GUILTY MI - Jesse Miles, 69, shot to death, Niles Twp, 7 March 2010

We don't have much to go on but one thing I do see is this statement:

“He sat by his grandfather and argued with himself about shooting his grandfather,” the document reads."

This could either be a fairly immature explanation of what a conscience is or it could be the very beginnings of delusional thought. If the boy truly loved the grandfather and there is no known abuse or cruelty, I'm going to lean towards delusional thought. He's the right age and known to be quiet (both strong factors in psychosis). Onset of psychosis is typically around the mid-teens to mid-twenties. It's heartbreaking because your seemingly wonderful child just fades away and becomes someone you don't know.

How sad for all involved. I can agree that it is evil but evil that snuck in the back door with no invitation from a kid who might not know what hit him.

i was wondering if he was abused but i dont think he was.

there's something i want to say here but i'll look stupid if i do

oh screw it.

the fact he argued with himself about doing it..........i wonder if the autopsy will show gramps was terminally ill.

kbl, you never look stupid--misguided (IMO) and loony sometimes, but never stupid. That's a chilling thought. That could explain the 3 am time. That's a really strange time for a murder. You may be on to something. That would be an awful lot for a young boy to carry on his shoulders. Don't you think that some comment would have already come out, though, concerning mitigating factors?

Sad sad sad.

maybe most of the family doesnt know? i dont know.

and there are obviously parts of the police report that are being omitted, why? i mean they make it sound like he just decided to do it on a whim.........but his behavior to this point in his life does not indicate he would do so.

I hope we find out, eventually, as there are too many kids killing each other or their parents or relatives. Sometimes for very stupid reasons, so I don't like assuming or jumping to conclusions about abuse, etc...kids are just not like they used to be, their triggers are different (no pun intended) their sense of reality is skewed, TV, video, whatever it is, I know when i was 14 I certainly would have had no excuse if I shot someone, I had a job at 14, had an early driver's permit, knew plenty of responsible teens in my small town. 14-year olds have sex, drink, do drugs, etc...things that could cause trouble at home. If he is mentally ill and guns were around him, that is a mistake on part of the family as they had to know. I just would like to know what the motive is, if there was one. I hope it does not turn out to be I wanted to see what it was like, kind of thing, we have seen before. I guess I am just tired of increase of # of violent teens; society is likely at fault, but knowing that isn't helping solve it. Sorry to rant.

Students shocked by Eliason case

Classmates say Dakotah Eliason, who has been charged with his grandfather's murder, was a 'good kid'
By DEBRA HAIGHT - H-P Correspondent
Published: Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:09 PM EST

NILES - Dakotah Eliason's Niles High School classmates described the 14-year-old freshman as a quiet kid who got good grades.

Several students stopped to talk with The Herald-Palladium after school Wednesday afternoon. They said they and their classmates were shocked to learn that Dakotah allegedly shot and killed his paternal grandfather, Jesse Miles, early Sunday morning.

Dakotah has been charged as an adult in Berrien County Trial Court with open murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. His next court appearances are Friday and Tuesday.

"He was a real good kid," fellow freshman Tyler Dokey said. "He got good grades, he was real funny and he was never rude. This was a big shock to everybody."

Tyler and fellow freshman Austin Pena said Dakotah wasn't in any extracurricular activities at either the high school this year or at Ring Lardner Middle School.

They and other students said they never heard Dakotah talk about having any arguments or fights with his grandfather or other family members.

"This is a real bummer," Austin said. "He was nice, funny and easy to get along with."

Fellow freshman Troy Henry said he knew Dakotah's family, including the grandparents, more than he knew Dakotah. "He was always over there and he'd play video games all the time," he said.

Freshman Alexandria Haney said Dakotah was in her history class. "This was a surprise to everybody," she said. "He was quiet and kept to himself."

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2010/03/11/local_news/1268618.txt

12129446_BG1.jpg

14-year-old Niles boy to appear in court
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 6:28 AM MST

Dakotah Eliason, the 14-year-old Niles boy who is facing murder charges for shooting his grandfather in the head, is scheduled to be in court on Friday.

Jesse Miles, 69, also of Niles was shot in the head on Sunday morning

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=12129446

There's another interesting comment which I just noticed from the link above:

"According to court documents, Dakotah was standing outside with his grandmother. Jesse Miles was “inside on the couch bleeding heavily,” the complaint and warrant sheet reads."

If my husband had just been shot and was bleeding to death, I don't think I'd be standing outside. I think I'd be holding him and staying close, even long after I was certain he was dead. I would far too distraught to stand outside. But Dakotah's grandma stood outside with him.

Possibly the death was very gruesome and it was obvious that the man was dead and she followed her grandson out front to wait for the police. Something seems a little off, though. I would think that she'd stay with the body and the boy would wait out front or take off. I think she was either talking Dakotah into giving himself up, convincing him not to shoot himself, or possibly consoling him--maybe all of the above. You notice that she didn't fear him or attack him or lock him out. Just something to think about.

I agree kbl. The only other thing I can think of is that the boy was fed up with his grandfather being abusive to himself or to the grandmother. I find it interesting that the grandfather was sleeping on the couch (I'm assuming that was reported by the grandmother) and would seem to hold up as there didn't seem to be a struggle.

The man could have merely fallen asleep there watching TV, he could have been kicked out of the bedroom, he could have been ill, or he could have been waiting for a late grandson.

I wonder, if the grandfather is found to have been ill or if there was abuse or domestic violence, how this will be handled?

i just had another thought as horrible as it is.

what if the kid is covering for grandma?

I hope we find out, eventually, as there are too many kids killing each other or their parents or relatives. Sometimes for very stupid reasons, so I don't like assuming or jumping to conclusions about abuse, etc...kids are just not like they used to be, their triggers are different (no pun intended) their sense of reality is skewed, TV, video, whatever it is, I know when i was 14 I certainly would have had no excuse if I shot someone, I had a job at 14, had an early driver's permit, knew plenty of responsible teens in my small town. 14-year olds have sex, drink, do drugs, etc...things that could cause trouble at home. If he is mentally ill and guns were around him, that is a mistake on part of the family as they had to know. I just would like to know what the motive is, if there was one. I hope it does not turn out to be I wanted to see what it was like, kind of thing, we have seen before. I guess I am just tired of increase of # of violent teens; society is likely at fault, but knowing that isn't helping solve it. Sorry to rant.

The articles state that Dakota played video games a lot. So was he up at three in the morning and his grandfather got up and caught him on the computer and told him to go to bed? Had the grandfather told him he didn't need to play games so much on the computer when he was over there? Did this infuriate Dakota that he had been told he couldn't do something?

Whatever he said in his police interview was enough for the DA to determine this case warranted him being tried as an adult. So IMO his reasons for murdering his grandfather were probably shocking because it was such a trivial motive.

imo

well they convienently left out motive when they released portions of the police report. i find it hard to believe that he just did it cause he felt like it

This case is really bothering me and I'm not finding any updates. I don't think we've seen this, though. There's some details that were new to me. I have a lot of doubts about the admissibility of these tapes:

http://www.crimenews2000.com/news.php?extend.2499

"The family of Dakotah Eliason were at last able to reunite with him Sunday, a week from the day the 14-year-old was arrested for allegedly killing his grandfather, his attorney Lanny Fisher confirmed Sunday afternoon.

“The family, father (Steven Eliason), stepmother and biological mother (Mary Apfel) went and was able to visit with him from 3:30 to 5 p.m.,” Fisher said, adding that they told Eliason they were behind him as he faces charges of open murder. “They said it went really well,” Fisher said.

Eliason appeared Friday in court during a pre-exam conference before Judge Scott Schofield. It was the first time his parents were able to see him, though they did not interact and Eliason was only present for a few brief moments. Later that day, news was released that he was under observation – officials worried he might be a danger to himself."

and

"Since the shooting, Fisher said he and the family have had a chance to review two tapes regarding Eliason’s arrest.

“I can tell you there is a tape from the police camera (inside the police car) that’s about 90 minutes long,” Fisher said. That tape takes place during the time Eliason was seated in the back seat of the police cruiser and law enforcement officers were “clearing the scene.” The other tape is a “one hour long interview at the police station.....”

and

"Fisher said a video camera had been placed in Eliason’s room and that a “live human being” was checking on him every 15 minutes. This is just the latest example of the stark contrast many seem to be seeing in the Niles High School freshman, who has never been in trouble with the law before and has always been seen as kind and “extremely loving” by his family.

more at link

kbl--I have to agree, there's something very fishy about this. I don't know what to think. Notice that his family is rushing to support him. That was very very different for Andrew Conley. Andrew also "snapped" and killed his little brother. His parents wanted nothing to do with him which led me to believe that they knew more than they were letting on. There's something very "off" on the dynamics with Dakotah. JMO

its all very strange......police arent releasing a motive (since they are trying him as an adult the usual juvy blackout isnt in effect0 and the parents arent giving a reason either.

I happen to fully agree with you on this one, kbl. The family knows the story and it's most likely a very sad story.

This story is local to me, the next town over from where I live. I've heard conflicting reports, some say the boy was an angry kid , others say it was totally out of character for him. I keep watching for updates in the news, but haven't seen much. There isn't alot of local chatter about it either, which I find odd.

( I realized after I registered that someone here is already Lurkeyloo, I wouldn't have taken this name had I realized that, don't want to step on anyones toes ! Sorry ! )

Welcome Lurkey Lou!! Please let us know if you hear anything. Something about this awful crime just strikes many of us as very odd.

Welcome. Glad to have you here.

Not hearing any stories of abuse coming out, though, are there? Seems like that would be the first thing someone would say if it were the case? At least a suggestion of it, as a possible defense?
I know I am a cynic, and was also never abused, so I can't speak to it...but would rather hold off on assuming the worst of the victim at this time. He was not, as far as we know, the one brandishing a shotgun. Nor doing anything else wrong that we are aware of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back