GUILTY ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, killed by mother & stepfather, 25 Feb 2018

Judge to decide whether the mother, stepfather of Marissa Kennedy will be tried together

Thursday’s court hearing was on a motion filed by Sharon Carrillo’s attorneys to have the couple tried separately, instead of having a joint trial with two juries as the state has requested. Justice Robert Murray will decide whether the two defendants will be tried together, though it was not immediately clear Thursday when he would issue his ruling.
[.....]
Another hearing in the Carrillo case is scheduled for May 2 on motions filed by Sharon Carrillo’s attorneys to suppress statements she made to police in the days after Marissa Kennedy’s death.

Marissa Kennedy’s mother returns to court in bid to quash statements to police after child’s death

Sharon Carrillo, who is accused of helping to beat her 10-year-old daughter to death last year, will be in court this week to learn if statements she made to police in the days after Marissa Kennedy’s death will be admissible at trial.

The 34-year-old is scheduled to appear at the Waldo Judicial Center at 8:30 a.m. Thursday for a two-day hearing......
[.....]
A hearing on the motion to hold two separate trials occurred in early April, but Justice Robert Murray has not yet made a decision.

Thursday, May 2nd:
*Motion Hearing for both (2-day hearing) (@ 8:30am ET) – ME – Marissa Kennedy (10) (Feb. 25, 2018, Stockton Springs. Suffered months of abuse (Oct. ‘1-Feb. ’18) – *Sharon Carrillo (33) “mom” arrested (2/26/18), charged (2/28/18) & arraigned (4/2/18) with depraved indifference murder. Plead not guilty. $500K bond.
*Julio Carrillo (51) step-dad arrested (2-26-18), charged (2/28/18) & arraigned (4/2/18) with depraved indifference murder. Plead not guilty. $500K bond.
Court hearings from 3/16/18 thru 10/16/18 reference post #155 here:
ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, Killed by mother & stepfather, 25 Feb 2018

2/8/19 Update: Sharon’s attorneys, Chris MacLean & Laura Shaw filed two separate motions Friday (2/8/19). One filing contains details that have not previously been released publicly, including descriptions of a photo recovered from Julio’s phone by Maine State Police that detail abuse of the child & her mother. MacLean also claims that the tactics used by detectives to interrogate Sharon in the days after Kennedy died were “coercive” in light of the new information filed today. As a result, MacLean, in the second document, is calling for all statements given by Sharon to law enforcement to be suppressed. Prosecutors have called for the Carrillos to be tried together, arguing it would be more efficient and they have asked the judge to order two separate juries. Sharon’s attorneys on Friday argued that the new evidence should preempt a separate trial. Banda said he does not object to a joint trial, and he did not file his own motions to sever or suppress evidence. He confirmed his client has discussed a possible plea agreement with the state.
2/28/19 Update: Motions hearing on 4/4. Attorneys gave arguments on both sides re separate trial vs one trial. Judge has not made a decision. Next motions hearing on 5/2 & 5/3 re defense motions to suppress statements Sharon made to police in the days after Marissa Kennedy’s death.

Friday, May 3rd:
*Motion Hearing for both-Day 2 (2-day hearing) (@ 8:30am ET) – ME – Marissa Kennedy (10) (Feb. 25, 2018, Stockton Springs. Suffered months of abuse (Oct. ‘1-Feb. ’18) – *Sharon Carrillo (33) “mom” arrested (2/26/18), charged (2/28/18) & arraigned (4/2/18) with depraved indifference murder. Plead not guilty. $500K bond.
*Julio Carrillo (51) step-dad arrested (2-26-18), charged (2/28/18) & arraigned (4/2/18) with depraved indifference murder. Plead not guilty. $500K bond.
Court hearings from 3/16/18 thru 2/8/19 reference post #183 here:
ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, Killed by mother & stepfather, 25 Feb 2018

2/28/19 Update: Motions hearing on 4/4. Attorneys gave arguments on both sides re separate trial vs one trial. Judge has not made a decision. Next motions hearing on 5/2 & 5/3 re defense motions to suppress statements Sharon made to police in the days after Marissa Kennedy’s death.

Marissa Kennedy’s mother shares more details of alleged abuse before child died

Who is the real Sharon Carrillo?

