MD MD - Wayside, near Mt Victoria, WhtFem 40-60, UP14979, gallbladder & liver disease, Jan'65

Bumping case up. Still unidentified and still unsolved 47 years later.

I have often wondered why a lawyer would be out "fox hunting" in the woods - on horseback -alone - in the afternoon - in January. None of it makes any sense.

Fox hunters usually ride in groups in the autumn months, following packs of dogs. And almost always in the early morning. The preferred place to ride is in open fields - not through wooded areas where a branch can de-horse you.

A couple of observations, Richard.

I would guess Parman was tried in federal court because he killed a federal employee. We saw this recently with Jared Lee Loughner in the Gabrielle Giffords shooting.

When we think of cirrhosis we think of chronic alcoholism, but there are several (somewhat rare) genetic conditions i.e. bilary atresia, Alagille's syndrome, that can cause cirrhosis. The only reason I mention it is that 1) I'm not sure how much if anything was known about these conditions in 1965, and 2) these patients usually have small build and distinct facial features (broad forehead and small pointed chin). Of course it's more likely that alcoholism was the cause, but it may be worth looking at women who display these features also, just because we have so little to go on. For some more severely affected persons, the condition is fatal, while some people live long lives with few, if any symptoms, and may not even know they have it. These are dominant genetic conditions, so if a parent has it there is a 50% chance the child will also.

Long shot, but hey, what isn't at this point??

Cause of Death...

It is puzzling why the state medical examiner would have reached a conclusion that the cause of death was cirrhosis of the liver.

This woman was found face down in the woods, 200 yards from the nearest road. She was wearing only underwear and was partially buried with leaves. Police who investigated thought that she had suffered from facial injuries, and felt that she was murdered elsewhere and her body dumped where she was later found.

I can understand that she may have had cirrhosis, and that it may have been in an advanced state, but the ME had to ignore a lot of other evidence to arrive at his conclusion that it was the cirrhosis that killed her.

If she had suffered from cirrhosis for a long time, why did no one in the area know her and come forward to identify her? Why did no hospital or doctor recognize her as a patient?

Mount Victoria Owners...

The 1965 owners of the house and large tract of land known as Mount Victoria were Mr. and Mrs. Bennett Crain.

At Mount Victoria, they hosted a local fox hunting club which was called the Wicomico Hunt Club for various hunts, meets, horse races, and social get-togethers.

President of the Wicomico Hunt Club at the time was Mr. Maurice Flinn.

Harry Taylor, who discovered the body was an active member of Wicomico Hunt Club. Taylor later held the title of "Master of Foxhounds" with the Hunt Club. This may have been simply an honorary title, as there is no evidence that he ever owned or trained dogs personally. He attended a lot of social events, including hunt club gatherings.

Taylor was a former member of the Maryland House of Delagates (the state legislature) and he was a practicing lawyer who lived in Brandywine, Maryland at the time. Brandywine in Prince Georges County is about a 45 minute drive to Mount Victoria in Charles County.

It is interesting, however, that on the day in question - a Wednesday - Taylor seemed to be riding alone when he came across this woman's body buried under the leaves in a wooded area. It was mid January and the days were short and cold. Why would he have been away from his law office in the middle of a week day to be out riding his horse alone?

Origionally the sheriff and his deputies had estimated that the woman had died "several weeks" before her discovery. Later, it was reported that death had taken place about 3 weeks before she was found. It was also reported that the body was so badly decomposed that fingerprints could not be taken. In light of the cold January weather, it would seem probable that the body had been there for more than just three weeks to have decomposed so badly.

If Taylor regularly rode his horse at Mount Victoria, why had he not found this woman on some earlier ride? Certainly, if he had actually been running hounds they might have found her. But there is no reference to him having a dog with him that day. Fox hunting on horseback is usually a group activity involving more than one horseman. Why was he out solo?

If Taylor regularly rode his horse at Mount Victoria, why had he not found this woman on some earlier ride? Certainly, if he had actually been running hounds they might have found her. But there is no reference to him having a dog with him that day. Fox hunting on horseback is usually a group activity involving more than one horseman. Why was he out solo?

How do you know he was out alone? He could have been the one to find the body even if there were other people accompanying him on the ride.

I am not able to see it as suspicious in any way that he didn't find the body before without knowing if he frequently rode along the same exact route, if the body had been covered by snow, etc.

Horse people go out whenever they can get the chance. If he's going to ride in a wooded area in January, it makes sense that he'd prefer the middle of the day, when it's warmer and he can see where he's going. At that level of affluence, taking a Wednesday afternoon off is unlikely to be an issue...

If the body was under leaves and snow, it wouldn't surprise me if he rode right past it multiple times without noticing.

