MD MD - Rey Rivera, 32, suicide or foul play, Baltimore, 16 May 2006

On his supposed suicide note I found it weird that all the movies mentioned are from the late 90's and up...
He's a want to be screenwriter. I would think he would have a more diverse selection of favorites...
It's almost like he chose those movies for their release date so it could reference something that happened.
Like maybe something that has to do with his ''friend'' and his stock market influence...

I also wanted to add that I think a 6-5", 250 lb man jumping or falling from 14 stories up and crashing through a ceiling would have made a very loud bang, almost like an explosion, on impact. How would no one have heard this?
Hi! A woman who lived at the Belvedere at the time, named Mikita, noted in her journal that night a loud crash that rattled her windows around 10 PM. This was also heard and felt by her boyfriend who was there at the time as well.

What’s maddening is the investigators didn’t thoroughly question residents. They just walked in and asked whoever they saw, instead of going door to door.

I also wanted to add that I think a 6-5", 250 lb man jumping or falling from 14 stories up and crashing through a ceiling would have made a very loud bang, almost like an explosion, on impact. How would no one have heard this?
Hi! A woman who lived at the Belvedere at the time, named Mikita, noted in her journal that night a loud crash that rattled her windows around 10 PM. This was also heard and felt by her boyfriend who was there at the time as well. She wrote an entire book on this case.

What’s maddening is the investigators didn’t thoroughly question residents. They just walked in and asked whoever they saw, instead of going door to door.

Hi, I watched Rey Rivera's story on Unsolved Mysteries also, found it quite intriguing.

I was thinking, is it possible that the injuries were caused by impact of vehicle, and if there was ground level access at the rear of the property, where someone could leave his body where it was found? I don't believe he could have jumped so perfectly through that hole without leaving any evidence such as blood/flesh etc. - it was metal, surely there would be a large amount of damage to the flesh upon impact and going through it leaving evidence behind on metal fragments? Which takes me to his flip flops, mobile phone and glasses - both undamaged, which I imagine they would be following such a fall from height - this would then leave the roof scene being staged - particularly as it was reported on the documentary that there was NO CCTV footage of him in the hotel at all - to get to the roof he would have had to have gone through the lobby etc. and also have knowledge of where he needed to go- how familiar would he have been with roof access to that building?

Also - the burglar alarm going off at their home - a few weeks prior and someone tampering with a downstairs window - seems very strange in light of his death and the inconclusivity of his death by M.E.

eta - and the friend?! wth is up with that?!

Last edited:
I could probably do the calculations but seriously doubt the force of impact of his suicide jump would have created a hole that went straight through a roof. Its concrete and steel and designed to withstand more than a force of a human body despite falling from height. We would need to know the make up of the roof structure to do a true representation of the situation. AND then NO ONE heard this massive thud because it was an unused area????

What do you all think of the note? I am not sure I think it needs to be decoded or sends a message.

I think the hinkiest thing of all is that he was called and ended up at the Belvedere DEAD. That smells rotten and when no one is allowed to talk about it. That is even more smelly!
I agree, and I find it odd that he moved there to work for his "friend's company," and ends up dead in such a short period of time.

Hi all, i just watched this 2 nights ago...definitely compelling stuff! I have a couple of thoughts or theories.

One is that he and his best friend were both "pledging" the Freemasons. On the episode his wife said she googled some of the stuff from his note and the hit that came up was related to the Freemasons. I don't know what is involved with becoming a Freemason so this is a shot in the dark of course. Could it be he was called by either his best friend or someone who was at the office with the best friend and told "get over here immediately" or "meet me at so and so immediately"? I pledged a fraternity and there was some of that sort of thing involved by older brothers calling on us pledges. Could explain the urgency. I was also thinking maybe they were involved in some sort of pledge exercise or initiation that went wrong, and he fell? Could have been like "the item you need is in room X and the only way to get there is through the window on that ledge". I do think that however he died, it would be pretty impossible for his cell phone and glasses to remain undamaged after an extreme fall, and his flip flops to have landed oh so neatly near one another on the roof (i think that is how they were found). Those items do seem staged. The hole in the roof also seemed odd- no blood anywhere on the roof after such an impact? Could he have fallen somewhere else and been moved there, and maybe someone goes up on the roof and drops a cinder block or bowling ball? That hole just seems too small and clean

The other theory many have already mentioned and that it is some sort of business transaction gone bad, or a client lost a lot of money. This theory maybe better explains the house alarms the 2 times leading up to his death. He was possibly being harrassed by a client. Maybe the client goes to the office looking for him and that is when he gets the call to get his a$$ over there ASAP to explain himself, and when he arrives things go haywire? Could also explain the gag order for the entire company- i am sure people who work there could name clients who visited that day, or people they saw, or if Rey went there first etc. I also think some of the body trauma could have been from him being beaten- broken shins etc.

