MI MI - Jane Allan, 13, Royal Oak, 7 August 1976

Nina Michigan

Verified President/Founder of Missing in Michigan
Reaction score
Thirteen year old Jane Allan lived on Guthrie St in Royal Oak, the youngest child in her family. She had a history of difficult behavior, including running away from home in the months prior to her disappearance.

On the day in question she hitchhiked from her home near 11 Mile and I-75 in Royal Oak to the home of her boyfriend, he lived off Walton in either "Pontiac Township" or "Auburn Heights" (now Auburn Hills) they visited for a few hours and his mother offered her a ride home. Jane declined and walked toward the University/I-75 interchange looking for a ride south.

She wouldn't be seen alive again. a few days later and a hundred and some miles south of her Michigan home, the body of a "young woman" is pulled from the Great Miami River near Miamisburg, OH. It will take a few days, but eventually a note in the victim's pocket points to the Pontiac Twp/Auburn Hgts area and a link is made to Jane Allen.

One of the things that frustrates me about her case is that the press dismissed her as a runaway. She did have a history of running away, but she hadn't done so in months. At the time of her kidnapping and murder, she was headed home, to her family.

Her case remains open and unsolved. Detective Jeff Muncy in Miamisburg is working her murder and interested in speaking to anyone who may have information on her case.

upload_2018-11-28_8-31-34.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Always have been interested in her case, sad whenever I’ve seen it, always seemed to be a little side note to the “possible” connection to OCCK. Was always curious as to how they thought she was killed, Carbon Monoxide poisoning if I remember correctly, seems like such a weird way to kill a kidnapped victim..Also was before my time, curious if they ever really had a proper investigation into her murder?

If you put someone in the trunk of a car with bad exhaust, they could die of carbon monoxide poisoning

Jane Louise Allen

While the Oakland County Child Killer has only been officially linked to four murders, many investigators, both professional and amateur, have linked him to other cases in the Oakland County area. One of those cases is the murder of Jane Allen...

… Fourteen-year-old (some sources say that she was 13) Jane Allen was kidnapped on August 8, 1976, while she was hitchhiking between Pontiac and Royal Oak, Michigan. Her body was found three days later floating in the Miami River in Miamisburg, Ohio. Allen’s wrists had been bound behind her back with torn strips taken from a white T-shirt. The decomposition of Jane’s body made it impossible to tell whether or not she had been sexually assaulted, but Ohio investigators did deduce that Jane was already dead by the time that she had been thrown into the river. Investigators also suspected that Jane had died due to carbon monoxide poisoning...

LINK:
10 Horrific Facts About The Oakland County Child Killer - Listverse

Jane Louise Allen

Jane Louise Allen

Jane Louise “Janey” Allen
Birth 1963
Death 8 Aug 1976 (age 13)
Ohio, USA
Burial Cremated

Jane Louise "Janey" Allen, 13, was last seen attempting to hitchhike between Pontiac and Royal Oak, Michigan Aug. 8, 1976. Three days later, her body was found in the greater Miami River in Miamisburg, Ohio. Her wrists had been tied behind her back with torn strips of a t-shirt. Jane had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Source:
Jane Louise “Janey” Allen (1963-1976) - Find A...

The reason I don't think she was an OCCK victim is that Jane was an "early bloomer" she didn't look like a child, she looked like a woman. When her body was found, she was thought to be 16-18 years old.

The reason I don't think she was an OCCK victim is that Jane was an "early bloomer" she didn't look like a child, she looked like a woman. When her body was found, she was thought to be 16-18 years old.

You make an interesting point. Another possible reason for thinking that it might have been another perpetrator is the distance that her body was moved from Oakland County.

That said, Janey's abduction did occur in Royal Oak (Oakland County) in August 1976, during the time that the OCCK was committing his crimes against children. And a study of his known or strongly linked victims shows deviations in his MO.

If Janey was NOT a victim of the OCCK, then consideration should be given to the likely hood of two or more killers/predators working the area at the same time.

You make an interesting point. Another possible reason for thinking that it might have been another perpetrator is the distance that her body was moved from Oakland County.

That said, Janey's abduction did occur in Royal Oak (Oakland County) in August 1976, during the time that the OCCK was committing his crimes against children. And a study of his known or strongly linked victims shows deviations in his MO.

If Janey was NOT a victim of the OCCK, then consideration should be given to the likely hood of two or more killers/predators working the area at the same time.

She was not taken from Royal Oak. She resided in Royal Oak with her family. Jane was last seen near I-75 and University. She'd been visiting with her boyfriend and declined the offer of a ride home from his mom. She was hitchhiking when she vanished.

I don't think her death was related to the OCCK. I wish we knew more, I do know that the Miamisburg Ohio police are still investigating and interested.

She was not taken from Royal Oak. She resided in Royal Oak with her family. Jane was last seen near I-75 and University. She'd been visiting with her boyfriend and declined the offer of a ride home from his mom. She was hitchhiking when she vanished.

I don't think her death was related to the OCCK. I wish we knew more, I do know that the Miamisburg Ohio police are still investigating and interested.

Pontiac and Royal Oak are both in Oakland County. She was supposedly hitch hiking between the two cities and never reached her intended destination.

The fact that she was found so far away (Near Cincinnati, Ohio) would tend to argue against the OCCK theory, since his four "known" victims' bodies were all placed in locations closer to where they were taken, they were laid out in clean clothes (their own which had been cleaned) and were found a short time after their deaths.

If there were more than one killer (perhaps working together, perhaps separately) then there may have been different MO's involved.

There may well be a connection between Janey's killer and Ohio. He may have come from there, traveled through there, or knew people there. That possible connection might link her murder to other victims and other suspects.

Almost five years after Jane Allen was abducted, murdered, and her body dumped in Miami County, Ohio, another young woman was found murdered in the same county. She was a Jane Doe known as "Buckskin Girl" for 37 Years before she was finally identified in 2018 as Marcia King of Arkansas. Her killer has yet to be identified.

I wonder if there might be a connection between these two cases.

LINK:
Marcia Lenore “Buckskin Girl” King (1959-1981) -...

In 1967, a 14 year old Toledo, Ohio girl named Aileen Adams was abducted, held prisoner, tortured and murdered and her body dumped in Macomb County, Michigan.

She was soon identified, but her killer remained unidentified for many years. He was Robert Bowman, who was finally identified, arrested, tried and convicted in 2011.

Bowman is now serving a life sentence in an Ohio prison. He traveled between Ohio and Michigan in the 1960's and 70's. By 1980 he disappeared for a time, but was believed to have been a transient who lived in both Florida and California for periods.

Could he have been responsible for Jane Allen's abduction and murder - or of other unsolved cases from that era?

LINKS:

Eileen Adams Murder 1967 | In Memory of the Murdered and Missing

Man who sexually assaulted, brutally murdered girl he kidnapped and held captive, gets life in prison

Robert Bowman sentenced to life for 1967 murder of Eileen Adams, 14 | Daily Mail Online

I am really happy to report that I made contact (finally!) with the family of Jane Allan.

Jane's mother is still alive and still hoping for answers surrounding this case.

I am going to ask Admin to correct the title of this thread. Jane Allan is the correct spelling of her name.

Photo shared with permission from family <3

upload_2020-5-30_13-38-33.png

This August will mark the 46 year anniversary of Jane Allen's murder. Perhaps a look at other cases from the 1976 time frame and the Michigan/Ohio area will turn up some leads to this old case.

I found this in an old pdf related to the Oakland County Child Killer as she was mistakenly supposed to be a victim. Anyway, it has some data

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-002140_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715-002140_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 22
upload_2020-5-30_13-38-33-png.249207

Jane Allan, 13 years old, murdered 17 August 1976
Home town: Royal Oak, (Oakland County) Michigan

1716477484837.png

On August 11, 1976, the victim, 13yr old Jane Louise Allan, was found deceased in the Great Miami River 3/4 of a mile south of the Linden Avenue bridge in Miamisburg, Ohio. Allan had her hands tied behind her back and her ankles tied together, both with white cloth and string/rope. Allan had a torn t-shirt tied around her neck. Allan's autopsy shows that her cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning. It was discovered that Allan was from Royal Oak, Michigan. Allan left her residence on August 7, 1976 and is said to have hitch-hiked to a friends in Auburn Heights, Michigan before leaving there to go to I-75 in order to hitch-hike back home. Allan was reported missing by her father on August 8, 1976. Detectives with Miamisburg have worked with Michigan authorities, to include a task force that had been formed in Michigan, in an effort to identify Allan's killer.

Allan - Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost

Wonder when the last time was that the police looked into this case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74