ME - Scott Sampson, 26, Portland, 13 November 1990

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by JusticeWillBeServed, Nov 12, 2015.

1. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Active Member

The murder of Scott Sampson remains unsolved 25 years later as his family publicizes the case hoping for new tips.

Portland Police File:

On November 13, 1990 at about 1:53 am Portland Police Officers responded to the Pine Street Variety at 64 Pine Street for an unconscious male on the sidewalk. When Officers arrived they found Scott Sampson deceased. It was later determined that Sampson’s death was a homicide. The cause of death is not being released.

Although it says that a cause of death is not being released, the recent article says that he was stabbed.

After 25 years, family, police still seek clues in unsolved Portland homicide

An article from 2014 has some different information that isn't mentioned in this recent update.

Cold case removed from Portland unsolved homicides list - March 2014

If a police officer saw him tussling with another individual then wouldn't they be able to give a description of that person? Also wondering why they wouldn't attempt to stop the tussling. Again, this information isn't part of the recent article so it might not be completely accurate.

Support Cold Case Squad Maine - Facebook Page

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Elainera

Elainera Active Member

It sounds to me as if the policeman had to turn around first, maybe there was a divider in the middle of the road? And when he came back round the second person was gone?

But pretty bad that he just left him lying there, especially after he had witnessed him in a scuffle just moments before. And even if he hadn't seen that, why would he leave a man he thought was passed out drunk lying in the street?

He dropped the ball. Very sad. Maybe he could have saved him.

4. JusticeWillBeServed

Yeah it probably was a road divider thing. For some reason I was picturing a 25 mph suburban street but there probably would have been witnesses. I agree about the poor decision making by the police officer.

I wonder why they initially thought it was suicide. I would think that self-inflicted fatal stab wounds would be highly unlikely. I believe it was to the stomach as well.

5. JusticeWillBeServed

Son seeks answers in father's decades-old murder

http://wgme.com/news/i-team/cold-case-man-killed-in-downtown-portland

6. Elainera

Elainera Active Member