*Media Links* *No Discussion*

'Making a Murderer': Steven Avery's Brother Gives First Interview
BY TESSA STUART February 3, 2016

Earl Avery, the brother of Making a Murderer subject Steven Avery — one of two brothers Steven has publicly accused of murdering Teresa Halbach — has given his first interview since the Netflix docuseries thrust his family into the national spotlight.

[...]

Avery threw further suspicion on the police investigation by telling Access Hollywood that Halbach's RAV4, discovered on the property by a search party, wasn't there the night of October 31 — the day Halbach was last seen. "We drove right through there — where that car was supposed to be — and it wasn't there....

Bomb threat targets 'Making a Murderer' sheriff
Doug Schneider Post-Crescent
February 4, 2016

MANITOWOC, Wis. — Authorities investigated a bomb threat made Wednesday night against the Manitowoc County Sheriff's Office and evacuated buildings near the downtown office.

The sheriff's office has recently received significant criticism from members of the public for its handling of the investigation of the investigation of the 2005 slaying of photographer Teresa Halbach.

3202d77f.gif

Petition to remove "Making a Murderer" from Netflix
Manitowoc residents are sick of negative attention

Billy Wagness
8:14 PM, Feb 4, 2016
2 hours ago

MANITOWOC, WI -- Manitowoc residents are sick of the reputation their city has earned lately, thanks to a controversial documentary on Netflix.

A number of people are adding their names to an online petition, calling for "Making a Murderer" to be removed from the popular streaming media service.

This comes just one day after a bomb threat, and two suspicious phone calls to Manitowoc police, cleared city blocks around the Sheriff's Department downtown as teams used bomb-sniffing dogs to search the area.

Many in Manitowoc tonight are sick of their city's tarnished reputation.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

nbc26

3202d77f.gif

‘Making a Murderer’: Former metro-east cop who worked viral case says Avery is innocent

Former Madison County sheriff’s lieutenant Conrad “Pete” Baetz says he developed a gut feeling about Steven Avery during their jailhouse meetings.

Baetz recalls meeting “numerous times,” face-to-face, with Avery, the murder defendant whose case has gone viral, thanks to a new Netflix documentary: “Making a Murderer.”

During those eye-to-eye interviews, Baetz — with more than 30 years of experience as a cop and private investigator in Madison County — formed an impression of Avery.

“Just as a personal opinion, I think there’s a very good possibility he’s innocent. Just from the way he talked and the way we talked. You get a feel for these things, and I would have picked up some indication,” Baetz said in a phone interview from his current home in Wisconsin.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

‘Making a Murderer’ Reporter: Evidence Ignored That Steven Avery Sexually Abused Brendan Dassey
By Brian Flood on February 12, 2016

But Avery’s attorney strongly denies to TheWrap that Avery molested his nephew, Dassey
One of the reporters who covered the “Making a Murderer” trial says everyone involved — police, lawyers, and the filmmakers who re-examined the case — has ignored statements by Brendan Dassey that Steven Avery touched him inappropriately.

TheWrap has obtained transcripts containing Dassey’s statements on the issue. In a May 13, 2006 police interview, Dassey told police that Avery, his uncle, sometimes tried to grab his penis “through the pants.” In a phone call later that day to his mother, Barb Tadych, Dassey said he told police that Avery “would grab me somewhere where I was uncomfortable.”

3202d77f.gif

The Anatomy of ‘Making a Murderer’: Netflix documentary tells a frightening story about the American criminal justice system

When people ask me to comment on the series, I tell them that you could teach an entire semester of criminal law based on this series: false and coerced confessions, suggestive identification of suspects, ineffective counsel, media coverage, the presumption of innocence, police bias, failure of the prosecution to disclose evidence, class, juveniles in the criminal justice system, the right of a defendant to testify and the right not to testify, victims’ rights, improper arguments and many more issues.

Before I say anything else, you should know that I am biased. We all are biased. When we view anything involving the criminal justice system, we do so through the distorted lens of our own experiences, traumas, disappointments, hopes and dreams.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

Part I
Part II

3202d77f.gif

‘Making A Murderer’ Update: Netflix Steven Avery Documentary Criticized In New Teresa Halbach Murder Book

A new book responding to the Netflix crime documentary “Making a Murderer” criticizes the series’ alleged bias, saying it distorted the facts surrounding the murder of Teresa Halbach in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, in 2005, an ABC News affiliate reported Wednesday. The series follows Steven Avery, who spent 18 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit, only to be convicted of Halbach's murder four years after his exoneration. It also aims to reveal the ways in which law enforcement may have framed him for the murder.

The book criticizing “Making a Murderer,” entitled “Rush to Judgment,” aims to offer a “fuller view of the evidence,” according to its author Jessica McBride, who is a columnist for OnMilwaukee.com. “When I started looking into the case file for OnMilwaukee.com, I was rather shocked to see how much the documentary distorted things,” McBride told ABC News, saying that her book would “lead people to a different conclusion than Netflix did.”

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

3202d77f.gif

‘Making a Murderer’ Filmmakers Eye Second Installment of Netflix Series

During a Stranger Than Fiction panel discussion at New York’s IFC Center on Thursday, “Making a Murderer” directors Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos said that they have spoken to Steven Avery’s new lawyer, Kathleen Zellner, about the prospect of filming and have continued to record their conversations with Avery. The 10-part “Making a Murderer” docu series revolved around questions about the judicial process behind Avery’s 2005 conviction for the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach, as well as the related convictions of his nephew Brendan Dassey.

“From our perspective this story is obviously not over,” Ricciardi said. “It’s real life and (Avery’s and Brendan Dassey’s) cases are both still pending. We have no idea when the magistrate will make a decision in Brendan’s case. We do know that two potential outcomes are that the judge could order Brendan’s release or he could order a new trial. So we are on the edge of seats about that. To the extent that there are significant developments, we would like to continue documenting this (case).”

However, the duo’s return to Wisconsin to film Dassey and Avery could be problematic. Panel participant Stephen M. Glynn — Avery’s civil lawyer – said, “There is a lot of hostility toward these two women (Ricciardi and Demos) in Wisconsin. The theory is that have played Wisconsin unfairly. But among those people who think and are a little more educated and thoughtful about these sorts of issues, there is appreciation.”

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

Variety

3202d77f.gif

Defense Attorney Dean Strang Settles ‘Making A Murderer’ Theories

In February, defense attorney Dean Strang addressed many theories that were presented during an event hosted by criminal defense attorney Lou Shapiro, in conjunction with the Westside Bar Association, at the W Hotel in Los Angeles. The following topics were discussed:

BLOOD EVIDENCE: [00:00:20]

DASSEY INTERROGATION: [00:16:00]

PHONE CALL RECORDS: [00:00:19]

SWEAT DNA: [00:4:02]

THE INFAMOUS KEY: [00:12:30]

[...]

“The main points the defense made ended up in the film,” Strang said. “Smaller or more nuanced or complicated points understandably did not, as this was a film about two trials; it was not the two trials themselves. Likewise, the main points the prosecution made were in the film and then some. The film did not just parrot the prosecution narrative of the cases completely.”

“I think it would have been edifying for the public to be able to see something about how lawyers on the prosecution side prepare, think about the challenges they’ll face in the trial and anticipate their defense strategy,” he added. “The two filmmakers who actually did invest 10 years of their lives making this film made responsible and fair editorial choices.”

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

3202d77f.gif

What Happens Next in ‘Making a Murderer’?
An interview with Carrie Sperling, co-director of the WI Innocence Project

Observer: The last few months had to be pretty crazy for you. Tell me about your experience.

Carrie Sperling: It has been interesting. We knew the show (Making a Murderer) was coming out. No one at the clinic had seen it, so we didn’t really know what was coming. But the clinic was prepared once again to have a vigorous response to questions about Steven Avery’s exoneration, his first case, and our role in it all.

What we didn’t expect was that the overwhelming response to the documentary would be, “Oh my god, this innocent man was convicted twice, wrongly. Why haven’t you been able to get him out for the second conviction?”

[...]

To me, the most exciting thing about “Making a Murderer” was witnessing a new crowdsourcing movement for court cases emerge in real-time. Do you think we’re changing the way the court system operates?

Carrie Sperling: I think it is really interesting. I was on a website recently, and saw all these people doing their own investigation of the case, and coming up with all sorts of ideas. Some of these ideas may be useful to Brendan Dassey’s attorneys and Steven Avery’s attorneys in post conviction.

And I thought to myself, “Wow, everything has changed. Should we be tossing our investigations out to the public, saying, ‘Here, please investigate this. See what you come up with.’” It’s a really interesting concept.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

3202d77f.gif

How Making a Murderer's Steven Avery Could Be Freed Without a Trial

Defense attorney Kathleen Zellner, who took on Steven Avery's case in late-January, has said that her goal is not to secure her client a new trial — she wants to see him exonerated and his conviction vacated. "I told [Avery], 'I'm a sprinter. I'm not a long-distance runner,'" Zellner recently told Newsweek. She took on Avery's case shortly after he filed his appeal in January. There's no guarantee that a judge will agree to hear it, but introducing evidence that clearly absolves Avery of the murder of 25-year-old photographer Teresa Halbach would make a retrial unnecessary. Zellner has been involved in the exoneration and release of 17 falsely convicted men, and has recently been making confident suggestions on Twitter that she can prove Avery was falsely convicted.

[...]

Of course, none of these details link Hillegas, McKenna or Czech to Halbach's murder. But they do serve as three examples of men in her life that police appear not to have considered, let alone eliminated, as possible suspects in her murder. If Zellner can uncover evidence that points to another viable suspect in Halbach's murder, while at the same time debunking the evidence used against her client, it will be that much harder for prosecutors to pursue Avery in the event that the conviction is thrown out.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

Rolling Stone

Judge Overturns Conviction for 'Making a Murderer' Subject Brendan Dassey

A federal judge in Milwaukee has overturned the conviction of Brendan Dassey, the young man whose case was one of two documented in the Netflix series “Making a Murderer."
Dassey's attorney Steve Drizin with Northwestern University’s Center on Wrongful Convictions of Youth confirmed the news, saying the judge handed down a 91-page decision.

"I am just beyond excited," Drizin said. "I had to pick myself up off the floor."
The ruling means Dassey could go free in 90 days if the state does not refile.

Drizin said the state could appeal the decision, however, which would put Dassey's release on hold.

'Making a Murderer's' Brendan Dassey ordered released from prison
Tue November 15, 2016

(CNN)Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel filed a motion late Tuesday evening seeking a stay of Brendan Dassey's release.

[...]

The motion comes after U.S. District Judge William E. Duffin ordered Dassey be released from prison on his own recognizance pending the appeal of his 2007 murder conviction.

Schimel requested Duffin make his decision on the motion by Wednesday.

Federal Court Blocks Release of Brendan Dassey, Nephew in 'Making a Murderer'
NOV 17 2016
by DANIELLA SILVA

A federal appeals court ruled Thursday that a Wisconsin man whose case was chronicled in the true crime docuseries "Making a Murderer" must remain in prison — even after his murder conviction was overturned this summer.

Brendan Dassey's release from prison was blocked Thursday afternoon by the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit while prosecutors appeal the decision to overturn his conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back