MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we are allowed on the children's forum because the RSOs are POI? I don't think they always are though. Wasn't Hailey Dunn's stepdad the topic of conversation from the get-go? Was he named as a POI by the police? I can't remember.

What about Brittney Wood? Has there not been much discussion of the criminals in her family? Her story is on the Missing Forum.

I am confused about the whole thing. Maybe a mod can explain

I sent Imamaze a message since she is the moderator, so I am hoping that those questions we have about this particular RSO/and RSO in general will be answered on the thread. :)

But how could LE even assume this much? I think she would have gone outside to help any customer who asked her, even if she did not know them.

Having been through Norton Shores and knowing a little about the community, I think that LE presumes that the perp is someone fairly local to this small town. I've never lived in a small town - except for a college campus - where I likely knew personally or at least recognized many colleagues from classes, the dorm, extra-curricular activities, etc.

That said, one of my sisters has lived for many years in a small town where everyone seems to know everyone's business. She thrives on knowing practically everyone in town and all the latest gossip! I tend to think that Norton Shores, MI is the type of place where folks know the comings and goings of their neighbors and others who live in the general vicinity and that is probably what prompts LE's meanderings. :moo:

Having been through Norton Shores and knowing a little about the community, I think that LE presumes that the perp is someone fairly local to this small town. I've never lived in a small town - except for a college campus - where I likely knew personally or at least recognized many colleagues from classes, the dorm, extra-curricular activities, etc.

That said, one of my sisters has lived for many years in a small town where everyone seems to know everyone's business. She thrives on knowing practically everyone in town and all the latest gossip! I tend to think that Norton Shores, MI is the type of place where folks know the comings and goings of their neighbors and others who live in the general vicinity and that is probably what prompts LE's meanderings. :moo:

But if he IS local...why can't they find this van? I just don't get it.

Hi,

I think LE could be doing something different but you don't know what they may know. I guarantee they are the most frustrated out of anybody when it comes to finding JH.

As for the individual(s) involved I would think they would at least have some familiarity, knowledge, or safety zone in the area of the abduction. If the van is involved it does not make sense to me to remove yourself from a site where you just kidnapped someone with force by not taking the interstate (31) which can be entered near the Exxon station and gives you multiple routes out of the area quickly.

I wish it was known if that vehicle that was leading the van in the Coin Zone video has had any contact with LE. It seems the footage of that vehicle was left in the video released to the public to maybe see if someone comes forward to say "that was me I saw this or I didn't see anything". I think there is enough footage between the time the lead vehicle leaves the camera view and the vehicle of interest enters that they could have cut first vehicle out if LE was not interested in knowing about it.

Are there any recent construction projects in the area where someone may have been staying temporarily in the area?

I also wonder if this station has any wholesale customer accounts for gasoline purchases? The company I work for has an account with a local gas station and we just sign for individual fuel purchases after the station manually swipes an account card, then at end of month my company pays one time payment off of a statement.

I don't know, just throwing suggestions out.

Hi,

I think LE could be doing something different but you don't know what they may know. I guarantee they are the most frustrated out of anybody when it comes to finding JH.

I agree with you that LE is probably the most frustrated, but much of that is their own doing. They feel that the perp is known to Jessica and is local, yet they can't trace a van they've ID'd as definitely being involved, nor ID the perp from a sketch they've declared a 10/10, and all within a relatively small jurisdiction? Even with DMV and the Secret Service helping out?

Hogwash.

This case gives me little hope of ever being found if I am abducted. Even if there are witnesses.

I agree with you that LE is probably the most frustrated, but much of that is their own doing. They feel that the perp is known to Jessica and is local, yet they can't trace a van they've ID'd as definitely being involved, nor ID the perp from a sketch they've declared a 10/10, and all within a relatively small jurisdiction? Even with DMV and the Secret Service helping out?

Hogwash.

