Found Deceased MI - Jina Collins, 19, Flint, 31 December 2013

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article262574677.html

The Flint Police Department was called to the abandoned house in the 3200 block of Lapeer Road on May 26 after the human remains were found, according to a June 15 news release.

The remains were recently confirmed to belong to Collins.
Authorities have not determined a cause of death. Collins was 19 when she went missing Dec. 31, 2013, according to nonprofit Flint Police Operations. Crime Stoppers of Flint say Collins had last been seen alive near the intersection of Pettibone Ave and Fenton Road.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article262574677.html#storylink=cpy

The woman had a son at the time of her disappearance, according to her family. “My cousin Jina Collins was found, after 8 long years of searching and putting her face everywhere- she was found… not alive,” Brittany Collins shared on Facebook. “I watch a lot of crime shows so i expected that but it hurts so much more than i expected now that it’s confirmed.”

FLINT, Mich. (TCD) -- Human remains that were discovered in an abandoned house in May have been positively identified as a woman who was last seen in 2013.

According to the Flint Police Department, on May 26, officers responded to a building on the 3200 block of Lapeer Road after receiving a call about the discovery of the remains. On Wednesday, June 15, the department identified the remains as those of Jina Collins, who went missing eight years ago.

In June 2014, Flint Police shared a missing persons bulletin of Collins, which says she was reported missing Dec. 31, 2013. Collins was last seen on Flint's south side near Pettibone Avenue and Fenton Road.

Collins' cause of death has not yet been determined.

MORE:

Jina Collins

Jina Collins (Crime Stoppers)
FLINT, Mich. – The remains of a Flint woman who vanished eight years ago have been found inside an abandoned house.

Jina Collins was reported missing on Dec. 31, 2013. She was last seen on Flint’s south side near Pettibone Avenue and Fenton Road.

According to NBC25, her remains were found on May 26 in the 3200 block of Lapeer Road inside an abandoned house. The remains were confirmed to belong to Collins in June.

A cause of death has not been determined.

Jina Collins

Jina Collins disappeared New Year’s Eve 2013, authorities in Michigan said.

Now about eight years later, police found her remains in an abandoned home, about eight miles away from where she vanished in south Flint.

The Flint Police Department was called to the abandoned house in the 3200 block of Lapeer Road on May 26 after the human remains were found, according to a June 15 news release. The remains were recently confirmed to belong to Collins.

Collins was 19 when she went missing Dec. 31, 2013, according to nonprofit Flint Police Operations. Crime Stoppers of Flint say Collins had last been seen alive near the intersection of Pettibone Ave and Fenton Road.

Condolences to Jina's family and friends.

There are many questions regarding this case. The house in Flint where Jina was found looks like it's been abandoned for quite some time. I've not seen any reports about how long Jina may have been deceased inside that house (days, months, years). None of the MSM reports I've seen so far indicate a cause of death or provided many details in general.

Condolences to Jina's family and friends.

There are many questions regarding this case. The house in Flint where Jina was found looks like it's been abandoned for quite some time. I've not seen any reports about how long Jina may have been deceased inside that house (days, months, years). None of the MSM reports I've seen so far indicate a cause of death or provided many details in general.
It's been a while since I looked at any of the initial reports. Maybe someone can refresh my memory: were there any indications that Jina had substance abuse problems? Many drug addicts use abandoned houses to get high, so an overdose in an abandoned house would not be out of the question.
However, we had a serial killer here in the Detroit area who was taking women to abandoned houses, having sex with them, and then beating them to death.
He was active in Detroit in 2018 and 2019. Maybe he spent some time in Flint prior to that. If it wasn't him, it could have been someone with a similar MO.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I looked at any of the initial reports. Maybe someone can refresh my memory: were there any indications that Jina had substance abuse problems? Many drug addicts use abandoned houses to get high, so an overdose in an abandoned house would not be out of the question.
However, we had a serial killer here in the Detroit area who was taking women to abandoned houses, having sex with them, and then beating them to death.
He was active in Detroit in 2018 and 2019. Maybe he spent some time in Flint prior to that. If it wasn't him, it could have been someone with a similar MO.

This is a good question. I don't know much about Jina's background, and the few available MSM reports don't provide much information, but if she had a history of substance abuse then it is possible this may have contributed to her being found in that old, abandoned house. Until LE releases some information we just don't know.

1663205784893.jpegJina Collins went missing December 31, 2013. For years, her family searched for her, never giving up hope. Sadly, their hopes gave way to grief when Jina’s remains were discovered in a vacant home on Lapeer Road in Flint.

But who owned the vacant house? ABC 12 did some digging and discovered the property was owned by the Mass Transportation Authority. The MTA purchased the property in January from the Genesee County land bank and the purchase is what led to the discovery of Jina’s body.

According to MTA CEO Ed Benning, once MTA owned the property, the MTA sent a crew to evaluate the property to start the demolition process. Only, the crew discovered a squatter in the house. Once the squatter was evicted, contractors went back to the house to assess the home for asbestos and lead. When they went into the basement, that’s when they discovered Jina’s remains.

It’s still unknown how long Jina’s body was in the house, or how it got there. Her sister tells ABC 12, finding Jina’s remains has left them with more questions.

According to Flint police, Jina’s death is still an open and active investigation.

The home is expected to be demolished sometime this month.
1663205601408.png

But their hopes gave way to grief in late May, when Collins' remains were discovered in a vacant home in the 3200 block of Lapeer Road in Flint.

Contractors went back to the house after that process to assess the home for asbestos and lead. That's when they discovered Collins' remains in the basement.

View attachment 366310Jina Collins went missing December 31, 2013. For years, her family searched for her, never giving up hope. Sadly, their hopes gave way to grief when Jina’s remains were discovered in a vacant home on Lapeer Road in Flint.

But who owned the vacant house? ABC 12 did some digging and discovered the property was owned by the Mass Transportation Authority. The MTA purchased the property in January from the Genesee County land bank and the purchase is what led to the discovery of Jina’s body.

According to MTA CEO Ed Benning, once MTA owned the property, the MTA sent a crew to evaluate the property to start the demolition process. Only, the crew discovered a squatter in the house. Once the squatter was evicted, contractors went back to the house to assess the home for asbestos and lead. When they went into the basement, that’s when they discovered Jina’s remains.

It’s still unknown how long Jina’s body was in the house, or how it got there. Her sister tells ABC 12, finding Jina’s remains has left them with more questions.

According to Flint police, Jina’s death is still an open and active investigation.

The home is expected to be demolished sometime this month.
View attachment 366309
So a squatter was living there while Jina's body was in the basement? That's downright creepy. I hope that squatter was thoroughly investigated.

If I ever decide to squat in an abandoned house, I think I'll choose one that doesn't have a dead body in the basement.

Has there been any official statement regarding the timing and cause of Jina's death? The information I've seen doesn't indicate whether she died recently or if she has been deceased for years.

Has there been any official statement regarding the timing and cause of Jina's death? The information I've seen doesn't indicate whether she died recently or if she has been deceased for years.
It would be reasonable to assume that she died around the time she disappeared, barring any information to the contrary.

It would take some sort of Nancy-Drew-level-mystery plot for her to have disappeared for 8 1/2 years only to die right before being found.

I would agree, logically it makes sense that Jina probably passed away shortly after she disappeared. AFAIK her family had no contact with her after her disappearance in 2013. The MSM reports that I read didn't provide many details about the discovery of her remains.

I'm not positive how long that house in Flint has been 'abandoned', it looks to be in poor condition, but if various people had been living there in recent years apparently no one reported Jina's remains until the contractors arrived earlier this year.

Any confirmation on when the house became abandoned or if she has been there since 2013?
Couldn't find any information on the date of abandonment, but it looks like house was demolished in December 2022.

Flint house where missing woman's remains were discovered will be demolished
FLINT, Mich. (WJRT) - The home on Lapeer Road in Flint, where a woman's body was found earlier this year, will be demolished.

Jina Collins disappeared on Dec. 31, 2013. For years, her family searched for her and never gave up hope.

But their hopes gave way to grief in late May, when Collins' remains were discovered in a vacant home in the 3200 block of Lapeer Road in Flint.

The property was owned by the Mass Transportation Authority, which purchased it in January from the Genesee County Land Bank. The transaction is what led to the discovery of Collins' body.

MTA CEO Ed Benning said his organization sent a crew to evaluate the property to start the demolition process after acquiring it. The crew discovered a squatter in the house, who was evicted.

Contractors went back to the house after that process to assess the home for asbestos and lead. That's when they discovered Collins' remains in the basement.

Investigators are not sure how long Collins' body was in the home or how it got there. Her sister said the discovery left family members with more questions.

The Flint Police Department says an investigation into Collins' death remains open and active. The home is expected to be demolished sometime this month.

Photo of house (3245 Lapeer Rd.) captured from Google Maps, taken by Google in Jun 2021
Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 2.12.17 AM.png

Does anyone know if Jina's cause of death has been released? I haven't seen anything official from MSM or LE since her remains were found in the basement of this home.

Does anyone know if Jina's cause of death has been released? I haven't seen anything official from MSM or LE since her remains were found in the basement of this home.

Nothing, and I'm local. Flint Police Dept is understaffed, under-funded, and they seemed indifferent to Jina and the other missing women in the area. ZERO judgment from me, but sex workers are low on their priority list, I fear...

Jina's case has haunted me, since the first reports of her missing a week or so after. I saw her on the night she disappeared. Likely very close to the time. We'd had no power for almost a week, and I was going to the gas station to fill generator cans. I was at the corner, just a few feet from her. She looked so young and out of place, wading through a snow bank. I briefly considered asking her if I gave her some money, she'd go home. But, I feared she could be undercover LE, or sting bait, and getting arrested at midnight on NYE, while my wife, two preschoolers, and an elderly neighbor all froze because the generator died and I had the car and cans, would be a bad thing. The immediate area where she was, and the one she ended up at, are/were known spots for drugs and prostitution. I try to tell myself it wouldn't have changed anything. I try...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back