It would be interesting to know more about this case. Why did J. Edgar Hoover get personally involved? And why was he so quickly put on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List? It seems fairly obvious that Parman was known to the FBI before January 1965. Why is he in a Federal Prison, rather than a Washington, DC prison if he was tried for a locally committed murder?

This is an interesting piece on Parman's murder of Cary and the circumstances: http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/P%20Disk/Parman%20Walter/Item%2001.pdf Although I can't tell from this whether Parman's assertions of an "undisclosed Washington assignment" were ever verified, I'm not surprised the FBI investigated this--especially as Ms. Cary worked for the Bureau of Intelligence and Research within the State Department.

Mount Victoria is located in the southern part of Charles County, Maryland not far from the bridge over the Potomac into Virginia.

The newspaper reports of the time stated that the Sheriff of Charles County said she did not fit the description of anyone reported missing in his county. I wonder if she might have been a missing person from Virginia.

I posted about Walter Parman earlier because he is known to have murdered a woman in Washington, DC around the same time as Mount Victoria Jane Doe was thought to have been killed. I do not know if he was in any way connected with Mount Victoria, the hunt club, or anyone in Charles County, but the similarities of the deaths and his subsequent flight from justice on two separate occasions raise questions. I doubt that Parman simply killed Ms. Cary because their date went bad. It is interesting that two murders so close together in time and location were dealt with so differently. One was only looked into by county authorities and forgotten, while the other became a Federal Case involving the FBI and their Ten Most Wanted list.

While it is quite possible that the Foxhunter was simply out riding and accidentally came across the dead woman, I wonder how closely the Sheriff and his three deputies questioned him. It is possible that the discovery was staged.

Charles County Sheriff office had jurisdiction over this case, and yet today, they have no record or file of it. All of the news articles which I posted earlier came from a scrap book kept by the man who discovered the body.

Mount Victoria is located in the southern part of Charles County, Maryland not far from the bridge over the Potomac into Virginia.

The newspaper reports of the time stated that the Sheriff of Charles County said she did not fit the description of anyone reported missing in his county. I wonder if she might have been a missing person from Virginia.

I posted about Walter Parman earlier because he is known to have murdered a woman in Washington, DC around the same time as Mount Victoria Jane Doe was thought to have been killed. I do not know if he was in any way connected with Mount Victoria, the hunt club, or anyone in Charles County, but the similarities of the deaths and his subsequent flight from justice on two separate occasions raise questions. I doubt that Parman simply killed Ms. Cary because their date went bad. It is interesting that two murders so close together in time and location were dealt with so differently. One was only looked into by county authorities and forgotten, while the other became a Federal Case involving the FBI and their Ten Most Wanted list.

While it is quite possible that the Foxhunter was simply out riding and accidentally came across the dead woman, I wonder how closely the Sheriff and his three deputies questioned him. It is possible that the discovery was staged.

Charles County Sheriff office had jurisdiction over this case, and yet today, they have no record or file of it. All of the news articles which I posted earlier came from a scrap book kept by the man who discovered the body.

The evidence against Parman is certainly suggestive, and there's clearly a coverup, though from all the articles and so forth that you've presented, it's hard to say whether it's more than just, "Somebody's nasty crime spilled over into our pristine community and of course it has nothing to do with us." That might also be protecting a murderer, but it might not be on behalf of any particular person. There are certainly enough rich respectable people in Charles County.

Bumping this unsolved case up. This January will mark 50 years since this woman's body was discovered. She remains unidentified.

It is now the 50 year anniversary of the discovery of this unidentified woman's body. The case has never been solved.

Bumping case up. There seems to be quite a bit of information, but no answers...

I was not able to find much more information on this case beyond the newspaper articles that I quoted early on. The Charles County (Maryland) Sheriff Office had the responsibility and jurisdiction but seemed to have no information.

I was unable to locate the body, death certificate, or autopsy report, but they probably exist somewhere.

Of course, this case dates back to January 1965 - long before the internet. It just seems a shame that she has never been identified.

Bumping. It will soon be 54 years since this woman died and was left in the wooded area in Charles County, Maryland. She remains unidentified.

Mount Victoria Jane Doe is in both DoeNetwork and NamUs now.

