Found Deceased MD - manhunt for Roy McGrath, one-time chief of staff to former Maryland Governor Hogan, Baltimore, Mar 2023

sds71

Reaction score
BALTIMORE -- A manhunt is ongoing for the one-time chief of staff to former Maryland Governor Larry Hogan.

A federal judge in Baltimore issued an arrest warrant Monday when Roy McGrath was a no-show to day one of his criminal trial. The U.S. Marshals Service is calling him a fugitive.

Sheriff's deputies checked McGrath's home Monday morning in Naples, Florida, but he wasn't there, the Baltimore Banner reports.

McGrath was supposed to meet his lawyer, Joseph Murtha, outside U.S. District Court in downtown Baltimore shortly before the 9 a.m. hearing, the Banner reported.

@MikenzieFrost

NEW: Here’s a wanted poster from the US Marshals Service for Roy McGrath, former Gov. Larry Hogan’s ex-chief of staff. McGrath was scheduled to appear for his federal fraud trail in Baltimore yesterday. His attorney says he has no idea where McGrath may be

Attachments

• BB5EBE91-6F36-4EBD-816C-83B918D63669.jpeg
    BB5EBE91-6F36-4EBD-816C-83B918D63669.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 82
Law enforcement descend on Roy McGrath’s Florida neighborhood, with agents outside his home and a second home a few houses away on the same street. McGrath, who briefly served as former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s chief of staff, did not appear in court Monday for the beginning of his trial on federal fraud charges.

Law enforcement descend on Roy McGrath’s Florida neighborhood, with agents outside his home and a second home a few houses away on the same street. McGrath, who briefly served as former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s chief of staff, did not appear in court Monday for the beginning of his trial on federal fraud charges.

Agents on Tuesday descended on the Naples, Florida neighborhood where McGrath has lived since shortly after he resigned under scrutiny from his brief stint as former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s chief of staff.

Former U.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said there are typically two possibilities when a federal defendant misses a court date.

“One is the defendant got cold feet and fled and tried to avoid a trial and the other is suicide,” Rosenstein, who was also the U.S. Attorney for Maryland, told The Sun. “There are occasions where criminal defendants, under a lot of stress, commit suicide. We don’t know what Mr. McGrath’s mental state was.”

Interesting there is no mention of a possible “getaway” vehicle. I assume he didn’t just up and disappear on foot.

Also wondering if his wife had any plans to accompany him to Baltimore because it doesn’t seem it.

/jmo

Last edited:
A neighbor in his gated community of Raffia Preserve shared cellphone video of officers in tactical gear approaching McGrath’s house early Wednesday with guns drawn. They led a barefoot woman in her pajamas outside.

McGrath’s wife, Laura Bruner, remains distraught, her attorney said.

@MaddiONeill

The book does claim that McGrath started recording his phone calls with other top officials because he sensed a “looming scandal” related to the tests. That is probably not going to cut it as a defense when McGrath faces state charges for illegally recording those conversations.

The recorded convos are also relevant to McGrath's federal trial (the one he skipped out on). The judge overseeing the trial has not ruled on the admissibility of the recordings if McGrath wanted to use them as part of his defense.

If McGrath is caught and faces trial, we may well learn more about this book. If these interviews with Ryan Cooper really did happen, federal prosecutors will be very interested in what McGrath had to say. I'll wrap up here for now.
https://twitter.com/MaddiONeill

Wait, one more thing. How could I forget to share my favorite line in the book

Attachments

• IMG_9525.png
    IMG_9525.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 42

@MaddiONeill

The book does claim that McGrath started recording his phone calls with other top officials because he sensed a “looming scandal” related to the tests. That is probably not going to cut it as a defense when McGrath faces state charges for illegally recording those conversations.

The recorded convos are also relevant to McGrath's federal trial (the one he skipped out on). The judge overseeing the trial has not ruled on the admissibility of the recordings if McGrath wanted to use them as part of his defense.

If McGrath is caught and faces trial, we may well learn more about this book. If these interviews with Ryan Cooper really did happen, federal prosecutors will be very interested in what McGrath had to say. I'll wrap up here for now.
https://twitter.com/MaddiONeill

Wait, one more thing. How could I forget to share my favorite line in the book

Oh my. Was McGrath’s resemblance to Broderick hidden until it was “bared?”

Who is Ryan Cooper, the author of the book?

Oh my. Was McGrath’s resemblance to Broderick hidden until it was “bared?”

Who is Ryan Cooper, the author of the book?

The author has been vague about his identity. He offered his name as “Ryan C. Cooper” and described himself Monday to The Banner as someone semi-retired who moved from Hagerstown to Florida and sympathized with McGrath. But he could not be reached again by phone Tuesday or Wednesday. Those calls were met with a recorded message saying the phone number was unavailable.

This new FBI wanted poster is also the first time we're seeing the possible alias of "Roy Baisliadou." FBI says McGrath was born in Greece.

Last edited:
Roy McGrath is dead. The indicted former chief of staff to Gov. Larry Hogan, who was on the run for 3 weeks after failing to show for his federal criminal trial, was shot after being confronted by the FBI in Tennessee. w
@Tim_Prudente

Agents encountered McGrath at a commercial intersection just west of Knoxville around 6:30 p.m. and opened fire, according to FBI public affairs officer Shayne Buchwald. It was not immediately clear if FBI agents shot McGrath or he wounded himself, and Buchwald said the incident was under investigation.

https://thebaltimorebanner.com/politics-power/state-government/roy-mcgrath-fugitive-found-manhunt-QBUF7AKQM5DN3PQD2OYJI43MA4/

Ok, help me out because the math isn't making any sense right now.
So McGrath skips out on his federal fraud trial and a warrant is issued. All normal and good.
Officers in tactical equipment and guns drawn arrive at his home and remove the pajama wearing barefoot wife from the residence. For a white collar crime guy with no prior criminal history and one who had to relinquish a firearm as part of the indictment proceedings.
Then a national manhunt is issued.
Then he is shot dead by FBI
What?

Add to that two ebooks are mysteriously written by someone who's identity can't be authorized and the wiretapping.
This was a white collar crime why is he dead? What threat did he pose to the FBI at the time of the shooting I wonder? Did he somehow obtain an illegal weapon?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back