MI MI - Erin Taylor, 24, Marquette, 11 August 2000

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
13181bd1-22d5-42c6-b624-ad2da57486d6_zpsf812dc64.jpg

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/603742.html

Fourteen years ago Wednesday, the body of Erin Rebecca Taylor, 24, was found in the woods off of Marquette County Road 492 in Negaunee Township - nine days after she was reported missing...

Despite following many leads and scenarios for different suspects, the case has grown cold, according to Marquette City Police Department Chief Mike Angeli, who worked on the case in 2000.

"It's always an open case, but it only would be worked on if something new came forward, and we've covered all the bases as far as I can tell," Angeli said. "At this point, there really is nowhere else to look. And unless something significant develops, it will remain a cold case."

There seemed to be a pretty good suspect back in 2008, but no charges have ever been filed:

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/514433/It-was-murder.html?nav=5006

Police say Taylor was strangled in her home and then dumped here, miles away, the ligature remaining around her neck...

Warchock said police remain interested in a prime suspect they developed not long after the killing who knew Taylor. Investigators said the unidentified suspect initially reported Taylor missing to police. The summer after the murder, search warrants were served on property owned by the suspect in Chocolay Township. Police seized several items, including an envelope containing information about Taylor's murder and cards and letters from her...

Police believe the killer was someone familiar with out-of-the-way locations like the woodland dump site where her body was found lying face up, covered with blankets, with some of her belongings folded beneath her.

Strange...Killed inside the home they say. Then transported miles away and dumped. Usually the victim is taken somewhere than killed then dumped. Not often do I read where they were killed in there home and than taken some where and dumped.
My first thought this was done to turn it into a simple missing person case at the beginning.

To get this case reopened someone is going to have to think Wayyyyy outside the box.

Police say Taylor was strangled in her home........What evidence indicated she was strangled inside her home and NOT at the place she was found. Would have been easy and less risky to strangled her at the site for transportation reasons than kill her first in the home and than move the body miles away......Does anyone have an answer?

I am not 100 percent sold she was killed in her house.

Was there evidence of a struggle at the home and is that why they believe she was killed there?
If there was evidence of a struggle could have meant she tried to avoid being taken away from the home.

No sexual assault??..Anyone?

What was the item used to strangle her. Rope, Belt, electrical cord. Something from inside the house they determined and not something that was brought with the killer?

141]Strange...Killed inside the home they say. Then transported miles away and dumped. Usually the victim is taken somewhere than killed then dumped. Not often do I read where they were killed in there home and than taken some where and dumped.
My first thought this was done to turn it into a simple missing person case at the beginning.

To get this case reopened someone is going to have to think Wayyyyy outside the box.

Police say Taylor was strangled in her home........What evidence indicated she was strangled inside her home and NOT at the place she was found. Would have been easy and less risky to strangled her at the site for transportation reasons than kill her first in the home and than move the body miles away......Does anyone have an answer?

Was there evidence of a struggle at the home and is that why they believe she was killed there?
If there was evidence of a struggle could have meant she tried to avoid being taken away from the home.

What was the item used to strangle her. Rope, Belt, electrical cord. Something from inside the house they determined and not something that was brought with the killer?[/QUOTE]

Yes, she was murdered Inside her home. I cannot get into much detail, but she was strangled with her own scarf and wrapped in a blanket she had hanging on her wall. The necklace she always wore was found in pieces behind her bed. She was moved to the woods to conceal evidence and to give the murderer time to clean up the crime scene.

I actually know this case. In fact, we have a summer home in the general area. The day Erin turned up missing, I actually ran into a young man when I was picking blueberries on a side of a road. This car pulled up to me to ask me where he could find a lake. In this area there are probably 7 lakes. The road he approached me on was a road that leads to Bass Lake Campground. There are a couple of signs that he passed that say Bass Lake and Horseshoe lake. He said he was looking for Cass Lake. Again, there are a couple of signs that say Bass Lake. I told him if he was looking for Bass Lake, he needed to turn around and follow this road that would take him to Bass Lake. Obviously he was looking for a specific persons home. My radar was up! He said I don't know, I am just trying to find a lake. Again, there are multiple lakes in the area. I again gave him directions to Bass Lake. He said he needed to go get some gas and he would probably be back later. As he drove off, I noticed his license plate said Oklahoma! What was this guy doing up here. I continued to pick berries and went to several different areas along the same road. I was off on a side dirt road when I heard a car coming down the tarred road. I stepped out on the dirt road and the car stopped. He then turned coming in my direction. I immediately ran to my car. He drove by very slowly. I then drove my car very fast and returned home to tell my family about this guy. He was young, maybe in his mid to late twenties. He drove a blue 4 door sedan. We live in Milwaukee and we were leaving the next day, Sunday, because my husband and I work during the week. My parents stay there in the summer time. We returned the next weekend and on Saturday my mom told me to call the police right away because a woman turned up missing. I called the Michigan state police and told them about this guy I ran into. They never contacted me again.
I feel that this guy had something to do with this murder. He had absolutely no reason to be up there. He was acting very strange. I think he was driving around looking for a place because he had a plan to kill her. My whole family feel the same way. I do not remember the license plate number but I have heard hypnotism can bring out information that you may not remember.
I just do not understand why the police never contacted me again. Do they have all their eggs in a basket on this one guy they THINK may have something to do with it? I have often thought about contacting the police again as this still bothers me today.

141]Strange...Killed inside the home they say. Then transported miles away and dumped. Usually the victim is taken somewhere than killed then dumped. Not often do I read where they were killed in there home and than taken some where and dumped.

What was the item used to strangle her. Rope, Belt, electrical cord. Something from inside the house they determined and not something that was brought with the killer?

The above is actually my posting not catwoman62. Just wanted to clarify that.
The following in brown is catwoman62 responce.
Yes, she was murdered Inside her home. I cannot get into much detail, but she was strangled with her own scarf and wrapped in a blanket she had hanging on her wall. The necklace she always wore was found in pieces behind her bed. She was moved to the woods to conceal evidence and to give the murderer time to clean up the crime scene.[/QUOTE]

WeLL, since you provided no links that states what you posted I will reply as if that is the case without knowing for sure. If you say she was strangled with her own scarf and wrapped in a blanket she had hanging on her wall then I assume she was found with the scarf still around her neck or nearby? And wrapped/laying in the blanket? How would you know it was hanging on the wall. Have you been in the place before her murder? Or is this all hearsay?

And your quote...She was moved to the woods to conceal evidence and to give the murderer time to clean up the crime scene...End of quote.
Only the killer would know that for sure. The police could speculate that was the reason, but only the killer would know for sure.........Seems strange the killer would transport her miles away and then return to clean up? That would be risky! Seems it would have been better to clean up then travel the miles to dispose of her.......So somethings are not making sense...Would have made better since to just leave the body there then risk the chance on getting caught with it during transportation. But taking her somewhere and killing her and leaving her would make more sense.

So your saying the killer arrived. Strangled her to death with her own scarf she had. Wrapped her in a blanket she had hanging on a wall, left with the body for miles trip, dropped off the body, traveled back to the place of the murder to do some after killing cleaning..Is this what your saying??

EDIT...OK, i just read this in first post..........Police say Taylor was strangled in her home and then dumped here, miles away, the ligature remaining around her neck...OK, so the item used to kill her was found still around her neck. Though still looking have not seen where it has been stated it was a scarf. So for now I will say it was a scarf that you mentioned.
And the blanket, still looking for a link from that..But you are sure! It was a blanket she had hanging on the wall. Was this a special blanket, like a home made blanket grandparents used to make for the grandkids or something of value to her, is that why it was hanging on the wall........Was it hanging behind the bed on the wall in her bedroom. Is the bedroom the room they speculate she was killed in.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to you. I didn't notice you had responded to my post in August.