DoeNetwork:

CASE NUMBER - 1122UFMD
No_Image_Available_female.jpg

Date of Discovery: January 27, 1965
Location of Discovery: Wayside, Charles County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: 1964 to 1965
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 40-60 years
Race: White
Height: 5'1", Measured
Weight: 113 lbs, Estimated
Hair Color: Brown; dark brown, streaked with gray
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: The subject may have had a history of alcohol abuse as there was evidence of disease of the gallbladder and liver.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: White Slip, Pink Panties, Brown Hose (nylons).
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's body was discovered by a hunter approximately 200 yards from Mill Run Road, near the villages of Mount Victoria and Wayside, Maryland. She was found face down and had been covered with leaves. She appeared to have suffered facial trauma.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 410-333-3225
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 56889

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 14979

-----------------

NamUs:

Unidentified Person Case
#UP14979
Female, White / Caucasian
Date Found: January 27, 1965
Location Found: Wayside, Maryland
Estimated Age Range: 40-60 Years

Street Address: Wayside Marsh LandWayside, Maryland
County: Charles County

Circumstances of Recovery: The decedent, who may have had a history of alcohol abuse, was found in a wooded area near an old logging road.

Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains: One or more limbs not recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description

Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: Dark brown hair streaked with gray hair
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --
Left Eye Color: Unknown or Missing
Right Eye Color: Unknown or Missing
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features

No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing
1. White Slip
2. Pink Panties
3. Brown Hose (nylons)
On the Body

Bumping this case up again. It was approximately 55 years ago that this woman died. From the description of her being only partially clothed, the remote location of the body, and possible trauma to her face, it seems likely that this was a homicide. She remains unidentified, and the crime unsolved.

The identity of the Mount Victoria Jane Doe has never been established. Nor have specifics regarding who killed her or where she was murdered. Her body was found dumped in the woods on a rural southern Maryland estate, dressed only in underwear and covered with leaves.

Walter Lee Parman has been discussed in this thread because he was tried and convicted of a similar murder in Washington DC about the same timeframe. In his defense, he tried to plea insanity, which is in a sense an admission of having committed the murder of Shirley Ann Cary on 9 January 1965, but not being mentally responsible for it.

Parman was a particularly intelligent person who filed an appeal to his sentence which failed. Here is a rather long but informative ruling on that appeal:

Walter Lee Parman, Appellant, v. United States of America, Appellee, 399 F.2d 559 (D.C. Cir. 1968)

Parman seems to have been a master forger with an active imagination as seen by his 1972 story involving a cast of CIA and Union officials woven into facts of the murder case for which he was convicted:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/P Disk/Parman Walter/Item 01.pdf

Later that year, he managed to escape from Lorton Prison and remained free under an assumed identity for the next 12 years. Here is a People Magazine article which discusses his 1984 re-arrest:

His Grisly Past Unveiled, Silicon Valley's Mr. Nice Guy Is Identified as An Escaped Killer

By William Plummer
June 25, 1984 12:00 PM

Mavis Noble sobbed as she recalled visiting her husband in the San Francisco County Jail two days after his arrest. “This isn’t a place for you,” he said to her. Replied Mavis, “This isn’t a place for you either.” Separated by a glass partition and speaking through a jailhouse phone, he urged her to “get a divorce and forget me.” But Mavis cried, “How can I forget somebody who has been so good to me? I’m not going to divorce Mike Noble. And I wasn’t married to Walter Parman.”

The tragedy is that Mavis Noble, 51, was married to Parman and, up until two weeks ago, did not know it. “Mike Noble” was a fictitious identity concocted by her husband of almost six years to conceal a dreadful secret...

... He might have fooled others, but Walter Parman was haunted by his past. Born in the Philippines, Parman was 5 when his family moved to Cincinnati. Orphaned at 12, he was shunted to a foster home. Beginning a lifelong pattern of flight, he soon ran away and was twice jailed for passing bad checks. He enlisted in the Air Force, but says he was drummed out about a year later when his fraud convictions became known.

Parman says he hastily married his pregnant girlfriend, Sherron Kluz, in Providence, R.I. in 1961 and moved to the Minneapolis area. Though he describes the marriage as “unhappy,” he claims to have become depressed over the couple’s 1964 breakup and his separation from his two baby daughters. “I left and was shaking so bad, I downed a bottle of whiskey and passed out in a motel room.”

Two weeks later, on Jan. 9, 1965, the despondent Parman met secretary Shirley Ann Cary in a Washington, D.C. bar and graduated to murder. He says he came to his senses about 48 hours later in Youngstown, Ohio. “I was trying to piece together what had happened. I was reading the newspapers, saw that I was wanted for the crime, got scared and ran.” Three weeks after the crime Parman was arrested in Los Angeles. Tried in Washington, D.C., he claimed innocence by reason of insanity. The jury didn’t buy it....

Full article at Link:

Mr. Nice Guy

Parman had given a long complicated tale of intrigue to a reporter in 1972 about his reason for being in Washington DC in December 1964- January 1965.
However, creative liar that he was, Parman's own stories place him in a despondent state in Washington DC at the same time that Mount Victoria Jane Doe was likely murdered.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle