MD MD - Woodstock, WhtFem 35-60, UP11923, found alive/injured in a field, died Sep'71, Jul'71

This Jane Doe's NamUs profile was modified on 8/28/23.
Still no rule outs listed.

I really think she is Shirley Frew - still not on rule out lists
I know someone submitted this before but I am wondering if she was ruled out.

1693313159563.png1693313182853.png
Info about Shirley found on her Granddaughter's Blog Searching for Shirley Elizabeth Frew: In Search of My Missing Grandmother

Shirley's Physical characteristics:

Shirley 5'2" tall - Jane Doe was measured at 5'0
Shirley 105 lbs. Jane Doe was 86lbs
Eyes: blue Jane doe -listed Brown or Blue
Hair: gray or graying (at birth -- dark brown) - Jane Doe Graying
Caucasian

False teeth - -Jane Doe obviously has false teeth just by looking at her picture
Deep scar on one shin
Possible appendectomy and hysterectomy - Jane Doe - Her right ovary and tube had been surgically removed.
Long slender nose - Jane Doe She had a hump in the midsection of her nose - I think the noses look close
Small boned

Dental and medical records unknown
Fingerprints taken: Possibly in Seattle and maybe LA
No tattoos

Last time anyone heard from her: October 1969 - She talked to her daughter, was drunk, and said she was going with her new boyfriend to a state that started with an M for a visit. The last time she talked to her mother, she asked for money to see a doctor because she thought she was dying of cirrhosis of the liver.

So I went ahead and emailed The Howard County Police (where the Jane Doe was found) and I received a response back.

Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your email. I was wondering if you spoke to anyone else about your cares and concerns about Shirley Frew possibly being our 1971 Jane Doe?

The reason why I ask is because I talked to someone else yesterday about the possibility of Frew being compared to our 1971 Jane Doe. This was yesterday morning. Yesterday prior to receiving your email, I requested through NAMUS that the FBI compare both set of fingerprints.

If you didn’t talk to anyone about Frew and our 1971 Jane Doe then that’s unexplainable. WOW!

Thank you for reaching out and contacting us. I can let you know the results when they come in.

So someone else reached out also about the possible match. Pretty cool… I hope we find out soon if this is a match or not. I know someone else above suggested it years back but wasn’t sure if it was turned in.

Sounds like they are all over it. That’s good news. Can’t wait to hear the results.
Me too! As soon as I hear back from the investigator, I will post. I thought maybe it was a long shot since she was last seen in CA, but a lot of the characteristics lined up, along with her telling family that she was going to a state that started with the letter “M”

The UID does resemble her a lot.
The date of last contact though is quite far away from when the UID was found. But it is possible she lived a transient lifestyle with her new boyfriend who possibly also was alcoholic and they fell so deeply into alcoholism that she was unable to call her loved ones. Maybe the bf estranged her from her kids after they did not give them the money she requested. The bf may have wanted that money to buy alcohol for himself or even shirley may. Cirrhosis is not treateable i think other than through stopping to drink, so requesting money for a doctor sounds a bit off.

Bringing this forward from post #30 by kat913:

“Received a response "I will reach out to the LE working the Shirley FREW case and they will look into this match.

Thank you for your submission! Have a great day”

FWIW, just wanted to mention this possible match had been submitted previously in 2017, but never heard back. Looking forward to any updates!

Last edited:
Bringing this forward from post #30 by kat913:

“Received a response "I will reach out to the LE working the Shirley FREW case and they will look into this match.

Thank you for your submission! Have a great day”

FWIW, just wanted to mention this possible match had been submitted previously in 2017, but never heard back. Looking forward to any updates!
Yes, I did know about someone turning it in before, but I was on my phone last night posting, so I didn't go back to quote it. (it's easier to do from my work computer lol) Thank you so much and I hope we hear back soon.

Okay I saw this other picture of Shirley on her NamUs Profile (saying that pic is from 1947) and I can''t get over how much she does look like the Jane doe. Is it just me?

View attachment 443780View attachment 443781
It's not just you. I wish we could see detail of Shirley's ears in the NamUs photo, though. Ears are often more uniquely identifiable than facial features.

MOO

It's not just you. I wish we could see detail of Shirley's ears in the NamUs photo, though. Ears are often more uniquely identifiable than facial features.

MOO
I know, I thought the same thing.
It makes me sad if this Jane Doe is actually Shirley, and it was turned in back in 2017, and it was never actually compared, it could have been solved a long time ago.
The Investigator in Maryland was the one who got back to me yesterday, he said someone reached out to him on Monday, but it was like the first time he heard about this possible match.

Two random thoughts— I used to explore in this area. There used to be a state hospital, Henryton Hospital in the next town over, Marriottsville which according to google is 4 miles from Woodstock. The hospital started as a TB sanitarium and then was repurposed as a home for developmentally disabled adults. The facility closed in 1985 and later demolished.

Could she have been a patient at the hospital?

“In 1963 the sanatorium became Henryton State Hospital Center, serving developmentally disabled adults. Enrollment declined as therapy shifted to outpatient and home care. The facility closed in 1985.”

I will try to post a map later.

Also near the area was a B and O railway station though I’m not sure when it closed. It was later converted to the Woodstock Inn which is a restaurant: biker bar.

There were also granite quarries in the area as well as streams and a tunnel associated with Henryton.
Just some interesting info about the area.

Two random thoughts— I used to explore in this area. There used to be a state hospital, Henryton Hospital in the next town over, Marriottsville which according to google is 4 miles from Woodstock. The hospital started as a TB sanitarium and then was repurposed as a home for developmentally disabled adults. The facility closed in 1985 and later demolished.

Could she have been a patient at the hospital?

“In 1963 the sanatorium became Henryton State Hospital Center, serving developmentally disabled adults. Enrollment declined as therapy shifted to outpatient and home care. The facility closed in 1985.”

I will try to post a map later.

Also near the area was a B and O railway station though I’m not sure when it closed. It was later converted to the Woodstock Inn which is a restaurant: biker bar.

There were also granite quarries in the area as well as streams and a tunnel associated with Henryton.
Just some interesting info about the area.
Wow that's good to know. Very well could have been a patient of the hospital.
I would drive kind of thru that area (not exactly) on my short cut to Ocean City MD (to avoid DC traffic) I think headed toward Baltimore on 70 I would see signs for Howard County Fair - so I am guessing I was in a somewhat close proximity of where the Jane Doe was found?

Wow that's good to know. Very well could have been a patient of the hospital.
I would drive kind of thru that area (not exactly) on my short cut to Ocean City MD (to avoid DC traffic) I think headed toward Baltimore on 70 I would see signs for Howard County Fair - so I am guessing I was in a somewhat close proximity of where the Jane Doe was found?

Yes Woodstock is north of Rte 70. There is also Bon Secours Retreat Center run by an order of nuns that is along the same road to Henryton. It’s hard to find a current map with Henryton on it, as they wanted to keep vandals away and not make it easy to find.

I will try to find and post a map later.

Last edited:
Here is a map that shows the intersection of Rte 99 and Woodstock Rd with Woodstock Inn to the north. I believe the victim was found in a field near what is now marked as “snowball stand” at corner of Rte 99 and Woodstock Rd. If you travel West on 99 from that intersection, the first major intersection is Marriottsville Rd. (Theos nails) Travel north (right) over the river and first left is Henryton Rd, where the hospital used to be.

Though wouldn’t the investigators at the time have checked there, or she would have been reported missing? Maybe a recent discharge from the hospital?

This location is also close to Interstate 70 as noted by chaddylex and might have been used as a drop off location.

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 4.51.54 PM.png

I just heard back from the Howard County Major Crimes Bureau about the possible match between this Jane Doe and Shirley Frew

Good Morning:

FBI issued an exclusion in NamUs today. No match!

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing us that information.

I just heard back from the Howard County Major Crimes Bureau about the possible match between this Jane Doe and Shirley Frew

Good Morning:

FBI issued an exclusion in NamUs today. No match!

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing us that information.
Well, it's great that she's been definitively ruled out as Shirley, because there really was a strong resemblance, and it needed to be confirmed one way or the other. Onwards and upwards!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back