Identified! MI - Covert Township, WhtFem 730UFMI, 23-40, Near I-96, Oct'88 - Marcia Bateman

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 730UFMI
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/730ufmi.html
NamUs UP Case 6653 https://identifyus.org/cases/6653

730UFMI2.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on October 12, 1988 in Covert Township, Van Buren County, Michigan
Estimated Date of Death: 1985-1988
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 23-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 55"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown to blond hair. Long and possibly wavy.
Dentals: Available

Case History
The victim was located near intersection of rt. I-96 and County Road 378.

Here's a new case added to NamUs who fits very cleanly to this Jane Doe:

Shirley Jo Kelly
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/11768/8
2171823790045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
730UFMI2.jpg
2121408060045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Blond Hair - Age is right, Height is right (within an inch). Location is spot-on. She looks just like the reconstruction.

The only inconsistency that I see is that three-year timeframe is a little long, considering that the body still had hair. The postmortem interval for the UID is two months according to NamUs. But according to DoeNetwork, the estimated date of death is 1985 to 1988, which would be consistent.

ETA: I just kicked off an e-mail to Trooper Krebs to see if she has compared Shirley to this Jane Doe (and requesting that she do so if she has not).

A 0-3 year time frame according to NamUs. I'd submit this one.

A 0-3 year time frame according to NamUs. I'd submit this one.

That's strange. It says 2 months as the postmortem interval, but then says that estimated time of death is 1985-1988.

I did just send an e-mail to Trooper Krebs, Rose Sacchetti, and Norman Sauer.

Maybe it was a data entry error which should have been 2 years instead of 2 months. Since the NamUs profile reads complete or near complete skeletal remains, 2 mo's has to be an error.

Height is right (within an inch).

The UID is listed in both Namus and Doe as being 55 inches tall. Shirley is listed as being 66 inches tall. 55 inches is 4'7".

if you get a response Carl, you might want to ask them if the height is correct for the UID.

The UID is listed in both Namus and Doe as being 55 inches tall. Shirley is listed as being 66 inches tall. 55 inches is 4'7".

if you get a response Carl, you might want to ask them if the height is correct for the UID.

Oops, I read that as 5'5", but you're right. I would bet that it should be 5'5", as 4'7" is extremely short for an adult woman. If that is an error, it may explain why this case would not come up on their radar when looking for matches to Shirley Kelly.

ETA: I called Trooper Krebs. She just entered Shirley's NamUs case yesterday, and doesn't know whether any possibles have popped up for her yet. I said that it might not come up due to the 10" listed height difference, but I asked her to check into whether there is an error on the Covert Jane Doe's height.

She said that she has not been to her office yet, but she will look into it when she gets to her office.

Any comments about the liklihood of this Missing Person being a match: NamUs MP # 901

Any comments about the liklihood of this Missing Person being a match: NamUs MP # 901

I think she looks like a good possible. Height is off but given the discrepencies already pointed out that wouldn't put me off too much.

:wagon:

May I please ask do you know anymore on this Jane Doe?Are they getting right now DNA on her?Does someone have a map of where this Jane Doe was found?

It says her dentals are available, but not yet entered. Maybe you can submit Tammy?

It says her dentals are available, but not yet entered. Maybe you can submit Tammy?
I'm trying to get a hold of LE now to see if they are getting DNA on this Jane Doe.I think she looks a little like this picture of my sister Tammy.

securedownload-1.jpg

I want this Jane Doe checked with her.

That's a beautiful picture, Suzanne. Please let us know what the LE contact says.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back