MD MD - Sr. Catherine Cesnik, 26, Baltimore, 7 Nov 1969 "The Keepers"

I have a question for someone who might be an expert. Why do they exhume a body for a crime that is very old? Is it worth going through that process to find answers, even 30, 40, or 50 years later. I don't mean my question to be offensive or anything. Do people ever err on the side of "not going there," after so long?

I don't know why now. I was thinking because LE were supposedly involved that maybe they were waiting for them to all die to not have to face the charges. But the last article i posted states that there is someone still alive that may be involved, not sure if it's LE or not.

I think that no matter how long after the crime it is always important to find who committed it. There can still be relatives and friends that deserve to know what happened, and even if it is so long after that no living relatives exist it is in my opinion morally important to identify the perpetrator. Even if they also are dead.

I am sure that there are many cases that are old where the law enforcement agencies involved have made the choice not to investigate further, even if they say it is an open case. Unfortunately I think that money - or rather the lack of it - is an important factor here. If you can solve one murder with the funds you have, you probably choose the one that happened yesterday as opposed to one that happened years ago.

This is all great news! Thanks for the posts. Sometimes, you become very discouraged, and feel as though you're the only one who cares. Then something like this happens. May we soon know the answers at long last.

Former Priest’s DNA Doesn’t Match DNA From Nun Murder, Police Say

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/05/17/joseph-maskell-sister-cathy/

Maskell is not the first suspect whose DNA has been compared to the crime scene sample. Over the years, Baltimore County PD detectives have developed DNA profiles of about half a dozen suspects and compared them against the crime scene evidence, authorities say. None of these suspects’ profiles have matched.

Police also say the DNA profile from the crime scene evidence was placed into the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System as soon as it was developed, and there have been no matches.

The Keepers a Netflix docu-series about this case comes out tomorrow.

just started watching the netflix show, so far it's intriguing

I'm really enjoying the series!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just finished the Netflix series, so I've come looking for a discussion.
What is everybody's theory about this?.

My Theory:

Cathy Cesnik was about to whistle blow the entire Paedophilia going on.
Rev. A Joseph Maskell and his "friends" planned to frighten Cesnik, threaten her to silence. Beat her a little bit.
But accidentally killed her, as "Father Bob" stated.

People involved with the murder, who were involved in the rapes in the offices =

"Father Bob" (AKA: Billy Schmidt), because Billy and "Skippy" liked to dress up as Nuns and Priests. So Billy was impersonating a Priest when Maskell invited him to "play".

"Edgar Davidson" - Cruising around the school trying to pick up school girls.

"Maskell" - Well documented.

"Skippy" - Billy's friend (maybe lover).

"Unidentified Police officials" - Raped the children, so got rid of evidence alongside Maskell's policeman brother.

1. They all planned to threaten Cesnik.
2. Billy (with his son), and Edgar went to confront Cesnik but they accidentally killed her.
3. Billy shoves his son into his apartment next door, whilst Edgar wraps Sister Cathy Cesnik's body up into the rug.
4. Billy calls his friend "Skippy", to come over and help dispose of the body.
5. Edgar, Billy and Skippy put Cesnik's body into the trunk, whilst Edgar drives to the forest.
6. Skippy distracts Billy's son with shooting, whilst Billy and Edgar handle the body.
7. Billy and Edgar return to their homes covered in blood. Edgar leaves Cesnik's car where it was found by everybody.
8. Involved Police cover up, and "lose" evidence year by year.

What do you guys think?.

I think that Edgar should have his DNA matched against the cigarette buds found in Cesnik's car.
I also think Jean Wehner should be shown a picture of Billy and Skippy, to see if either one of them is "Farther Bob"
She might recognise him then, who knows.

I read the Huff Post article last night and it was very eye-opening (and anger-inducing). I used to live just a few miles from where Cathy Cednik once lived and am very familiar with the whole Baltimore/Landsdowne area. I have friends that once lived on Monumental Ave near where her body was found. I didn't really know about this case until recently. I am hoping to sign back up with Netflix so I can watch The Keepers. The current publicity is just what this case needs. It is a crying shame the amount of evil, corruption, and coverup that existed within both the church and the police force. The men who did this need to be exposed, even if they are dead. For any who are still living, may they answer and pay for the horrible things they did to such innocent people.

I finished episode 3. For some reason I feel more of a coverup from the police than I do the church.

Just watched the first two episodes. Excellent documentary, difficult to watch at times. The girls went through terrible times, awful abuse. This case should be solved.

I am starting episode 3. At times it is very difficult for me to watch. When I hear all the pain and suffering they have endured, I pray that all those who committed these crimes are apprehended and let Justice prevail.

I am 5 episodes in and this is just beyond sad.

The second epsiode was HORRIFICALLY PAINFUL.

The ABUSE of these young ladies at the hand of this Maskell was beyond HEINOUS.

He was a MONSTER.

I thought the story about the son(nephew?) waiting in the apartment while the rug was being carried out made some sense but wasn't Russell home when Cathy went missing? That is the only thing that threw me and didn't believe his story but it very well could be she wasn't home until later.

I thought about the different MO too. My theories are a) this is someone who isnt a serial killer trying to make it look like a random serial killing to mislead researchers on the initial killing. b) accomplices and coverup (like you're saying, two different people). In a time where there was no CSI or NCIS, I could see option a being probable.

My Theory:

Rev. A Joseph Maskell and his "friends" planned to frighten Cesnik, threaten her to silence. Beat her a little bit.

People involved with the murder, who were involved in the rapes in the offices =

"Father Bob" (AKA: Billy Schmidt), because Billy and "Skippy" liked to dress up as Nuns and Priests. So Billy was impersonating a Priest when Maskell invited him to "play".

"Unidentified Police officials" - Raped the children, so got rid of evidence alongside Maskell's policeman brother.

2. Billy (with his son), and Edgar went to confront Cesnik but they accidentally killed her.
3. Billy shoves his son into his apartment next door, whilst Edgar wraps Sister Cathy Cesnik's body up into the rug.
5. Edgar, Billy and Skippy put Cesnik's body into the trunk, whilst Edgar drives to the forest.
6. Skippy distracts Billy's son with shooting, whilst Billy and Edgar handle the body.
7. Billy and Edgar return to their homes covered in blood. Edgar leaves Cesnik's car where it was found by everybody.

What do you guys think?.

I think that Edgar should have his DNA matched against the cigarette buds found in Cesnik's car.
I also think Jean Wehner should be shown a picture of Billy and Skippy, to see if either one of them is "Farther Bob"

Just a small correction, it wasn't Billy's son but his nephew that was there at the time (according to his story).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Theory:

What do you guys think?.

Although I agree with a lot of this theory, i.e several accomplices, a huge cover-up, and people withholding information - I believe these were Sister Russell and even Gerry had me raising my eyebrows a few times - it also has a lot of inaccuracies.

Firstly, Cesnik was about to blow the whistle that's for sure but I don't think even she knew the extent of what she was exposing. This is clearly a much wider child sex ring that operated within different institutes and Maskell was the tip of the iceberg. We clearly see how far this gang reached from victims stating they'd been abused by police officers, to the horrendous disciplinary "actions" of the church, to the disappearance of key evidence (the letter Cathy sent to Marilyn and the photographs Deep Throat said he saw). Child sex rings are often riddled with people in powerful positions and those who have authority and it's because they are pretty confident they can get away with it.

