MD MD - Shannon Potter, 13, Baltimore, 3 March 1984

Is there a website out there that shows all the Jane/John Does and the Missing persons that they have been compared to already?

356DFMD_LARGE.jpg

Name: Shannon Lee Potter
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 3, 1984
Location Last Seen: Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 20, 1970
Race: White
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Shannon has scars on her abdomen and near her left eye, surgical scars on her back and buttocks from surgery concerning a cracked pelvis, and split mandible with surgical scars.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: She may have been wearing high khaki boots and a white fur coat.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Shannon Lee Potter lived with her mother in Parkville. She left home one night through a bedroom window, leaving a note. Her family thought she had gone to stay with her father or someone else in the family.

Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Baltimore County Police Department-Unit's Unsolved Case Squad
Agency Contact Person: Detective Bollinger
Agency Phone Number: 410-887-3943 or 410-887-6152
Agency Email: bcopd(at)co.ba.md.us
Agency Case Number: 08E114810

NCIC Case Number: M217369344
NamUs Case Number: 1868
NCMEC Case Number: 601868

Information Source(s)
Namus
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
The Doe Network

LINK:

356DFMD - Shannon Lee Potter

MD - MD - Nancy Clavell, 20, Port Deposit, 4 March 1984

Nancy Clavell went missing the day after Shannon, 31 miles away. I know rationally people suspected Nancy's bf, but if there are other witnesses along the creek that night, maybe they could have seen someone else and provide a description.

Based off the similarities in the disappearances (going missing in the middle of the night), then any suspect in Nancy's case could be a strong suspect in Shannon's case. I wonder if LE in Cecil County and Baltimore County ever explored the possibility of the two cases being related.

Leaving during the night to attend a party sounds plausible. Anything about whether they actually determined she went to a party, were they able to interview people who were there? Any leads?

What did the note she left say?

Was the letter from Orlando definitely from her? What did it say? Was it ever forensically processed?

Did the police determine who she called long distance prior to disappearing? Who? What did those people say about the calls?

There should be numerous people who were interviewed by LE at the time. Has LE considered trying to reinterview any of them?

I know we probably won't get any of these answers, and it's probably too late for answers to these questions to help solve the case now, but there may still be people who have a piece of the puzzle.

It's never too late to come forward and contact law enforcement.

I hate to sound cynical, but was her mother ruled out? Did the mother have a boyfriend living in the home at the time of the disappearance?
Not at all. I came here to see if anyone else thought so. Also looking for Mom or Dad's name. Did anyone see this "Note" or "Post card" from Florida? Did anyone see her at this "party".

Not at all. I came here to see if anyone else thought so. Also looking for Mom or Dad's name. Did anyone see this "Note" or "Post card" from Florida? Did anyone see her at this "party".

Good questions, about the party and the note. I’d hope that the police have the note. It doesn’t sound as though her disappearance got a lot of publicity immediately, so I doubt that anyone would have sent a fake letter from Florida, just for the fun of it.

Shannon Lee Potter
shannon_lee_potter_1.jpg
shannon_lee_potter_2.jpg
potter_shannon_ap.jpg

Shannon, circa 1984; Age-progression to age 48 (circa 2018)

• Missing Since 03/03/1984
  • Missing From Baltimore, Maryland
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 07/20/1970 (50)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description Possibly a white waist-length fur coat and high khaki boots.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Shannon has a scar on her abdomen and a small scar above her left eye. She has previously fractured her pelvis and she has had plastic surgery. Her hair was collar-length at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance

Shannon was last seen in Baltimore, Maryland on March 3, 1984. She resided in the 2300 block of Foster Avenue at the time. She apparently climbed out of her bedroom through a window in the middle of the night and went to attend a party. She has never been heard from again. She left a note behind.

Shannon's parents were separated at the time of her disappearance and she lived with her mother. Her father lived in Mississippi. Shannon was reportedly looking forward to visiting him there that summer, and she seemed happy.

Originally it was believed that Shannon had left of her own accord and gone to stay with her father or another relative, but now she is considered to be missing under suspicious circumstances.

Shannon's mother received a letter from her on March 8, five days after she disappeared; it was postmarked Orlando, Florida. No one has heard from Shannon since then.

Prior to her disappearance, she made several long-distance telephone calls to Florida, Colorado and Mississippi. It is unknown if the calls were related to her disappearance, which remains unsolved. Due to the lack of information in Shannon's case, it is classified as a non-family abduction.
Investigating Agency

• Baltimore County Police Department 410-887-3943
Source Information

I'm guessing they are keeping the contents of the letter a secret for a reason. I've noticed in other cases they have showed such details. If she was pregnant and had implants at 13, I'm guessing her note said who she was with. Hence, a possible suspect?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back