MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

It was mentioned that her sister's bf was the last one to see her alive, wonder if the police are investigating him?

The loud playing music playing when the friends arrived home makes me think it was a noise cover for something.

I wish they would say what leads them to believe she was taken out of state. Did one of the friends leave the state arround the time of the disapearance. Otherwise it seems alittle hard to believe they have no leads or clues and think that.

Well, something is very wrong here.
It isn't as simple as 'she disappeared.'
And I am not discounting anything about what has happened when I say that,

I am just concerned as the new info comes out.
I think LE will get to the bottom of this.
If there were that many men in and out of that apartment
and there was alcohol and drug abuse, someone will talk.

I just hope Phylicia is still safe.

http://http://www.baltimoresun.com/...ssing-teen-baltimore-20110104,0,2597415.story

An elite FBI team set up to find missing and exploited children has joined Baltimore police in the search for a teenager who disappeared last month, even as detectives search Leakin Park based on a tip from an Internet posting, according to authorities involved in the investigation.

As of 11 a.m. Tuesday, investigators were scouring the woods along the 4000 block of Franklintown Road after reading an online comment posted on a Baltimore Sun story about the missing 16-year-old girl.

City police said they searched several addresses Monday night, including the apartment on Eberle Drive of Barnes' 27-year-old sister. A police spokesman described the apartment as akin to a flop-house for students, but said nothing was discovered there that helped in finding the missing teen.

Leakin Park (Franklintown Rd) is infamous for the number of bodies found there. Hope it comes to nothing. The article also says Phylicia's phone is turned off.

And why were students using a 27 year old's apartment as a flop house? I bet they aren't students, just unemployed young adults. I think this is a step-sister and not a blood relative of the mother; I don't think the mother knew what kind of place the sister was living in. I think this girl's disappearance is going to be tied to somebody she met at the apartment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-missing-teen-baltimore-20110104,0,2597415.story

An elite FBI team set up to find missing and exploited children has joined Baltimore police in the search for a teenager who disappeared last month, even as detectives search Leakin Park based on a tip from an Internet posting, according to authorities involved in the investigation.
She has not been heard from since. Family members said her cell phone has been turned off and she has not updated her Facebook page, something she regularly did.

City police said they searched several addresses Monday night, including the apartment on Eberle Drive of Barnes' 27-year-old sister. A police spokesman described the apartment as akin to a flop-house for students, but said nothing was discovered there that helped in finding the missing teen

I hope she is found safe, I'm glad the FBI is involved.

Snipped from previous link....

"Baltimore City Police have served a search warrant at the apartment of the missing teen’s sister on Eberle Drive in Northwest Baltimore. It’s not clear what they were looking for. They still do not have any suspects or even a person of interest yet."
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/missing-teen-may-have-been-given-vodka-and-marijuana/

Am I naive to think that serving search warrant shouldn't have been necessary? Wouldn't a sister (half siblings or not) want to do whatever she could to help find her sister? Like allowing LE to do their job without the red tape of obtaining a search warrant? She could have just given permission to search, right?

Praying for Phylicia.

http://http://www.baltimoresun.com/...ssing-teen-baltimore-20110104,0,2597415.story

Leakin Park (Franklintown Rd) is infamous for the number of bodies found there. Hope it comes to nothing. The article also says Phylicia's phone is turned off.

And why were students using a 27 year old's apartment as a flop house? I bet they aren't students, just unemployed young adults. I think this is a step-sister and not a blood relative of the mother; I don't think the mother knew what kind of place the sister was living in. I think this girl's disappearance is going to be tied to somebody she met at the apartment.

it's a half-sister - can't remember where I read that days ago, but it's mentioned again here

<snip>

the northwest Baltimore apartment where the girl had been staying with a half-sister.

<snip>

Baltimore police also confirmed they searched the apartment of Deena Barnes, Phylicia's 27-year-old half-sister.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/04/1954034/baltimore-search-intensifies-for.html

How did mom find out about the alcohol drinking and pot smoking? And that Phylicia was uncomfortable around one of the men?

