GUILTY MI - Connor Verkerke, 9, dies in playground stabbing, Kentwood, 4 Aug 2014

I think that bud has bloomed

This is a very rare occasion for me....I usually follow cases of child psychopaths....just not feeling it this time.
This kid IMO isn't the brightest bulb in the box & wanted his pain to end. Didn't know how to make that happen. At least that's the vibe I'm
getting thus far. ( I may change my mind later as more info comes out)

I don't think he is a psychopath or even budding.

I truly believe, he felt, no one loved him, he was worthless, and he wanted to be dead.

All IMO

http://woodtv.com/2014/08/25/target-8-youngest-murder-suspects-life-of-abuse/

A year before 12-year-old Jamarion Lawhorn admitted to stabbing a 9-year-old boy to death on a playground, he was the victim of abuse at the hands of his mother and stepfather, according to court records obtained by Target 8.

He lived in a “deplorable” home with no utilities, no sheets or blankets on the beds, cocaine paraphernalia in the bathroom, and little food in the kitchen, court records show.

Records show his mother, Anita Lawhorn, has a history of child abuse cases dating back to 1996 — that she voluntarily gave up young daughters in New York after allegations involving broken bones and apparent cigarette burns.

The more I learn about life, the more I believe that some people really are born without a soul or conscience or moral compass. But I think it's fairly rare, and that there are far more people who have it beaten out of them by abusive parents or just a crappy life in general. I can understand how this can happen. I get that a 12 year old could be so angry, so hurt, and so messed up that he could murder a child. I wish I could go back to being one of those people who can't understand how this could happen, but unfortunately I can't.

This happened not far from me. Also not far from me recently, a 14 year old girl gave birth all alone in her rural home and laid the baby girl on the side of the road, chord still attached. She was found by the man across the street who was walking his dog. The baby is ok, in foster care I think. The girl became pregnant at 13, lived alone with her father, rarely left the house and had no friends that anyone could recall. I get how this can happen too, but people here were calling here terrible names.

It's easy to judge if you're lucky enough to never have been a terrified, abused, mentally ruined child. I'm not directing this at anyone here, just my 2 cents regarding local public opinion.

From the linked article above, CPS has placed 3 siblings with a relative in the area.

If CPS or those relatives had paid attention and done something last year when they had "substantiated" physical abuse by the mother and stepfather, then there wouldn't be a dead 9 year old, and maybe it wouldn't have been too late to convince this poor 12 year old boy that there are people who care about him.

What a pity they can't charge the parents with this crime, also.

As to the 'soulless' thing, I think it's a point of view that should be punted back to the 16th Century where it belongs. Even the rare born-sociopaths can learn to live among other human beings harmlessly, given the right nurturing, as is evidenced by the many walking in the world today as productive, law abiding adults.

I just wonder how many children have to die, before the policy makers for child services learn to actually do their damn jobs, and allow their workers to more easily do theirs.

respectfully sniped

I just wonder how many children have to die, before the policy makers for child services learn to actually do their damn jobs, and allow their workers to more easily do theirs.

Probably as long as it will take for people to learn how to be decent to their own children or quit having them or don't have any at all.
IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely senseless act ... malicious ... unforgivable ... no rehabilitation! JMHO

If this twelve year old has seen that much violence in his daily life, and really killed someone so he'd be executed, I'm not surprised about any of that. He doesn't sound like a psychopath - no psychopath is going to call themselves worthless.

“Maybe even a hug would have done, you know. Maybe Connor could have gave him a hug,” Verkerke said. “I’m sure he would have given him a hug. If he’d known he needed one, he’d have given him one. He was that kind of kid.”

This made me cry...

A sharp contrast, also, between the two families.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/post_529.html

State Sen. Judy Emmons has called a hearing to investigate actions of protective services workers after a 12-year-old murder suspect was left in his parents’ care despite allegations he had been abused...

Recent court filings said that DHS workers last year “substantiated” physical abuse of the young defendant – at the hands of his mother, Anita Lawhorn, and stepfather, Bernard Harrold... An assistant prosecutor wanted the boy removed from the home and a CPS worker in Saginaw filled out paperwork for a suspected case of abuse, but another CPS worker in Montcalm County did not believe the child to be in danger...

She did not know what workers here knew about Anita Lawhorn previously losing children, but said: “This one involved an entirely different state."

I'm horrified this child was so desperate he killed another child.

This kid needs intensive therapy and a safe place to live. I hope he gets it in a specialized, highly skilled, therapeutic foster home. IMO

Horror all
Around.

IMO The killers mother should be tried for this crime....right along with anyone else that did nothing to save this kid.

My heart breaks for the amazingly sweet little boy that lost his life because so many others failed to do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of us have been abused at a young age and lived in bad conditions with horrible caregivers but never thought or carried out the harming of a complete stranger.

Me either.

But I love blended sentencing, especially if it includes intensive "treatment" by qualified professionals. If the child is still deemed a danger he/she can be moved over to adult prison
Society needs to be protected, the kid gets a shot a rehabilitation and if that's not successful...further incarceration.

Win-win IMO

Agreed. The issue of what to do with young, violent criminals is so important and so difficult. On the one hand, I believe that children, even kids who are on their way to being psychopaths (kids are only diagnosed with "conduct disorder" at the most), have malleable enough brains that their is a chance to heal and improve. We have actually seen that with some young murderers, like that girl, Mary Bell who killed little boys in England.

I think it depends on why they killed, how young they were, their capacity at the time for empathy, remorse, etc., their motivation for killing, and so on. In other words, I think an 8 year old bullied by a frightening father, who shoots his father dead out of desperation, may be more amenable to becoming a normal human being and citizen, than a 17 year old who coldly plots the kidnapping and torture-murder of a small child, for "kicks".

For me, I have a hard time believing that most violent children are irredeemable. I believe in the chance at redemption for kids. I believe that their brains are wired differently and that due to their immaturity, a child who is not a lost cause can do horrific, horrific things that he or she would never do once matured. In general, I do not think they should be tried as adults unless they are close to 18. However, I also think the juvenile system has to be flexible enough to be able to deal with children who kill and who will remain a danger to society. And sometimes, the juvenile justice system will never be enough for society when it comes to protection from some of these kids.

I remember a book I read called Loss of Innocence about the murder of two sisters, Sherry and Kristy Janson by their 13 year old neighbor. They were the only children their parents had. At the time, Colorado did not allow 13 year olds to be tried as adults.

Ironically, the Janson family had moved from California to live in a safer community. So did the killer's family. he stalked the neighborhood that day looking for a victim. He was known as a bully, troubled, but not abused in any way. he tried to entice out a two year old neighbor that day to "play", but the mother felt weird and said no. He then went to the Janson house where the girls were home alone after school.

He showed zero remorse for his crimes. He was sentenced as a juvenile and served until about age 16 or so I think. (In the book he;s called "Billy Keenan" but his name was actually something else which was published in the news at the time).

The rehab program he was in was intensive. It is fully described in the book. He was made to attend constant therapy, to have pictures of the girls in his cell, permanently, to discuss his guilt, acknowledge their suffering and humanity, and to abide by extremely strict rules meant to teach responsibility, accountability, obedience, compassion, manners. http://www.amazon.com/Loss-Innocence-Story-Juvenile-Murder/dp/038075987X#cm_cr_dpwidget His experience was supposed to have been successful.

I looked him up years later. Apparently, he moved to California, was involved in some tire slashing and theft. Years later, at age 30 he battered a girlfriend and threatened her, telling her he had killed little girls before and would kill her. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-83392231.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/DOUBLE+MURDERER+GETS+NEW+SENTENCE+IN+ASSAULT.-a083392231

I have no idea where he is now. He must be about 45 years old.

So, there are some kids who the system can't fix.

That being said, I think a mixed approach should at least be tried.

I'm struck also by the reaction of the family of Connor (BTW, can we get a better photo of him? I've only seen one). There are some here who are expressing hatred toward the 12 year old who murdered Connor. However, Connor's own family is not. They feel sorrow. I find that incredible. They sound like an amazing family with an amazing child. And if they can manage compassion and understanding in their darkest, most horrific hour, I have to at least try:

Although the family is “frustrated” with what’s happened, Stearns said he hasn’t heard much anger toward Lawhorn.

“Their hearts go out to the family of the young boy,” he said. “Even though we’re dealing with a different type of pain, they’ll be dealing with a similar pain every day for the rest of their lives. That’s not to be taken lightly.” http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/ill_always_love_you_family_rec.html

Bill Verkerke, the grandfather of victim Connor Verkerke, said that after learning about Jamarion’s background from Target 8, he is angry at the mother and the state.

“Anger is a justifiable emotion, but it’s worse than anger,” Verkerke said. “You can’t be mad at that child, the 12-year-old. What are you going to do to the state? I don’t know what you do with them. Could sue them I guess, but that won’t change anything.”

Connor’s grandfather says it’s clear Jamarion needed help.
“Maybe even a hug would have done, you know. Maybe Connor could have gave him a hug,” Verkerke said. “I’m sure he would have given him a hug. If he’d known he needed one, he’d have given him one. He was that kind of kid.”

http://woodtv.com/2014/08/25/target-8-youngest-murder-suspects-life-of-abuse/

Connor's family appears to be everything that Jamarion's should have been. Connor's life appears to have been everything that Jamarion's should have been.

Heartbreaking to read of some of the things Jamarion experienced in his 12 years that may have formed his desperate world view apparently filled with self hate. I wonder if Connor and his life represented everything he and his own life were not, hence him as choice of random victim for the suicide by cop design?

Just horrible what people do to their children.

Bless Connor's family for their forgiving and understanding hearts. They walk the walk and I have tremendous respect for that.

I've tried gitana. I really, really have tried.

I've tried gitana. I really, really have tried.

For whom do you think it's harder to try to have understanding and some compassion, you or the family of this beautiful little boy who was stabbed to death?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back