At any rate, the best friend definitely must know something. Why lawyer up immediately, rather than be there for the grieving wife and to help in the search? That says everything to me

All my own opinions of course...thanks!

Random thoughts - For some reason when I think of his legs, I think maybe he was beaten (like with a baseball cap). I don't I have read of the alarm at home going off, least of all twice. I did read that he was sitting in a truck while his wife was practicing on a track. Two men were spotted, and he ran out of the car towards his wife. That tells me that he feared for both of their lives. Still, none of this makes sense. He's worried for their safety. She goes out of town. Doubt the helicopter theory, doubt the Free Masons were involved. The clues are in why they moved there, what he was doing in his job. Plus if he spent two weeks in fear, and he ran out the door, maybe he trusted the wrong person. (presumably related to the company). Oh, and his hidden notes, .... means nothing to me.

Random thoughts - For some reason when I think of his legs, I think maybe he was beaten (like with a baseball cap). I don't I have read of the alarm at home going off, least of all twice. I did read that he was sitting in a truck while his wife was practicing on a track. Two men were spotted, and he ran out of the car towards his wife. That tells me that he feared for both of their lives. Still, none of this makes sense. He's worried for their safety. She goes out of town. Doubt the helicopter theory, doubt the Free Masons were involved. The clues are in why they moved there, what he was doing in his job. Plus if he spent two weeks in fear, and he ran out the door, maybe he trusted the wrong person. (presumably related to the company). Oh, and his hidden notes, .... means nothing to me.

The burglar alarm was mentioned in the documentary, his wife said that he came out of the house, with a bat (I think she said) and there was terror in his eyes (again, not exact as I cant recall verbatim what she said) - I didn't know about the truck and 2 men were spotted - I agree, seems he was afraid for their safety. I too find the helicopter a little improbable, but not impossible, I suppose it would depend on frequency of helicopters in the area, and time of day. His place of employment does seem to hold suspicion, why would an entire company be asked to sign a 'gag' order, following a suspected suicide? very strange. I haven't really considered the note, did seem a little jumbled, but I do recall the way it was taped to the back of the computer, that is strange if it is just a piece of paper with some ideas/thoughts on imo.

I watched the Unsolved Mysteries episode on this case, and while I don’t have a very strong theory on exactly what happened, I will say I definitely lean away from his death being a suicide. Here are my reasons (none of them being absolute proof of murder, mind you):

- Rey was absolutely terrified of heights. This is the most crucial piece of information, in my opinion. People who commit suicide typically do so in the most quick and/or painless ways possible. They swallow a lot of pills and go to sleep. They turn the car on in the garage and go to sleep. They shoot themselves in the head for a split-second ending. What they most often DON’T do is make the moments leading up to their death as horrifying as possible. Sure people have jumped to their deaths many times. But I doubt they had a gripping fear of heights. And sure, it’s possible Rey was so out of his mind that night and so determined to end it all, that he was able to overcome his fear. But I seriously doubt it.

- The size of the hole in the roof makes no sense to me. Investigators proved that the hole was only wide enough for a grown man (especially one as large as Rey) to fit through going straight in, perpendicular to the ground, with his arms at his side. What are the odds after an 11-story fall that he hit the roof precisely that way? I’m certainly no physics expert, but I would think that with the running speed and long jump required for Rey to launch himself far enough out from that building, that certain forces would have acted on his body enough to make his landing slightly crooked/slanted. I just don’t see how an 11-story fall could leave such a tiny and tidy little hole. Possible, I guess, but I just don’t think probable.

- Like everyone else has noted already, how on earth were both his glasses and cell phone found neatly laid out next to the hole without a single scratch on them? Are we supposed to believe they both were ejected from his body upon impact with the roof and landed neatly next to the hole without a single small scratch? And his flip-flops were apparently also ejected from his feet (or hands, if he for some weird reason jumped while holding them) and also landed on the roof and didn’t go through the hole with Rey? What?!?!?! How does that make any sense? I would genuinely love to hear suggestions from others on here if you have a smart idea of how those items all ended up untouched on the roof.

- Literally everyone in Rey’s life said he was the picture of happiness and had all sorts of plans for their future. Not one person said they saw any sadness or depression EVER in the guy. I know you sometimes hear that from loved ones of suicide victims, and that depressed people often hide their sadness well. But this guy was off-the-charts cheerful, and had never shown one sign of being down or struggling. If he was suicidal, he hid it better than anyone I’ve ever seen.