Wouldn't a sister (half siblings or not) want to do whatever she could to help find her sister? Like allowing LE to do their job without the red tape of obtaining a search warrant? She could have just given permission to search, right?

Great question, and at first I was going to say that they need a search warrant for it to be valid proof in a case, BUT...

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29742.html

I was wrong.
The sister COULD of let them in to search. I find it crazy she didn't volunteer that as well.

I think LE getting SWs is just to make sure there's no future problems...just like LE got SWs in Ohio, even tho the BF/homeowner gave them permission to enter the house, LE went in the house & saw the blood, and then got the SWs.

Oh dear, this poor girl, I don't feel good about this at all. Of course she did not leave on her own and I am glad that LE does not think she did. But I fear the fact of being more than a week out now...

i'm confused
it says they were in town visiting friends
when my family and i are in a different town visiting them, we are actually "visiting" them
as in....people take off from work...we do pretty much everything together, eat together, etc.....
was that not the case here?
it sounds like a totally different siutation
were her parents around actually working somewhere when they were from "out of town"?
do you know what i mean?
i don't know maryland very well
but we have friends in hagerstown, md and california, maryland...
are those close at all to where this happened?

...(snipped)...
Am I naive to think that serving search warrant shouldn't have been necessary? Wouldn't a sister (half siblings or not) want to do whatever she could to help find her sister? Like allowing LE to do their job without the red tape of obtaining a search warrant? She could have just given permission to search, right?

Praying for Phylicia.

Great question, and at first I was going to say that they need a search warrant for it to be valid proof in a case, BUT...

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29742.html

I was wrong.
The sister COULD of let them in to search. I find it crazy she didn't volunteer that as well.

If it is just HER apartment, I agree. But if there are other names on the lease, then everyone would have to agree. I wonder if the search warrant was quicker than trying to track down everyone for signatures, or getting everyone agree to letting LE go through their things - especially if there is something to hide that has nothing to do with this case at all, but just something they don't want LE to find. This is all MOO - I'm just speculating.

I am so worried about Phylicia. Very worried... :(

I got the impression that Phylicia had gone on her own to stay with her half-sisters for a few days, I could be mistaken. They are much older, normally would be safe enough, but apparently not...

soyesterday,

I think she was visiting half siblings without her parents along. One article said her mother arrived in Baltimore and one talked about her mother telling her (on the phone before she went missing) how much she missed her and that she wasn't going anywhere next year during the holidays.

i'm confused
it says they were in town visiting friends
when my family and i are in a different town visiting them, we are actually "visiting" them
as in....people take off from work...we do pretty much everything together, eat together, etc.....
was that not the case here?
it sounds like a totally different siutation
were her parents around actually working somewhere when they were from "out of town"?
do you know what i mean?
i don't know maryland very well
but we have friends in hagerstown, md and california, maryland...
are those close at all to where this happened?

Both of those locations are far from this area- California is on the Bay and Hagerstown is west by a couple of hours.
When I have company in town I spend time with them, but I know the situation can be different with step families. If your child is coming to stay with you for a while, especially if you are not financially well off, you may not be able to take off all that time or spend a few weeks doing 'vacation' things. The area where she was visiting is not all that nice, and there is a good chance dad was working a job that was hourly or offered little flexibility for taking paid leave.

Detectives involved in the investigation, who have been joined by the FBI, now fear foul play and say there is reason believe the teen may have been abducted in part because of items that she left behind at the apartment, including money.

Barnes' mother Janice Sallis has revealed additional troubling information. She told WJZ that there was a party at her 28-year-old half-daughter's apartment that involved men, alcohol, and marijuana.

"I feel that she is being sexually assaulted against her will. I feel that she is being physically abused. I feel that she could be a part of the human trafficking," Sallis told WJZ.

Police have served a search warrant at the apartment of the missing teen's half sister, but it is not clear what they were searching for.

Barnes, an honor roll student from Monroe, N.C. about 25 miles southeast of Charlotte, was on track to graduate early from a charter school and is already applying to colleges.

Sallis says Barnes was visiting three older half-siblings in Baltimore.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20027203-504083.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back