Meth Users Drinking Urine To Get High

Boyz_Mum said:
Many of you have come forth and stated your addictions and rehabilitations from those (kudos to all that have overcome those!) but I guess I still wonder about the persons who would resort to drinking urine (yuck) to get the high? I sort of understand the alcoholic who would clean out the cupboard to drink the last dose of alcohol in the house, but dang, I can't for the life of me understand drinking urine? Anyone have any insight? (Trying to understand addiction, I am not trying to cause any fights here.)
I very much understand drinking urine to get high, but then, I am an addict. I haven't drank urine to get dope into my body but I've done other things that would be considered equally disgusting all in an effort to get the dope that my body, mind and spirit needed.

Addiction tends to be all-encompassing and most addicts can rationalize bizarre, disgusting, illegal and dangerous behavior to keep getting more of what they need. I don't know if a non-addict could possibly understand it. Drug addiction takes many people to basic animalistic levels.

mjak said:
Desperation? I am not an addict but I can sure understand desperation.
I have Aspergers Syndrome and OCD and panic disorder. I can remember when stuck in a world of never ending pain in my head I might do anything to get it to stop. Yes, even drink Urine if someone told me it would stop the pain in eyes from sunlight or the stuck thoughts that were exploding over and over in my head. I can under stand desperation. Not sure I could actually drink urine but I can remember the feelsing of absolute depserpation for the pain to stop.

mjak
Yes, mjak, addiction is very obsessive and compulsive in its presentation. You surely understand! My prayers to you for continued peace from your moments of desparation!

mjak said:
Desperation? I am not an addict but I can sure understand desperation.
I have Aspergers Syndrome and OCD and panic disorder. I can remember when stuck in a world of never ending pain in my head I might do anything to get it to stop. Yes, even drink Urine if someone told me it would stop the pain in eyes from sunlight or the stuck thoughts that were exploding over and over in my head. I can under stand desperation. Not sure I could actually drink urine but I can remember the feelsing of absolute depserpation for the pain to stop.

mjak
Thank you mjak for your quick response. I guess as I think about the question I posed, I now realize that people will resort to a lot of things to get their drug of choice and I am sorry if I came across as being condescending in any way (if you thought I was being "that way"). I guess I wonder when and where a person who is addicted to anything would "cross the line" as far as addiction goes?

And mjak, I do understand wanting anything to make the pain to stop. Both on a physical level and on an emotional level, and thank you so much for "reminding" me about desparation.

southcitymom said:
I very much understand drinking urine to get high, but then, I am an addict. I haven't drank urine to get dope into my body but I've done other things that would be considered equally disgusting all in an effort to get the dope that my body, mind and spirit needed.

Addiction tends to be all-encompassing and most addicts can rationalize bizarre, disgusting, illegal and dangerous behavior to keep getting more of what they need. I don't know if a non-addict could possibly understand it. Drug addiction takes many people to basic animalistic levels.
(I am on "dial up" so I am very slow...) Thank you for sharing your experience with addiction, southcity mom. I hope I didn't seem condescending to you either. I truely (sp?) have questions about addictions and where they begin and when the time comes that the addiction overcomes a person's morals or otherwise? (Does my question make sense?) My father was an alcoholic and made sure we had electricity and such but we were otherwise raised in a home where we were neglected. That's where I don't understand where the "line" is?

Boyz_Mum said:
(I am on "dial up" so I am very slow...) Thank you for sharing your experience with addiction, southcity mom. I hope I didn't seem condescending to you either. I truely (sp?) have questions about addictions and where they begin and when the time comes that the addiction overcomes a person's morals or otherwise? (Does my question make sense?) My father was an alcoholic and made sure we had electricity and such but we were otherwise raised in a home where we were neglected. That's where I don't understand where the "line" is?
I don't feel like your questions are condescending at all, BOYZ-MUM. Many of us are touched by addiction - whether personally or through a family member or friend.

My Dad was an alcoholic, but that wasn't all bad. He was by far my most stable parent. He provided well for me, supported me in my dreams, made sure I got a great education, etc...As I said in an earlier post, I believe addiction and its manifestation in later life has a nurture component. Although a crack addict holed up in a weekly hotel room and a drunk CEO in a 5-star hotel seem different, they suffer from the same thing.

Addiction, like everything else, is rarely black and white - but there are some common threads.

Al-Anon is a great place to learn about addiction if you have people close in your life who are alcoholics/addicts.

Boyz_Mum said:
Many of you have come forth and stated your addictions and rehabilitations from those (kudos to all that have overcome those!) but I guess I still wonder about the persons who would resort to drinking urine (yuck) to get the high? I sort of understand the alcoholic who would clean out the cupboard to drink the last dose of alcohol in the house, but dang, I can't for the life of me understand drinking urine? Anyone have any insight? (Trying to understand addiction, I am not trying to cause any fights here.)

Boyz, I know what you mean and I would agree -- except that I need a cigarette break right now. A lot of folks would say putting a cigarette in your mouth is every bit as nasty as urine. But it doesn't seem so to us smokers.

Congrats to all here who have kicked their addictions!

