MI - Deuntay Miller, 2, body found burned, Detroit, 11 Nov 2007

From clickondetroit updated article....

Joseph Miller III and Nickello Reid were arraigned on charges of: felony murder, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison without parole; involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison; child abuse first-degree, which carries a maximum penalty of up to 15 years in prison; mutilation of a dead body, which carries a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in prison; and, welfare fraud over $500, which carries a maximum penalty of up to four years in prison.Reid was charged with another count of welfare fraud over $500 and two counts of failure to inform, each of which carries a maximum penalty of up to four years in prison.

I suspect LE went to the house where the body was hidden because the relative that lived there was sane enough to perhaps have found it odd that on that occasion, he came there to do laundry. From what I have read, several relatives were beginning to ask where this child was....and were being told that he was with other relatives. Some of them were beginning to suspect that the little boy was dead. Several aspects of this case keep nagging at me. First - how the heck did they think they were going to explain his absence in the long run? Did they honestly think they could say he was with other people forever??? I will never cease to be amazed at this seemingly denial of reality that some criminals wallow in. Second - the relatives. I can't imagine having a relative that I suspected had murdered their child!!! Third - the parents. What kind of Hell must one live in, that would allow you to lay your head upon a pillow and go to sleep after placing the lifeless body of your baby on a grill? The story reminds me of a gothic version of a family like the one in Texas Chain Saw Massacre. As much as I hate the parents, there is a part of me that is sad for them. Thanks to Websleuths, I realize how stupid I am being - they may have slept soundly the very first night!!!! I guess I just keep trying to bestow human emotions on monsters. Silly me.... :eek:

First - how the heck did they think they were going to explain his absence in the long run? Did they honestly think they could say he was with other people forever???

It's actually kind of a common occurrence, in certain parts of Detroit as well as the out lying burbs, (Could be everywhere, but I'm familiar w/ these parts lol) for grandparents, older siblings, aunties etc, to step in and raise the children.

In a 2000 census, there was over 17000 grandparents raising their grandchildren...sometimes when that happens the parents literally turn their back and walk away. So While I'm not defending the parents, I can see where one set of relatives would "buy" the situation of the child not being around....

From the sounds of it locally, there was more than one father with the children (Not fact, just heresay) so more than likely the two families weren't "close" to eachother, and w/ the the maternal grandma "in on the fraud" I can see why the "father's" family, may have "bought" into it at first. ....

I have no words..... awful.... can't comprehend the lack of compassion the parents must have to be able to do that. Poor, poor little kid.

I suspect LE went to the house where the body was hidden because the relative that lived there was sane enough to perhaps have found it odd that on that occasion, he came there to do laundry. From what I have read, several relatives were beginning to ask where this child was....and were being told that he was with other relatives. Some of them were beginning to suspect that the little boy was dead. Several aspects of this case keep nagging at me. First - how the heck did they think they were going to explain his absence in the long run? Did they honestly think they could say he was with other people forever??? I will never cease to be amazed at this seemingly denial of reality that some criminals wallow in. Second - the relatives. I can't imagine having a relative that I suspected had murdered their child!!! Third - the parents. What kind of Hell must one live in, that would allow you to lay your head upon a pillow and go to sleep after placing the lifeless body of your baby on a grill? The story reminds me of a gothic version of a family like the one in Texas Chain Saw Massacre. As much as I hate the parents, there is a part of me that is sad for them. Thanks to Websleuths, I realize how stupid I am being - they may have slept soundly the very first night!!!! I guess I just keep trying to bestow human emotions on monsters. Silly me.... :eek:

Excellent post, Reannan!
You've said it all!
It is so incomprehensible to us, but yet, it may have been their norm!

This family obviously has no conscience, and they had no love for the child and children they brought into the world. Their children were used, used to perpetuate an income. Nothing more! Sickens me!!!:furious:

Yes how can they lay down and sleep each night?

I swear to God, if they get a sentence that does not assure they will never see the light of day again, my head will explode and think I will have to start a campaign.