IF LE thinks the perp is local, then why are they bewildered as to where the start a ground search ? The contradictions of simple logic found throughout the handling of this case are truly stunning. :scared:

I sent Imamaze a message since she is the moderator, so I am hoping that those questions we have about this particular RSO/and RSO in general will be answered on the thread. :)

I'm checking with Admin Treelights will let you all know when I find out.

Ima

This case gives me little hope of ever being found if I am abducted. Even if there are witnesses.

At this point in the "investigation" (and I use that term very loosely in this case), it is my last ditch hope a stranded motorist discovers crucial evidence while changing their flat tire on the side of the road (most likely within 5 miles of the Exxon station).

I feel like WS'ers could have gone through a list of a few thousand vans by now...

But if he IS local...why can't they find this van? I just don't get it.

Uuhhmm... The silver/grey minivan is not related to Jessica's disappearance? :maddening: The possibility that the description of the alleged abductor and subsequent sketch might be bogus? :pullhair: LE put all of their eggs in one basket? :rolleyes: Tunnel vision? :banghead:

:eek:fftobed:

Uuhhmm... The silver/grey minivan is not related to Jessica's disappearance? :maddening: The possibility that the description of the alleged abductor and subsequent sketch might be bogus? :pullhair: LE put all of their eggs in one basket? :rolleyes: Tunnel vision? :banghead:

:eek:fftobed:

Yes! All of the above, in my opinion.

Last weekend, I wanted to do a little sleuthing so my husband and I took a ride over to Norton Shores and stopped at the Exxon. First thing I saw was a bunch of red spray paint on the ground in the back of the store sloppily applied to a gas cover. Talk about heart-stopping.

Anyway, the store was fairly deserted in the middle of the afternoon. Only two other people there besides us. Looks like it is being boycotted. They did have the Missing poster taped on the front door and the suspect sketch is taped to the checkout counter. A big, strong-looking man was working. The store is clean and tidy, but seems a little run-down at the edges. Some of the shelves seemed a little empty. There was a big wooden stick sitting near the back door. To prop the door open or for self-defense? Not sure (that was always my family's weapon of choice) Oh, and there were shiny new security cameras in the corners!

There are large glass windows across the front and side of the store. A clerk would be able see cars coming from a long distance away. (maybe Jessica felt comfortable to sneak outside for a quick smoke or to run the trash out?) On the other hand, anyone outside would have a great view of the interior at night. But the back side of the store - that's another story. Totally isolated, probably very dark and spooky at night. The dumpster is closer to the car wash next door, probably 150 feet away. I would not want to be the person taking the trash out at night, that's for sure.

Then we followed the path the van took that night. It runs right next to an airport, and it's also somewhat isolated, lots of open space on one side. We both had the impression that this guy is local and was comfortable/familiar with this road. I would think you'd want to get back on the highway and merge with other traffic as soon as possible. There are little dark wooded nooks and crannies behind the airport and a cemetery. In fact, there are little dead ends and wooded areas throughout this area.

Checked out the Ross Park parking lot. We doubted anything happened here - it has a rather large parking lot, and April 26 was one of the first warm-ish days we've had here - there would have been a chance of people being here, kids parking, police patrols, etc.

I cannot help but think of some of the RSOs people were sleuthing earlier. They live just a few minutes down the road. But I also can't imagine doing this in your own backyard! I wonder if the police have a few strong suspects, but just can't pin anything on them?

Last weekend, I wanted to do a little sleuthing so my husband and I took a ride over to Norton Shores and stopped at the Exxon. First thing I saw was a bunch of red spray paint on the ground in the back of the store sloppily applied to a gas cover. Talk about heart-stopping.

Anyway, the store was fairly deserted in the middle of the afternoon. Only two other people there besides us. Looks like it is being boycotted. They did have the Missing poster taped on the front door and the suspect sketch is taped to the checkout counter. A big, strong-looking man was working. The store is clean and tidy, but seems a little run-down at the edges. Some of the shelves seemed a little empty. There was a big wooden stick sitting near the back door. To prop the door open or for self-defense? Not sure (that was always my family's weapon of choice) Oh, and there were shiny new security cameras in the corners!

There are large glass windows across the front and side of the store. A clerk would be able see cars coming from a long distance away. (maybe Jessica felt comfortable to sneak outside for a quick smoke or to run the trash out?) On the other hand, anyone outside would have a great view of the interior at night. But the back side of the store - that's another story. Totally isolated, probably very dark and spooky at night. The dumpster is closer to the car wash next door, probably 150 feet away. I would not want to be the person taking the trash out at night, that's for sure.

Then we followed the path the van took that night. It runs right next to an airport, and it's also somewhat isolated, lots of open space on one side. We both had the impression that this guy is local and was comfortable/familiar with this road. I would think you'd want to get back on the highway and merge with other traffic as soon as possible. There are little dark wooded nooks and crannies behind the airport and a cemetery. In fact, there are little dead ends and wooded areas throughout this area.

Checked out the Ross Park parking lot. We doubted anything happened here - it has a rather large parking lot, and April 26 was one of the first warm-ish days we've had here - there would have been a chance of people being here, kids parking, police patrols, etc.

I cannot help but think of some of the RSOs people were sleuthing earlier. They live just a few minutes down the road. But I also can't imagine doing this in your own backyard! I wonder if the police have a few strong suspects, but just can't pin anything on them?

When you mentioned the airport, it brought up a thought that I had previously, but I dismissed it, but seeing as there's not much to go in in Jessica's case, I will just expound on that thought.
I wonder what private flights left that night or the next day. I wonder if there are personal hangars and such that a van could be hidden, or a different car that she was taken in. If it was a small private plane, it is possible she could have been subdued and taken as a passenger.?That would get her out of plain sight. Also, if there really was a van used and if this is the case, the van could be hidden elsewhere, too, and another car in the vicinity of the airport, or it was a "drop off" point and there are several perps. Just a thought and just my opinion.......

Anyway, the store was fairly deserted in the middle of the afternoon. Only two other people there besides us. Looks like it is being boycotted. They did have the Missing poster taped on the front door and the suspect sketch is taped to the checkout counter. A big, strong-looking man was working. A big, strong man working a day shift while petite Jessica worked alone until closing - something wrong with this picture :rolleyes: The store is clean and tidy, but seems a little run-down at the edges. Some of the shelves seemed a little empty. There was a big wooden stick sitting near the back door.To prop the door open or for self-defense? Not sure (that was always my family's weapon of choice) Oh, and there were shiny new security cameras in the corners! In an early interview, it was suggested that Jessica might have stepped outside for a smoke. I'll bet that's why the wooden stick is there - to prop the door while employees smoke.

There are large glass windows across the front and side of the store. A clerk would be able see cars coming from a long distance away. (maybe Jessica felt comfortable to sneak outside for a quick smoke or to run the trash out?) On the other hand, anyone outside would have a great view of the interior at night. But the back side of the store - that's another story. Totally isolated, probably very dark and spooky at night.The dumpster is closer to the car wash next door, probably 150 feet away. I would not want to be the person taking the trash out at night, that's for sure. When DH and I spent a night at the Fairfield Inn in Norton Shores, we had trouble finding the place because the entire area was very dark, especially after midnight. Even though we had good directions and a map, we still had trouble finding the hotel and had to call the front desk for assistance. The night manager said that we were on the right road and to count the stop lights that would get us to the Fairfield! I mentioned above that Jessica might have smoked; trash was bagged and ready to be taken out at closing.

Then we followed the path the van took that night. It runs right next to an airport, and it's also somewhat isolated, lots of open space on one side. We both had the impression that this guy is local and was comfortable/familiar with this road. I would think you'd want to get back on the highway and merge with other traffic as soon as possible. There are little dark wooded nooks and crannies behind the airport and a cemetery. In fact, there are little dead ends and wooded areas throughout this area. As I've already mentioned, the entire area was dark and desolate, especially late at night :eek:

Thanks for taking the time to visit Norton Shores and share your observations with us. The trip would take me about 3 hours. My responses in red within text above.

Several peeps here spent a lot of time researching RSOs in Norton Shores and neighboring communities. LE also questioned some local RSOs and didn't come up with anything significant. LE believes that Jessica most likely knew or was at least acquainted with her abductor who might or might not be a sex offender - registered or otherwise.

This (above) is correct. If some of you who have questions about this issue, will go back to Thread #1 you will see, beginning with post #126 and then picking up again around post #287, many of the RSOs were discussed in that thread.

Please also refer to our Rules on discussing Registered Sex Offenders:

NEW RULES ON SEX OFFENDERS. WHAT YOU CAN AND CANNOT DO ON WEBSLEUTHS

It seems there is a legal consideration concerning whether we are allowed to bring information to Websleuths from the actual sex offender registry.

It is illegal to use the sex offender register information to harass anyone. We would never condone this at Websleuths.

It is not illegal (in my opinion) if when a child goes missing or is harmed we look at the sex offenders in the area and post their information, along with maps to show how close they live to the victim.

In every case we have local people reading and posting here. Therefore we are within the guidelines using this info for local information.

Again, we are not EVER going to even hint at harassing anyone on the sex offenders list. Any posting we do about a sex offender will always be within the law.

If any of you have other questions about what you can and can't post please ask them here and we will do our best to clear things up.

As for the discussion of the person close to the family who is a RSO, it is my recollection that he was cleared early in the case. Please see post #592 in Thread #1. Although his name isn't mentioned in that article, I do believe he was mentioned as being cleared at a later presser. This is the reason he is not allowed to be discussed as a person of interest.

Hope this helps to clear up a few things.

When you checked out the Ross Park parking lot, did you drive down either of the hills to the Mona Lake access? It is very wooded along both paths. I just drove back in there again yesterday. On a chilly April night, I don't think you'd see anyone unless it was LE doing a check. We used to drive down there to make out and smoke pot in my high school days! I don't know if kids still go there.

When you checked out the Ross Park parking lot, did you drive down either of the hills to the Mona Lake access? It is very wooded along both paths. I just drove back in there again yesterday. On a chilly April night, I don't think you'd see anyone unless it was LE doing a check. We used to drive down there to make out and smoke pot in my high school days! I don't know if kids still go there.

Hi Flutterby - that's exactly what that park reminded me of....going parking in high school and always trying to avoid the police! Do kids even do that anymore? We did go down to the lake access. You are right about it being wooded...it didn't even feel like it was part of town! But it seems to me with all the other little scary hidey-holes around, there would be more private places for the abductor to go, less chance of getting interrupted.

Treelights - I don't know anything about the airport, but my DH pointed out that airports usually have lots of security, especially after 9/11, and anyone in their right mind wouldn't go messing around one, or would avoid it entirely, assuming there are security cameras everywhere. Sadly, it doesn't sound like the airport had any cameras around the back fence?

BetteDavis, you are right about it being so isolated. There is no way I'd want to stop there for gas at night, even long before this happened. The gas station area was like an open field, but just down the road it gets wooded with a sort of -out-in-the-country feel.

Flutterby, what is the mood like in Muskegon/Norton Shores? Are people still talking about the kidnapping? When we were there, it felt like everyone was checking everyone else out. I can't imagine, it's nerve-wracking to me, and I don't even live there. I hope they catch the guy before he strikes again.

IF LE thinks the perp is local, then why are they bewildered as to where the start a ground search ? The contradictions of simple logic found throughout the handling of this case are truly stunning. :scared:

Can anyone here ever recall a case where there was no ground search by LE?
WHY are they not doing it? There has to be a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley