MD MD - Upper Marlboro, WhtMale 15-20, UP4833, initials 'ELT' on jacket, Dec'73

Poor boy.

I wonder if he was a "throwaway" child, kicked out of his home for being gay or not religious or any of the other things rigid families throw children out for.

He looks a lot like my Jewish husband did at that age.

He looks a lot like my Jewish husband did at that age.

Could he be a young immigrant traveling alone, coming from a ship with TB?

Indeed, I've wondered those things myself. :( The poor boy... he looks like he didn't have a soul in the world to take care of him. I can't get his face out of my mind. What tragic back story he had, one can only speculate. He very well could have come from an immigrant background. Central Maryland is a very international place due to its proximity to Washington, DC.

Would a minor have arrived in the U.S. alone? He does look as though he were ill, either that or just really in bad shape physically. I'm sorry, but it looks like someone roughed him up in the photo. :( Others here mentioned a possible link to a now-closed psychiatric ward or drug rehabilitation center that had some insidious history to it. I'm not ruling out any possibilities.

He has remained unidentified for 46 years.

In 1973, the area in Prince Georges County, Maryland (where he was found) was still quite rural. Upper Marlboro is the county seat, but a relatively small town and there were no other towns or villages close to his location.

Even today, that area where Route 4 (it becomes Pennsylvania Ave in DC) and the exit area where his body was found is rather remote. It was not the sort of place where a hitch hiker would want to get off, or where a person would intentionally want to spend a December night.

As I have suggested in earlier posts, it is quite possible that this boy had been placed in the Cheltenham Boys Village for some reason such as Delinquency, Homelessness, Truancy, etc. and that he simply ran away from there. He might not have known where he was or where he was going when he arrived at Route 4. Being sick, he probably died of exposure or Pneumonia while sleeping in the open.

The scuff marks or abrasions on his face could have been put there by a beating administered by staff or other inmates at Boys Village - and that could have been his motivation for running away FROM there - rather than a well thought out plan to get TO some where.

Boys Village has been in existence for many years (both before and after 1973). At the time, there were no fences or guards as there are today, and it might have been possible for a boy to run away. The remoteness of the place, however, was what kept most boys there.

There was/is a constant turnover of boys and it might have been possible for one to "slip thru the cracks". If his name appeared on a roster and he was not present at a roll call, there might have been any number of "assumptions" by staff as to why he was absent: at sick call, being counseled, in court, transferred to another facility, picked up by parents, etc, etc.

The boy COULD have come from anywhere, but the fact that he was so thinly dressed for December weather, and had no money or identification on him might mean that he had been at Cheltenham boys village - which was the nearest facility of any kind at the time. When a boy would enter Cheltenham, all of his personal property would be taken from him, along with his belt and shoe laces.

Last edited:

Prince George's County John Doe

Sex
Male
Race White
Location Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Found December 6, 1973
Unidentified for 46 years
Postmortem interval Hours
Body condition Recognizable face
Age approximation 15 - 20
Height approximation 5'
Weight approximation 105 pounds
Cause of death Not stated

Prince George's County John Doe was a young man found deceased in Maryland in 1973.

The word "Shalom" was crudely written on his jeans.

LINK:
Prince George's County John Doe (1973)

Hi @UnlicencedPI I saw you posted on the boy village forum. Did you ever get a response from somebody?

I was certain that I posted this a few days ago! :confused:
Now I can’t find the Doc I created with all the info...

I can’t explain any of the discrepancies, but the resemblance here is hard to ignore. Anyone else have a theory on this one? (I apologize for interrupting the discussion, I just now came across the side by side in my photos and noticed I hadn’t posted)

John Patrick Deeny – The Charley Project

08EA88C3-7847-4E5B-90F0-F2FA4C4498FF.jpeg 84B38986-582E-4EE5-A9D3-F566513334B4.jpeg C314588E-532B-4DC2-9676-68DDE0700AE7.jpeg

Attachments

• 810D89EB-9CA4-4F4D-847E-829D3452A346.jpeg
    810D89EB-9CA4-4F4D-847E-829D3452A346.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 52FCB2C7-09F8-4235-A074-565D0EDFAD95.jpeg
    52FCB2C7-09F8-4235-A074-565D0EDFAD95.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21

I can’t explain any of the discrepancies, but the resemblance here is hard to ignore. Anyone else have a theory on this one? (I apologize for interrupting the discussion, I just now came across the side by side in my photos and noticed I hadn’t posted)

John Patrick Deeny – The Charley Project

View attachment 223276 View attachment 223275 View attachment 223274

Thanks MadMcGoo, he so much heigher 5'8 John Doe 5'

He has remained unidentified for 46 years.

