MI MI - JOHN NORMAN COLLINS Co-Ed Murders 1967-69, Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti

Gary Leiterman was convicted in 2005 for the 1969 murder of Jane Mixer.

Although there might be some controversy regarding Gary Leiterman's conviction for the murder of Jane Mixer, her case was always associated with the Michigan "Co-Ed Murders".

Leiterman was only convicted of one murder - that of Jane Mixer, based on DNA evidence. IF he killed Jane, could he have killed others too? If he didn't kill Jane, who did?

LINK:

Gary Leiterman, 62, of Gobles, Michigan, arraigned Nov. 24, 2004 in the 1969 slaying of Jane Louise Mixer, 23, of Muskegon. She was a University of Michigan law student.

Gary Leiterman, 62, of Gobles, Michigan, arraigned Nov. 24, 2004 in the 1969 slaying of Jane Louise Mixer, 23, of Muskegon. She was a University of Michigan law student who was abducted and murdered in March 1969.

The murder of Jane Mixer was originally linked by investigators to what they believed was a series called "The Co-ed Murders". Some believed that it was separate from the others due to a number of differences in MO.

DNA was obtained from Jane's clothing which was still being stored in evidence and compared to a data base of known offenders, which led to a match with the DNA of Gary Leiterman. He was charged, tried and convicted of her murder and sentenced to life in prison. He has since died.

Leiterman has not been connected with any of the other Co-ed murders.

LINK:

John Norman Collins​

Some know John Norman Collins, now 74 and serving a life sentence at Ionia Correctional Facility, as "the Ypsilanti Ripper," or "the Co-Ed Killer."

Collins grew up in Michigan. The seven women he killed between 1967 and 1969, most in and around Ypsilanti, became known as "the Michigan Murders."

Then-suspect John Norman Collins is led off to jail after his arraignment on charges in Ann Arbor.

Some people call him Michigan's Ted Bundy, but Carpenter points out that Collins killed his victims before Bundy killed any of his.

"It's kind of ironic, but he was a handsome, clean-cut, college student," she said. "He was in a fraternity at Eastern Michigan (University), he was majoring in elementary education.

"Those who didn't know Collins well then described him as nice, polite and respectful," Carpenter said.

The women and girls he killed ranged in age from 13 to 21.

"Most of them were last seen alone at night, walking down the street," Carpenter said, and most of their bodies were found mutilated and naked...

"He very much reveled in his crimes," she said, and was known for returning to several places where he had left the bodies of the women he murdered.

Collins was eventually arrested and convicted of murdering Karen Sue Beineman, 18 and an Eastern Michigan University student.

In a letter to a Detroit Free Press reporter who'd requested an interview in 2019, Collins denied his guilt, writing, "I felt somewhat obliged to at least give you a brief response since you have been kind of a 'PAIN IN THE *advertiser censored*' with your persistance. lol"

In recent years, Collins had "revealed disturbing new information that confirmed some of law enforcement's decades-old suspicions," according to Michigan State Police detectives, the Free Press reported...

LINK:

Here is a video of "Kelly and Company" from 1989 which covered the 1967 - 69 Michigan Co-Ed Murders. It includes interviews with John Norman Collins.

LINK:

Last edited:
Thanks @Richard for posting that video. I’ve either never seen it or had forgotten about it.
I started following JNC and his cases after I read the Keyes book in elementary school back in the late 1970s. Yes I was a weird child.
Watching this, I was surprised to feel like so many in the audience didn’t firmly believe he murdered those women.

Thanks @Richard for posting that video. I’ve either never seen it or had forgotten about it.
I started following JNC and his cases after I read the Keyes book in elementary school back in the late 1970s. Yes I was a weird child.
Watching this, I was surprised to feel like so many in the audience didn’t firmly believe he murdered those women.
I had posted a link to "Kelly and Company" a few years ago, but the link went defunct, so I found this one.

The Keyes book is a good one, and he sticks pretty close to the facts in the case as it progressed and was being investigated/reported. Reading it today is a bit difficult because he changed all the names in his account. I believe it was published about 1976. Some time back, I posted a translation key with his names paired with their actual names.

Collins was only convicted of one murder - that of Karen Sue Beineman. However, DNA tests on stored evidence in recent years linked him forensically to not only her murder, but also to the murder of Alice Kalom. Pretty solid evidence also linked him strongly to the California murder of Roxie Ann Phillips.

Here is a translation key to some of the names used in The Michigan Murders by Edward Keyes for anyone who would like to understand who he is talking about.

Name in the book: ....... Real name:

James Armstrong ....... John Norman Collins

Marilyn Pindar ....... Mary Fleszar

Jill Hersh ....... Joan Schell

Jeanne Holder ....... Jane Mixer

Mary Grace Clemson ....... Maralynn Skelton

Dale Harum ....... Dawn Basom

Audrey Sakol ....... Alison Kalom

Carol Ann Gebhardt ....... Karen Sue Beineman

Ginger Lee Neary ....... Roxie Ann Phillips

Elizabeth Peters ....... Margaret Phillips

Edgar Hatton, Jr. ....... Ernest R. Bishop, Jr.

Tony Monte ....... Andrew Julian Manuel

Donald Baker ....... Arnold (Arnie) Davis

Reference:

Keyes, Edward (1976). The Michigan Murders. Reader's Digest Press. ISBN 978-0-472-03446-8.

Photo of Offender

John Norman "Waterhead" Collins, MDOC Number: 126833. Photo dated 2021.

John Norman Collins currently resides at the G. Robert Cotton Facility, located in Jackson, Michigan.

Here is a description of the various programs available to him (from the prison website):

G. Robert Cotton Facility offers several academic programs that include Adult Basic Education, General Education Development preparation, Special Education, English as a Second Language (ESL), Jackson College, Employment Readiness, and Food Technology training program. The facility has the Michigan Braille Transcribing Fund (MBTF), one of two prisons with the braille program in the State. The facility also has Michigan State Industries Print Shop and Mattress Factory. JCF is a Prisoner Re-entry facility for the statewide medical and the Wayne County population. The facility offers evidence-based cognitive programs such as Thinking for a Change (T4C), Chance for Life (CFL), Violence Prevention Program (VPP), Michigan Domestic Violence Program (MiDVP), Phase II Substance Abuse, Advanced Substance Abuse Treatment (ASAT), and Alcoholics Anonymous. JCF also has the Leader Dog for the Blind Program.

Prisoners are provided on-site medical, dental and mental health services. Serious medical problems are treated at the department’s Duane Waters Health Center (DWH).

Not mentioned are such luxuries as color TV, and green Jello desert on Wednesdays.

Unfortunately, his victims were never afforded the same considerations and benefits.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back