my boyfriends… I had sort of a mean girl reputation. It always bothered me that some poor soul was killed and left in a trash can right where I used to play with my dogs. I never saw anything odd or any disturbed areas in the woods while roaming. Weird to think he was there all that time. When reading about it, I was sure he was local.. I don’t know why. I’m glad he has been identified and we know a little about his life. I grew up working and hanging at the mall and I too got into the catwalks over top of the stores and even found my way to the roof once. I hope who ever killed that young man will come to justice someday. R.I.P. Roger.

I wonder what the family thought had happened to him? When Roger did not turn up for the family gathering, did they think he left or something more sinister? I wonder if Roger was living at home when he disappeared? I hope they can find who killed Roger. Rest in peace Roger

Roger Kelso in undated photos.

Roger Kelso was murdered probably some time in 1963. His body was found in April 1985, and he was identified in 2019.

His murder remains unsolved and an open case.

Roger was murdered about 60 years ago. His body was found some 22 years later, but not positively identified until 2019.

His murder remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back