Identified! ME - Jonesport, Wht/OtherMale 60-65, UP15307, in ocean, clothes, watch, Jul'00 - Philip Kahn

according to this site Vessels Database (uscg.gov) the owner of the vessel is listed as ELLEN W., LLC. In addition is it possible for John Does body to have floated up from Massachusetts? One message said he could have come all the way from the Carolinas.

oh wait there is more than one boat in that database named jersey girl

I just came across this on Newspapers.com. I cant find anymore information about him. Can someone with more research experience help me find out if this man has been found or not?
If he hasn't been found he could potentially be Jonesport John Doe.
What's the date for this article?

Oh oops sorry
April 11th 2000
So the accident would have happened on the 9th

Thank you.
Your best bet is to contact the investigators on this case, citing the article. They could contact the coast guard to see if he was ever found. I can send them an email if you want. They may not reply, but at least they'll have the info.

ETA: Also, what paper was this found in?

Last edited:
Thank you.
Your best bet is to contact the investigators on this case, citing the article. They could contact the coast guard to see if he was ever found. I can send them an email if you want. They may not reply, but at least they'll have the info.

ETA: Also, what paper was this found in?
I've contacted OCME but thank you 4 offering. The clip was from the Boston Globe.

My gut feeling tells me it is not him, ive never met a nice jewish dude being a fisherman... (anything from plumbers to engineers, but never a fisherman) and he did not wear fisherman gear.

On the other hand, ive seen stranger things and it is absolutely worth submitting for lack of a better lead

Apparently, Larry had completely donned his survival suit before being caught under the boat.
Here's my thought
Could the survival suit help preserve his body thus making PMI inaccurate?

Apparently, Larry had completely donned his survival suit before being caught under the boat.
Here's my thought
Could the survival suit help preserve his body thus making PMI inaccurate?

A survival suit is unlikely to come off. I've worn them on multiple occasions, and the material is stiff and strong. Many are one piece suits with stirrups at the feet; many have hoods. They have heavy duty zippers, and the zippers are covered. Some have belts and straps as well. Even if it was damaged, I doubt that a body would be found without a trace of the survival suit if it was worn and zipped up. After a long time at sea, one might become waterlogged and sink.

Has DDP released any info on this case, like any family surnames he might be related to or a common ancestor?
I have been following his case closely since last May and I haven't seen anything.

While digging through old articles using the wayback machine I found a higher quality version of his original sketch.

Here's the link for those who are interested
VillageSoup

Attachments

• P78002.jpg
    P78002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Has DDP released any info on this case, like any family surnames he might be related to or a common ancestor?
No, apart from the fact that his admixture is typical of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, lets say it is typical of a person whose both parents are Ashkenazi, I know that may be some of Ashkenazi can have typical family names, but some changed the names after the immigration from Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
Ashkenazi genetoc genealogy is complicated due to the crazy high endogamy going on. Plus of course name changes in the usa. Unless a very close relative uploads his/her DNA, i see little chance for an ID. Ashkenazim have insane amounts of matches but normally only on a 4th plus cousin level. And the same surnames and often first names over and over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back