Her defense attorneys portrayed her Thursday as a woman so afraid of her husband, and so vulnerable because of her developmental disabilities, that her guilt-laden words after her 10-year-old daughter Marissa Kennedy’s death should not be held against her.
[.....]
On Thursday, Justice Robert Murray reviewed some of the evidence that Sharon Carrillo’s defense team would like to suppress, including a walk-through video of the family’s Stockton Springs home that police made not long after Marissa was found dead.
[.....]
There were other hard-to-absorb moments in the walk-through video, too, including Sharon Carrillo’s description of Marissa’s last days, during which the girl became more and more unresponsive.
[.....]
Not captured on video, but clear from the testimony of Quintero, the state’s primary investigator, were other disturbing details. Quintero said that Sharon Carrillo had told him that she hated her daughter because Marissa had written a letter saying that she didn’t want Sharon to be her mother anymore. He also testified that the girl’s injuries included the flesh on her knees being worn down to the bone, perhaps because she had been forced to kneel so long.
[.....]
The last witness of the day was Robert Riley, a clinical neuropsychologist who conducts forensic evaluations for the state of Maine and did one for Sharon Carrillo.

This poor child...
animated-smileys-sad-026.gif

This was for Thursday's hearing.

Marissa Kennedy’s mother takes the stand, describes alleged abuse by husband

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff • May 3, 2019 6:36 pm
Updated: May 3, 2019 7:00 pm

The woman charged in the killing of her 10-year-old daughter testified Friday that her husband told her to take half the blame for the child’s death, and said she feared he would hurt her if she refused.

Sharon Carrillo took the stand Friday afternoon to explain why she had previously told police she was partially responsible for the beating death of Marissa Kennedy in their Stockton Springs home in February 2018. Both she and Julio Carrillo, her husband and the girl’s stepfather, were charged with depraved indifference murder.
[.....]
The hearing at the Waldo Judicial Center in Belfast centered on whether statements she made to police in the days after her daughter’s death should be suppressed during her homicide trial.....
[.....]
Julio Carrillo was in court for the hearing, too. He had often had his head on his hands during the testimony of others, but he sat up attentively as his wife spoke.
[.....]
In addition to Sharon Carrillo’s testimony, the court heard Friday from two forensic psychologists — Dr. Sarah Miller, the director of the State Forensic Service, and Dr. Michael O’Connell, an expert witness who came from Maryland. They addressed Sharon Carrillo’s developmental disabilities, her alleged history of abuse, her ability to make a voluntary statement and more. Maine State Police Detective Scott Quintero also took the stand for the second day in a row to say he had not seen Julio Carrillo whisper anything to his wife in between the two interviews.
[.....]
It was not clear Friday afternoon when Justice Murray would make his ruling about whether or not to suppress the evidence.

and of course, no further court dates stated....

@JerseyGirl - find any more updates? Wish I could get into the Maine court site.... I wouldn't have to keep asking! :(

I do have jury selection on 8/8 and trial starting 8/12.

Couple accused of killing Marissa Kennedy to get separate trials

BELFAST (WGME) -- A judge ruled on Thursday that Julio and Sharon Carrillo, who are accused of killing Sharon's 10-year-old daughter Marissa Kennedy, will be tried separately..

A judge granted Sharon's motion to "sever" their trials so she can get a fair trial.
[.....]
Julio's trial is scheduled to happen first.

Now wondering if his will be on 8/8??

@SeesSeas - can you access Maine court sites?

re article in post #96:

Julio Carrillo will change his plea next week, according to his attorney.

Wonder "what day" next week....

anyone have access to Maine court site?? I sure don't....

@SeesSeas :D

re article in post #96:
Julio Carrillo will change his plea next week, according to his attorney.
Wonder "what day" next week....
anyone have access to Maine court site?? I sure don't....
@SeesSeas :D
No access. I searched last month :rolleyes:

I found an article with the plea date:
July 22
Stepfather charged with killing 10-year-old Marissa Kennedy to plead guilty
Updated: July 15, 2019 6:00 pm
The man accused of killing 10-year-old Marissa Kennedy will plead guilty to murder July 22, according to the clerk’s office at the Waldo County Judicial Center in Belfast. An assistant attorney general said Monday that prosecutors plan to push for a life sentence.
[...]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr