Meteor shower over Russia sees meteorites hit Earth

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This link has live updates

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/meteorite-explodes-over-russian-urals-live-updates

Look at the size of the hole

d8987432-755f-4fe5-a468-8630ecea5961-460x276.jpeg

Russian experts believe the blast was caused by a 10-ton meteor known as a bolide, which created a powerful shock wave when it reached the Earth’s atmosphere, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement. Scientists believe the bolide exploded and evaporated at a height of about 20 to 30 miles above the Earth’s surface, but that small fragments — meteorites — may have reached the ground, the statement said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/w...ts-are-said-to-rain-down-on-siberia.html?_r=0

NYTimes reporting 1000 injured, 200 of them children.

Bringing this link over from Herding Cats thread on the asteroid thing that is supposed to happen today. Right now I have it on this incident, but they have many threads, including one on today's thing. Obviously I don't know what they are talking about, but they have more photos and comments, if you can decipher all of the scientific and mathematical terminology.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30404

Weird that the hole is perfectly round - like something fell STRAIGHT DOWN. I'd've expected a hole from the meteor to be more of an oval....

I know what you mean...but Arizona crater is a solid circle, too. Dunno why that happens, but seems it does.

And apparently the asteroid that was a close call really was a close call...has gone past, but didn't hit. Thank God.

Best-
Herding Cats

I know what you mean...but Arizona crater is a solid circle, too. Dunno why that happens, but seems it does.

And apparently the asteroid that was a close call really was a close call...has gone past, but didn't hit. Thank God.

Best-
Herding Cats

IIRC, the craters on the moon are also circular. Is it possible the craters are made not just by impact, but by an explosion of the meteorite? The latter might leave a circular crater that would wipe out traces of an oval impact impression.

Exactly what I was thinking...and a lot of asteroids have (I don't know the right scientific word) little bits that break off and do their own thing...so maybe it is part of tonight's pass?

Just not comfortable about this at all...

Bless their hearts, each and everyone who was impacted (no pun intended) by this "meteorite"...how scary.

And yes, shades of Tunguska indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

I have read that this meteorite is the largest since Tunguska, which also happened in Russia. It was probably a meteorite or comet that exploded over the air.

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another meteor, up to its little tricks tonight:

Bright Streak Lights Up Night Sky; Likely Sporadic Meteor, Expert Says (NBC Miami)
South Floridians who happened to be looking in the right place at the right time Sunday night saw one spectacular light show – likely a sporadic meteor.

The Coast Guard began getting flooded with phone calls about 7:30 p.m., with reports of folks seeing flare-like objects from Jacksonville to Key West, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer 3rd Class Sabrina Laberdesque.

People called in, describing the flares “as orange or red fireballs in the sky,” Laberdesque said. The display was limited to the sky: No injuries were reported, Laberdesque said.

A sporadic meteor is essentially a rocky object that comes from the asteroid belt, said Mike Hankey, operations manager for the American Meteor Society, based in Genesee, N.Y. The group logged 27 reports within about the first two hours of the event, he said.
---
much more at the link, with a video

Is all this meteor activity normal and its just a hot topic because of what happened in Russia or is this very unusual?

Is all this meteor activity normal and its just a hot topic because of what happened in Russia or is this very unusual?

How many other exploding meteorites have you heard of that injured over a thousand people?

This image from NASA is interesting....

Attachments

• MeteorLiveBlog940px.png
    MeteorLiveBlog940px.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 16
Giant chunk of Russian meteor raised from the lake

1,256 pounds, before it broke

largest recorded meteor strike in more than a century. More than 1,600 people were injured by the shock wave from the explosion, estimated to be as strong as 20 Hiroshima atomic bombs

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20131016/DA9FCFK80.html

This goes to show you no matter how much we spend on defense and no matter how much technology we have, it only takes one meteor to hit us and we are done. This is a picture of the meteor that hit Russia earlier this year and it wasn't really that big. Now I realize it lost some of it's size on the way in, but still if this hit a major city, it would be devastating.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/16/huge-piece-of-meteorite-that-crashed-in-russia-found/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForMyGirlsNY
Back