Now back to your theory, when you are in a "gang" you can count on the other members. So yes, I also believe Maskell rang the alarm about Cathy because she's not some teenager you can intimidate into keeping quiet - something I think they realised when he and Magnus went to threaten her the night before she disappeared. The reason she was such a threat is because it was the first time a complaint was made to someone outside of the "circle." When the mother complained to the Archdiocese in 67 about Maskell at St.Clements, she was essentially complaining to the perpetrator. But Jean confided in someone outside of that protective circle, they didn't have anything on Cathy and she didn't owe them anything. I think Maskell raised the alarm to Brother Bob or someone else, and was aware of but didn't kill Cathy Cesnik. His DNA didn't match either.

I don't agree with Billy Schmidt being 'Brother Bob' because the characteristics described by Jean and by Billy's sister-in-law don't match. Also I don't see why Billy would have the desire to rape young girls when he's gay. The troubled and haunted Billy who finally comitted suicide cannot also be the eery Brother Bob who confidently says to Jean that he killed Cathy. I just don't find that link to be plausible. I actually think Skippy (whoever he may be) is a more likely match to Brother Bob. An explanation could be that Billy, Skippy's lover, got dragged into something he wasn't prepared for by a man who took advantage of the feelings Billy held for him.

Billy didn't have a son, it was his nephew Brian. And I'm not sure if I am 100% convinced from his accounts. I don't see why Billy would have him over that night, but let's say I do - we'd have to accept the possibility that Cathy was killed at home (which is possible as I read an account that said witnesses saw her car parked in its space at 8:30pm - so maybe she made it home) But then, where was Sister Russell? And we know that she died from blunt trauma to the skull - where was the blood?

Let's say Brian's memory is what really happened; there was only 3 people in Brian's account - Billy, Skippy and his Uncle Bobbie who was the one that kept him occupied, not Edgar. Maybe Billy or Uncle Bobbie suggested where to take the body seeing as they knew the area Cathy was found.

I think it is possible that Edgar is Skippy (and also Brother Bob), he seems to be the disturbing person that Jean remembers - he gifts his wife the necklace, smirks at the tv reports, also tried to choke his wife while saying he could make himself believe he had nothing to do with it, and finally, he was arrested for trying to pick up young girls in a stolen car. The interviews with him also were very creepy, he'd admit things and then completely contradict it one second later. In my opinion, he was afraid of giving himself away. What I saw was a man who was embodying the toll that such a crime and incidents surrounding it can do to a person. Maskell and that whole gang, the abuse, the murder, Billy's suicide and then all the things we will probably never know - maybe I'm reaching but I felt his eyes and body language gave a lot away.

Having only watched the docu, I would say I think Edgar was the one who physically killed Cathy but he couldn't have done it alone and I don't think it was his idea. And maybe Billy was the one who helped him either knowingly or naively. But realistically, it could have easily been any one of the suspects - I mean even Gerry's story had holes in it!

However, one thing that is harrowing is that in an article Deep Throat stated that once, a superior called him and said "This is a career buster. We knew who the hell killed her back when it happened, you'll find out and you'll find out things you shouldn't, let it go."

That makes me think the murder was premeditated, it wasn't a threat gone wrong, Maskell and Magnus already tried to threaten her the night before. They failed and so it was passed to someone else to take care of (Maskell and Magnus worked with her, they had motives so it would be illogical for them to do it). They wanted (needed) to get rid of the threat she posed permanently because they knew they couldn't silence her - and the one who covered it up is sitting in very high places (and their number one reason is to protect themselves and their powerful friends).

It's very sinister. Solving this case would expose something much bigger, something we already know, but has never been named and shamed officially - crimes that no-one has served any time for. And with that painful truth in mind, I don't think it will or can ever be solved, it would be like asking a turkey to pray for Christmas: they just won't do it.

Watched the entire documentary. Harrowing. Took long breaks between episodes b/c the series became unbearable at times.

Regarding the old man Edgar (Dave, I thought)
--All those toys in the house. He's a pedophile for sure.
--Although he had quick answers for things he expected, like pics of Maskell,
--He got reticent when shown the necklace. You could see him thinking, do they have anything on me?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back