Oh Brefie you might want to put a tarp down then. Guess I don't have much faith in the system at this point in time.

I swear to God, if they get a sentence that does not assure they will never see the light of day again, my head will explode and think I will have to start a campaign.

DITTO!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090324/METRO01/903240333/1409/METRO

March 24, 2009
Parents plead guilty over abuse, tot's death

Nickella Reid, 23, pleaded guilty in Wayne County Circuit Court on Monday to involuntary manslaughter and welfare fraud in connection with the February 2006 or 2007 death of her son, Deuntay Miller.

Joseph Miller, 28, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for Deuntay's death and first-degree child abuse for the massive scalding burns suffered by another of the couple's children...

...A 36th District judge, Donald Coleman, earlier dismissed all charges related to Deuntay's death saying he saw no evidence that linked to the parents. Those charges were restored on appeal by the prosecutor.

More at link.

Sadly, we do not have the death penalty here in MI.

This is a case of why the death penalty should be instituted in each state. But, that's JMHO.

Up to 15 years, huh? :furious: SICK!

On my way home from work yesterday on the subway a young mom with an 11 month old boy sat down next to me. He was so cute and friendly. He kept touching my hair and laughing and he was fascinated by my earrings. There was a man on the other side of her was male, Hispanic, obviously worked construction and the baby kept smiling and reaching out to touch him too. I remember thinking how special he was, how innocent, how pure he still was with no prejudices, no hatred, he saw no color, no race or creed and to think of a child that age being tortured, robbed of his/her innocence, hurt, yet I bet that child still reached out for his mommy when he needed comfort or affection. A baby's love is truly unconditional and their spirit is hard to break. I hope those children find happy homes with loving parents. They deserve it.

People who abuse children and animals should be 'taken care of'. It would be doing society a HUGE FAVOR. What is it saying about our society that someone can murder a child, barbeque the body and hide it and only get 15 YEARS while some drug dealer who got busted selling dope is in there for the same amount of time or longer.
You know that phrase - the punishment should fit the crime? Yeah, that sounds good to me.

I remember thinking how special he was, how innocent, how pure he still was with no prejudices, no hatred, he saw no color, no race or creed and to think of a child that age being tortured, robbed of his/her innocence, hurt, yet I bet that child still reached out for his mommy when he needed comfort or affection. A baby's love is truly unconditional and their spirit is hard to break. I hope those children find happy homes with loving parents. They deserve it.

People who abuse children and animals should be 'taken care of'. It would be doing society a HUGE FAVOR. What is it saying about our society that someone can murder a child, barbeque the body and hide it and only get 15 YEARS while some drug dealer who got busted selling dope is in there for the same amount of time or longer.
You know that phrase - the punishment should fit the crime? Yeah, that sounds good to me.

I could not agree more.

...A 36th District judge, Donald Coleman, earlier dismissed all charges related to Deuntay's death saying he saw no evidence that linked to the parents. Those charges were restored on appeal by the prosecutor.

I couldn't believe it when I read this part of the article about this case. Sounds to me like judge Coleman needs to be dismissed from his throne in the courthouse. What an idiot. How could that not have been linked to the parents...

I couldn't read the story about what the parents actually did to this baby boy. I just can't handle it anymore. It is to horrible.

One parent got "UP TO" 15 yrs which could mean a couple years in reality. I swear our judicial system isn't worth a dime anymore. You can get more time for selling drugs like someone else said. Kids still aren't worth much when it comes to the system. Parents can do horrible things to their children and it is no big deal to our wonderful judicial system. Some states have better laws and sentencing standards then others but this state takes the cake. I just wonder what happens when awful things happen to the children of these bigwigs???? I'll bet they wouldn't settle for a lousy "UP TO" 15 years if someone damaged or murdered their child or grandchild.

Why don't we as a community do something? a petition? MAss amounts of letters to congresspeople? The President? We cannot physically go out and exact appropriate revenge upon those who have hurt the young and the old and the innocent. We NEED to do something not just say how the system sucks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back