GUILTY MI - Amy Henslee, 30, Hartford Township, 24 Jan 2011 - #4

I disagree with the jury, but respect the decision by them. Thank you all for the information this morning.

I was on the fence about a few things before the trial started. I never bought JB's entire story, but I thought there might be some truth to it. After hearing the forensics, I was pretty convinced the TH killing was premeditated; and I suspect now that AH wound up that way as well regardless of JB's intentions before it happened.

I think I would have voted as this jury did - and I do think 2nd degree on AH was a compromise between jurors who wanted murder 1 and jurors who wanted an outright acquital for that count.

Wonder what Pat Brown thinks of the evidence & verdict? :D

Wow, opposite of the Casey Anthony verdict. In this case someone who is convicted who shouldn't have been.

I was on the fence about a few things before the trial started. I never bought JB's entire story, but I thought there might be some truth to it. After hearing the forensics, I was pretty convinced the TH killing was premeditated; and I suspect now that AH wound up that way as well regardless of JB's intentions before it happened.

I think I would have voted as this jury did - and I do think 2nd degree on AH was a compromise between jurors who wanted murder 1 and jurors who wanted an outright acquital for that count.

I'm still curious about an alleged affair but there was no evidence of that so I'll just have to accept there was no affair and he was obsessed with Amy. End of story.

My heart goes out to the families. Hope the verdict gives them some closure....I know they never will get over losing their loved ones but at least the one responsible will live the rest of his pathetic life behind bars.

I think they did try to give him a benefit of a doubt but the evidence just didn't line up.

I think they did it correctly. Something volatile happened between him and Amy that morning. What that was we will never know imo and he flew into a rage and killed her.

I simply think he killed Tonya in cold blood to keep her from telling what he had done to Amy.

IMO

Ever been around a meth addict? I have. Tonya had meth in her system . Meth & no sleep for days can make one very violent & do things they wouldn't normally do.

Wow, opposite of the Casey Anthony verdict. In this case someone who is convicted who shouldn't have been.

he admitted to killing Tonya, and who buries victims if it is self defense? Digging that hole in the winter had to be difficult..
he tried to cover up HIS crimes

wood tv covers lots of trials but usually leave ya hanging for the verdict..they also don't archive anything on their website

Ever been around a meth addict? I have. Tonya had meth in her system . Meth & no sleep for days can make one very violent & do things they wouldn't normally do.

I have never been around a person under the influence of meth, I'm sure it is exactly like that and believe what you say to be true.

However, in my opinion Tonya while having meth in her system was gunned down from the back. Not once but twice while the second being at a pretty close range by a shotgun. I just don't see how this can be justifiable as self defense, as his defense argued.

I believe it happened as Junior said it happened. I'm not sure I believe the forensics in this case, or rather the investigators. JMO!

As in the Casey Anthony case, the circumstances to his story don't make sense. You don't shoot someone in self defense and then dig to bury both bodies. Furthermore, there was no evidence on the gun to suggest TH even had possession of a gun. You call LE immediately if it was as innocent as he says it was.

But that's not what he did. He buried the bodies, told James he went by the home but Amy wasn't home and kept calling him to find out if Amy had showed up when he knew she was dead and buried!!! He then goes on to download photos of his kids on facebook on the same day Amy went "missing".

Sorry but that's not what an innocent person does.

Whoa....

In a motion filed outside of jurors' presence Wednesday afternoon, Van Buren County Prosecutor Juris Kaps requested evidence of Henslee's extra-marital affairs be barred from trial.

Hunt agreed and the judge granted the motion as long as witnesses and prosecutors don't try to refute the defense's claim that Henslee was having an affair with Beebe.​

[LINK]

Post snipped by me.

How do you explain the above?

ETA: My point was just to show it's not that far-fetched that AH was having an affair.

As in the Casey Anthony case, the circumstances to his story don't make sense. You don't shoot someone in self defense and then dig to bury both bodies. Furthermore, there was no evidence on the gun to suggest TH even had possession of a gun. You call LE immediately if it was as innocent as he says it was.

But that's not what he did. He buried the bodies, told James he went by the home but Amy wasn't home and kept calling him to find out if Amy had showed up when he knew she was dead and buried!!! He then goes on to download photos of his kids on facebook on the same day Amy went "missing".

Sorry but that's not what an innocent person does.

I totally respect your opinion, but disagree. I realize I will have to agree to disagree with a lot of people on this one.

I think it was a pretty fair and reasonable verdict,

In a motion filed outside of jurors' presence Wednesday afternoon, Van Buren County Prosecutor Juris Kaps requested evidence of Henslee's extra-marital affairs be barred from trial.

Hunt agreed and the judge granted the motion as long as witnesses and prosecutors don't try to refute the defense's claim that Henslee was having an affair with Beebe.​

Post snipped by me.

How do you explain the above?

ETA: My point was just to show it's not that far-fetched that AH was having an affair.

When I first saw that I was very surprised....at the time.

As the trial moved forward, I started to see why that motion was agreed to:

Its possible AH had an affair or affairs or suggestion of an affair in the past, and that the defense would use evidence of that/those in order to support the contention in general that AH could have been having an affair with JB.

There would have been witnesses and testimony about this point (an AH affair) which had nothing to do with the charges at hand, just background. I am sure JH pushed the State to keep that out of trial.

The defense got what it wanted - no outright and specific challenge to that part of its story. No need for them to bore down on that any further because that could backfire.

The State never made an attempt to disprove the allegation through testimony/evidence etc...in fact Kaps even suggested it himself as a possibility.

In the end, it mattered little - because as I stated above, the verdict on TH was what the defense really needed to overcome, regardless of whther the jury accepted an JB/AH affair or not. Even if there was an affair interrupted, the way TH was killed (two shots back of head) is not indicative of self-defense, and the second shot had to have been premeditated: this is a shotgun, not a handgun.

Hope this makes sense somewhat....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms