MI - Active shooter at Michigan State University. Fatalities Reported. 13 Feb '23

I haven't read the whole thread, but in the meantime, his father, who is beyond devastated, said that this man was just never the same after his mother died a couple years ago. That's about all I know about it.
I feel for the killer's family as well.
What a terrible legacy he has left for them.
But I hope they can heal as well, this was not their fault.
As an adult they may have known he had issues, but couldn't force him to get help ?

[...]

He lives in a 960-square-foot home on the north side of Lansing, east of Capital Region International Airport. The home is owned by his father MM. A chain link fence blocks off the front driveway.

MB and TB, who live on the same street as Anthony McRae, said he moved in with his father about a year ago. They said Mm, Anthony's father, is a scrapper well-known in the neighborhood.

“He’s never done any harm to anyone,” Mb said. “He’s just an old man, minds his business.”

But police had been called to the residence before because of the sound of gunshots, MB said. MB said Anthony McRae would fire out of the back door of the home, she believed for target practice.

Based on where Anthony McRae was found, MB believed he was headed home. She had been listening to the scanner for most of the night and when she heard where police had said the suspect had died and later traffic indicating they were being dispatched to her street, she felt relieved Anthony McRae hadn’t made it back to the neighborhood.

[...]
Why, oh Why ??
I just dont understand these senseless acts of murdering innocent kids and mass murders/shootings at not just schools, college campus but everywhere, even grocery stores these days.

Praying for our LANSING MSU community.

I haven't read the whole thread, but in the meantime, his father, who is beyond devastated, said that this man was just never the same after his mother died a couple years ago. That's about all I know about it.
Yes, but he was not a child at that time. He was a grown man without a real life before his mother died. There was something very wrong imo about this scenerio.

I agree wholeheartedly - hence me mentioning all of those that will now carry the trauma for the rest of their lives. Of course every single student, parent, siblings, those in the area the suspect was seen outside of campus, LEO’s etc are going to be traumatized at various levels.

The fallout that we don’t talk about is what happens to those who experience trauma and have residual PTSD and other stress-related mental health issues. How many lives have been spun in a new direction; how many will develop an addiction to substances to cope, how many will sink into depression or agoraphobia. If we did a study and followed x amount of students who have been through a mass shooting, I think we would see an increase in substance abuse, mental health issues, suicide, and more. The fallout is massive, as you said tens of thousands.

<modsnip> I’m well aware that the 8 victims we often focus on are not the only ones whose lives have been changed forever.

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped> I was saying that in general, we all (America) move on after mass shootings, parroting the media's headline of "8 Victims in Mass Shooting" instead of reframing the narrative. If enough of us start our social media posts with "20,000 victims in mass shooting at MSU," we'd have better luck rejecting attempts to minimize what's really happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, what is on-campus dorm ingress/egress like anymore? Back in the day, we had keycards with which we buzzed our way in (come to think of it, I think I had a real key for my freshman dorm).

what do you mean 'without a real life'? having a spouse or kids does not make it a 'real' life

Criminal history. Limits employment options. Social relationships, etc. And if a person is depressed, typically you should not be armed. Pretty obvious to me.

Where did you get the spouse and kids stuff?

Criminal history. Limits employment options. Social relationships, etc. And if a person is depressed, typically you should not be armed. Pretty obvious to me.

Where did you get the spouse and kids stuff?

you said he was a grown man without a real life
I didn't see anything about a criminal history in the original article, only that he was alone with no spouse or kids
did they say he was depressed? his Dad said he was never the same but I didn't see that he was depressed
and that's not much of a significant criminal history IMO - one charge that he successfully completed probation for and the gun was legally registered to him

His sister said he had mental health issues even when their mom was alive. What kind of interventions can be done to prevent someone from going down the deep end like this? Sounds like he was in pain and had no coping skills.

What we know about the Michigan State University gunman (CNN Update)​

McRae’s sister says he was socially isolated​

Melinda McRae, the gunman’s sister, told CNN she was “shocked” by the news and said she had “no idea” what motivated her brother to carry out the shooting.

McRae had long been socially isolated and clashed with his parents, though she said they had a loving home growing up. He had recently been living isolated in a room at their father’s home, she said.

She said McRae would often lash out at their mother, and then when she died in 2020, he would express deep sorrow and say, “I’m sorry mom, I’m sorry …”

“My mom said that Anthony is going to be the death of her,” she said, referring to his social hostility. “He’s always been like the oddball of the family. But he’s been taken care of. My parents took care of us.”

Melinda McRae said her brother was also prone to transience, would sporadically leave town and struggled to hold down jobs. “He would leave the state. He would keep leaving my mom and dad …”

At times he would go “to different cities and just live in a shelter,” she said.

Melinda McRae said she last saw her brother at their mother’s funeral in 2020.

“I’m just so sorry about the innocent people that got killed,” she said.

McRae was charged years ago with carrying a concealed weapon – a felony that would have prevented him from being able to buy a gun if he were convicted but the case never went to trial. Instead, a 2019 deal allowed him to plead guilty to a misdemeanor – possession of a loaded firearm in or upon a vehicle, the Ingham County prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday. He spent a year and a half on probation. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel – who said she has sons at MSU – said that he had his probation extended a couple of times.

An LE source said he purchased two guns in 2021. One was a Taurus, and the other was a Hi-Point 9mm. It’s not clear whether either of those two weapons was used in the deadly MSU rampage.

MSU mass shooting

It's beyond tragic that so many lives are impacted by these deadly shootings.

One was a fraternity chapter president who played lacrosse and had an infectious smile. One was a soft-spoken shutterbug who got all A’s and was described as innocent. Another was a quiet go-getter who excelled at basketball and was going to become a forensic scientist.

They are the three students of Michigan State University who were fatally shot Monday night during a rampage at the school that police attributed to a 43-year-old Lansing man who then killed himself.

As others once again tried to make sense of the senseless during vigils Tuesday, the loved ones of Brian Fraser, Arielle Anderson and Alexandria Verner had a more excruciating task. They had to somehow find a way to say goodbye...

Last edited:
Yes, but he was not a child at that time. He was a grown man without a real life before his mother died. There was something very wrong imo about this scenerio.
Lansing — State officials Tuesday identified 43-year-old Anthony McRae, who had a history of mental health issues and was charged with multiple gun-related crimes in 2019, as the believed gunman who killed three people and wounded five others at Michigan State University.

McRae, who was found off-campus after dying of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, was identified less than nine hours after police lifted a campus-wide shelter-in-place order following the mass shooting.

Officials with the Ewing Police Department in New Jersey said Tuesday they were told Michigan police found a note in his pocket that indicated a threat to two public schools in their township, where McRae had lived years ago. Michigan State University police officials confirmed a note was found on McRae. Ewing police investigated the threats and determined McRae "had a history of mental health issues."...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back