In 1973, the area in Prince Georges County, Maryland (where he was found) was still quite rural. Upper Marlboro is the county seat, but a relatively small town and there were no other towns or villages close to his location.

Even today, that area where Route 4 (it becomes Pennsylvania Ave in DC) and the exit area where his body was found is rather remote. It was not the sort of place where a hitch hiker would want to get off, or where a person would intentionally want to spend a December night.

As I have suggested in earlier posts, it is quite possible that this boy had been placed in the Cheltenham Boys Village for some reason such as Delinquency, Homelessness, Truancy, etc. and that he simply ran away from there. He might not have known where he was or where he was going when he arrived at Route 4. Being sick, he probably died of exposure or Pneumonia while sleeping in the open.

The scuff marks or abrasions on his face could have been put there by a beating administered by staff or other inmates at Boys Village - and that could have been his motivation for running away FROM there - rather than a well thought out plan to get TO some where.

Boys Village has been in existence for many years (both before and after 1973). At the time, there were no fences or guards as there are today, and it might have been possible for a boy to run away. The remoteness of the place, however, was what kept most boys there.

There was/is a constant turnover of boys and it might have been possible for one to "slip thru the cracks". If his name appeared on a roster and he was not present at a roll call, there might have been any number of "assumptions" by staff as to why he was absent: at sick call, being counseled, in court, transferred to another facility, picked up by parents, etc, etc.

The boy COULD have come from anywhere, but the fact that he was so thinly dressed for December weather, and had no money or identification on him might mean that he had been at Cheltenham boys village - which was the nearest facility of any kind at the time. When a boy would enter Cheltenham, all of his personal property would be taken from him, along with his belt and shoe laces.

I have to say that I agree with all of this. It seems the most logical theory of why he was found where he was. In that era, corporeal punishment was not frowned upon, especially if a child was considered a delinquent or uncontrollable. I've been theorizing this same scenario.

Here is more info on John Patrick Deeny:
NAT_20652_1.jpg

Missing
Last seen alive: March 20, 1973
Circumstances: John left his residence in Janesville and was not heard from again.
First Name: John
Middle Name: Patrick
Last Name: Deeny
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 19
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 68.0 (5 ft 8 in)
Weight: 175.0 (pounds)
State: Minnesota
County: Le Sueur
Appearance
Hair: Brown
Eye: Unknown or Missing
Scars And Marks: Surgery scar on thighs from surgery as an infant

Source:
John Patrick Deeny - Minnesota Missing Person Directory

Thank you @Richard ! What are your thoughts on John being this UID? There’s so little information about him unfortunately. :(

Thank you @Richard ! What are your thoughts on John being this UID? There’s so little information about him unfortunately. :(

I hesitate to speculate regarding a positive match. There is indeed some facial similarity, but there is a big discrepancy in reported height and weight.

That said, I have seen several past instances where the wrong data some how became part of a file and the mistake did not become known until eventual identification proved it wrong.

It is certainly worth passing this possible match on for further research.

The fact that this unidentified boy has never been connected locally with any missing persons might indicate that he was from out of state.

I'm leaning to the theory this boy was at some kind of institution. Richard's theory that he could be from the Boy Village and his explanation sound very plausible. I agree, this boy was not going somewhere, he was running from somewhere.

OT but related to the Boy's Village. An interesting read about the grounds and the history of Boy's Village Cemetry:
http://www.mncppcapps.org/planning/...9 Boy's Village of Maryland Cemetery MIHP.pdf

This is the Boy's Village cemetery...no idea how many boys are buried there....only four old markers where found.
Boy's Village of Maryland Cemetery in Cheltenham, Maryland - Find A Grave Cemetery
CEM2454348_134039245806.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back