EDIT2...Quote from first posting...Police believe the killer was someone familiar with out-of-the-way locations like the woodland dump site where her body was found lying face up, covered with blankets, with some of her belongings folded beneath her... End of Quotee of How do you know one of the blankets were hanging on the wall? Is that public knowledge, posted somewhere?

Found covered with blankets, with some of her belongings folded beneath her.......Would these belongings be clothing she was wearing? Hard to imagine the killer would take other items from the place of murder just to fold them and place them underneath her.

EDIT 3...Since it appears the killer came with nothing to commit the murder. This could have been someone she let in for whatever reason, and at some point things turned bad. Maybe he wanted more then she was wanting to give and he became enrage for being turn down and strangled her with her own scarf that was near by. Took the blanket off the wall put her in it, and took off to dispose of her. MAYBE, he believed he forgot something at the crime scene that could identify him, and that is why he went back, if he did go back, such as a wallet, or student id card he may had left behind during a struggle. The only reason i would see him go back would be to recover something he assumed he lost there and could lead to his arrest.........Just a speculative theory based on what you posted.

EDIT 4..Maybe I am getting to old for cold cases. I don't know why but I just assumed she was a college student at Marquette University living on campus and was murder on a campus housing. And a possible suspect could have been a college student whom went back to the place to retrieve a lost wallet or id that he left in the struggle.

Theres nothing i have read to indicate at all she was a student at the university. So I don't know why I was looking at this case as if she was.....

there are only two unsolved homicides in Marquette. Her death and the stabbing of Paul Girard in '88.

Law enforcement knows who killed both paul larson and erin taylor. They know exactly what happened. Neither victim will ever get justice because there is never going to be anymore proof than they already have. Erin was murdered by an old man who she first lived with when she moved to Marquette. This old man became infatuated and when Erin moved out and started dating, this old man tried to stop her. He went to her house and strangled her. He panicked and/or didn't know what to do so he drove home and got his wife. Together, they drove back to erin's house and wrapped her in a floor rug, got her in their truck and dumped her body where it was eventually found. This old man has never even had a parking ticket. He will never be charged and will never do time. It's very sad for erin's family and friends. Such a shame. I will not reveal this old mans name but he is the person law enforcement suspected early on and it was his home they searched. ALLEGEDLY. About paul larson, he was murdered by a prison guard who eventually moved away from Marquette but I heard he later moved back. Again, not enough evidence. And I will not mention his name either as my statements are alleged.

They never called you because they know who killed erin and it wasn't the person you saw.

Conflicting (I think) information in those articles.
One article states that Erin was home alone the night of her murder, and had called a friend because she wanted company, but her friend couldn't come over.
Other articles state that Erin was slated to meet a man that she had met online in Munising. That man was questioned and cleared.

I wonder why she was home alone instead of going to the planned meeting? When did she decide not to go? Did she notify this guy who was waiting for her?
Reading on...

Taylor would have been 44 this year. Dowd said one thing her friend always looked forward to was turning a quarter of a century, which she missed by just a few months before her life was cut short. Dowd thought at this age she’d have stood as maid of honor in Taylor’s wedding and would have watched her children grow up, she said.

On Tuesday, Dowd released a bouquet of balloons each with a different memory for Taylor; some read “Erin bear,”“www.justiceforerintaylor.com”and “love you always.”

As she released the balloons and watched each pass the tree line, one balloon stayed nestled in the canopy.

“Miss you,”it read.

“Maybe, she’s just trying to tell me she misses me,”Dowd said.

For more information on Erin Taylor, to leave a tip or to donate to the reward offered, visit www.justiceforerintaylor.com.

Trinity Carey can be reached at 906-228-2500, ext. 206.

Marquette cold case remains unsolved after 19 years | News, Sports, Jobs - The Daily news

Bumping for the anniversary of this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back