- Two attempted break-ins of their house within a week of his disappearance are AWFULLY hard to dismiss as pure coincidence. Like with the other points I’ve brought up, the break-ins by themselves technically could be explained away and don’t absolutely rule out suicide. But they’re just one more in the very long line of strange occurrences and coincidences that, when looked at together, really bring the case for suicide into doubt.

- Rey was never seen on any hotel camera on the night he supposedly jumped off the roof to kill himself. Reportedly some cameras, including the one on the rooftop, weren’t working that night. But they supposedly were able to look at footage from several working cameras and never saw him. If he were going to kill himself, would he really go to the trouble of avoiding cameras? Was it just bad luck that his path from hotel entrance to rooftop was filled with broken cameras? Or was he never in that building to begin with?

- Rey was busy working at home on his computer when the call came in from his office, the subject of which was apparently jarring enough to make Rey stop what he was doing, exclaim “oh!”, and run out of the house immediately wearing flip-flops. What’s more likely, that the call pushed Rey over the edge to rush out and commit suicide right the at the building next to his office, or that the person calling from his office persuaded or lured him to that hotel adjacent to his building with “urgent” business info? I know which way I lean there. He definitely got the call from his office, and for some reason that call made him go to the area of his office. Why go there if just to kill himself? I guess temporary insanity/paranoia/manic episode could explain it, but what percentage is that a likelihood? Gotta be pretty low.

- I’ll end with what I consider the other smoking gun that points toward murder and not suicide- Rey’s friend Porter refusing to help law enforcement and not even going to Rey’s memorial or funeral service. The guy is Rey’s lifelong “best friend”, he convinces him to move across the country and work for him as a writer, and then when his friend is found mangled/dead under strange circumstances, the guy flat-out refuses to say a word or offer help to find out what really happened to his friend? And he doesn’t even show up to his funeral? How is that even possible? If your lifelong friend disappeared and was found in that manner, wouldn’t you want to help as much as possible? No contact with his widow, parents, or brother? Nothing? I don’t care if my company had put a gag order on me, I would find a way at the very least to convey my condolences to my best friend’s wife and family. I wouldn’t permanently ignore them for no reason. That is off-the-charts suspicious.

Like I said, I can’t come up with a solid theory based on all of the crazy evidence in this case of what exactly happened to Rey and who (if anyone) else was involved in his death. Even if Rey were pushed from a roof or helicopter or window, I still find that small hole hard to explain. Based on Rey’s extensive traumatic injuries, it does seem like he fell. But where did he fall from? Did he jump? Was he pushed? And what caused the injuries to his shins that weren’t consistent from a fall (according to the ME)? Did a car hit him? Was he tortured before his death? And how did his items get left unscratched on that roof? Did they seemingly defy physics and fall perfectly there without a scratch, or were they planted there. And if so, why?

My gut says his company/work was directly involved in his death. Someone there called him, which made him leave his house and drive there, yet they refuse to cooperate and say who made the call and what the conversation was about. They’re either being over-the-top careful about not getting named in any kind of suit Rey’s family could bring about, or they’re hiding something. Plus, Rey either committed suicide or was murdered one building away from his office. That can’t be coincidence. Even if it was suicide, then Rey’s thinking at the time of his death had to have revolved around something work-related.

I do think Rey was murdered, and it involved people from his work life he knew well (boss, friend, co-workers, angry client). And I think based on what type of company it was, what type of work Rey did, and the fact that the company had been sued before for duplicity, I think money was the motive. Either Rey stumbled upon something illegal he shouldn’t have and knew too much, he refused to participate in something illegal, he threatened to go to the police, or he lost either the company or a client a lot of money.

I feel so sorry for his wife, brother, and mother.

Last edited:
Just to play devil’s advocate and advance a theory in favor of suicide that would explain at least some of my points of curiosity listed above... what do you all think of this theory?

Rey somehow (maybe even through no fault of his own) got mixed up in some shady or even illegal dealings at work.

Imagine a scenario where Porter, Rey, and several others at that office were in the scandal up to their necks. What if Rey got a call that night from one of those people that said something like “we’re in big trouble, the SEC knows all about us”, or “we’re about to lose everything”, or “I think we’re all going to prison”, or better yet “get down here fast, our little plan is falling apart and we need to take action”. That would explain Rey exclaiming “oh!” and running out of the house.

Maybe Rey’s next stop wasn’t the hotel, but instead his office. There, he meets with others involved in the illegal activity. He gets bad news there or doesn’t like the direction things are headed. Maybe he leaves there with the distinct impression he’s headed for financial ruin, loss of job, and/or prison time. His life is transformed in an instant from one of hopefulness and cheer to utter despair. He sees the hotel as he’s walking back to his car and just snaps, deciding that he’s going to end it all to avoid the upcoming judgment and consequences for his actions.

