Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

Do we know who were the actually last people to see him? It says he was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall. Who was the last to see him? Do they have him on actual camera leaving? Was it the people (girls?) that he was visiting in the all girl dorm. Were they the actually last ones to see him?

It's a corner for the campus bounded by Beale Street and Michigan Avenue. " BEAL street and Michigan Ave on Oct 29th around 11:30 pm - 12:00 am near north neighborhoods…crosswalk/corner area.
That intersection is along one of the possible routes in the map I previously posted (including again for reference) that BS may have taken from Yakeley to Brody (if indeed that's where he was heading). This route wouldn't involve crossing any bridges over the river, but instead walking along the northern edge.

Attachments

• MSUWALK (2).jpg
    MSUWALK (2).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
As an MSU alumna, my mind immediately went to the Red Cedar River. While I studied there, a body was found in the river. It was believed to be accidental. There are absolutely areas of easy access to the water. Some areas of the embankment slope down to the river fairly steeply, so it wouldn't take much to lose one's balance an fall in. I now live on the west coast, so my current knowledge of the RC River is nothing. I am curious to know if it is at a low level and gently flowing or if it is flowing faster and at a higher level. The water is murky and cloudy. Visibility isn't great.

Thanks, @GMS, for the map. The walk, as shown on the map, looks busy and well-lit. Possible traffic surrounding the area, of course, but it also would mean, IMO, street lights, so if he had been there and sober, or mostly so, it shouldn't have been a problem for him. If he had been hit by a car, or fallen somehow, seems like that would have been noticed almost immediately, and help would have been there soon. It looks like a busy area all around.

What a sad and scary mystery we have here. Positive thoughts going out for Brendan, his family and friends, those who are investigating and looking for him, and the University.

Students uneasy as search for Brendan Santo continues Students uneasy as search for Brendan Santo continues
Well, there's nothing wrong with being more careful, but it's a sad thing. Being a college student is a serious thing, thus the word, "student," but it should be something that is very fondly remembered as some of the best times in one's life -- high highs, and low lows, but it's usually the highs that we remember most. In ancient days, when I was a college student at a fairly large university, we didn't have such a frightening incident. But we do see them now. More people, more ways to get around, and more dangerous drugs and thugs.

I do feel for the university people, et al, who are investigating, working so hard at it, scratching their heads in frustration, and fear for a bad outcome. Positive thoughts and good willpower to them all.

In ancient days, when I was a college student at a fairly large university, we didn't have such a frightening incident. But we do see them now. More people, more ways to get around, and more dangerous drugs and thugs.

Strongly disagree. I went to college in ancient times as well and there were plenty of horror stories back them—many more than now. Colleges are pretty safe places these days—more security, higher drinking age, more awareness of dangers, safer cars, et al. But what’s different now is the internet, social media and mass media. Forty years ago, a state or two away, we would never have heard of a garden variety missing student like this one. It’s just now we have the ability to easily discover more of these horror stories. It’s greater awareness, not more danger.

You make some good points, Bridger, thanks. Sorry to hear that there were horror stories in those years when you were in college.

Back then, our campus well-patrolled and well lit, as all campuses were, I would imagine. Also it was located in one large area and not spread out in other parts of the city or neighborhoods, so this probably made it easier to patrol than possibly some other large campuses of 12,000 or more. This may have made it more secure because of it. I guess we were very fortunate.
------------------
Edited to add -- on my last MSM check, there was no news of Brendan's status.
SMH.

John Norman Collins. 1967-69. University of Michigan/Eastern Michigan University.

OMG. Just looked up that name -- Cannot imagine what horror and fear that situation posed for anyone in the area, especially students, their parents, and the univ. administration. Makes me shiver. How many students left the university (or were told to by their parents) when that was going on there? Those poor female students. SMH.

Last edited:
Is anyone local to this case able to speak about the river conditions? If he did fall in the river, does it seem strange that he has not been located? I’m not sure how deep the water is, how fast it flows, etc.

For what it’s worth, I live about an hour away and we did have a fair amount of rain leading up to Halloween weekend.

No midday local media updates, but I did find this: Students uneasy as search for Brendan Santo continues (wilx.com)

LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - Students at Michigan State University are worried after 18-year-old Brendan Santo disappeared from campus Friday.

“This happening definitely makes students want to be with their friends more,” said MSU freshman Vanessa Kilian. “It makes everyone second guess going anywhere alone.”

Santo was last seen at about midnight when he left Yakeley Hall. Police located his car where he left it, but they have not said where it was parked.

Students at MSU said the more it takes to find Santo, the more their fears grow. The situation has made some students reconsider the way they travel across campus...

I know it's out of respect and privacy for the family and the integrity of the search and investigation, but I wish LE or family / friends would share more details on SB frame of mind when he was last seen, had he been drinking, etc. It might provide more clues...was he headed back to Brody to crash for the night, or was he looking for other friends / places to hang out if he didn't want to stay with the friends at Yakeley Hall.

Thanks for the thread, @minneolo. What a cute guy! Was he at a party or dorm with friends and wandered off & got lost? Are there any rough neighborhoods near MSU? I would assume that the neighborhoods have the typical eateries, shops, and areas of housing for MSU professionals, etc., other families, and student apts, etc., like most college campuses.
Anyone out there familiar with MSU area?
Hi! Former msu student!

sounds like he started at a dorm and was headed towards another dorm according to police.

MSUs campus is very well defined and separate from the surrounding city of East Lansing, however the area he was in is on the edge of campus near two main roads, Michigan Ave and Grand River. Grand river is where most of our bars, restaurants, and stores are located and Mich Ave has quite a few frats, so both would likely have had quite a few people on them on a Friday night at midnight, especially grand river and especially this weekend. To get to Brody neighborhood he likely would’ve walked through campus which would’ve taken him over the Red Cedar River in two places but there would be bridges. The Red Cedar River is not a particularly dangerous river and there are many places to cross safely, however it is rougher than it looks in some areas and it wouldn’t be the first time someone has drowned in it. The police have been searching the river with boats and divers. He could’ve also walked up Michigan Ave. East Lansing is not a particularly rough area, it’s mostly college students and families. Our capital city Lansing is a bigger city and a bit of a rougher area, that would be a ten-fifteen minute drive up Michigan Ave. The Saturday following Brendan’s disappearance was the same day as our football game with our biggest rival UofM, both teams were undefeated and are big ten teams, and the game was at MSU, it was a huge game. The campus would’ve been packed with fans of both teams and people tailgating by 7 or 8 am as it was a noon game. Additionally there were likely tons of people visiting friday like Brendan was so I think it’s odd no one saw him or has recognized him.

I'm a Michigander too. I live about 20 minutes from Rochester Hills and an hour from MSU. It hits close to home, I have a nephew on campus at MSU and another at GVSU.

Latest info from the MSU Police: Missing Person Investigation – MSU Police and Public Safety

Sounds like that have quite a few agencies helping, including the FBI. Very sad to hear there's been no phone activity.

From the article:
The investigation has led us to focus on the Red Cedar River which is in very close proximity to Brendan’s last known location. However, we continue to investigate other possibilities. We are also continuing to use specialized resources from the Michigan State Police Marine Services Division, Ingham County Sheriff’s Office, and the Capital Area Dive Team for this intensive search of the water.

The MSU Police Digital Forensics and Cyber Crime Unit, working with the Michigan State Police Technical Services Unit, has used advanced techniques to review cellular, smartphone, and GPS data. The data is also being reviewed by the FBI. We have not recovered Brendan’s phone and records show no current activity. We are confident that we have obtained the available information from his digital footprint.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back