Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #4

http://i.youku.com/i/UMTMyOTkwNTgw/videos?spm=a2hzp.8244740.0.0

Just checking in and doing another sweep across the internet since I am traveling in mainland China right now. Came across this page the other day. It is Jenny's blog of videos. Most are filmed after she moved to the US. She was never in the videos and she mostly filmed things she thought were interesting. The video posted on July 20, 2012 called "vegetable grandpa" was particularly cute, and I believe the second male voice in the video was from JR. It sounded like they had a good relationship, while JR was adoring the eccentricity that is Jenny.

Let me know if everyone can see the video. This is from YouKu, China's own version of YouTube (since they block YouTube), so not sure if it's accessible by people outside of China.

Also, just a friendly tip, while doing online search for news, it might be helpful to search on www.baidu.com, which is China's version of Google. (Yes, sometimes they block google too.) There might be more Chinese news available on China's own search engine.

Just saw this. I don't think such a thing exists. Like I said, WeChat is just like Whatsapp. Whatever you can do with Whatsapp you can basically do with WeChat, with an additional feature of a mini blog where you can post pictures, but you would have to be on that person's contact list to see the blog update. I found Jenny's WeChat account a while ago and added her. No response.

I agree with your thoughts on SLcherry's post. So it seems surprising if none of her couchsurfer hosts would have had her purchased Mexico phone's number, if it was for local calls. Kinda of odd, too, she would tell JR she bought a phone yet not share the number to it at the same time. I mean, if she wanted him not to call her on it, why even tell him about the phone in the first place?

SLcherry, with WeChat, is there an online access to one's account to be able to view a record of calls and other activity, similar to a phone's record on a monthly bill?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by webant

The same often happens in India with people who speak either Hindi or Kannada, but not both. They best communicate in English.

I actually don't agree with this. Yes, there are many dialects in China but most people are competent of speaking Mandarin which is the official language of China. They may speak certain dialect to their family, but when at work or in public, mandarin is the commonly spoken dialect.

I can't say for China, but definitely true for India; it is common knowledge there.

Once when I was traveling in northern India, I asked a local a question in English. He was indignant and told me (in English) that he wouldn't speak with me in English. I said fine, shall we speak Kannada? He was embarrassed, apologized, and then helped me by answering my question in English.

Hi Cherry,
I hope your trip is going well. Thanks for the movie link. Unfortunately they won’t play for me. The screen turns black and there isn’t a “play” button that works.

Now might be a great time for Jenny's family to check in with the embassy again. With the recent disaster, Jenny might be ready to go home (if she is still alive). Just a thought...

Jenny had already proved (to herself and the world) that she could "make it" without money. I think falling off the grid was quite doable. However, I don't see why she'd be inclined to do so in Mexico unless she had a motivation. I say this because she had plans to tour Cuba, but missed all her flights.

Also, I don't think there's a single event on earth that would cause Jenny to want to return to China. I believe she mostly (not fully) abandoned her Chinese identity when she fled China. JR was her ticket out, but then I think at some point she was just through with him.

http://i.youku.com/i/UMTMyOTkwNTgw/videos?spm=a2hzp.8244740.0.0

Just checking in and doing another sweep across the internet since I am traveling in mainland China right now. Came across this page the other day. It is Jenny's blog of videos. Most are filmed after she moved to the US. She was never in the videos and she mostly filmed things she thought were interesting. The video posted on July 20, 2012 called "vegetable grandpa" was particularly cute, and I believe the second male voice in the video was from JR. It sounded like they had a good relationship, while JR was adoring the eccentricity that is Jenny.

Let me know if everyone can see the video. This is from YouKu, China's own version of YouTube (since they block YouTube), so not sure if it's accessible by people outside of China.

Also, just a friendly tip, while doing online search for news, it might be helpful to search on www.baidu.com, which is China's version of Google. (Yes, sometimes they block google too.) There might be more Chinese news available on China's own search engine.
What is the flag that is as her YouKu profile pic? Usually a profile has personal meaning of some sort.

English is commonly spoken in India, not so in China. People study English as a second language. Many can't even speak a full sentence in English. When two people of different dialects try to communicate, they speak Mandarin.

Just to reiterate my previous point. People did not like the fact that the exposed WeChat messages of Jenny and her Chinese friend were written in English. They found it eve more aggravating that her Weibo blog was written in English, especially one of the post said she hated China. And this all ties into my belief that although Jenny's parents did not find her via Chinese embassy in Mexico, they are unable to rely on Chinese media to get more attention and help on this case because of the negative view on Jenny. I am sure they are devastated. Just because we don't hear about them, doesn't mean they are not. But they are just a helpless family without money or power, and if you want to get things done in China, you'd need either or both. They are silent because they are out of options, not because they gave up searching.

This is just my opinion.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by webant

The same often happens in India with people who speak either Hindi or Kannada, but not both. They best communicate in English.

I can't say for China, but definitely true for India; it is common knowledge there.

Once when I was traveling in northern India, I asked a local a question in English. He was indignant and told me (in English) that he wouldn't speak with me in English. I said fine, shall we speak Kannada? He was embarrassed, apologized, and then helped me by answering my question in English.

Good! 我经常会在百度上翻找关于她的新闻,但是都是之前的旧新闻,或者是骂她的论坛贴。
这里有人看不到视频,你是在大陆还是境外?如果在境外看到的,可以和他们分享你如何看到的吗?

我看到视频,我经常使用百度搜索引擎。

Robert321 (福乐)

Just as I expected. They blocked access from outside of China. I couldn't even get on it when I'm in Hong Kong. Robert said he saw the video. Maybe he can share how he did it, probably by using some kind of VPN?

Hi Cherry,
I hope your trip is going well. Thanks for the movie link. Unfortunately they won’t play for me. The screen turns black and there isn’t a “play” button that works.

Just saw this. I don't think such a thing exists. Like I said, WeChat is just like Whatsapp. Whatever you can do with Whatsapp you can basically do with WeChat, with an additional feature of a mini blog where you can post pictures, but you would have to be on that person's contact list to see the blog update. I found Jenny's WeChat account a while ago and added her. No response.

I appreciate your trying to compare WeChat to something we might understand, by comparing it to Whatsapp. Unfortunately, that didn't help me, since I don't even know what Whatsapp is, lol! But thank you for being patient and helpful with your explanations. I've a much clearer picture of how it works now. :)

I appreciate your trying to compare WeChat to something we might understand, by comparing it to Whatsapp. Unfortunately, that didn't help me, since I don't even know what Whatsapp is, lol! But thank you for being patient and helpful with your explanations. I've a much clearer picture of how it works now. :)

I didn’t know what WhatsApp is either! I guess we’d better get with the program, slowpoke. :)

https://www.whatsapp.com/

Hi Cherry,

I got some of them to work, Lilibet. On my iPad, after I choose a video to view, at first, I see a black screen, too. Then, in the center of the black, a picture pops in of something that looks like a blue monitor screen with an arm touching it (?) and a red banner under the blue screen. A very faint x is a bit to the top right of that blue screen picture. I touch the x to close that picture. It goes away, then a gray ring circle with an arrow-like shape appears. I touch the arrow, and the video starts!

English is commonly spoken in India, not so in China. People study English as a second language. Many can't even speak a full sentence in English. When two people of different dialects try to communicate, they speak Mandarin.

Just to reiterate my previous point. People did not like the fact that the exposed WeChat messages of Jenny and her Chinese friend were written in English. They found it eve more aggravating that her Weibo blog was written in English, especially one of the post said she hated China. And this all ties into my belief that although Jenny's parents did not find her via Chinese embassy in Mexico, they are unable to rely on Chinese media to get more attention and help on this case because of the negative view on Jenny. I am sure they are devastated. Just because we don't hear about them, doesn't mean they are not. But they are just a helpless family without money or power, and if you want to get things done in China, you'd need either or both. They are silent because they are out of options, not because they gave up searching.

This is just my opinion.

I agree and feel so sorry for them. Thank you for telling us the situation they are likely in, especially why they can’t get media help. Otherwise we wouldn’t understand. I wonder if they are able to communicate at all with JR. They can’t see the FB group, so I hope he would keep them posted somehow if they want that. Maybe it’s best if they stay off that roller coaster!

I got some of them to work, Lilibet. On my iPad, after I choose a video to view, at first, I see a black screen, too. Then, in the center of the black, a picture pops in of something that looks like a blue monitor screen with an arm touching it (?) and a red banner under the blue screen. A very faint x is a bit to the top right of that blue screen picture. I touch the x to close that picture. It goes away, then a gray ring circle with an arrow-like shape appears. I touch the arrow, and the video starts!

I’ll try again. I thought I waited long enough but maybe not. Thanks!

ETA: Still black for me on my iPad. :(

You make excellent points. I’m no doubt looking at this through my own mentality of “leave no stone unturned” even if it’s a long shot. I should know by now that JR doesn’t think like I do. :) I would like to think that he didn’t just reject the report without knowing for sure it was a lie. His anger when it was revealed was a bit strange IMO. But again, he doesn’t think the way I do...and that doesn’t make him wrong.

The discussion here has reminded me about the comment JR made under the nwasianweekly article (but has since been removed by the magazine).
http://nwasianweekly.com/2016/06/hu...-of-seattle-was-last-seen-in-april-in-oaxaca/

The comment JR had made:
"The Oaxaca police put on quite a show for Jenny’s parents. How could she be traveling for almost two months without any money?? I have her bank records. These types of stories produced wild rumors with NO substance, and deviate from the true investigation that my legal and investigative team have put together. We need to focus on her last substantiated sighting, which was with the truck company with Corona logos. We are working hard on that PROVEN lead, not silly rumors."

So, from JR's comment under the article, it does sound, rightly or wrongly, like his outright rejection of the claim was based strongly on his knowing that there was no movement in her bank account after April 11. Also, though, I think his PI, by that time, had obtained the storekeeper's testimony that Jenny really wanted to get to a working ATM machine. Plus, JR saw Jenny's Chinese writing in the storekeeper's notepad.

The more I think on it, the Chinese characters spelling Jenny's name on the notepad is the most solid physical evidence obtained that shows Jenny really was at Lagunas crossing. If not for that piece of evidence, I think I'd be a lot more skeptical she was even there.

The discussion here has reminded me about the comment JR made under the nwasianweekly article (but has since been removed by the magazine).
http://nwasianweekly.com/2016/06/hu...-of-seattle-was-last-seen-in-april-in-oaxaca/

The comment JR had made:
"The Oaxaca police put on quite a show for Jenny’s parents. How could she be traveling for almost two months without any money?? I have her bank records. These types of stories produced wild rumors with NO substance, and deviate from the true investigation that my legal and investigative team have put together. We need to focus on her last substantiated sighting, which was with the truck company with Corona logos. We are working hard on that PROVEN lead, not silly rumors."

So, from JR's comment under the article, it does sound, rightly or wrongly, like his outright rejection of the claim was based strongly on his knowing that there was no movement in her bank account after April 11. Also, though, I think his PI, by that time, had obtained the storekeeper's testimony that Jenny really wanted to get to a working ATM machine. Plus, JR saw Jenny's Chinese writing in the storekeeper's notepad.

The more I think on it, the Chinese characters spelling Jenny's name on the notepad is the most solid physical evidence obtained that shows Jenny really was at Lagunas crossing. If not for that piece of evidence, I think I'd be a lot more skeptical she was even there.

Thanks for reposting JR’s angry, rude and insensitive comment. I hope Jenny’s parents never saw it. While every word may be true, and probably is, his tone is horrible. I’ll grant him frustration with LE and every other government entity he had dealt with. But there is absolutely no reason to lash out at someone who commented on the article and posted the link to the Embassy press release...unless of course you’re embarrassed that you were outed for concealing information about Jenny’s parents, or that they did an end run around you, and you’re angry that your latest lead is being contradicted by the hated Oaxaca LE. But there are so many ways of wording the same thoughts without being offensive and turning people off.
JMO

Something I found. Some kind if forum where Jenny is asking a question regarding a B2 visa, apparently.
http://bbs.qyer.com/thread-576039-1.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://bbs.qyer.com/thread-576039-1.html

The awkward Google translation of her question:
Jennycqd
"Posted at 2012-02-18 17:21
I am a student, junior, boyfriend is an American , want to go to the United States to play summer 3 weeks.Apply for B2, in the end is to tell the truth? I went with my boyfriend, live in his house. Afraid to tell the truth will be refused, do not tell the truth really make life difficult.
I can go out of school proof, and my own personal bank access details, there are 60,000, there are parents of real estate, driver 's license. If you do not tell the truth, do you say that a person to travel to the United States, and then to set the hotel, feeling strange.
In short, my question is, should I tell the truth? But, my truth with her boyfriend to travel to the United States, but also live his home, as if the visa will certainly feel."

SLcherry, any of this relevant? What is her concern about whether or not to tell the truth? One thing that interested me is her saying that she says she has 60,000 in the bank. Is that 60,000 yuan? Google says that is currently over $9,000 US dollars. Not too bad?

Something I found. Some kind if forum where Jenny is asking a question regarding a B2 visa, apparently.
http://bbs.qyer.com/thread-576039-1.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://bbs.qyer.com/thread-576039-1.html

The awkward Google translation of her question:
Jennycqd
"Posted at 2012-02-18 17:21
I am a student, junior, boyfriend is an American , want to go to the United States to play summer 3 weeks.Apply for B2, in the end is to tell the truth? I went with my boyfriend, live in his house. Afraid to tell the truth will be refused, do not tell the truth really make life difficult.
I can go out of school proof, and my own personal bank access details, there are 60,000, there are parents of real estate, driver 's license. If you do not tell the truth, do you say that a person to travel to the United States, and then to set the hotel, feeling strange.
In short, my question is, should I tell the truth? But, my truth with her boyfriend to travel to the United States, but also live his home, as if the visa will certainly feel."

SLcherry, any of this relevant? What is her concern about whether or not to tell the truth? One thing that interested me is her saying that she says she has 60,000 in the bank. Is that 60,000 yuan? Google says that is currently over $9,000 US dollars. Not too bad?

https://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/. There may be others here more knowledgeable about visas than google and myself, however it seems that the B2 visa is a travel/ tourism visa, issued for a six-month period. Just a guess, but seems like maybe she wanted to come and live with her “boyfriend” but wasn’t sure how to address the questions in the interview... if she should make it appear she would be coming here and then living in a hotel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4