You guys (gals) are great for answering my questions about addictions (and I too have to give up the cig smoking...) I really do appreciate the answers on a personal level and on a "sluether level". And to southcitymom... thanks for speaking of your father (my father too was the more stable one), thank you for telling me about al anon (didn't know I had so many questions until today!) and thank you also for reminding me that addiction crosses all boundaries- yes, a CEO in the executive suite IS THE SAME as the guy in the alley.

Thanks for all of the input and if anyone out there has anymore to add, please share with what you are comfortable with. It helps more than just myself when people are able to share with what touches so many of our lives...

I don't mean to make light of any one's addictions, but in my case: my father drinks, my mother ought to.

Nova said:
I don't mean to make light of any one's addictions, but in my case: my father drinks, my mother ought to.
Okay, I will give you my version... Now I totally understand why my dad DRANK..bless my mother's heart... but I know the escape he may have been seeking.

Thank you Nova for lightening this up a bit!

Nova said:
That pretty much sums mine up too!! Make light all you want...I know I do!:crazy:

southcitymom said:
That pretty much sums mine up too!! Make light all you want...I know I do!:crazy:

You know me well enough to know that joking and being perfectly serious about the same subject are no contradiction to me. :)

Seriously, I come from complete tea-totalers on both sides (Dad is an exception in all sorts of ways) and trust me, just as there are people who should never drink, there are those who ought to have a glass now and then.

But as long as I'm puffing on cigarettes and guzzling coffee, I'm not making fun of anyone's struggle with substance abuse. I'm just lucky (and I suppose, unlucky in another way) that my addictions don't keep me from earning a living, maintaining a home, etc. (At least not so far.)

Boyz_Mum said:
Thank you mjak for your quick response. I guess as I think about the question I posed, I now realize that people will resort to a lot of things to get their drug of choice and I am sorry if I came across as being condescending in any way (if you thought I was being "that way"). I guess I wonder when and where a person who is addicted to anything would "cross the line" as far as addiction goes?

I think alot of people, myself included, use drugs to escape some kind of pain in their life, mostly mental. I could think about the worst things that ever happened to me, and at the time there was alot going on, but yet within one minute (no exaggeration here) of snorting meth all that emotional pain would go away. I finally in all my 25 years of life felt like I could deal with my past, and that I was in control of my future. The pain just wasn't there anymore and the feeling was unbelievable. Then other things began to happen, like I lost 60 lbs and went from a fat girl to someone with a rocking body, and was being asked out by many different men which was the biggest ego boost because I had a very painful divorce and felt that I was too fat to get anyone else. Also doing dope opened up a new social network as far as friends go. I had more friends than I have ever had in my life, or what you think were friends at the time. Looking back now I see that none of us were really "friends" we just used one another for our connections, and nobody likes to tweak alone so most of us shared our dope with each other.
After all the stuff this drug did for me I felt like I had found paradise. When the drugs wore off, or if I was out, all the bad things came back with a vengeance. So what do you do? You snort more dope to get the good feelings back. This lasted about a year, and then things changed. I was still able to keep the weight off, but the good feelings were gone and my energy level was plummeting despite being on dope. Other things were beginning to catch up with me as well, and finally my cover was blown and things blew up in my face. I quit doing dope for two months, but then started back again. I was thinking I had been clean for awhile, so the dope would feel the way it used to again. But it didn't, and furthermore, it made me feel even worse. For some reason after I started back every time I would snort dope I would get violently sick. I finally got tired of it and gave up for good.
Anyway, thats my story, but what I wanted to say is that I guess the "lines that get crossed" are different for everyone. What makes some people go farther than others? Maybe those people can't deal with their life unless they are high. This is the way I felt. Some probably feel like they have lost everything, and there is nothing else left to lose so why bother trying to get clean when you have nothing/no one to be clean for?
Your questions/comments don't seen condenscending at all. I don't think anyone could EVER understand addiction unless they have been there themselves.

Nova said:
You know me well enough to know that joking and being perfectly serious about the same subject are no contradiction to me. :)...
Yes, I love that about you.

My family is the opposite - you can't throw a brick without hitting an addict! And while that fact definitely lends to some of the biggest sorrows in my life, my family has also given me some of my greatest joys. We are "functional" addicts on many levels and even with all the dysfunction, I have always felt very loved. I wasn't subjected to some of the conditions that often follow addiction - poverty, gross physical instability, sexual abuse, violence. I am one of the lucky ones in that regard.

Boyz_Mum said:

And mjak, I do understand wanting anything to make the pain to stop. Both on a physical level and on an emotional level, and thank you so much for "reminding" me about desparation.
I did not think your post was condecending in anyway. I thought it was very thought provoking. As it made me realize how deep my desperation has been at times. The realization that I could actually understand why somone might drink urine was pretty eye opening for me. Thanks for your insight.

mjak

southcitymom said:
Yes, mjak, addiction is very obsessive and compulsive in its presentation. You surely understand! My prayers to you for continued peace from your moments of desparation!
Thank you southcitymom, and my prayers for you in your recovery.
This thread has been very intresting for me because I never would have thought
I could relate so well to the emotional pathology of addiction.

mjak

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back