When he jumps, his flip-flops, phone, and glasses all come off mid-air and land on the roof near his point of entry.

When he’s missing, his friend Porter is legitimately worried about him and offers the reward. But once his body is discovered and it’s said he jumped, his company circles the wagons because they don’t want anything about their scandal leaking. Maybe somehow they got lucky and it all blew over without repercussions.

What do you think? Plausible, or too far-fetched?

I still lean heavily toward murder because the above scenario doesn’t explain Rey’s fear of heights, the injuries to his shins, or the mysterious break-ins at his house.

I didnt see the netflix series yet but i did read an article on this case and it sparked my interest.... And now reading everyone's statements i got to say i believe he was murdered to cover some peoples tracks and to throw off suspicion of those said people. What better way to blame someone who is already dead? For a gag order to happen with a suicide is rare... And the note he left is obviously code but who can break it? The best friend... He holds alot more than he can say right now... Hopefully one day itll all come out but there is probably still too much heat for it to...

Alot of you said something about the company and doing illegal business but after he died did anything come about it? Because it would have still happened regardless of his death or not if people were going to go to jail they would have. If he was in fear of his life and his family he wouldnt kill himself to save them.... But he probably would have tried to fix so they would be saved... Everything sounds so staged and perfect.... Thats one thing i cant seem to get around how perfect this all seems to be.

The article i read was about his computer.... While the police had his computer someone called and asked about it and what was the status of it... The article also said they wanted to pick it up. His wife allison did end up getting the computer but that just makes me think there is something hidden on that said computer.... But exactly what.... Who knows? Will we ever know? I think someone else needs to look at that computer.... So many questions too many for a suicide but what better way to keep quiet by calling it a suicide than to investigate a murder....

"Porter Stansberry, who has not spoken publicly about the case since the first days of Rivera’s disappearance, told The Baltimore Sun that he was “shocked and hurt” by the show’s insinuations.

“The reason I’ve never commented about Rey’s death publicly first and foremost is because I never thought there was any mystery about why or how he died,” Stansberry, who runs an investment newsletter business, said in a phone interview."

(full story at link below)

Rey Rivera’s friend, former Baltimore employer pushes back on Netflix’s ‘Unsolved Mysteries'

Hi! A woman who lived at the Belvedere at the time, named Mikita, noted in her journal that night a loud crash that rattled her windows around 10 PM. This was also heard and felt by her boyfriend who was there at the time as well.

2016 article about author Mikita

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/arts/bs-ae-mikita-brottman-20160722-story.html

I've found a new article about this case and it gives some information that wasn't put in the unsolved episode. I don't know why they left it out but it could be another little piece of this puzzle.
'Unsolved Mysteries' Rey Rivera: Why the Helicopter Hole Theory Didn't Work for Investigators

I read this article last night and I can’t stop thinking about the chair they found hanging off the Belvedere! This case is so strange but that minute detail really struck me as way too convenient not to mean something. I wonder where exactly it was located.

Has anyone explored the possibility of RR being chased thru the parking garage and hit by a car? Would the impact of being hit by a car be enough to throw him to where he went thru the roof? The broken leg bones made me question this possibility.
I thought he was allegedly on the roof of a building.

Hey guys! Like many, I have been watching Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix. Rey Rivera's story is especially frustrating because there are so many questions that I want answers to. But first, my theory:

My theory is that the "best friend" (Porter) had something to do with it (OBVIOUSLY). I think that the call that he got was either from Porter or someone that knew him. Porter was the one that was about to commit suicide. This is why he ran out of the house.

That puts him out on the ledge trying to get his friend down. From that point, anything could have happened. This would explain why Porter (being alive) would not want anyone to speak on it.

A couple of questions that I have:
If it was a Condo, has anyone accessed the public property records? (if condos have those)
What about the neighboring businesses, did they have surveillance?

OMG! This is brilliant. I always leaned more towards suicide to be honest but this is the first theory I believe can be true and resulted in Rey's murder. When you get a call of someone who is close to you is willing to commit suicide you drop all of your things and rush to the situation. I experienced it and you don't think about which shoes you wear or if you turn of the lights. It also explains the 'oh sh...' when he was called. I don't think Porter called him but somebody of the office to tell Rey that Porter was standing on the Belvedere Hotel. The only thing I don't now if it was a trap. Was it the intention to get Rey killed of was it an accident?

I can't rule out that Rey fell because I know when you are scared of heights and you come close to the edge you start to shake and you can easily lose your balance. But this theory doesn't match up with how far he landed from the Belvedere Hotel to the lower roof. I thought it was 13 meters.

So the other option is Porter pushed him. But why would he do that? And is it possible to push someone so hard of a building he landed 13 meters away from the building?

So many questions my head tolls.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back